Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

:synpa:

This time I'm really going to try to get into drafitng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

little munchkin posted:

Top Commons in no particular order:

Kind of a short list, everything afterwards is pretty contextual.

Good luck, have fun!

Great post as always lil munch

White, Blue, Red all look great and black's commons fall WAY off a cliff after Extinguish the Light and Phyrexian Rager. Green also exists I suppose.

I caught a few streams yesterday and UR with all the pieces looks real good, I guess we'll see how contested it is. Get on it while the getting is good.

I think taking off-colour lands for kicker will be a mid-pack priority once you setlle into your deck. The power level of commons is real flat aside from a couple standouts and a lot of the power is in the kickers, it's like half a gold set.

Aside from UR and maybe some Wx decks, it doesn't look like it's going to be a very aggressive format, you might have some time to fart around and play 3-5 colour soup, DIVINATION IS BACK BABY but you'll still have to actually play to the board.

quoting myself from the last thread

Lone Goat posted:

It's gonna be real drat funny if both NEO and Domu end up being better 3+ colour draft formats than Capenna

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

White, Blue, Red all look great and black's commons fall WAY off a cliff after Extinguish the Light and Phyrexian Rager. Green also exists I suppose.

These are my tier two black commons that i think look pretty good (last two only if you can kick them). I don't see the giant haymakers and insane value engines like we've seen in the last few sets, so cards that are just good at attacking/blocking are going to be more valuable than they were in innistrad/kamigawa/capenna.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

These are my tier two black commons that i think look pretty good (last two only if you can kick them). I don't see the giant haymakers and insane value engines like we've seen in the last few sets, so cards that are just good at attacking/blocking are going to be more valuable than they were in innistrad/kamigawa/capenna.

I dunno, aside from the kicker cards those look like the fillerest fillers that ever filled a deck. Bone Splinters and Gibbering Barricade look like stealth WB cards and cute in GBx with the 0/2 land finder defender. UB just looks like a random control deck that can win with any idiot big creature so you just want more removal and card draw and everything in between doesn't matter. RB uhhhhh I don't even know.

Black doesn't seem like it has a strong identity this set so you're just pairing what works with your main colour

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ariong posted:

:synpa:

This time I'm really going to try to get into drafitng.

Make sure you get into the discord, we always need more draft sickos to ride to victory!

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Huxley posted:

The shards (introduced in Shards of Alara block, representing a color and the two colors it’s touching on the color wheel):

Red + green + black = Jund
White + green + blue = Bant
Black + red + blue = Grixis
Green + white + red = Naya
Blue + white + black = Esper

So everybody is just trying to forget about Riveteers, Brokers, Maestros, Cabaretti, and Obscura? Were the Streets of New Capenna really so traumatic?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

waloo posted:

So everybody is just trying to forget about Riveteers, Brokers, Maestros, Cabaretti, and Obscura? Were the Streets of New Capenna really so traumatic?

You'll likely never hear those words again once we leave Capenna, just like we never talk about Ketria, Zag...oth? and whatever the other 3 triomes are.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

waloo posted:

Bang, jund, grixis, etc were the first terms used to deal with the 3 colour shards, so they have stuck. Same with the 10 2 colour guilds (from Ravnica) and the 5 wedges from khans of tarkir.

Much like magic itself, going first has its advantages.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
We should have stuck with the Elder Dragon Legend names.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

waloo posted:

They are not mentioned on the standard (let alone eternal) playable cards. At least not enough to impact the deck naming.
Similarly they don't have enough distinct identity to make it worth naming a deck by them.
The same thing happened in Ikoria.

There were a distinct Witherbloom (pests), Prismari (dragons) and Lorehold (reanimator) decks which used the name. But witherbloom was only B tier at most and the others lost too much of the specific identity and went back to the traditional names (or to Jeskai).
The Capenna name most likely to catch on is Raffine. He is mentioned on two cards that are important to a strong deck, and defines the color identity. Obscura, who?

tldr: I blame the triome names. And the not-triome names from Capenna even more.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Black doesn't seem like it has a strong identity this set

phyrexians take away your identity and they're primary in black so this tracks

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

where my raka and dega boomers at? Volvers of the world, unite!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shrecknet posted:

where my raka and dega boomers at? Volvers of the world, unite!

It's still BUG and Junk in my heart

Pfff "Jeskai", this is America

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I found it ironic that the "team america" deck was not jeskai but sultai

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ty and cheers to munckin and posters itt like him who make helpful and efficient limited posts casue im not a 4 hour youtube/podcast kind of guy but also i dont want to totally toilet my draft tokens every release

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ty and cheers to munckin and posters itt like him who make helpful and efficient limited posts casue im not a 4 hour youtube/podcast kind of guy but also i dont want to totally toilet my draft tokens every release

not an emptyquote

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Here's my limited advice: draft good cards, pass bad cards

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My limited advice is to draft the first rare that looks like it could end a game, force those colors the rest of the way. Then when you 7-X you feel smart and when you 0-3 you can blame the table for "being too inexperienced to read my signals."

Also, if you wait until just before the season resets, you can buy into whichever quickdraft is live on both sides of the reset. Then play a game in both months off one draft and you only have to do one every other month to get the season reward for Bronze.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

These are the high level notes I have for myself for Dominaria:

Drafting:
Try a draftsim and use their algo weights as a guide. The drafting AI gets locked in with +2.0 weights for on-color adjustments (lol), so you'll definitely get a 2 color deck if you pick based off of scores for how good cards are.
https://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Draft_DMU

Playing:
Once you have your deck, understand the overall gameplan.

Aggro: you probably would've had to actively draft this, but low curve, good mana base (taking turns off is bad)
Midrange: play those 3+ mana high value dummies, have removal. try to outsize aggro or outspeed control. against midrange, it'll be a back and forth.
Control: crack a big bomb? see if you can stall for the bomb

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

as we are about 10m from launch, be aware poo poo's gonna crash constantly, so enter as many drafts as you can so you get the cards from the draft then the gems from the reimbursement

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is the most gold I've had saved up going into a set since that time they broke quest completion.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

as we are about 10m from launch, be aware poo poo's gonna crash constantly, so enter as many drafts as you can so you get the cards from the draft then the gems from the reimbursement

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've got 170k gold and 15k gems atm lmao it's good to take the summer off drafting

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm so pumped for a new fresh limited format and the first 2 weeks or so when Standard is open and interesting!

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

constructed wise doesnt seem like a very control friendly set or did i miss anything obvious? blue seems kind of bad in general and creatures are really strong. no real u/w finisher either.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm I should put revel in riches in my hbrawl deck, I've already gotten a halo fountain win

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

constructed wise doesnt seem like a very control friendly set or did i miss anything obvious? blue seems kind of bad in general and creatures are really strong. no real u/w finisher either.

control is always weakest just after rotation before they get all their toys.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I could see some kind of base UB domain control take shape with the -x/-x sweeper and the sphinx that fact or fictions. Depends on how good those are with only powered up to 3 out of 5 that the triomes provide.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Gonna be weird playing without manlands

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol i had to click through like 5 screens of opening stuff.

Time to crack open my sealed pool...!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gonna miss Hive Tyrant, it was my insurance policy against Tenacious Underdogs.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

I feel like Temporary Lockdown is the new Doomskar/Righteous Valkyrie in terms of "thing aggro decks hate to see on turn 3".

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm open palm slamming wildcards on Sheoldred/Lilillana/Raven Man. Discard got some new toys to offset losing Tergrid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I feel like Temporary Lockdown is the new Doomskar/Righteous Valkyrie in terms of "thing aggro decks hate to see on turn 3".

Yeah Temporary Lockdown is gonna be an absolutely brutal draw against aggro.

For my part a few games in and I feel like monored is SO nearly there - Lightning Strike, Phoenix Chick, and Shivan Devastator are solid additions but it's still missing a killer 2 drop or burn spell/combo finisher to really get there.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 1, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ok but the Crying Real Housewives sticker is amazing. Ajani as Smudge is kinda meh, though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think my first deck in DMU is... the Defender deck...?!

Event #1 (Sealed)

https://www.17lands.com/deck/910962373c6b41be80fc7b03d21b984d

I had a lot of defender cards, but seeing the Walking Bulwark and Shield-Wall Sentinel was what made this seem actually viable? The lands I opened made a blue splash basically "free" for BG, which enables Vineshaper Prodigy's kicker. If I'm dabbling there might as well get Combat Research which has the most upside? I have the UB uncommon legend but it seems like it would just be a bear in this deck.

The other thing I could consider would be W instead of U. I have a lot of black cards that have powerful W kickers and the three Samites would make playing the Cleric lord potentially viable, plus the Queen... it is a bit more commitment though and I don't know the power level justifies it?

Edit: hmm lords of limited gave Combat Research a D, i guess that makes sense, also i only have two fliers that would make good use of it. I guess I'll play the writhing necromass, and uh vohar? I guess looting is decent enough trinket text

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 1, 2022

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

:gonk:

the classic ajani avi...

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

For my part a few games in and I feel like monored is SO nearly there - Lightning Strike, Phoenix Chick, and Shivan Devastator are solid additions but it's still missing a killer 2 drop or burn spell/combo finisher to really get there.
Radha's Firebrand appears to be pretty strong as far as 2 drops go.

no real u/w finisher either.
How do you feel about Haughty Djinn and Serra Paragon?

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 1, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Going with kinda temur...uhh stuff (???) in my first sealed pool

I've won my first match tho it came down to my opponent not realising I had a blocker with reach. Lol. Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Code for 3 boosters: PlayDMU.