Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

GimpInBlack posted:

One thing I'm not digging so much in reading the Lost Omens World Guide: it seems like there are a metric ton of cool adventure hooks... that were resolved by some random group of heroes a few years ago. I assume these are references to older APs, and yeah, it's easy enough to just ignore the "and then a brave band of heroes stopped this threat and saved the day" ending and treat it s still an active threat, but it's not exactly super thrilling to read.

The 2e campaign setting assumes all previous APs happened already, so there have to be references to adventurers accomplishing the challenges presented by the APs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Eastmabl posted:

So before I buy it, Mwangi Expanse isn't "Paizo does a racism duct-taped to a bigotry", right?

The 2e hardback? Oh no, definitely not. The 1e version was questionable, but the 2e hardback is light-years better.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CottonWolf posted:

Legendary Thief is a fun feat, but I really wish there was a follow up that let you steal literally impossible things. I want to steal hope from my enemies, or the memory of seeing me.

There was a 4e D&D Epic Destiny (Thief of Legend, Dragon #388) that allowed very similar things, including stealing your own soul away from Death itself. Maybe discuss it with your GM as an alternative 20th level Rogue feat?

(Note: I'll be the first to lead the charge into a "4e sucks as an actual game outside of combat" debate, but I'll be damned if they didn't have some cool-rear end ideas for Epic Destinies.)

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 10, 2022

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Syrinxx posted:

The Ghoran ancestry is pretty rad thematically and I am a sucker for cool unarmed attacks. Now I just need to find a game I can play one in

https://2e.aonprd.com/Ancestries.aspx?ID=52

e: I never played PF1 but I assume they were in it since there seems to be a lot of info about them already

Yes, Ghorans existed in 1e, but a lot of info? No, not really, but there is some.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Kitfox88 posted:

i appreciate the backwork engineering to arrive at that acronym

The term is "Backronym". Gets used all the time for NASA projects like the Large Ultraviolet Optical Infrared Surveyor, or LUVOIR, or in Congress, ala the Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act, or the USA PATRIOT Act.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is precision damage doubled on crits? e.g. a Hunter's Edge: Precision Ranger - would you double the d8 damage on a crit?

Yes, precision damage does multiply on a critical hit, but this is a specific change from 1e Pathfinder, so you might get people who have the old way stuck in their heads.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Serf posted:

The Battlezoo Bestiary is a 3rd party product that has a rule system that replaces crafting and loot entirely with a way to turn dead monsters into customized gear. It's pretty dope and it has options for fully replacing money/loot or just partially for some items. I recommend it highly at least as something to look into.

Battlezoo products are typically written by Paizo developers as side projects, so they're in this weird grey area of "3pp, but not really 3pp". If you have memories of bad, unbalanced 3pp stuff throwing a game out of whack, its a lot less likely here.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I started playing pf2e recently and have been having fun. The only complaint I have so far is fomo for other classes and I've been making characters in path builder that I'll likely never play.

That's part of the fun of Pathbuilder. Take whatever combo of ancestry, background, and class you want, and set them to level 20 and see what chaos you can unleash into the universe.

And then you start making them with Free Archetype and the madness really begins.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Has anyone used anything new from Treasure Vault? Opinions?

My old favorite 1e sorcerer character would have died to get his hands on the Starfaring Cloak. Any Desnan would.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Speaking of taking inspiration from the CRPG, (Kingmaker CRPG spoilers) is the Major Boon for Groteus in 2e based on Harrim's blessing from Groteus, or was that Boon described in an adventure path somewhere in 1e that I didn't read?

No, the 1e Boons are much more focused on insanity and fear effects, not decay.

1e stats

2e stats

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chevy Slyme posted:

(The ‘better’ way to play a ranged thaumaturge is probably to use a thrown weapon with a returning rune. But crossbows and guns ‘work’ thanks to the first level feat tax.)

I've toyed with the idea of MCU Thor as a Thaumaturge. Either Scroll Esoterica or else go for Sorcerer Archetype and the Elemental bloodline.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I've been giving my crafting PCs a free formula every level up, subject to my approval. It's really stupid that crafting forces either me, the DM, to drop formulas, or for the players to take an inventor feat (which imposes a money tax to invent). The obsession with making crafting players pay twice, once for the formula and once for the item, is bizarre. So now they at least get some default stuff that they can make if they want, with all the normal costs and such.

And 1e alchemists had all sorts of feat and discovery taxes to be able to function at about the same level as an archer or mage. Paizo just doesn't seem to like crafter classes.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

KPC_Mammon posted:

Everyone had feat taxes to function in 1ed. Spell focus, point blank shot, nearly everything was optimization and min/max crunch. What did this even mean?
It was my experience that even compared to other 1e classes, Alchemists were feat- and discovery-taxed to be "functional".

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there a rule written somewhere about whether normal arrows fired from a magical bow count as magical for resistances and stuff?

I've been playing some one-shots with other newbies and people who have been away from the game for a while, and while fighting Shadows nobody could remember. The general lack of magic ammunition makes it seem like the bow is all you need, but we couldn't find that written down anywhere.

The 1e rules are explicit on it, at least.

"Ranged Weapons and Ammunition: The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.

Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment gains the alignment of that projectile weapon."

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Are there any good actual plays, or maybe more 'overviews of actual plays', of the Kingmaker campaign, either edition?

I'd love to hear how others threaded all the adventures and exploration and such together in a way that at least kept the GM from just going nuts.

Other than LPs of the PC game?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Blockhouse posted:

people on the paizo forums are apoplectic about alignment being removed not understanding that this doesn't radically alter the cosmology of the setting

Erik Mona specified the Outer Planes were not going to be changing. The 4e D&D edition change radically altered their Outer Planes, so those of us who remember that debacle are still quite wary over such things. (FWIW, WotC reverted back to the old structure for 5e, so even they went back on the idea.)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jen X posted:

yeah 4e making the entire universe usable for gameplay instead of existing to fill space on a chart was great

Look, I'll accept that they hosed the Forgotten Realms in 4e but the Outer Planes stuff was great. It was alwaya stupid that there were "oops all water!" areas to "adventure" and turning it into primordial chaos was cool.

Cool and expanding the gameplay area vs. abandoning the idea of the planes being bigger and greater and more than just for mortals. Verisimilitude and consistency with now 50+ years of lore, or open and honest gamification. Arguments that have been at play for a long, long time now.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I really wish there was an artist out there creative enough to hear the prompt "D&D fighter wrestler" and come up with something other than a 1920s strong-man with Liefeld abs.

You might take a look at the Martial Arts Handbook volume from the 1e Player Compendium line. Tons of unarmed combatants in there, including a straight-up luchador.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

3 Action Economist posted:

They will still exist, you can still use them.

Paizo won't, though. And it's breaking away from 30+ years of my own gaming history from AD&D 1e through to Pathfinder 2e. The eight schools of magic, chromatic and metallic dragons, alignment. They're gone now.

Understanding why they're doing it and recognizing the basic necessity of it doesn't make the change any less jarring for those of us who saw Pathfinder as a continuation of things we'd been using in our games for 20, 30, 40 years. Now it's clearly a different game, and the ooooold school fans like me are going to have to make a decision on is it too much change, or not.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Silver2195 posted:

Chromatic and metallic dragons are a terrible concept. You can tell the good dragons from the bad dragons because the good ones are shiny? Really? Did anyone genuinely think that was an interesting idea?

WotC had started to get away from that as far back as Eberron, and Pathfinder had Hermea's ruler Mengkare from the start.

And I freely admit that a lot of this is just a "me" problem. When you have a 20+ year old campaign setting and things in it that were a big part of it (lots of focus on dragon society, not quite "Council of Wyrms"-level) will have to change if I want it to keep consistent with the updates to the core game, there's no way around it being a little upsetting.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

3 Action Economist posted:

Make the changes in-world. Progressive attitudes towards creatures so they're no longer all thought of as evil, except by boomers who refuse to change. New research in magic to break the idea of schools and the like.

Silver2195 posted:

I mean “20+ year old” means “since before D&D 3.5 came out,” so you’ve had to deal with bigger changes than this. Nobody’s making you change dragon-related lore in your home game (well, your players might, I guess, but is that the issue here?). At worst, you’ll need to tweak/homebrew some things if you want to use some future dragon-related content in your home game.

Oh, that's already a part of it. The Tarnished and the Shining. Clans (specific dragon type) and Clades (chromatic, metallic, planar, etc.) have "exchanges" for their Renegades, formally expelling them from one Clade to be adopted into another, but only in equal numbers. It's led to interesting things like a CG-aligned Blue Dragon desperately trying to find a renegade Brass Dragon, not as an enemy, but as a potential partner for the swap to keep their families happy overall.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 27, 2023

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

MonsterEnvy posted:

The concept not being super interesting does not matter. I like the designs and personalities of the dragons, and I will miss them. That's the extent of it. The new Dragons could be an improvement in every single way, and I will still miss the old ones.

This is part of it, too. 30+ years of design/personality continuity being discarded. For understandable reasons, true, but still, it's something a lot of old school gamers will miss.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

pork never goes bad posted:

I love this idea, though I realize not everyone will. Making lore changes part of the fiction of your world is so much more satisfying than just changing them by fiat (look at goblins!). But being able to mirror contemporary social trends in gaming and the ability to tell hopeful stories about positive movements actually succeeding and changing the world (again, goblins!!) is, I think, underappreciated by many in the wider gaming community that's, to some degree, obsessed with the grimdark. Paizo seem like they're embracing that possibility though, which to my mind is nothing but a good thing.

I'm definitely in the camp opposed to it, or at least feeling that Paizo seems to be too actively enthusiastic about it. Cheliax eliminating slavery altogether in favor of indentured servitude or sharecropping? It's just coming off as almost silly. The country whose monarchy is only propped up in power through literal contracts with Hell suddenly looks at slavery and says "oh, well that's just too far!"? Come on.

Now the idea might be that it's an active part of the diabolical plot. An more insidious evil, creeping even deeper into mortal hearts as an "I Can't Believe it's not Slavery" kind of thing. Still, it just feels forced and performative, almost, rather than actual and genuine.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Facebook Aunt posted:

The schools were kind of dumb anyway, especially Enchantment. The school of mind control and making cool magic items.

The schools were a lot more well defined for Pathfinder 1e. Enchantment was purely for mind control and charms and whatnot.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chevy Slyme posted:

Giving Merfolk wheelchairs to let them adventure on land is so simple and obvious and I don’t know why it’s not been done before.

There was the Fins to Feet spell in 1e, and I've seen a "Tailband of Aerial Swimming" which just let Merfolk swim through air, though they had to always stay with 5 feet of the ground.

But yes, the wheelchairs make sense.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jen X posted:

Pathfinder was super, super edgy early on, and they trafficked in a lot of the misogyny (especially in artwork), bigotry, and ableism, of a bunch of 2000s geeky dudes' wildest dreams, but they've at least been consistently inclusive of queer identities since the start

The artwork was a bit bipolar in the beginning, very true. We had the older design for Seoni the iconic Sorcerer juxtaposed right next to Seelah and Kyra.

As far as identities for NPCs, the first real presence I remember of a trans NPC was in Wrath of the Righteous, where two of the main support NPCs were Irabeth, a half-orc paladin and her trans wife Anevia. You end up finding the family heirloom sword that Irabeth sold off to pay for Anevia's transition. That adventure path was five years into Pathfinder 1e. Were there trans NPCs before then and I was just clueless?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Failboattootoot posted:

That's what I'm saying, wizards are the worst, no moral compass.

When the Laws of Physics are just kind of... "suggestions" to you, the rules of ethics and morality are minor quibbles at best.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Anevia was in the original Adventure Path, and was made for the game. I could be totally wrong however, I did not given the Adventure path too much of a look through.

She and Irabeth were absolutely in the printed AP.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

CottonWolf posted:

I think the two closest are Lizardfolk and Kobolds.

Kobolds have multiple feat chains dedicated to becoming more draconic.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does anyone have a good tl;dr for the strengths weaknesses of spell traditions (Arcane, Primal, Occult, Divine)? I have a player looking to play a Witch and they're trying to decide which Patron to take.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/ir6tki/comment/g4wumx7/

TL;DR

Arcane: Matter and Mind

Occult: Spirit and Mind

Divine: Spirit and Life

Primal: Matter and Life

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ravus Ursus posted:

My download popped yesterday while I was at work. First.time I've been in the opening salvo. I normally don't see anything until a few days after release.

Looks like they've got shipping sorted again so delays shouldn't be frequent. Aoe should have it up next week then.

I've got my PDF as well. What's weird is that the PDF of the new AP volume is screwed up for me so I can't download that, but I do have my Rage of Elements.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Zore posted:

Apparently they're removing +stat from damage across the board for spells which seems uh... extreme.

So... Is there a point to even trying to play a blaster spellcaster anymore? Just switch to Kineticist, apparently.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I've been toying with a Conrasu Wood Kineticist. Absurd hp total and the racial feats, at 17th level you can heal each party member once per day for 17d8 hp with a 10 minute rest, and yourself for 17d8 hp with every 10 minute rest.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Impermanent posted:

i was thinking about beginning to buy in to pathfinder 2e as an interesting, dnd-like tactical game that would be easy to get people into, but i see now that there's this big thing about a big corebook update? should I hold off until this update happens?

Are there balance updates? I noticed that people didn't like a few classes for being underpowered - are they being addressed?

There's a lot of updates, but because of license issues in switching over to their own ORC license, Paizo is removing a few things people might think of as "fantasy RPG default" but they're actually D&D IP. Creatures like chromatic and metallic dragons, and Drow, and some other things are not going to be present in Pf2e Revised. You might have to deal with player expectations not exactly being met if they come into it thinking this is just D&D with different mechanics. It's a different game.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Rythian posted:

Looks a bit inspired by the Sami to me, people in the very north of Sweden/Norway/Finland.

Right, from the Playtest text, she is one of the semi-nomadic Varki people of Avistan's far north, which are roughly based on the Sami people.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So can I be a half-elf/half-orc now

You have to pick one as dominant, so an elf with Dromaar heritage or an orc with Aiuvarin heritage, but yes, that's the way I think we're reading it.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Piell posted:

The overall problem with Investigator is that it should have just been an archetype

It was just a hybrid class in 1e. Part Rogue, part Alchemist. All of the hybrid classes were just sort of half-archetypes to make a general idea work better more than they were really dedicated classes. Warpriest was a Fighter/Cleric, Bloodrager a Barbarian/Sorcerer, etc.

It felt to me like the only Hybrids that did anything new in the 1e class space were Arcanist and Gunslinger, and Arcanist really just proved to be a better Wizard and Sorcerer than either of the base classes.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd like to know more.

The Mbe'ke dwarves venerate dragons, live underground, have a strong work ethic, a love for crafting, and a militaristic streak. They realized over the course of several centuries and multiple wars that the Kobolds of the Terwa Uplands had basically the same attitudes. Now there are Kobolds with Clan Daggers, kings, and votes in the Mbe'ke government.

Not that the Mbe'ke get along with every reptilian-ish people. They have yet to establish any kind of peace with the Iruxi (lizardfolk) of the area.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Honestly, I just like that the Mbe'ke dwarves shave their beards because the Alaru Highlands are full of miserable bugs and no one wants to deal with that.

And then there's the Taralu culture who dye their beards multicolored and even fluorescent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Chevy Slyme posted:

The longer this goes on, the more convinced I am that it’s going to be Zon Kuthon or Shelyn, or it’s going to be Sarenrae or Desna for getting in between the two of them.

I think the mention of the amalgamate deity "Zon-Shelyn" as the patron deity for one of the Starfinder 2e Iconics means it's down to one of the two of the half-siblings.