Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I came back a couple months ago and it’s been good. I still hop around max level alts constantly meaning that my gearing is all over the place and I have no focus for getting AR, but I’ve been having a ton of fun.

Currently playing a bunch of Rev in fractals, strikes, and WvW and enjoying the hell out of it.

I was hoping that the 10th anniversary would come with a discount on the living world stuff because I’m still missing all of LS3 and IBS but no dice yet :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I’m using the jade sliver recycler though I’m not sure what to spend the slivers on. Save up for the leather box for 1600? The fact that it’s almost triple the cost of the other mats seems to indicate to me that they know something is fucky with their economy.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

… you’re not using all of your available skills …

*Laughs in quick herald*

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

HampHamp posted:

Enjoying this so far, but I have one major complaint - for a new player, the method of filling out your elite spec is super dumb.

So I've just finished the base story, and started living world season one (I like to progress through the story stuff in the right order). This means that with some light open world exploration, I've filled all the basic spec trees, and have enough for the first 2 skills in the elite spec I chose (reaper). The problem is... these skills now cost a LOT of points, between 10 and 20 it seems like. So for the build to work, I need to go around and collect an absolute ton of the open world hero points.

This wouldn't be much of an issue, but the jump in difficulty from base to living world is quite high, and I'm constantly aware that my spec is totally gimped until I get like a hundred more of these points from the open world. The only way around this appears to be getting the expansion hero points (which give like ten instead of one i hear), but I'd prefer not to go into expansion stuff until I get there naturally though the story.

Is this just the way things are? It's kinda killed my momentum, but it is what it is I guess and I'll have to just get on with it.

Core necro is still good, and hero points on the map when you hit any of the expansions give you 10 points in one shot, hence the inflation.

Hero points in HoT are often not really meant to be soloed though, so keep an eye out for HP trains in the LFG tool. Follow one of those and you’ll have the points for a spec and a half.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Actuarial Fables posted:

Your personal fractal level determines what LFG tiers you're allowed to access. Their level isn't high enough to even click on the t4 lfg, let alone make/join a group.

Guilds really help in this regard because you can group with guildies that can do t4s and the LFG tool can’t stop you. Also if you’re in SFD I’m always on around 21:30 CST and also recently geared myself to t4s and I’m sure we could con some others in as well.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

jokes posted:

Asura are such weird and gross little monsters

Yeah they’re great

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

queeb posted:

help me decide the best use of my time. i love this game so any time playing it is dope. I can either do the return achievements which i have 0 of, and by chance im also on the step of the skyscale to get 250 of each currency, so i'd be able to get both those out of the way, or i go into EoD which i havent done yet, and get the skiff/jadebot and whatnot.

The skyscale is real good and useful and the return achievements get you closer to Vision, I’d say That.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

The treasure trail is killing me

Tortolia posted:

Sometimes WvW is good.

Get a treb blueprint. It’s fundamentally worthless, so on a lark I throw it down next to the NW camp in desert BL and shell fire keep for a bit. Eventually a half dozen Sea of Sorrows players come and run me over, then I proceed to get abusive tells directed at me for a bit calling me Mag Noob and to go back to EBG, plus when the gank squad caught up to me a few minutes later they threw a bunch of treb build sites on my corpse.

Way more entertainment value than you could get for 4c anywhere else in game. I love being on Maguuma.

It's great how simply playing on Mag will just break the opposing player's brains sometimes.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I generally start with roamer builds from guildjen/vallun or metabattle and then tweak for my preferences after trying them for a bit. For guardian I’ve been recently messing with power willbender, but dragon hunter is also good for clouding and harassing zergs with longbow and traps.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Cele Harb in particular makes players lose their minds. It’s a super strong and durable roamer.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Alternatively, I believe the expacs are also on sale via Amazon.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Fractals are good and I got my first legendary that way. T4 dailies are also decent gold. They have some real weird holdovers from being the first “end game” content in gw2 though. I wish they’d kill the AR requirements but let you scale up further for better rewards (like piling on instabilities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

You don’t have to have a main. I rotate between six different characters for WvW, story quests, and general open world stuff because I get bored if I use the same build for everything.

Yeah, this. I have one of every class geared for the specs I like in the various content types. I’ve been trying to constrain myself to medium armor classes as I’m working on my legendary armor set (2/6 so far!). So many things are account-wide it made alt-hopping not a bad thing. Except when trying to remember who’s holding something you’re looking for that you were too lazy to bank.