Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I filled out a Blizzard survey that came into my email yesterday. Started with questions about what other digital card games I've played and if I think they're better than Hearthstone. How would I rank the game modes and what I thought of them from poor to great (ptg). A lot of questions about if I've bought any of the items available in the cash store right now, from the mega bundle to the cosmetics. How would I rate their value from ptg. What was their quality to me from ptg. How important each type of item in the tavern pass was from ptg.

Most revealing questions were about how many new decks do I build and play with a new expansion vs how many I think I need to build to be competitive. If I would care if Battlegrounds changes were "off theme" with the current expansion (I expect Battlegrounds will be getting content updates on a season theme that's different from whatever standard's is). And if I had seen any of the extra promo content for the new expansion and if that made me more excited for it - which I haven't, I guess they did a big story RP thing but I didn't hear about it, and then along with a ton of other sponsored reveals from streamers that I never pay attention to.

Nothing about a switch to runestones or a separate cash only payment for battlegrounds. But they did ask what I'd like to see improved and I said to bring back dungeon crawls. Maybe they'll listen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I've been playing odd quest hunter in wild for a year. It was at a place where things could be a toss up vs most of the other wild meta decks. But I think this is it for that one now. :rip:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The Nov 1 announcement stream had some issues, or people complained that the 30 minute window was too small for the free pack. Either way, twitch pack drops are active today and tomorrow to make up for it, so don't miss out.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I've only been playing a couple years, and casual at that, but I have a question about RNG matchmaking in battlegrounds.

Last week I was around 6300 ranking and fairly steadily moving up. Just as I got close to 6500, I started getting absolutely shithammered by builds that were easily double my strength by endgame.

This continued, for a week. I kept getting hammered and hammered with a string of finishes at 6 or 7. It took me down to 6000 and hung there for a bit. Then, all of a sudden, I was competitive again and putting together finishes of 2 or 3. Nothing changed in my play style, what am I missing?

A similar kind of thing happened to me. The mmr for battlegrounds (and constructed too I think) has a visible number you see that gets reset, and a hidden value that isn't reset. The hidden value is the only thing that's used for matchmaking.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

After 9 years of play, not crafting meta decks, and "only" spending $200 on the game - I have about 165,000 dust between the bank and extra cards.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

fanny packrat posted:

That's quite a cache! You think you'll ever push the button?

Ironically, I think it will be when I decide to quit. I'm telling myself this will be my last expansion, but I haven't pledged to stick to that. I'm very iffy on the addition of another class and I hate prince renathal on principle. They had hooked me with the tavern passes but I stopped buying them with castle nathria. I've got cosmetics coming out of my ears at this point. Then, I really wanted to like mercenaries but it just isn't good enough. I find myself playing less and less; might just hang it up soon.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

There is going to be a miniset for the set, they've said that. The DK pack thing is to give them the cards they would have had from the last 3 sets, give or take, so they have a comparable number of cards as the other classes. Obviously one could make the argument that they could/should have just given them out but they've chosen not to.

It's extra irritating because they did the same thing for demon hunter when it launched with 20 cards and it was free for all.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

RatHat posted:

I think they disabled Standard pack openings because people were getting too many signature legendaries.

I opened my about ten minutes ago and got zero. Maybe I missed it :/ edit: oh, standard packs. gently caress me for not saving those for the new expansion.

Starsfan posted:

the one at the start of the trail is meant to be the 4th fight? ok.... weird design choice

It's definitely bugged. It wraps around to the forth fight and it's with illidan, which would be the final confrontation at ice crown, not the first.

Lister fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 6, 2022

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Can't say I've ever seen this bug before.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Missing it stings even more when you realize there's going to be 4-6 extra legendaries available in this expansion. I see that the event is giving out two, so maybe events will give out a few to make up for it, but it still sucks.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

I mean, Mercenaries is not good and I deeply regret being one of the people stupid enough to buy a bundle of Mercenaries packs on launch day but the ability to grind out easy experience for single player at least partially makes up for the complete clownshow of the 'actual' mode. Never play Mercenaries.

While I don't regret buying the starter bundle on the first day, I am deeply embarrassed that I was excited for the mode and believed that it would get major improvements over time. Two years later and we've got a lot more mercs that don't have any purpose to use and a few dozen boss encounters that are only fun once, if at all.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I've never seen an faq throw itself hardball questions but then still give non-answers. If those questions are being frequently asked, you've got a loving problem.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Welp, they're actually doing it. They're sun-setting mercenaries. What a failed experiment.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Russad posted:

Yeah, I saw the mythic mode. And maybe that's what the legendary difficulty has eventually been morphed into, but it stands out to me as a distinct new way of playing, rather than a more difficult version of bounties. It sounds more interesting than "heroic bounties but more difficult", but my point was mostly just that they had said they would be dropping a new difficulty and then just went radio silent. Overall, not particularly surprised that they're dropping it into maintenance mode.

Oh well, still should be fine for knocking out "deal X type of damage" quests.

The biggest feedback I ever saw from the mode was "We don't have anything to use extra coins on", "The task system is too much of a pain in the rear end", and "The fights before the boss are boring, but the last boss is interesting." They did address (albeit not perfectly solve) the first two issues and a mode where you just fight bosses seems to help with the last. It's too little, too late at this point, but even if the mode launched with all of this, I can't imagine the mode would have held most people's attention for long anyway.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Shockeh posted:

I still want Runes to apply to in-game card generation. Let’s put in deck building limitation constructs, then a make it trivial to circumvent them!

You could say the same thing about generating a third or more copy of cards you already have two of in your deck. Which is also a change that I wish they'd make. Constantly discovering extra copies of powerful cards after you've used three or four times already is such garbage.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Firebert posted:

It's bad but there are many cards like Millhouse and Temporus that can straight up lose the game for you

Add Cursed Blade to the list. I don't think it ever had any use other than being a whammy if you were given a random weapon.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gotta love the small print with the new event. "If you're worried about missing out on the other two hero portraits, it's ok! You'll be able to buy them with cash in a few weeks."

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Scholtz posted:

So are you going to buy the expansion or are you posting here to announce that you're going strictly F2P?

This is seriously going to be my last expansion unless they really introduce something significant to make the game more fun for the new rotation. I'll be open minded about the roadmap, but they gotta do something more than good theming.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

bravesword posted:

As someone who has no knowledge of or interest in Warcraft lore, if the selling point of a set is “check out this classic Warcraft storyline — in card form!” that doesn’t do anything for me. Show me cool cards, dammit. In addition to some stupid design decisions, the Year of the Gryphon was pretty lame because it seemed like they leaned in to being as generic as possible because hey, that’s the WoW experience.

Then with Lich King they were trying to hype it up as the most compelling storyline in all of Warcraft, and I played the PVE content and thought “This is literally the plot of the Star Wars prequels.” Are your standards truly that low?

The whole gryphon year was planned that way because of the huge popularity of wow classic. The biggest problem of the theme imo was that the new characters seem kind of forced. Like they needed to come up with new people to make cosmetic interactions out of instead of all the same "heroes of warcraft" that we've been seeing for years.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

So I haven't played this game since like 2018 but I decided I wanted to get back in after blizzard randomly gifted me 150 packs - 75 standard and 75 march of the Lich king packs. If I wait till the new 'year' starts in a few days before opening the standard packs, will they be from the 'new' Core set?

Is there anything I need to know/should do before I ease myself back in? I only care about constructed but I don't mind doing some of the other stuff if it nets me tangible rewards.

Other big changes are dailies award exp that go towards a battle pass, which in turn awards gold among other things. There's now weekly quests that give exp as well. There are a ton of keywords that do all sorts of things that you should read about. There are two new classes with short solo prologues that can help you ease into them. There's a ton of single player campaigns that could help you get used to a lot of the new cards and give you a bunch of free packs (each one takes about 60-90 minutes). All the cards that you got from old regular (non-expansion) packs are only useful in a "classic" mode that few people play and is mostly full of bots, so you'd be fine to dust them. Otherwise, if you never got to legend rank, doing so in the classic mode with an aggro warlock deck is the easiest way to do it.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was lucky enough to pull Tony from my packs and deck destroyer warrior has been going really well.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah those have a recognisable name format too.

Yeah, it's usually two words put together that are "AdjectiveNoun" and they never show up under the list of people you've recently played.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

That new launcher is bad. "Home" is incredibly cluttered.

It's a way to show you more ads for other blizzard games. There's a setting called "On startup, view" and you can change it from the home page to "Last viewed game page"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

New tavern brawls and one of them is a dungeon run. My prayers have been answered.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Today's brawl was said to be a dungeon run style mode. I was pretty excited for that to return. It turns out it's just a typical book of heroes thing. Plus the decks they give you seem to really suck compared to your opponents. Very disappointing.

I also don't see anything to look forward to with the Twist mode. I don't really care about losing classic except for a simple way to farm the needed ranked wins for a week, but a replacement with some different card pools and brawl gimmicks doesn't do anything for me either.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Not all decks are good in the tavern brawl this week. Hunter I ran through it 8-0 after giving up against boss 6 with priest and losing to the first boss with DK.

I also lost to the first boss with DK and started over with mage. They built a deck around necrotic explosion but then barely have any cards that spend corpses. what

Lister fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

I literally said I was going to!

I quit before the titans launch and haven't looked back until today when I got an email about the mini-set. I don't miss it at all despite playing for like nine years. It's just going to be gimmicks on top of gimmicks from now on, assuming it wasn't always like that anyway.