Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i think the vibe overall has imrpoved. the mox v punk posting up until the match last week was a lot of fun.

i think people can still get their dander up over things like their opinion being challenged or someone saying they don't like a storyline their favorite wrestler is in. but that will happen everywhere when some people take their entertainment more seriously than others

oh and the c*dy and aew is dead horses have fully decomposed and are now becoming one with the earth again, please stop beating them (this won't happen but it's also fine)

edit: agree that mods that use their words before their buttons would be a big improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

CarlCX posted:

:unsmith: I am continually glad people get value out of them.

I also think a little more touching base in the threads would be good, but I am the lowly MMA IK and dare not exert power in wrestling threads outside of occasionally probating Bolt Yaride.

god's work

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

It did kind of illustrate the problem though. Because a poster was brought up as having been "driven away" and then immediately that poster was attacked as having said something worthy of being ganged up on. And the fact that LL continued to post after that and there's been other incidents with much less contentious subjects goes by the wayside. The instinct is defensive and aggressive.

nvm this was lovely

Critical fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 27, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

yeah we should prob table singling out someone who isn't even here and I shouldn't have participated in it

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Hello everyone!

Since I am no longer degening in Vegas and my brain has recovered from becoming complete tapioca (debatable) I wanted to share some thoughts and open this back up. New mods are in full swing and this being a completely batshit week that will probably get even more batshit I'm sure people have things to say.

I believe, and I'm sure the rest of the mod team agrees with me, that this is the best place on the webs to discuss most things, by a fairly wide margin. I wouldn't have stuck around for nearly 15 years (Jesus Haploid Christ) otherwise. It ain't perfect, but nowhere is going to be. I love this place and was pretty honored to be tapped to help out. Being deep in an edible high while gorging myself at a buffet when I read the PM from HK probably helped a bit. So I'm going to do the best I can to keep it that way and improve the experience for everyone.

This thread seems to think that the "words before buttons" philosophy is best, and I very much tend to agree. You may have noticed in the AEW thread. A slight nudging of the conversation seems to have helped keep the thread from hurtling completely off the rails. Also spent most of the night last night nearly in tears laughing at some of the posts in there, so I appreciate the effort of everyone to keep sane.

That being said, I realize that it can be a thin line to walk sometimes and I don't want to smother conversation. If you feel like that may be happening, please let me know. My PMs are open for pretty much any reason.

One thing I would like to address is dogpiling. Sometimes it seems like when an unpopular opinion is posted this place is suddenly NBA All Star Weekend and everyone is trying to be MJ from the free throw line by getting the best dunk on the offending post. It can be a little much and can foster the unwelcoming vibe some people can feel. If you see something you don't agree with and a bunch of people have already commented on it, just repeating the same poo poo with altered verbiage doesn't help much. Please give it a thought before planting your flag on the top of that mountain. Please note that this is not a rule and I'm not going to start bopping people for disagreeing with each other. I'm literally the newest mod on the site and am not just making new poo poo up without discussing it with the team first. Just a light suggestion that I think will improve discourse a bit.

I'm going keep this open for some discussion on how things are going. As always please keep it civil.

I appreciate all of you. Here is a picture of my dumb chubby cat, as a treat.

Critical fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 7, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

While I hate to be a party pooper we should keep this thread for feedback.

However I am not heartless. Post your pets here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011692

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

It was four minutes after my post so you get the benefit of the doubt. Because you have till 5.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

outside of that one poster that physically can't stop themselves from melting down at every chance the aew thread has been the funniest it's been in a long time so thanks to cm punk for being a petty messy bitch completely unprovoked and to our moderators for being chill

i honestly think it's 95% that everyone is able to concentrate on the asininity (is this a word?) of the drama so no one is arguing about the women or hangers booking or whatever the gently caress we get into slapfights every week about. we will take the 5% credit though.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I think a rules thread would be prudent since traffic is going up a bit. 150 page weekly thread is pretty insane. Will discuss.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Hey yo.

You may have noticed the new rules thread has appeared. Special thanks to J-Ru who let me rip off 90% of his old thread with a few additions.

Mood had been pretty chill as of late with a few exceptions. Going to keep this open for another day or so in case any issues pop up, then it will be closed. If anyone has an issue feel free to pm a mod, if there's anything that involves community discussion we can always open this back up.

Appreciate everyone's effort to keep the good vibes going from last week.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Open it stays.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Mocking someone's sexuality is not tolerated, even speculation is not something I'm comfortable with. Unless it's something like Bowen's recent interview or part of a (non-gross) gimmick probably shouldn't even enter the discussion. Might throw something in the rules thread just to clarify.

The post in a vacuum is fine imo but with the past probe I can absolutely see it being a bother so I apologize for signal boosting as well.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I believe all relevant issues have been handled. I also threw in a line in the rules thread about not discussing a wrestler's sexuality unless it's relevant. Coming out, getting engaged, being part of a gimmick, etc.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

If the post bothered people, it bothered people. There's nothing histrionic about a innocent looking joke that gets worse because the person has a history of jokes at the expense of others. And if you found it funny, that's fine too. No one is cross examining you.

And I think the thought we're sacrificing funny posts on the altar of moderation is not accurate at all. We had the best thread this forum has ever seen, like, ten days ago. The drama has died down a bit so people are getting bored and snippy but overall I feel everything is mostly fun and we still have funny posts. The fact that someone had to sit in the corner for six hours isn't going to change that.

This thread is very much on a "wait and see" basis and not guaranteed to stay open specifically because it can cause slapfights. I think it's good for the overall health of the forums but if we have to babysit it because it regularly turns into the the locker room at the NOW Arena it's going to go away for a while. Please stop biting each other.

Critical fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Might be missing something but I feel like a dedicated news thread becomes kind of useless unless you ban news posts from the proper discussion threads, at which point you would just be linking back to the news thread anyway and then discussing the quoted post when it could have just been directly posted in the first place. Anyone know how the old ones worked?

Although I do think a fully kayfabed ridiculous news thread where everyone acts like the headlines are real would be fun. We used to have one where WCW won the war.

I usually take the SRS tweets as an unspoken "Anyone with a sub have the scoops brother?" request. I do have a sub because I am a sucker and can check real quick if I see them.

Critical fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 8, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

Not sure how it was in the old days but I don't see a problem with having a thread that just aggregates all the wrestling news for all the promotions and the business as a whole and additionally have promotion specific news show up in the discussion threads. It'll probably just naturally shift to the news thread after a bit if it catches on but even if news are still posted in the other threads it's not going to hurt anybody. Hell, some people will probably get their scoops from the news thread and repost them in the other relevant places.

Imma shrug and say :justpost: for whoever wants to make it and we can see if it floats. Would suggest it be news and not gossip, ie no posting some rando on the birdsite with 100 followers with sources saying CM Punk has been compromised to a permanent end or whatever horseshit they post to get attention. We all know who this includes.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

I didn't know asking people to post the actual information instead of just the clickbait advertisement tweet would be controversial but here we are

I mean sometimes even the clickbait is new to me. Didn't know there would be anyone WWE and AEW would be fighting over at the moment that wasn't contracted.

And if yall keep slapfighting I'm going to mod challenge you to write essays on why the perfectplex is the best finisher of all time.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

From what I can see another report came in this morning for the linked post which prompted the second sixer. Two probations passing each other silently in the night.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

NienNunb posted:

PROPOSITION: a separate CM Punk Derangement Containment thread for the people who want to post about how much they either love or hate CM Punk at all hours of the day, so that the AEW thread could potentially cover other topics.

don't personally have a prob with this, however for some loving reason this topic above all else causes much gnashing of (larry's) teeth so i'd be a little more strict in there when people start throwing barbs at each other.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The thing about positive vibes only threads is they're not a good environment for discussion.

We have one currently. It's on page 3. It got a few pages of listicles and then died.

They're also, I imagine, a pain in the rear end to mod if they're actually busy, as there are going to be judgement calls about vibes and I personally do not want to be babysitting and telling people to post anything vaguely negative in the other thread.

I understand the AEW thread can get pissy sometimes, like earlier today. It lasted about a page and a half, someone got put in time out, and now it's fine.

With the vignette last night of the Elite on the way back I have a feeling we will be getting more news about Punk soon. If that happens we can make a thread so it doesn't dominate the AEW thread, especially if he gets bought out as some people think he will be.

yea ok posted:

It’s not about positive or negative it’s about tedium. I’m usually very anti-containment but if I never have to hear about how cm punk is a loser bitch again until something actually real and newsworthy comes out it’ll be too soon.

I get this and I'm usually reticent to squash topics but I'm not above a quick "shut the gently caress up about Punk for a while" request if another pissing contest happens.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I had other things I was going to put in my previous post but my therapist called and I had to saw it off at the knees. Those things have now floated into the atmosphere like so many dandelion seeds.

I think it's pretty safe to say a separate forum for AEW is off the table. Just not enough content or discussion to be feasible.

Unless any other mods have an objection to it I think a Punk thread is fine. Normally I would say :justpost: but since the topic tends to get people hotter than most lets let other opinions come in and see what the big news Dave is hinting at before pulling the trigger.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah title changes have to be ok'd by an admin. So we can try for you but it's not guaranteed. Shard doesn't post anywhere else and we couldn't figure out exactly why he got the pro KSA avatar other than posting in the WWE thread so it went through smoothly. But if you post like a dipshit get a TUNNELL HOT TAR red text you may be poo poo outta luck.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

remember that time adam page attacked jon moxley and then ran away yelling "can't catch me i'm the stinky weepman"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Going to make this very clear, again, going forward as it's becoming an issue: Someone stating "I do not like XXX" is not a personal attack.

Responding with something like "I liked the promo and here's why I thought it worked" is good and promotes discussion. "LOL get worked nub" is dismissive and starts arguments.

MJeff posted:

So uh.

Is there like. A line with the dude that constantly insults people and has now graduated to dropping slurs?

It's 0930 here and unfortunately my forums provided crystal ball is in the shop. Punishments have been meeted (moted? gently caress it's too early for grammar) out and discussions are happening.

Edit: The C word is considered a slur via forum rules and is only allowed in certain threads where it being verboten would cause people's brains to collapse, ie the UK and Aussie threads.

EditEdit: Ganso put this much better in the thread so I am going to post it here as well.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Love to wake up to a thread completely making GBS threads itself over nothing.

Can we all agree that to the wrestling fan, none of this poo poo is life and death? We had several pretty good weeks of the AEW thread being normal and not a giant pain in the rear end. Then, suddenly, there's one promo that some people liked and some people didn't like and everyone's heads exploded.

Nobody is going to come set your friends and family on fire because you liked or didn't like a wrestling promo, or any other aspect of a wrestling show.

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions, even if they have the audacity to be the opposite of your opinions. Nobody needs to get poo poo on for whatever they like/dislike and the thread really doesn't need a multi-page derail with petty snipes and stupid bitching.

Is it possible to just talk about wrestling like normal people? To not take everything personal or feel the need to lash out at someone because they feel a different way? Why is it so many people's kneejerk reaction to be sarcastic and antagonistic pricks?

Can everyone just take like 30 steps back, take a few deep breaths, and come back to the thread with a clear head and try not to start any stupid arguments? Is it possible to just discuss the thing we like without losing our minds?

Critical fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 2, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

What is Tony Khan's money to SomethingAwful LLC even going to?! :mad:

*quickly throws blanket over mox standee and 6 foot tall bong* oh, you know, stuff

thank you!

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

hey listen

decided modding was not for me at this particular moment in time. hope i was able to help those who needed it and wish the rest of the mods well, you guys are awesome. figured i would address it now so people don't assume poo poo. see yall in the posting mines.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

It was an honor serving with you.

Same my friend. Same for KK and Junpei as well.

appreciate all the kind words! ready to :justpost:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

man i gave it up too early. could have dropped the legendary triple hammer on em.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What did EMF say (apart from unbelievable)

tried to type cody rhodes with all asterisks, creating a posting singularity that wiped out half the aew thread

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Didn't the last comedy IK this forum go apeshit with power?

if you call one bad probation apeshit with power then absolutely

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

if there are any groups out there recruiting, just know that i may or may not be in your price range

but the only thing that's for sure about critical is that nothings for sure

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

we had that rule and it was redacted so we could bask in the glory of butt the shitman fart. i just cut it out of the new rule thread when I made it

the main example was calling former cowboys qb tony romo "tony homo" so that might give you an idea of why it existed in the first place

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

i summed up cornettes last few years the last time the containment thread popped off

Critical posted:

this thread is 51 pages detailing how cornette has called people pedophiles because he doesn't like how they wrestle, been extremely racist towards joshi wrestlers, wished death on multiple people in a profession known for people dying early, was so racist against arabs that his co host quit, said women don't belong in the main event, said a woman shouldn't be on tv because she's a "butterface", complimented grizzly smith, who was a monster who raped his daughter, on multiple occasions, got extremely mad a cartoon dog died and then took credit for bringing him back, assaulted his coworker and then called the cops on said coworker when they got in his face at a con, was so unhinged about vince russo russo was granted a restraining order against him which he then released to the public (this was kinda funny ngl), said they should lean into the fact nyla rose is trans and have women refuse to wrestle her because she's actually a man, and once poo poo himself on commentary from drinking too much sprite

as for the thread history, when AEW was first starting Cornette started gaining a following due to an intense hatred of the product. every week he would say something hateful, nearly everyone would call him a loving rear end in a top hat, and any thread he was mentioned in would come to an assgrinding halt. thus we built an ecto containment unit in the basement to keep him from haunting the rest of the forum.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

cav with the dive off the balcony oh dios mio

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

He shook his head to clear it, thought of taking another sip of water, and dismissed the idea. Tonight. When he was in catering over the remains of the shattered table. Then he would drink. As for now . . .

As for now, he would resume his journey. Somewhere ahead was the PPV. Closer, however, much closer, was the faction (was it a faction, was it really?) who could perhaps tell him how to get there. Scorpio would do a run-in, and when he did, the faction would promo - aye, yes, yar, tell it on the mountain as you'd hear it in the valley: Malakai would be confronted, and Malakai would tallk.

Scorpio touched his PS5 again, and its reality was oddly comforting, as if he had never touched it before.
Time to get posting.
The House of Black fled across the arena, and the Face of the Revolution followed.

25 May 2019 - 19 June 2023
I tell Tony thankya

oh my god

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The Gunslingers Creed but it's about hitting people with chairs

i do not aim for the head
he who aims for the head has forgotten the face of his trainer
i aim for the back

i do not hit with the edge
he who hits with the edge has forgotten the face of his trainer
i hit with the seat

i cant think of a third one

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

when we told that one guy to put up fliers thats not what we were talking about

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Shard posted:

What got me the most was "my other partners"

sometimes you just need a cuddlewell while waiting for your print job to finish. inkjets take a while.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ladder match for the mod star

*rolls under the bottom rope and walks to the back like gail kim*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

mod will be determined by a reverse battle royal king of the mountain match

what im saying here is welcome your new mod of PSP jeff jarrett