Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Escobarbarian posted:

Nobody in the GoT thread remembered it existed is why. If literally one single person had mentioned it we would have just bumped it.

Great Sepinwall review based on the first six episodes

Welp, sounds like it has the same issue as the book has in that it's just a series of mundane events happening around an endless line of boring, identically named Targaryans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah. In GoT there were some characters with similar names (not nearly as many as the books, mind) but they were usually in completely different setting and storylines - or at the very least they were visually distinct.

It sounds like there's going to be a bunch of blond white Targaryans in the same place with the same names. I don't think it's a TV critic's job to put up with poo poo like that if the average viewer could struggle with it.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't season 4 pretty close to peak GoT?

Nah you're thinking of 1 and 3 (2 close behind, then 4).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xealot posted:

There are so many ways to say "Matt Smith is incest-handsome," and I've heard most of them thanks to this show that hasn't even premiered yet.

Didn't he also play Prince Phillip in The Crown?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I maintain that Arya is just a nice name and it's a shame that it's tarred with the same brush as people who name their kids loving Khaalisee.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pennsylvanian posted:

If you read Fire and Blood as an unimpeachable lore guide, then you'll be bored and given the wrong idea. If you read it as you would an old, unreliable history source as it's meant to be, there's some intrigue to be had. The problem is that even with that unreliable narrator, it's an extremely dry read.

I'd have really enjoyed it as a 300 or so page book that focuses on the main, actually interesting Targaryans. But there's another 400 pages or so of boring shite.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, I wasn't expecting to like this at all but I'm fully on board. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

My only worry really is that the cast aren't very varied at the moment - Targaryans tend to be pretty one-note and the other characters we've seen so far don't have any of the variety or interesting characteristics that GoT's cast had. It's basically just royals and the small council at this point. Complete with Charles Dance, Donald Sumpter and Conleth Hill impersonators.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I get the feeling that Hightower is going to be the Littlefinger of this show. Obviously he's pimping his daughter out to be the next queen, but I think there's more. When the maesters find the baby is in breech, they go to him first rather than the king. The baby is last seen alive in the hands of a maester. The Hightowers have always had strong ties with the maesters and the Citadel, so it's possible he arranged for some tragedy to befall the babby.

Ehhh it's possible - but I think him being told first was more 'everything goes through the Hand, who will decide what news is worthy of the King'.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1561781474054918144

So later today/tomorrow HBO will be out with a PR confirming that HOT D was the "most watched premiere of all time" or w/e. Not terribly surprising.

It's sort of cheating saying it's a new premier when it's the successor of an already insanely popular show and has a guaranteed built in audience.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cranappleberry posted:

one of the cool things about GoT and a few other shows and movies was the use of real environments, costumes, people and etc over green screens and CGI where possible.

so that's in the trash now, too

Other than the dragon flying over King's Landing and the wide shots of the stadium I didn't notice loads of green screen or CGI?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CapnAndy posted:

I liked that too. "Nice guy, bad king" is a very hard tightrope to walk already, and they did it all with subtext. Nobody calls Viserys a bad king, the kingdom is in good shape, he's got smart advisors giving him generally good advice, he makes no political screwups. And it is manifestly obvious that he has no goddamn business being on a throne.

Tbf he's not a particularly nice guy what with the murdering his wife and all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Was there a way they could have sacrificed the baby to save her? I thought the implication was "do the C-section and sacrifice the mother, or let them both die?"

I'd have to rewatch to be sure but it felt like it was very much framed as a choice - especially with the way Rhaenyra reacted.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are we still getting a second Fire & Blood book at some point? I wonder if it's going to be a whole other GoT situation if the show does well where they're relying on him filling in the gaps and releasing a book about the next era of the dynasty for them to move onto in season 3/4/whenever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think there's a good chance the White Walker thing was just a nod to the wider story and won't have much of anything to do with the actual show. Maybe it's a relic from when they were planning the Long Night show.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't remember his children but wouldn't they be half Targ anyway?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

People these days know about the giant mechanical spiders they used in cowboy times but no one's seen one for real.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CapnAndy posted:

I choose to believe that HotD is a prequel to the books, not the TV show. It makes the prophecy make sense again. (It helps that since GRRM told them to put that bit in, it's clearly referring to the White Walker invasion happening the way it does in his head.)

I like that idea. Shame they reused the GoT theme song rather than come up with a new one. Makes it feel more like GoT part 2 than its own thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And like.. the White Walkers and Daenerys aren't completely tainted just because of how they ended. There were 3-4 seasons of excellent TV surrounding both of them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm thinking maybe the show will cut back and fourth between young Rhaenyra looking into the prophecy and learning about the scary ice zombies (presumably with some new revelations GRRM has come up with) and older Rhaenyra attempting some sort of conquest.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah but she's not a nan yet so she goes by Young.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mike N Eich posted:

Extremely stupid retcon to have Aegon invade Westeros ~for prophecy reasons~ honestly. The whole history of Westeros is about repeated invasions and conquests resulting in tons of unnecessary death and destruction - the First Men, the Rhoynar, Aegon, etc etc. Making it about a 300 year plan to save the world is just so....god damnit GRRM. It fucks up your own story buddy!

Eh this is just one old dude passing on a fourth(?) hand message. It's equally possible that Aegon used the prophecy to convince himself and his family that his bloody and brutal invasion was just and noble.

I am absolutely done with the concept of prophecies in fiction though. They're boring as poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alhazred posted:

I'm really disappointed that they didn't bother to come up with another cool title sequence. It also seems kind of a waste to hire Ramin Djawadi only to make him do the same score again.

There is a new title sequence - they just didn't use it for the first episode for some reason.

Agreed on the score though. It really doesn't help sell that it's a new show with its own identity.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toplowtech posted:

LOL i would say "come to the spoiler thread you coward" but yeah a lot of people watching this show seem to believe that it's going to be about a civil war between Rhaenyra and Daemon. Extreme LMAO. The truth is even funnier: half the cast of characters for this war aren't born yet.

I just remembered that Shireen spoils this in a GoT episode anyway.

Highlight of the episode for me was that someone said 'mummer's farce'. Every time someone said 'actor's play' in GoT it was like nails on a chalkboard. This show seems to be taking the little details from the book more seriously than GoT did.

Re: The opening the main issue for me is that the GoT theme doesn't suit it at all. This needed something a bit darker and more Targaryan-y. GoT's theme was well suited to the globetrotting journeys that comprise most of that story but not to a series that's going to be mostly focused on one city and a war. The visuals were a good idea but it needs tweaking. Just having nameplates on the little blood nodes to show that they represent the family tree would be a start.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 29, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HouseOfTheDragon/comments/x0d4ak/hotd_intro_theoretical_breakdown/

This is a pretty good breakdown of the intro, even if it's mostly educated guesswork at this point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

grittyreboot posted:

I didn't like that they had a child actress tell a middle aged man she could bear him kids. I don't care if it's historically accurate, it's really gross. I hope they move away from that ASAP

She specifically said she'd only have to "bed" him at 14. :barf:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's what I'm enjoying about this show - they can get creative with details like that on the basis that whatever maester was around at the time didn't know or chose not to record it in history.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Trash Trick posted:

I don't watch episode previews but that doesn't answer where they made it clear in the promotion of the show which characters have plot armor for how long

The season trailer has older Rhaenyra in it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I honestly thought he was going to say he’s marrying his daughter. I know there was some scene in GoT where they said the Targarians inbred themselves to madness, i.e. the mad king, and he kept looking at her. So I was honestly surprised he went with Hightower.

God I’m so terrible with names sorry.

I can't remember what Viserys' deal is but some Targs before him decided against incest because they realise it's really weird and offputting to most people and makes the church actively hate them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When seasons 5 and 6 dropped and people kept telling me the show was better than ever it completely blew my mind. Turns out a lot of people weren't interested in the qualities that make ASOAIF good, they just wanted Tyrion one-liners and battle scenes. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaxyon posted:

They're already working on a Hedge Knight show, and that's 100 years before Robert's Rebellion.

So probably not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the planned shows change a bunch of times. If this continues to be successful they might just hedge their bets and roll some of their other planned shows into it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean is it really unrealistic that a supremely arrogant royal ditches basic safety protocol in favour of a cool dragon helmet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BWV posted:

I can see that but he also spends a great deal of time in the second episode talking to people and getting advice and seemingly comprehending it. He also has smaller discussions with characters about duty and obligation etc. so picking her for immediate convenience doesn't sit right with me.
I think I can buy him desiring her or seeing her as a pleasant/caring/worthwhile partner, but like I said, I think they rushed that so it all felt a bit stupid. Which I guess fits if the King's main characteristic is Being Dumb but I felt like he had (should have) more depth than that.

Nah it felt to me that he was feeling the pressure to choose a wife, and Otto had presented the least bad option to him. He doesn't actually feel anything for her beyond the fact that she's not a literal child and that she was nice to him. It's not him choosing love over duty, it's him being played very easily.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toplowtech posted:

King Maegor Targaryen, dubbed the Cruel, was a tall tyrannic king (the third king of the Targaryen line) who went full Valyrian on the Westori idiots. Had a full harem of wives and the tendency to have his dragon eat priests of the 7 and recalcitrant nobles. He died sitting on the iron throne, probably while insane guitars riffs were playing. The old king who died at the beginning of the show was his heir.

Most famously he's the dude who killed everyone involved in building the Red Keep as soon as it was done, which is why no one knows about all the hidden passages etc.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dorne is still bad in the books though. But instead of stupid and cringe it's endless, boring and inconsequential.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

John Dies at the End wasn't a movie, it was the working title for ASoIaF.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Book Brienne is nearly identical to show Brienne except for the whole zombie Cat thing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't have an eye for wigs at all... unless you can physically see the hair underneath or it looks like it's made of plastic I can't really tell a good one from a bad one. None of the ones in this show have struck me as particularly good or bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Everything in that episode was fantastic except for that one drawn back CG shot of the streets of King's Landing with a handful of peasants copied and pasted onto it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The armour did seem to be protecting him from being instantly killed by the arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the arrow thing is basically "this character not being a perfect rational actor is a plothole" levels of silliness. At that distance and with him running about the place I'm surprised any of them hit him.