Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

RatHat posted:

How was Control Shaman gutted? Snowfall Guardian is slightly worse now, that’s about it.

It's much worse. Snowfall was the only card Shaman was built around, because it was a board lockdown plus a wincon all in one... that you could repeat up to four times. By removing the "wincon" part of the equation you end up with a deck that can't win anymore (surprising, I know!). It's pretty decent at losing slowly, though!

Also as a part of this, the evolve package has turned out not to be good enough in the meta. Mage, hunter and druid all basically don't care and they're the Classes That Matter right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Last King posted:

you should be happy - priest is back to tier 1.

the rest of us weep...

It's only because Rogue is so broken. Priest is basically the only class than can handle a stealthed 8/8 (or bigger!) on turn 4 (3 with coin!). Technically I think Paladin could too, but... yeah. The "quest" part of that deck is just to give you a puncher's chance against Druid or Mage. At the lower grind ranks it's not as well-positioned against the field. Mage, especially, fucks with Priest (including Naga Priest) real hard right now with their infinitely scaling damage hero power and 4x blizzards, and it seems like Mage is especially common where I'm at (bouncing off of Diamond 10, four times in a row now I've hit Plat 1 with 3 wins before a losing streak).

That being said I've actually been running Mech Paladin over Priest lately. Which means I'm not using a single Nathria card, but at least it's holding slightly above 50%. It's almost a good deck, the problem is that either you have to cut any reach whatsoever or you need to sacrifice too much consistency on hitting Radar Detector. Still, you have decent odds to undercut Mage/Druid and overpower Hunter, it's Rogue that messes you up.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Dik Hz posted:

Druids have always been the favored class in all things Blizzard. Laffo that they’re the best control, combo, and aggro deck right now.

Well, Druid and Rogue. Although Rogue has really always just been the queen of tempo, not so much the all-around brokenness that Druid gets.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Beasteh posted:

I'm so loving tired of mage

What dunks on mage

Yeah, you gotta go under them because nothing beats mage lategame right now.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

GTO posted:

I've been playing mostly 40 card spooky mage at high diamond and I'm at the point where I just concede against quest priest of I'm not getting amazing draw rather than spend 20 minutes losing to the quest.

I haven't played it enough to know personally - I only pulled out Quest Priest today to get three wins over the Diamond hump. One of those was Mage, and while I did win I certainly felt like the Mage was drawing poorly and/or making severe misplays.

On a somewhat related note, I finally crafted Theotar and holy poo poo he's a really good card. Probably not broken, exactly, but it's definitely able to decide certain matchups on it's own. It's like Mutanis if you gave it a better effect and also made it cheaper.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It’s Kael. Maybe Brann too. Denathrius is fine, although he falls into the problem area of being a One Card Neutral Endgame that everyone will be seeing for four more expansion cycles. Theotar is healthy for the format overall - the game needs as much combo-killer and player reactivity as it can get.

I hope they finally murder Druid for once.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

victorious posted:

Huh, apparently I got a 10-star bonus this month, even though I only got to Diamond 5 like I usually do. Anyone else had that before?

IIRC, the number of stars you get is based on the higher of two things: your end-of-season rank, and your hidden MMR. It was supposed to be designed so that even if you took a month or two off, you could still get back to where you "should" be pretty quickly.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
can we delete druid yet

please

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

AnacondaHL posted:

The tavern brawl is the most rigged poo poo ever, what in the actual gently caress

Just like all the vs. AI brawls, if you can get ahead even a little bit you end up winning easily. It's just really hard to get there with some of the available classes because you need to get a good random spell or two.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I like the changes. I'm a little concerned that Druid hasn't been hit hard enough, but Guff alone might be enough to let the aggro decks get under them - it's no longer a stability play on turn 5.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

bravesword posted:

I daresay this is more or less what they intended. It clearly wasn’t a nuke-from-orbit change, nor should it have been.

Nah they could have nuked Druid, I’d be ok with it. They’ve done it to better classes and decks with less justification.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Getting real loving sick of dying to denathrius every drat game. Neutral endgames are nice and all, but Blizzard needs to have more than one viable one at a time.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

PneumonicBook posted:

Just play around Sire by hail marying a Theodar or not killing your opponents board and dying anyway!

I theotar'd on turn 3 into a second theotar on turn 4 and still missed my opponent's Guff both times. It took me about 12 more turns to die to the brann/sire drop. loving Druid.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Last King posted:

it's another way to keep players engaged, chasing after achievements (people love seeing number go up!). ever since they put these in wow, they've been spreading them to every single game... :smith:

It requires basically zero effort to implement, meaning that only a very few people need to get invested into hunting the meaningless points for it to be profitable. CCGs are all about spreading the net as wide as possible in order to get the highest odds at finding a whale - I'd be very curious to know what the median Hearthstone player has actually spent on the game. $20? $5? $0?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
To my Thief Priest opponent I just played with Quest Priest:

Sorry, friend, but I am in fact not stupid enough to finish the quest while I know you have Brann/Mutanis in hand. I'm sorry that my only 2-cost minion to combo with Kael was the second card from the bottom of my deck and that we had to stare at each other for 20 turns while I got there. You probably should have conceded the second that my Mutanis ate your Theotar.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

NorgLyle posted:

I will enjoy goofing around with some kind of Wild Mage just to irritate the remaining Big Priest players as much as they've annoyed me over the years.

Oh, don't you worry, in a year or so Priest will be getting this effect on an 8-mana board clear!

edit: and how has it taken this long for "Counter a minion" to show up?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Theotar is overall good for the game - I think the bigger issue is that there still aren't enough similar effects to allow for disruption, so if you need that effect you don't have any other options.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

bravesword posted:

All three of the Wildseeds, as well as the Wildseed weapon, have gotten nerfed. I wonder if that’s the record for most nerfs on a card/mechanic. The Caverns Below got hit twice, The Demon Seed… three or four times?

I guess the price of Hunter having such a generically strong, non-synergy-based suite of cards is that you have to start nerfing stuff that looks pretty innocuous in isolation.

…I kind of feel like Trial by Fire needs to be reverted. That’s a classic example of a card that wasn’t seeing play because its deck was bad, not because it itself was bad, but they buffed it and now it’s off the frigging chain.

Sidequests Questlines were something like 6/9 getting nerfed.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 30, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I never understand why Priest gets the hate for a deck that Warlock perfected. Warlock has had removal.deck for at least four years running, and nobody bitches about it. The only difference is that Blizzard hates Priest too so it’s not allowed to have actual wincons (except Quest Priest, which was still *barely* a wincon that required you to survive the opponent’s entire deck anyway).

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 31, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The world's saddest druid: https://hsreplay.net/replay/D62eN9TeJ8WQg9Ymsdpuqe

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Firebert posted:

Only the legendary looks good at all for Undead priest, and I really don't think it's enough to revive the deck. You straight up cannot play healing spells in shadow priest so the one drop is completely pointless and the 2 mana 3 dmg spell is very mediocre.

Twilight Torrent looks very good to me for the class generally, regardless of archetype. It's Frostbolt for Priest, plus healing from a Shadow spell, for the class that's the best at finding specific cards from discover and/or your deck. I haven't looked at Undead Priest lately to see if it makes the cut right now (it might not because Benedictus hero power is close enough), but it'll show up in control list and be a "glue" card for the next year.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The answer as always is “delete Druid”.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah there's only one class whose gameplan is forever supposed to be "get to fatigue, play one card and win" and that's Priest. Except of course that half the time Blizzard forgets to print the "play one card" part, and also why can Priest never have an actual loving wincon Blizzard? This set is pure dogshit for the class unless there's a neutral legendary we're still waiting on, it's all overpriced value generators.

Honestly though CNE isn't a terrible card, it's just that the class has a half-dozen better ways to win. Why jump through the deckbuilding hoops of CNE when you have a reasonable combo deck, a reasonable swing-out deck, and a reasonable "I am inevitable" deck already?

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 26, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Why the gently caress can't Priest ever just get a real wincon? Don't say any bullshit about "control decks" either - Warlock get tons of ways to win, Warrior gets an inevitable win, Druid's been bullshit forever and Death Knight started with an inevitable wincon card. I just don't understand why only Priest needs to be the class that goes to fatigue in order to win every time.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Shockeh posted:

I want the other player to be given an additional wincon because you picked Priest.

It's a cyclical problem. The Priest player can't win any other way than to grind, but everyone hates that Priest is always a loving grind so they demand the class not get good cards, which means the Priest player can't win except to grind...

I honestly don't understand why people hate Priest more than, say, Warlock.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
god I loving loathe warlock

sure, priest is the problem, it's never the class that has draw-on-command, near-infinite removal, good healing, and several redundant inevitable wincons. why the hell does this stupid class always get a free pass? is it because people still remember zoo as fun-but-fair despite the class being nothing but hard control for the better part of a decade? I'm not even pointing specifically to excavate here, that's just the latest example of this horseshit. worse is that people are saying "better not nerf it too hard, wouldn't want to kill the deck" as if there aren't at least three other classes absolutely dying for the type of wincon quality that warlock has with Sargeras, Dar'Khan Drathis, Symphony of Sins, the big undead reanimator package, and the Forge of Wills package (all of which are simply on top of the neutral stuff in Astalor and Ignis, plus there's Jaraxxus just sitting there somehow not being played).

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Man this brawl is dogshit. How on earth did anyone ever decide that doing this multiple times was reasonable?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Popped into Wild to check it out after a couple years, and it was... surprisingly great? Tons of deck variation, lots of things seem very playable even if they're not optimal. Granted I don't have the booster stars so I'm only in mid-Plat. With everything more powered up things don't feel quite as bomb-y as Standard.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Man, Sunspot Dragon is a loving monster of a card. There's no way that it's not being slept on - it's utterly dominated some of my games in wild. Is it just a meta thing? Because while it's best as a topdeck it's not unplayable just as a 6/6 lifesteal body... and if you do hit the topdeck upside it's both a stabilizer and potential game-ender.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Got to Diamond in Wild with Highlander Dragon Quest Priest!

Tweaked the deck a few times on the way up, the original list was a bit more top-heavy with Alexstrasza and Kalecgos. Turns out I didn't need that much value or that many dragons for activation , I was better off with more draw. The final cut was Sister Svalna out of ETC (you have a wincon where infinite value isn't all that helpful, and if my hand is that empty I'm almost certainly better off to concede), and put in OG Reno as an emergency button/6-drop. 63% winrate, the only sub-50% class is Warlock (questlock has an inevitable wincon that comes out faster than yours which you cannot prevent in any way). It's actually pretty well-positioned against both Even Shaman and Order Paladin. General mulligan strategy is to keep one each of 2 and 3 drops, selectively keep 1 and 4 drops, and toss back everything else.

### Dragon Reno
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 1x (1) Cleric of Scales
# 1x (1) Deafen
# 1x (1) Draconic Studies
# 1x (1) Gift of the Naaru
# 1x (1) Renew
# 1x (1) Seek Guidance
# 1x (1) Shard of the Naaru
# 1x (1) The Light! It Burns!
# 1x (2) Creation Protocol
# 1x (2) False Disciple
# 1x (2) Firetree Witchdoctor
# 1x (2) Insight
# 1x (2) Netherspite Historian
# 1x (2) Penance
# 1x (2) Shadow Visions
# 1x (2) Thrive in the Shadows
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Amber Whelp
# 1x (3) Benevolent Banker
# 1x (3) Brightwing
# 1x (3) Love Everlasting
# 1x (3) Palm Reading
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (4) Cannibalize
# 1x (4) Drakonid Operative
# 1x (4) Duskbreaker
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (3) Sharp-Eyed Seeker
# 1x (5) Steamcleaner
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson

# 1x (4) Hysteria
# 1x (4) Lightmaw Netherdrake
# 1x (5) Cobalt Spellkin
# 1x (5) Dragonfire Potion
# 1x (5) Spirit Guide
# 1x (6) Aeon Reaver
# 1x (6) Sunspot Dragon
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Murozond, Thief of Time
# 1x (7) Skeletal Dragon
# 1x (7) Soul Mirror
# 1x (8) Reno, Lone Ranger
# 1x (8) Whirlpool
#
AAEBAa0GKIK1Auq/AtHBAsvmAuiJA/yjA5mpA7esA4GxA5i2A5m2A5O6A8i+A9jCA97MA+LeA/vfA/jjA932A62KBIijBIqjBNSsBKG2BLjZBPnbBJfvBKOTBYekBeCkBf3EBc/GBe33Bcz/BcmABsOcBtGcBrieBsmhBq+oBgAAAQPDFv3EBf/hBP3EBaT6Bf3EBQAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 16, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
God I hate how Blizzard "balances" Priest. Not one, not two, but three legendaries getting buffs. What the gently caress have they been doing to this class?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I have braved the wilderness of endless Even Shamans and broke into Wild Legend this month! The format is significantly less enjoyable at high Diamond - basically all the fun decks disappear and it's just aggro bullshit. Shout out to the dude in my second-to-last game who was playing Rez Priest (the poor bastard went illuminate->love everlasting-<zerek's cloning gallery on turn three, and lost because Duskbreaker isn't a fair card).

The final list:
### Dragon Reno
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 1x (1) Cleric of Scales
# 1x (1) Deafen
# 1x (1) Draconic Studies
# 1x (1) Gift of the Naaru
# 1x (1) Renew
# 1x (1) Seek Guidance
# 1x (1) Shard of the Naaru
# 1x (1) The Light! It Burns!
# 1x (2) Creation Protocol
# 1x (2) False Disciple
# 1x (2) Firetree Witchdoctor
# 1x (2) Insight
# 1x (2) Netherspite Historian
# 1x (2) Penance
# 1x (2) Shadow Visions
# 1x (2) Thrive in the Shadows
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Amber Whelp
# 1x (3) Benevolent Banker
# 1x (3) Brightwing
# 1x (3) Love Everlasting
# 1x (3) Palm Reading
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (4) Cannibalize
# 1x (4) Drakonid Operative
# 1x (4) Duskbreaker
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (3) Sharp-Eyed Seeker
# 1x (5) Steamcleaner
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson

# 1x (4) Hysteria
# 1x (4) Lightmaw Netherdrake
# 1x (5) Cobalt Spellkin
# 1x (5) Dragonfire Potion
# 1x (5) Spirit Guide
# 1x (6) Aeon Reaver
# 1x (6) Sunspot Dragon
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Murozond, Thief of Time
# 1x (7) Skeletal Dragon
# 1x (7) Soul Mirror
# 1x (8) Reno, Lone Ranger
# 1x (8) Whirlpool
#
AAEBAa0GKIK1Auq/AtHBAsvmAuiJA/yjA5mpA7esA4GxA5i2A5m2A5O6A8i+A9jCA97MA+LeA/vfA/jjA932A62KBIijBIqjBNSsBKG2BLjZBPnbBJfvBKOTBYekBeCkBf3EBc/GBe33Bcz/BcmABsOcBtGcBrieBsmhBq+oBgAAAQPDFv3EBf/hBP3EBaT6Bf3EBQAA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

This wasn't optimized at the high-Diamond level. There's enough anti-aggro tools to get by, but honestly the better play was probably to drop being Highlander and lean into Dragon Priest's insane four-drop minion board clears. As-is the deck had a 75% Shaman winrate, 66% Rogue winrate, and 70% Druid winrate up through Diamond.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 27, 2023

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Boatswain posted:

Cool take on Reno Priest! Is there any particular reason you run Reno hero card instead of Anduin (and no Raza)?

I already have an inevitable wincon. Raza/Anduin is strong but if all I need to do is stay alive to complete the quest they don't really help my gameplan. Reno hero, on the other hand, is my only hope against Sargeras (as well as a few other less common problems) and it's a fantastic setup turn into the quest reward besides.

Desert Bus posted:

Reno in the ETC, bold. Nice work on Legend!

I actually didn't have OG Reno in the deck at all until I started running into a critical mass of all-in aggro around low Diamond. There just weren't very many matchups before that point where I would have found the burst healing more useful than Theo or a dragon tagged creature. On the other hand, my sidedeck was notably lacking for anti-aggro tools and I realized I never actually picked Sister Svalna for any particular matchup. I wanted to keep both a 6-drop in ETC for an emergency quest step completion option, so it just made sense to swap him in.

Desert Bus posted:

This is my Reno Priest. It is not optimized for winning:

The second Raise Dead in your ETC is the greediest thing ever, I love it. I'd be very reluctant not to have Steamcleaner included somewhere though, especially since your deck really needs the highlander tag on-line for the wincon to function. I know this sounds like heresy, but I think I'd replace Mutanus. Seven mana is just a lot for that effect.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
In my experience, Plague DK is actually much less of a hassle for my Highlander Priest than that loving Shaman card that shuffles overloads. At least Plague needs to play more than a single card to shut my entire deck off.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Early warning to y'all that I'm pretty sure Overheal Priest is actually a deck now. Hidden Gem is exactly what that deck was missing. I don't think my list below is optimal but it feels really, really good.

### Overheal
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (1) Crimson Clergy
# 2x (1) Fan Club
# 2x (1) Funnel Cake
# 2x (1) Shard of the Naaru
# 2x (2) Creation Protocol
# 2x (2) Dreamboat
# 2x (2) Hidden Gem
# 2x (2) Mana Geode
# 2x (2) Twilight Torrent
# 2x (3) Cathedral of Atonement
# 2x (3) Heartthrob
# 2x (3) Holy Nova
# 1x (3) Sunfury Clergy
# 2x (4) Ambient Lightspawn
# 2x (4) Cannibalize
# 1x (7) Aman'Thul
#
AAECAafDAwKfpAXP9gUOougDhJ8EhoMF4KQFyMYFx8cFoukF7fcF+/gFq/oFyPoFi5UGuJ4GlqAGAAA=
#

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Seriously this overheal priest is loving nuts, just went 12-0 through high Plat into Diamond 5.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Shockeh posted:

Same problem ETF had in Netrunner - When your Class identity is 'Get extra Resources - Be good at the basics that make good card decks' it kinda stifles options. Hell, the very existence of it warps Neutral, because every card has to be designed around 'What if Druid cheats this out Turn 5', and we've already had a number of Neutral cards that were basically really Druid only. Problem is resolving it now means fundamentally restructing Druid conceptually, and it's not THAT problematic, especially if you're a game designer told 'Make sure we print dollars'.

For example, Priest just got two cards nerfed because of Druid (this is a common theme - Warlock got a bunch of cards nerfed for Priest when they had dual-class cards). After getting hit, Druid might go from #1 played, #1 strongest to... uh... #1 played and #3 strongest class, while Priest will similarly go from dumpster-tier to dumpster-tier.

Blizzard plays favorites. Whether that's because they think certain playstyles are better for the game, or certain developers just like those classes, or those classes have a built-in advantage from their basic cards, or even just because those classes' cards are easier to design I can't say. Regardless of the reasons, it's evident by this point in the game that Druid, Rogue, and Warlock just aren't allowed to be bad for more than a single expansion at a time. Hell, Demon Hunter has probably spent more time as a F-tier class than Druid ever has and DH hasn't even existed for half the time of Druid!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

bravesword posted:

That’s a weird thing to say given that all three of those classes have been non-entities for months at a time just this year. Like, by any objective measure the most successful class of the Year of the Wolf has been Paladin — it’s been consistently top-tier, has multiple viable archetypes, has had three good sets piggybacking off a quality previous year, and has been nerfed in almost every balance patch — but you don’t hear people complaining that Paladin is the devs’ pet class.

A more accurate read, I think, is that balancing eleven classes is really hard, and they’re more likely to miss with the classes whose strengths are in resource generation, because when it goes bad there’s a compounding effect.

Then there’s the factor that players don’t all agree on what’s fun. When Priest is bad everyone wants to buff Priest, but when it’s actually good enough to be a common sight the cries of “delete Priest” echo off the heavens.

I'm not just talking this year, I'm talking the game's lifetime. Everyone gets good decks from time to time, and nobody's ever completely avoided being bad, but those three classes historically haven't spent more than one set at a time in the bottom third while spending entire years as top-tier. Paladin's been consistently strong the last couple years but the class is traditionally similar to Shaman: when it's good it's near-broken, when it's bad it's real bad. When's the last time Druid was unplayable for an entire year? Using the latest VS data reaper playrate data below as a (admittedly poor) proxy, Shaman's been bottom-tier for a year and counting right now, Demon Hunter's not much better, Warrior was absolute garbage for most of last year (and a good amount prior to that) and Hunter's been quietly bad more often than not. When's the last time Druid/Warlock/Rogue were talked about (or arguably not talked about) like those classes?

I'll note that Death Knight has been a constant influence the entire year (almost certainly intentionally), which is skewing the meta, but this isn't a one-year phenomenon. Shaman is bad a lot, so is Warrior, Paladin bounces all over, and Priest is a steady low-performer that tends to see more play than the winrate would indicate.

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-284/

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Literally one expansion ago, the consensus on Rogue was that Mech Rogue highrolls well and was strong for one week before people learned to play around it (and before a few nerfs), but otherwise all they got at that point in the year were a good bounce card with Breakdance, a good piece of card cycling with Gear Shift and two expansions whose main packages do not do poo poo outside of their expansion context and will almost certainly not get any meaningful synergistic support in future expansions. If Excavate Rogue didn't work out, we would have had a solid year and a half of Rogue relying on Nathria's miracle package to get anything done, and who knows what they'd do after rotation. Alternating between expansions with the most broken combos you've seen and expansions where they get a pile of nothing that might be able to come together with enough bouncing is a long tradition for Rogue, but it's not like they're the devs' baby.

(Also, Warlock has admittedly been having a good few years, but I'm sure you've been posting in this thread long enough to have been playing in periods where Warlock was getting jack and poo poo in terms of meaningful deck archetypes.)

Rogue was bad from Titans release (it was lower-middle for a bit before that, but not outright bad) until just after the Badlands miniset. When Velarok missed on initial release it was immediately and obviously buffed into the stratosphere; I'll admit I don't know where Rogue is going after they've tweaked that card once more but ultimately I contend the class was not allowed to be bad for two expansions straight. Shaman meanwhile has seen bottom-tier playrates since before March of the Lich King. If Rogue was similarly poo poo for an entire year I would take it off my list. It's probably the one that's come closest since I dropped Mage for it's dry spell a few years back.

Warlock's pretty consistently had either a zoo deck or a control deck at T3 or better for as long as I can recall. It's worst time was, what, the Tickatus days? When the class was on-paper bad but disproportionately seeing too much play anyway to justify a buff? Warlock's hero power is strong enough that it's pretty hard for it to be truly horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Julio Cruz posted:

Rarran did a video recently where he took a brand new account into Wild and didn't see a real player till he got into Platinum

Oddly enough, when I did my Wild Legend climb last month it was the opposite for me. No bots at all until mid-Plat, steadily increasing until the final high-Diamond push was well over 90% bots.