Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

VikingofRock posted:

However, there are occasionally rules that feel like they are "missing" to me. For example, I am currently the GM for an Abomination Vaults game, and one of my players loves to listen at the doors for whatever is in the next room.

Has your player purchased one of these yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Are these watermarked pdfs that are compatible with the Foundry pdf module? I was thinking of running strength of thousands sometime and this interests me greatly.

edit: They are, drat. Thank you for the link this is wonderful.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 18, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

Ah not a huge deal. I was trying to make a weapon-using monk and it seemed to really discourage that.

I'm really more interested int he difference in gameplay overall. My current group is doing Starfinder which is definitely halfway between the two.

Weapon using monks don't have to waste actions going into stances and have access to a wide range of interesting keywords on their attacks. I think they'd be a lot of fun to play in 2e. You aren't competing with constantly escalating unarmed damage dice like in 1st edition, as an added bonus.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I combined the beginner box, trouble in Otari, and abomination vaults by increasing the xp needed to level. Weaving them together worked really well and helped flesh out the town and npcs.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmmn. Does PF2 hit the same basic thing of PF1/3.0. Where there's a real difference in adventures between low and high level parties? If so, what are the best regarded or thread favorite published campaigns for levels 1-10ish?

Combat capabilities are designed to change most noticeably when spellcasters would get new odd level spells. So levels 5, 9, 13, and 17.

Characters are also really complex, people new to the system really shouldn't make high level characters while still learning the game.

Abomination Vaults is great and goes from 1-10.

Unlike D&D high level play actually works and there is no reason to avoid it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Witch focus spells are significantly better than Wizard focus spells. I also prefer their feats.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

hyphz posted:

Part 1

The tournament rules are woefully inadequate for the capabilities of level 11 characters, and most of the other team members and enforcers have only immediate combat spells. This means that party members with invisibility/mind control/summoning/teleport other can screw things up completely between matches. It's probably worth clarifying that this kind of shenanigans will get them disqualified if it's something your PCs might consider.

Because of the way the adventure is written, the PCs have to manage scarce spell resources but the opposing teams don't. This isn't very fair for a tournament, so I fudged that the arenas magically allow everyone to use all their spell slots while in a fight then resit them to how they were before the match as they leave. Planey waney stuff or something.

I think your second change might have caused the first problem.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 8, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I found you can wing it decently by using whatever unique abilities the monsters possess as often as possible. Even if the party isn't challenged (either due to the GM not making good tactical decisions or an undertuned encounter) it'll at least feal different from yet another dude making strikes.

Your goal isn't to kill everyone and players enjoy the occasional decisive win.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 23, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

Finally got back to my books to look at this stuff, and it looks like I'd be better off taking the lump sum and buying scrolls since I'm playing a Sorcerer? I certainly don't need half plate or an everburning torch after all.

There doesn't seem to be much data around on what equipment is useful for what yet that I can find and it's a bit vexing.

I don't know what level you are but spellcasters really want a magical staff and a Shadow Signet.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

Are all the ongoing campaign foundry modules as good as the Beginner's Box? Looking at this, there's like, 0 prep work needed to run this aside from making stairway connectors from scene to scene and reading ahead a little bit.

Very tempted to run Blood Lords if so.

Alkenstar is great but far from perfect. A few encounters don't have maps and it assumes previous experience DMing because stuff can get a bit crazy. Considering the module is designed for advanced / high complexity classes I think it is OK if everyone knows what they are doing.

Abomination Vaults is presented in such a way to mostly allow the GM to wing it. Being a dungeon helps.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

That Backfire Mantle is sick, my party has a bomb happy alchemist so we all definitely need to save up and buy some of those.

It was recently pointed out to me that bullets have the alchemical tag so it should even work on scatter guns.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

Is there a combo in any TTRPG as satisfying as the one two punch of Bon Mot into Demoralize?

It’s just, Action One: Say something profoundly mean about the goblins mother. Action two: “what are you gonna do about it little goblin? Are you gonna cry and run away like a scared little goblin?”, and thanks to the -2 from the Bon Mot, it’s a crit success and now it’s frightened 2 and you and all of your friends proceed to murder the target.

You are going to enjoy Bon Mot into Scare to Death

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm playing a Gunslinger in a Blood Lords game and the class is alright but I get to use my special class feature reloads like one out of every three encounters and it's lame as hell. Hopefully we stop fighting bunches of mindless undead soon.

I have a player in Alkenstar who is also a pistolero. Their special reload has no effect 90% of the time because enemies are either immune to mental effects or can only be demoralized 1/combat. Create a diversion needs to lose the mental trait, why can't you trick an ooze or zombie if it has the manipulate trait?

Which still wouldn't help that much, since he loads his gun at the end of his turn to keep fake out available. Any of the other options would have been better.

At this point he's a floating +3 to an ally's attack roll each round who rolls one crit per combat. If he doesn't use alchemical shot he won't even get past damage resistance. It is the worst class/archetype I've seen in pathfinder 2e. Before fake out + cooperative nature the player was having a really rough time feeling useful.

I tried the sniper archetype for a level 4 one-shot adventure and it was wonderful. Just one-shotting an enemy at the start of every fight with an alchemical crossbow while trying to figure out how to remain in cover while still having line of sight was extremely fun.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

Reminder that the Demoralize 'cooldown' is per target and per player using demoralize. If the Barbarian Demoralizes a target on turn one, the Pistolero absolutely can demoralize them on round 2 and so on and so forth. This obviously doesn't help in Construct fights, but I've played through about half of Outlaws of Alkenstar now, and I'd say there's humanoids or animals in roughly half or more of the combats we've had. Plenty of opportunities to scare someone.

We've been running it correctly (no one else has any charisma so he's alone demoralizing enemies) and sometimes his reload even applies fleeing(!) but when you are making a demoralize every single round you can quickly run out of targets.

Pistolero needs a reload benefit without the mental tag unless they are supposed to be painfully campaign dependent. He didn't take running reload and I think that is kinda on him at this point. Using Alchemical Shot (which he did take) would be a lot more feasible if he could still position while using it.

The party is currently level 9, nearly done with the campaign, and between the abundance of physical resistance and mental immune enemies he's always been last in terms of usefulness. The player recently told me that they'll never play another gunslinger even though the campaign itself has been fun and the non-combat sections have been great for a charisma focused character.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

i have in my possession a copy of ogl 1.2 and it has been interpreted by a big law lawyer and rolling for stats is now the only legal way to make characters

I guess all gaming is dead then

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Unfortunately, there is no good solution anymore since pathbuilder isn't actively updating and herolabs is poop.

What is this about pathbuilder?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Is there a decent way to use a staff as a bard and still get the +1/2/3 item bonus that DCs assume you'll be getting? I'm only finding two-handed instruments and alchemical elixers.

Not being able to use magical staves seems kinda bad, especially with lower spell slots than sorcerers or wizards.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

You can put Fundamental Runes (potency and striking) on a staff just fine.

You just can’t put Property Runes (like Flaming, Wounding, etc) on one.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=748

(There’s a Magus feat to put property runes on a Staff, but I don’t think it’s accessible via a dedication)

Sorry, I meant an item bonus to performance, sorry! Making very hard DC skill checks that scale with your level is a thing expected of bards and I was looking for ways to make it happen reliably.

Red Metal posted:

Each skill page on Archives of Nethys has a table behind a dropdown with every item that grants a bonus to that skill. Here's the page for Performance.

I checked that previously and the answer seems to be no. Maestro's instrument takes 2 hands. Seems extremely weird when some other skills have worn items that can give bonuses to all checks.

One handed instruments exist, they are referenced in the bard class and the thaumaturge's bell, but I've not found any that aid in performance.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 14, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

Persona Mask and Horn of Blasting should both work?

Is the lack of +3 versions not a big deal? The difference between succeeding on a skill check and critically succeeding is pretty big for inspire heroics.

Horn of Blasting probably wins out. I love how bards can play an instrument instead of using spell components.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

queeb posted:

hello friends the D&D drama has made me look at pathfinder and now my group is really excited to try it out and maybe do an AP, i am excited. Just grabbed the beginner box, and then we'll look at whats available for a campaign and dive right in. I'm a DM so yay for having a ton of work ahead learning something new buuuuut poo poo, just reading the feats and stuff things seem so much more dynamic than 5e, especially martials.

I may try and steer them towards kingmaker beacuse i played and beat the game and loved it, so i have some of that inbuilt knowledge lol.

You can pretty seamlessly go from the beginner box to a combination of Abomination Vaults and Troubles in Otari. Each chapter of the Otari book can be used as town-based filler between delves into the vaults.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

queeb posted:

Ok awesome, that may be a better idea before diving into something as huge as kingmaker.

Is 3 an OK party size for PF2E? We made 5E work, we have a 4th that sometimes plays but usually its 3 players and me DM.

A party of three with an extra level is about as good as a party of 4. This actually makes beginner box -> first chapter of troubles in otari -> abomination vaults flow extremely well. Add in additional chapters from troubles when they make sense.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cool Dad posted:

I'll look into the spells y'all recommended for tonight's session. I tried Inner Radiance Torrent, spent two full rounds charging my laser. By the time I finished the fighters had mopped up all but one guy, and he made his save and took 9 damage.

I'm not really keen on charging up radiance for two rounds but did you heighten it? Offensive spells that deal damage really need to be cast with your highest level slots to be worthwhile.

Is your corgi an animal companion? If you didn't ride it you'd probably have more interesting turns spending an action giving it commands.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

queeb posted:

Ok, starting the beginner box this weekend, and then doing the troubles in otari/abomination vaults combination. Anyone have any suggestions on ways to splice them together nicely?

What I was doing, which worked wonderfully until my computer died, was slow xp progression (I think it was 1200 per level) and the following order:

Beginner Box

Old Fishery

First level of the vaults through the ghostlight cemetery fight.
Having already already saved the town from a dragon it felt more natural for the party to be approached about the lighthouse glowing at night. I made the fey more challenging by engaging in a tactical retreat / ambush whenever possible. It ended up being two big fights instead of a bunch of little ones. Base this on party size and level.

Post cemetery fight do the next Otari adventure. There isn't an immediate threat with the vaults and downtime is expected.

After dealing with the lumber conflict start up abomination vaults again. This is where I lost everything but sprinkle in otari stuff whenever characters need a break and are level appropriate

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I like combining them because it lets you really flesh out the different town personalities. Having non-vault problems also opens up the local setting a bit more so it doesn't just feel like a town attached to a dungeon.

Abomination Vaults is better but I think combining them, at least early on, helps give a sense of place.

Edit: We are going to restart abomination vaults after finishing Alkenstar and upon hearing we aren't doing TiO my players are already sad they won't meet the tiny friendly coatl.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Elves and Gnomes can also get it as an innate spell that levels with their class's spell proficiency.

Edit: Only relevant if you have good Charisma but I've seen Clerics with higher Charisma than Wisdom and Sorcerers and Oracles are fine.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 30, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

the_steve posted:

like some sort of trash goblin.
She just needs to figure out an ancestry

What about a trash goblin?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Roadie posted:

Stealth is actually very straightforward, it's just written in an awful way that spreads it across multiple parts of the book. Take a look at my mechanically equivalent but better-edited version of the stealth rules.

Thanks you for this, I'm going to share it with my players immediately.

Are there any other similar resources available? I prefer reading to YouTube videos.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I literally just bought the Abomination Vaults AP for Foundry at full price on Monday. Oh well, I thought it was a good deal at full price anyway.

I would have been in this same situation if our gaming group didn't miss a bunch of games over the holidays. We are finishing Alkenstar this Sunday and restarting AV with the premium module once that is finished.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The alkenstar campaign hands out several hundred gold in crafting materials. You can either sell them for half value or make them into discounted stuff.

Seems like if you want crafting in a game GMs need to support it by giving out materials. It is easy to do, just give a % of the expected treasure per level as materials. Use a higher % the more important you want crafting to be.

I'm glad crafting isn't busted in this game. As someone who played a 3.x artificer that could turn a small bit of xp into huge amounts of money and items and completely break the game I never want see crafting better than adventuring for becoming more powerful again. It sucked.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

“Crafting materials” is honestly such a lazy, insulting and garbage bandaid for a terrible crafting system lmao

I've never seen someone who actuality gave a poo poo about crafting and didn't just want free power. The original posted complaint was exactly this.

I know coming from other systems people immediately gravitate towards wizards and crafting because it is how you break those other games and I'm glad they end up disappointed.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

Uh sorry that you play with people who are or are yourself a dick about crafting in other systems, maybe don’t do that? What a terrible attitude. Crafting should be good and worthwhile to do and not mechanically equivalent to panhandling but being really good at panhandling.

Yeah, I recently played with a crafting wizard who was a huge dick in and out of the game. It sucks.

How is that related to your strange need for crafting to be better at making money than being a legendary performer called upon by the heavens themselves to arrange and perform in a brand new opera?

Each skill having an equivalent way to make money is a feature, not a bug.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Piell posted:

Crafting is supposed to be a major part of the system, to the point where two classes are supposedly heavily focused on making items (Alchemist and Inventor), and to make them work they basically just entirely ignore the crafting system and make poo poo for free instantly.

Also the making money system is pretty pointless and shouldn't be a consideration in anything

It would be cool if the new treasure vault could somehow make everyone happy in that regard.

I think the first step if you need better crafting would be making all downtime actions better. You'd also need to either give xp during downtime or standardize downtime per level (the later could be terrible depending on the campaign). Otherwise, you'll break the tight math and make encounter building a headache.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Piell posted:

Also the making money system is pretty pointless and shouldn't be a consideration in anything, everyone has effectively the same results anyway so it's boring and pointless busywork that doesn't interact with anything. People take crafting skill increases and feats because they want to be able to craft things, and it's basically pointless when you can just use your Athletics or a Lore skill instead and not have to waste picks on something that has basically no effect 90%+ of the time

Alchemist class feats should give you enough of a bonus to impact your character's capabilities, I'll readily agree with that. Alchemist feats in general are terrible though, mostly just a bunch of math fixes and garbage.

Skill feats range from extremely niche to gamechanging. I wish the mechanically worse, flavorful ones didn't take such a limited resource.

I agree it is a problem but I don't think the source of that problem is the crafting rules.

Don't forget you have to find a relevant job in other skills and you aren't guaranteed to get a job at the level you'd like. Crafting gives control over your own income. You can't just panhandle a level appropriate living.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My players are interested in Thaumaturge but we play on foundry and are spoiled by automation.

Are there any macros or modules to speed up applying their unique method of dealing damage? Alternatively, any cool stories about them to push us to try one regardless?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

How does melee reach work against enemies that are flying / otherwise vertically higher than the party? Lets say I have some enemies that are 8' up in the air, how would that work in practice?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Wonderful, thanks for the info!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Roadie posted:

The main thing to watch out for, system-wise, is that the game expects some level of real tactical engagement and teamwork from the whole group. If they just reenact the "stand still and use every action to attack" anecdotes I've seen a few times they'll have a bad time.

To add to this, classes published after the core rulebook often require more work to play. As an example, I have a gunslinger in my campaign who sometimes just wants to shoot things and it absolutely isn't a class for spamming bullets. They require layered buffs and debuffs from the entire team to reliably get fatal critical hits otherwise they are going to suck.

When properly supported they can do incredible things. New players don't know how to do this yet.

For the beginner box I'd stick to core classes and also avoid the alchemist.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

There is a relatively cheap weapon enchant that lets you spend an action to transform your weapon into another weapon with a single action. It takes just as long to draw a new weapon, so no time is wasted.

Combine that with the Mauler dedication at level 4 or 6, which gives the fighter's improved proficiency with a single weapon type with all 2-handed weapons, instead of just swords or whatever.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I wouldn't want to be a multi-weapon type fighter without mauler and 2-handers. A ton of the fighter's power is tied up in being +2 over everyone else and if you are throwing that away you should be another martial. Maybe a ranger or swashbuckler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Serf posted:

Might as well have some upside for being dead.

But skeletons and the undead archetypes are already cool and have lots of upsides. If they have blanket immunity they will be better than living characters.