Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Mazed posted:

Did the DX11 update ever happen, and if so, did it fix some of the draw distance issues?

It did and it should be the default setting when you log in, now. I don't think there's any specific benefits besides general performance increases, though

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So are all of the best builds EoD based?

Also, does anybody have a Mesmer build? Looks like I'm a chronomancer.

They're just newest so they're what most people are interested in playing. There's very, very few builds that are completely core, but almost every elite spec still sees use.

(but also I never play mesmer so I can't help you there)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

jokes posted:

Are hybrid builds good, or is it severely suboptimal such that im a liability or something? or are SOME okay and most are terrible?

This really depends on your definition of 'hybrid' since a lot of the top meta builds and group compositions are hybrids by definition, either as healers or boon support. A given strike or raid comp is split into 2 groups of 5, and both groups need a healer, alacrity giver, and a quickness giver. Sometimes these overlap, but hybrid support roles in that sense are always necessary.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Most of the builds you can find that are labeled "condi builds" use Viper's stats, so they blend power/precision/condi/condi duration which I guess makes them a hybrid? Condi virtuoso is really crit dependent for proccing bleeds, for instance.

WvW and sPvP are the other places where getting wacky with stats is usually valid, since survivability starts being significantly more important.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

You can probably unlock the skin but not actually use it without the xpacs

You can't claim it unless you have PoF, if you do you can claim a skin for mounts you don't have though

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Mohawk Potato posted:

So is there a way to earn gems in game or is buying them the only way?

There's the gold conversion and for every 5000 cheevo points, you get 400 gems

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I have 2x 80 boosts (I guess because the collection gave me 2 collections I didn't have) taking up my shared inventory space. I used one on a thief who I've always wanted to play because all of the elite specs interest me. For a newer player without tons of money which specs would you all recommend for mostly PvE and WvW play? I'm thinking Daredevil or Specter. Deadeye seems like it might be fun in WvW but from what I've read it is underperforming.

Daredevil's still a great spec for DPS and especially open world/story content. 3 dodges and lots of lifesteal options makes you surprisingly sturdy, and it's easy to play for someone newer. Specter is very good too, but I'd save that until you're more established since its optimal gear for DPS or support is harder to come by.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

trunkh posted:

What are the best utility spends for gems? Is the steam welcome pack Ok?

I remember the copper salvager thing being a good idea but no idea what else.

Copper salvage kit, at least 1 material storage expander, at least 1 bank tab expander, Mistlock Sanctuary pass. In about roughly that order.

Infinite gathering tools are also a solid pickup if you play exclusively 1 character but any amount of alting makes them a pita

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

jokes posted:

Best use of the shared inventory slot is the copper salvager and the revive orbs. Just so you can actually get rid of them.

Also I cannot believe how bone-headed/rude it is that they only have account-wide build templates. Because, you know, when you make an alt it's usually the same class as your main.

There's character build templates, you get 3 by default.

You get 2 equipment templates by default as well, and they actually store the gear (so, out of your inventory) which is pretty handy.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

jokes posted:

The build templates are account wide so if you have 3 guardian builds your warriors don’t get poo poo

These ones are per character, the ones on the left are per account

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Cutedge posted:

As a warrior I accept that I have another nerf in my future.

I'm honestly surprised axe never got nerfed to give them precisely 0 good weapons.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

With the engi trait 'aim assisted rockets' what exactly counts as a missile here?

Any projectile that can be reflected more or less. Most rifle and pistol skills, grenade and mortar kits, and the mech autos (when ranged traited) are the main sources. There's some other miscellaneous skills like mace 3 but I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

AmbientParadox posted:

Why is there no data available for the gem store starting next week? All the data miners stop their updates on 9/12.

What's going on?

That's the launch date for Guild Wars 3

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

MajorBonnet posted:

Now give Mirage its second dodge back in WvW/PvP.

From the stream they said they're gonna, it just has more stuff they need to be careful about

The new Vindicator jumps are also faster at 0.8s, it looked really fun.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The patch notes preview labels everything a bit more clearly. Vindicator jump change is for all modes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I just make a mystic kit whenever the mystic forger daily comes up and I've never run out of kits

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Extra_Life_Karma_Booster

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Celebration_Hat

previously a launch exclusive. 10 years later it's finally obtainable again. don't miss out

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Everyone knows a sniper rifle's effective range is much less than a bow and arrow.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I think about all the people who've done world completion before owning a skyscale and my bones start to hurt

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I caught a bit of that livestream and thought I was on drugs hearing them talk about how cool it is that they're reverting mantras back to the clunky precast stuff

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/world-vs-world-objective-scaling-rewards/

Launches tomorrow. Same event structure for WvW, but keeps/towers/castles now take more participation to to hit bronze/silver/gold event participation. Applies to assaults and defenses (failed assaults will have rewards later.)

New rewards "include rare equipment bags, WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets, or even Grandmaster Mark Shards."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I was looking to get back in doing some WvW with my mesmer, since I always struggled a lot with my warrior. The top build is celestial, though, and every piece of armor is quite expensive. I might have a few surprlus select-your-stats pieces and jewellery around, but I'd need to rack up some gold for a full kit, so I didn't go through with it.

If you want some easy stat selectable armor, go play around in Verdant Brink for a while. Bladed Armor boxes cost 1g and some zone currency, and if you have a flying mount it’s a breeze to get around and do events and open airship cargos. You can stack the jade bot offensive/defensive buffs from EoD content for a few hours and go obliterate everything.

Keep in mind for WvW stuff as well that the rewards currently heavily favor tagging everything in sight on offense and repairing walls on defense. iirc the top Mesmer build is a support Chrono with no ranged to it, which is extremely useful for organized play but will probably give you a bad time if you’re just pugging and not able to tag kills easily.

Something with strong 1200 ranged and melee capabilities like hammer/sword herald, staff/axe reaper, rifle holo or even longbow/GS berserker might treat you better if you’re still learning. I never play Mesmer so I don’t have good class advice, but Herald in particular is my go-to recommendation. Super simple, surprisingly resilient in all berserkers, and some nice boon support on top.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I like how the patch notes say “we’ve adjusted WvW rewards” and then provide 0 detail

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Orv posted:

Pray we do not alter them further.

guess I didn't pray hard enough

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Echovald isn't too bad until you go and do map completion and then you realize two of the POIs are locked behind mini-dungeons and one of those is locked behind a collection and there's multiple hearts using this stupid rear end "disguise and sabotage stuff in the base" gimmick and holy gently caress

And yet somehow it doesn't even compare to Tangled Depths

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Power Mech's damage is less insane but it's still very strong. Rifle was toned down, but Jade Dynamo got reworked so there's two power/condi GM traits to pick from. Dynamo gives you fairly high self-quickness uptime and reduces the mech's cooldowns which is handy when you can't get the Jade Bot offensive/defensive boons, like instances or really long boss fights. J-Drive enhances signets and lets their passives work while on CD, which is nice when you do have tons of Jade Bot buffs and don't benefit from extra quickness.

You also need to be in range of your mech once every 10 seconds in combat, or else it loses 50% of its stats. But it's still ridiculously sturdy for soloing anything you want and the damage is high and idiot proof, and unlike a lot of open world builds you can do most everything in full zerkers.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Having been loving around with WvW lately I’m insanely jealous anyone could skip this hellgrind.

Why are the pip increases so insanely level gated?? Why does anyone who’s rank 10,000 need a special pip increase you would have more tickets than god at that rank :negative:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Nektu posted:

After the reward improvements they did for wvw a few weeks back levels now increase very quickly.

Yeah, the restructuring betas and droplets of updates are we got me to play it a bit more seriously. But I think it also highlights how from years of casual play I'd maybe amassed only 600~ish tickets? But because the skirmish tracks are so insanely backloaded to the absolute fuckening of casuals, playing heavily over four weeks now I've basically quadrupled my total.

I think I also added about 200 ranks in my recent play to about 500, which seems like a lot, but the next pip increase is still at rank 620. Whoever designed these rewards is truly psychotic

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

quote:

Repairing walls and gates will no longer award event participation. This alleviates the behavior we've seen in farming Objective Scaling Rewards and "wasting" supply while defending. However, an additional side effect of this is that repairing alone will not progress achievements that require event participation, such as Keep Keeper, Nice View, or Stay Out.

lol, and might I add? lmao.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

If you try to load into WvW with a support build it should just crash your game until you learn your lesson

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

That happens any time you equip a brand new weapon. Weapon swaps or getting into combat/killing something should also fix it, iirc.

It's a weird little holdover quirk from how they initially designed weapon skills to unlock by killing enemies with that weapon equipped. It got changed to just unlock through leveling a while ago, but there's still a bit of jank under the hood I guess.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I love the infinite scroll when you unlock every core hero point through WvW

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I like how they took the time to address questions about the new content model, except the only question anyone actually had which was just "hey isn't this Icebrood Saga with a price tag?"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Features seem very light for only :fivecbux: off, but if this is the price I must pay for pistol ele...

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Genuinely surprised there's never been a monk or fistfighter of some kind

Like I guess Daredevil has that one utility but that's seriously it??

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

boho posted:

As I understand it, the combination of what you pick determines the depth or involvement of each category, with the aim that everyone's dailies take the same amount of time. So choosing PVE + WvW + PVP gives quests that require dabbling in every mode for 20 minutes each while just picking WvW gives you objectives that take about an hour of only WvW. Takes an hour to do dailies in both cases.

It's more interesting than the old system, that's for sure.

Yeah but why can't they just give me all the options from all 3 and say "sorry only the first 3 actually gives currency"

Like I've always done the easier WvW ones like shrine captures or killing dolyaks and that was a good way to get me into the mode to goof around or follow a tag for a little while, but right now selecting WvW takes slots away from typically much easier PvE dailies. So now I'll probably spend less time in WvW for it (and also lol at deleting a source of those lovely lockboxes, way to make them somehow even worse.)

The rewards are good but the dailies stuff is way less interesting and flexible

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Is the relic system just outright worse than the old one? Both my power warrior and condi virtuoso have like, no good options from condi/power relics. Should I just put some all around support option in there?

I've done a few dailies and the weekly, but looks like there's a hard cap on astral thingie of 1300 and there's not really point to do more until I can buy the expansion (which I cannot right now) and can spend it on the legendary kit and/or griffon skin.

I'm not a theorycrafter but I just went with the thief relic for power builds since 5% damage appeared to be the most straightforward and attainable boost. Not very exciting, though.

From the Vault, I dunno why you would sit at cap for any reason. If you're looking for pure gold value, it's the cheap bag of coins > mystic coins > cheap crafting bags > laurels. And then the legendary kit is an insane value, but obviously only if you actually make the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

CubicalSucrose posted:

A bunch of people had turtle mounts and were cheesing people through it.

Saw a mesmer with a commander tag advertising in map chat that they'd do ports for gold and then there was someone with an open turtle seat at the gate just doing it for free and that felt really good to watch happen