Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i'm so far behind. i haven't done any of the latest expansion and i still have some of that "return to.." stuff left to finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh my god I just saw the plush griffon skin in the store. how worth it is that?

no, first i should actually play the game before buying that

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

new expansion seems a lot more cool and interesting than I expected. the over fishing event was amusing, and you can get ascended versions of the class specific accessories which is probably not worth the effort but i'm still gonna get them. the thief shadow is super fun

anyone got a gen 3 legendary? i haven't looked into them too much yet but they don't seem great?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

is there really no reward for that character adventure guide stuff? not complaining as its one less thing to worry about, but that's kinda surprising

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright so I've decided I am going to probably go spectre (per trhe great post in this thread) with my new thief but I saw this pistol deadeye build which grabbed my attention this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehPvGmmajw.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAoiVlFwgYUsOmJOuOqvKA-zxIY1ojvQKoCKLE6IBE+AEue41AipNA-e
It's a deadeye pistol/sword condition spec which uses celestial armor that seems pretty effective.

I'm thinking I may be able to do both specs with similar gear?

For now I've just been wallowing around as core spec while getting hero points and using siege weapons to contribute in WvW.

weird, I just watched that video after looking up legendary weapon skins.

i've been using celestial gear on my specter and it seems fine. you have so much defence, it's a nice change. gotta decide if I want to put the torment runes on cele or vipers armour though. i'm sc/p but from what i've read sc/d is very popular as well

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

achtbarer posted:

It’s wild that this game has been seeing a resurgence of new and returning things players, but it has really improved in a lot of ways and still continues to be its own brand of MMO.

one thing that hasn't improved is finding groups for strikes. so many labels and specific things needed

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Specifically, try to fit in the "fish 4 times in x location" daily, doesn't even have to be a fishing hole, just catch something 4 times, takes a minute, it can regularly reward some ascended fish meat worth 20s each or a ambergris worth 2g.

i've been doing that just so i can slowly chip away at the many, many fishing achievements

is there a reason the rewards for the LS1 achievements are exotic trinkets? that seems weird

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Wait, you don't have to fish in the fishing spots? I've tried to do the fishing daily a couple of times, the first few times the areas had 700 required power (when I have 150), and then the last time I tried it said Heart of Maguuma, and I couldn't find a single fishing hole anywhere in any of the maps.

It also sure would be nice to see the required fishing level in game before I try and fish, because the only place I've found so far with a reasonable fishing level is in Shing Jea, which has been anywhere from 0-200 power, but until you start trying to reel them in you don't know what it is.

you don't need to use one of those fishing spots. Heart of Maguuma doesn't seem to have much water but theres some near the waypoint that connects the lanes in tangled depths. the one that is on the meta reward spot

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the jade bot upgrades being character specific hurts

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

for weapons you can do the specialization achievements for each elite spec and dragonstorm is def worth doing once per day for the chance of ascended weapons. dragonstorm in general has pretty insane rewards for 15mins of time, and after that you can spend another 15mins on drakkar for another shot

for trinkets LS3 is pretty good esp now with the Return achievements to give more map currency, and mounts to navigate easier

armour is the annoying one. most of mine I got from WvW including one legendary set, which is amazingly helpful. i kinda just want to have everything legendary

Kris xK posted:

Thanks a ton for this, I didn't know we could stat swap all weapons and armor .

That useless Mathilde war chest I got from wvw just became my first ascended weapon. Now I'm just racked with indecision on what weapon for which char.

if it helps, ascended gear is account bound so you can swap stuff around characters.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

My necro is a sylvari. All things have a right to grow, including animated horrors :unsmigghh:

same, its my WvW toon

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jokes posted:

I can't imagine playing a necromancer and not giving them the Reaper's Hood.

I love these sorts of hoods but my sylvari necro is using the flaming skeleton outfit

I actually kind of like the outfits now, going through individual armour sets is a pain

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i assume we will get the last 2 LS1 returns but then after that is there any info as to what we could expect? personally i want a fishing mount or like a way to make the manta ray eat fish

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I have like 3 frostsaws and at least 4 ascended maces(I use one of them)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Boosting up to 60 seems pretty daunting while knowing nothing of the game.

Nah. Leveling in this game isnt really that big of a deal. Those birthday boosters are fantastic though, always have one running

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jokes posted:

I feel like I just need to gather mastery points and extra experience does nothing for me but I have like 90 birthday boosters-- what are they good for?

I also have like 20 of the heroic boosters

each birthday booster last for 24 hours and gives shitloads of XP boosts and magic find

just run them, magic find seems to be pretty good, i'm around 400% and its a constant stream of T6 trophies and stuff

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kris xK posted:

I've tried to finish this loving lw3 mission "heart of the volcano" 4 times but these dumb loving dogs keep getting bugged.

I had the previous episode bug out too, I'm not doing well.

Between the quests bugging and having to run all over hells half acre I'm seriously considering skipping to EOD for a scenery change and to start working on the dragonscale.

EOD story stuff i actually enjoyed which is rare for me in this game. ive been through it twice already and would have no problem doing it again

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kris xK posted:

Looks like my server (shiverpeaks) is VS you guys (Maguuma) this session and people are not loving happy about it.

Or at least they say they're not happy, but every single battleground has a >10 person queue. Last night is was loving 50 for ebg and it took 2 hours. Once in, team chat was nonstop bitching about mag and someone named Claire.

I don't get what makes you guys so special.

I'm on SoS, Claire is good, maybe the best pug commander we've ever had but there's 1 or 2 poo poo stirrers that hate them for not really legit reasons. The "legit" reason to hate them is that they pve and make us climb the server ranks.

Mag is pretty tiresome to fight, this is the 3rd week in a row for us. The biggest thing is that they take over our side of the map and reinforce it when we have few people on. SoS is the unoffical OCE sever so our prime time is like 2am NA time. People also hate Mag for their use of siege but honestly i'm jealous of that. I mostly just play as a pug/scout/siege defence and watching people standing on a wall plinking away while im trying to build ACs and then everyone ignores them anyway lol

I think it would be fine if the 3rd sever was a threat but they seem to fall off pretty quickly into the week, or they attack us. But that could just be them not wanting to be in the same tier as Mag next week

Did anything ever happen with alliances? i'm skeptical that they can ever fix these problems as a huge part of it is unbalanced time zones and people/guild flip flop between groupings anyway

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

also I was just in a strike group with a bunch of you, thank you for the carry!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

your typical group zerg, under an organised commander, wants a bunch of support roles filled to keep everyone alive. these commanders will then 'deathball' (cluster everybody close together to maintain boons and healing on as many people as possible) and try to roll over other groups

mag is a bunch of people who don't have fixed schedules for wvw groups, meaning they run whenever they want, can't be guaranteed support from external players, and are collectively on their own. this forces them to run solo builds that can pull their own weight, and have the skill to play those builds. there's no mag deathball, instead you get the 'mag cloud', which is all of them spread out. this makes it really hard for an enemy deathball to roll over them because of how many there are. you can't focus your aoes on one location because there might be all of 3 guys there while the rest of the cloud picks off people at the back of your group

it's apparently highly irritating to play against because mag doesn't conform to the expected meta of behaviour, so the standard strategies don't work against it and it's easier to complain than to fight

im not even sure if SoS has any decently organized groups these days, hell half the time we dont even have a tag public or unpublic, but back when we did this is when the siege complaints were pretty common. The organized guild groups wanted to pvp and Mag would fight around towers and use siege

Said groups would also complain about us building and/or using siege as well lmao. Some of them made WvW so toxic

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so that reward for the LS1 returns must need the new strike completed as well.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tortolia posted:

I think they reduced the effect of the GM leap traits to compensate for the halved endurance cost, but only based that on checking the damage leap trait real quick and going “yeah that seems lower”

In retrospect finding out that Mag is a bunch of solo wvw roaming guerillas not confirming to the “honorable rules of warfare” or whatever gives context to all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the wvw patch and me sitting there going “I guess that was a problem? Maybe? gently caress if I know.”

They were rebalancing for a wvw behavioral set I wasn’t taking part in.
I've never seen anyone complain about mag being spartan warriors or whatever. If anything it's the opposite, they have too many numbers. And the fortifying enemy keeps in the servers dead hours basically kills ebg until we can get big numbers online. It's especially weird when mag has all 3 keeps t3 like wtf is going on lol. That generates the most complaints from what I see

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

queeb posted:

guys jsut coming back after not playign since before EoD lauch, is mechanist still good? i wann blast poo poo with a robot for 0 effort.

i went through a bunch of content as specter and thought wow this is pretty easy, then did it with the mechanist and it was a whole new level of easy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

queeb posted:

drat, mechanist be crazy

its like running around with a machine gun and grenade launcher. oh and a giant robot that almost never dies

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

My computer exploded and I'm gonna miss the Halloween stuff.

Ripriprip

oh gently caress. those candle skins you get from the dailies are really good

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Gaukler posted:

Yeah they’re great

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

queeb posted:

help me decide the best use of my time. i love this game so any time playing it is dope. I can either do the return achievements which i have 0 of, and by chance im also on the step of the skyscale to get 250 of each currency, so i'd be able to get both those out of the way, or i go into EoD which i havent done yet, and get the skiff/jadebot and whatnot.

do the returns and skyscale. even if you stop playing for a bit and come back you'll be closer to it and it really is great

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

insertdumbnamehere posted:

Pretty much everything dies before it gets to you. But when you need it the signet active heals for a lot and has a short cooldown.

plus the passive effect of your signets is traited to be active even when they are on cooldown

it really couldn't be any easier or stronger

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

no no you take the trait that reduces mech cooldowns and gives you quickness, you never need to touch the signets

hmm alright will give that a try

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pointlessone posted:

I hate this clock tower. WHY MUST IT BE A GROUP RACE?

halloween should always have a little bit of pain

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It's not a race. Everyone that completes it gets the same prize.

they probably mean its a race as in timed and in a group so you cant just start again if you fail early. its a pretty common complaint about it

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

trunkh posted:

So what are research notes for exactly? I bounced off end of dragons hard, and loosing any easy source of food / utilities because of them is a little frustrating.

The aurene legendary weapons, the alternative skins for them and jade bot upgrades

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

whydirt posted:

gently caress Research Notes forever

Yeah they are dumb as hell. There's zero need for them to be so convoluted

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bengy81 posted:

My vote is for the Steve jokes in the lab.

:hmmyes:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

El Fideo posted:

God isn't the wiki just so classy?

i shared the nightfury skin the other day and yeah its a bit embarrassing

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

El Fideo posted:

So I've done Dragonstorm twice now. The first time I got an ascended chainsaw great sword, and the second I got this exotic focus with a lot of smoke and lightning particles, which sells for about 15 gold. Is it always this good?

no but in general its pretty good and worth doing

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hakarne posted:

It’s time for another build post that no one asked for. I've been playing around with the new Shadow Arts and I found a really fun, powerful, and low-intensity build for Specter! I'll also include the easy and strong WvW roaming build that uses the same armor for no extra charge!

Open World Low-Intensity Specter Build

just quoting this so I can easily find it one day, thanks!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lpzie posted:

Wow I didn't know PVP was basically DOTA 2!!

at launch they tried to push the esport angle HARD. gw1 had better pvp

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think it's possible to make charr look stylish.

I call this outfit "the friend of all animals"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Guardian dual pistols? Rifle on daredevil? Skyscale during combat? Open world OBSIDIAN legendary armour? this all sounds amazing

Honestly thought I was done with gw2 after it seemed to be dying down after EoD but this is going to open up so many new options, actually think I prefer this to new elite apecs