Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Droppin' in to say the game is getting better every patch ever since the change in management and it is quite literally the best time to start playing or return!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Mohawk Potato posted:

So is there a way to earn gems in game or is buying them the only way?

You can convert your gold to gems and vice versa

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Fun fact: Virtuoso, Mechanist, and Harbinger were all designed by the same dev!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

As an ele main since release, the biggest thing Anet could do to make it not a chore to play is to just get rid of the attunement cooldowns altogether and just let you go into any attunement whenever you want. Engineers already practically have this with their kits. Overloads from Tempest can stay, at a reduced cooldown, but being able to freely swap attunements would go a long way to feel on-par with other classes.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

LordAdakos posted:

My very first character was an ele.
I always wanted the elements to do specific things:
Fire is big dps
Water is healing
Earth is buffing
Air is utility and cc

But in reality it was big sad and big effort.

Can we just get the guy who did the harbinger, engineer and Mesmer to fix this?

He was also the guy who used to be the balance lead until he left the company a short while ago, so no.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Ele just feels uneven and slapped together. For example:

-A lot of their utilities are selfish, mostly useless, or just largely outdated and outclassed (Arcane Wave, Conjure Lava Axe, Cleansing Fire, Signet of Water, Glyph of Elemental Power, Tornado, Ether Renewal, Aqautic Stance, Lightning Flash)
-To add to this, the core utility traits don't improve them in any significant way that makes sense other than maybe the signet trait. Conjurer is never taken because it doesn't mesh well with the Conjures, for instance. It would be better if each utility had their own trait (Put Cleansing Fire in Fire Magic and have the trait make it affect allies, for example). Conjurer is never taken because it doesn't mesh well with the Conjures, for instance.
-You never feel rewarded for swapping attunements, especially when other classes can sit in one weapon set and deal more dps/support with less effort. So, they either sit in one attunement or swap classes instead. Hell, there's like maybe four traits that do anything substantial for swapping attunements (Fresh Air, Healing Ripple, Weaver's Prowess, Elements of Rage). Note that half of those are in the Weaver traitline.

There are other issues but it's just exhausting now and I hope the new balance lead (who's an Ele main) will address these issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Well, that's done. Was not nearly as painful as I feared, altough I already had many of the various steps completed (and I play a lot of WvW, which helped).

Congarts

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

where the red fern gropes posted:

no more weapon swap but tomes become a thing you can use all the time like kits? sign me up

We thought the same thing with Druid last preview, but it turned out they just didn't have another pet equipped.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Catalyst is hitting 45k dps again so expect a nerf soon haha this poo poo is so stupid lololol

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Lonk posted:

"Fixed a client crash related to shadows.
Reverted changes to postprocessing settings."

That was quick.

and yet the cata nerf felt quicker

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

My daily ritual is Pinata -> TD -> AB -> DBS -> Daily Strikes -> loaf around until public DS or hope a commander is doing private DS

Occasionally I'll do a DE but it's too time-consuming for a chance that the map isn't being brain-dead and won't waste an hour of your life.

Afterwards, I open my daily chests and harvests, open and salvage my gear, and exchange mats to the Quastor at DWC.

I'm basically just farming infusions and pulling in gold on the side. Waiting for Pinata can net you more gold if you fish with scorpion bait over to the west and hope you get some whale vomit.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

..btt posted:

Trip report: Dragon's End with 50 core ele's camping fire attunement. And one guy who insisted on playing tempest...

Result:

6:30 remaining, better than most LFG groups I've joined :v:

I saw Teapot's stream of this. The sheer amazement of how effective this "challenge" was and how sad Sneb was that it was on par/better than actual organized subgroups with alac/quickness was great to watch.

Looking forward to more ele nerfs

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

so like does a heavy armor want to spec crafts into shields and greatswords or what??

Armorsmithing, yes

As for weapons, go for the crafts that your profession uses (Weaponsmithing covers the bulk of what Heavy Armor classes use)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

yeah, they sold the story of the game on "HEY THERES THESE BIG rear end DRAGONS, GO KILL THEM" and didn't think up a story beyond just that and kinda coasted for a while.

I think Season 3 is when they actually got a narrative director and it shows, but then they got bored of the dragon stuff and just decided to kill them off as quickly as possible.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Tabletops posted:

Did they buff elementalist yet

they buffed weaver dps again (even though it was already doing great dps even for LI) and they added more support and utility to staff (aoe stability, superspeed, frost aura, etc.)

tempests can pulse alac at the start of their overloads now.

they also nerfed catalyst in pvp but tbh they had it coming

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Actuarial Fables posted:

SAB world 3 is real

players were whining why anet delivered a "lackluster" update back in february... yet almost no fanfare for SAB w3

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Jedah posted:

For all my criticisms, the gem store has incredible mounts. They know their audience, and they know how to get us to swipe, I'll give them that.

Preach literally spent loads of money trying to gamba a mount skin he really wanted instead of a small amount to get it guaranteed.

Like, he got ALL the mount skins from the gamba license thing before getting the one he actually wanted.

Yeah, they know their audience.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

Do we know more of the weapon addition moves yet?
I'm mostly wondering if staff warrior is going to be a full support or not.

seeing as how the new weapons are 8 months out, not yet

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

I saw that some of the info is viewable for some of the new skills, just wasn't sure how extensive it was.

New skills that are previewable are the ones you'll get from elite spec weapons no longer being locked to only elite specs and how the class mechanics will be expanded with having access to those weapons. Not the new weapons they will be getting in a later release of the expac.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

After thinking about it, SotO is a mixed yet optimistic bag:

Pros:

-Easy Skyscale Acquisition
-Wizard's Vault
-Story/Narrative/Lore
-New Likable Characters
-Weapons for each spec
-On-Demand Events (Rifts) with no DR
-New maps that are vertical in a fun way for once!

Cons:

-Relic system being incomplete on launch
-Daily system being too restrictive (let us choose between all 12 dailies but with Acclaim capped at 40/day, please!)
-Lots of bugs at launch, even by Anet standards
-Strike missions are as easy as IBS ones, whereas EOD NM strikes were at least a bit challenging
-Metas are also a bit too easy, and the Amnytas one ends with you pressing 2 over and over again, similar to Zhaitan's "fight"
-Nothing for veteran players to work for until 6 months from now
-Was expecting Afflicted-levels of enemy models for the Kryptis, might be a rating issue, idk

Some of these are more minor gripes than actual issues. Bugs are being hot-fixed pretty quickly, thankfully. And since this expansion is meant to bring new players in, the difficulty scaling might be adjusted for them.

With the new release schedule being every 3 months, we no longer have a content drought. Instead, we have a content drip. Not a lot of stuff every three months, but makes the wait between expacs more bearable. This is also likely the best they can do seeing as how they are definitely working on another game atm.

All in all, a harmless and welcoming expac.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

The kryptis would be better if they were colored as flesh monsters and not just grey and white.

Like, a streamer unlocked the kryptis skyscale skin and dyed it to look fleshy and it looks waaaaay better.

Then again, I'm a sucker for gross enemies like gw1's Afflicted.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

That was one of my firsts and I never regretted it. Good job.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Back when I did DS, I just took my Heal Tempest because of the constant green numbers giving me dopamine.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

S.J. posted:

Do they ever add entirely new weapons in? Everything looks the same from when I first played back on launch.

nope, same weapons since launch

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I mean, we ARE more likely to get new weapon types than we are a new playable race...

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Kiel did that

I voted for Evon

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Congrats!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

Makes sense though, Teapot is focused on competitive PVE and GW2 hasn't touched raids in years. Strikes give some of that feeling but it sounds like they aren't as difficult these days?

To add to this, Season of Discovery is going on in WoW and that's brought a lot of players back.

Teapot shelving GW2 doesn't mean he thinks it's bad or worse (in case anyone thought this, which he has had to address in the past), it's just that GW2's model allows people to (gasp) play other MMOs between releases easily.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

just give me noclip, no gameplay

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Another WvW griefer, Choxie, used to Spectral Wall entire zergs to their dooms back in the day. It was so fun to watch...

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

What really made dungeons difficult back then was a combination of everyone not being properly geared, not knowing the "optimal" combo finishers, and most importantly not knowing about just how important boons are in this game.

No joke, boon-stacking was a revelation to the community and changed the game for a lot of people. Stacking in general became the way to clear content because everything is based on radius, not who's in your group, and the enemies just converged on the group anyway, meaning your aoe heals and resses would hit everyone and there was no need to watch the arena. Add projectile reflection to the mix and suddenly the game is a lot easier.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I'm so glad I already unlocked lego armor for all three armor classes with raiding.

Now I just need a sink for all this T3 kryptis cum clogging my inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

whydirt posted:

Research notes are mostly used for the End of Dragons legendary weapons and the new legendary armor in Secrets of the Obscure. Both of these literally thousands of them.

Also kryptis motivations in case you need a sink for the kryptis essences