Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Invoke Despair, I friggin hate my opponents and the dumb crap they try to put in my way. We wouldn't have to play Invoke Despair if people just conceded when we dropped Sleeper Agent or whatever turn one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was running monob early on before switching to a budget red deck wins, and I just conceded against people doing that selesnya enchantment poo poo. It's not unwinnable but it's not usually worth the time. There's also some red/black deck that seems to stomp my MonoB once they get their value stuff out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why is Durss considered not great in BO1? There's another card I can't find the name of rn, but it makes opponent discard 2 cards and I think that's my favourite card to play as MonoB aggro. Yeah, they get to choose it but usually feels like if I throw that thing down early and get em to discard half their hand or more I only have to worry about top deck threats and answers which is usually where I wanna be when smashing face.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Brawl is kinda fun, only did it a few times before just mashing whatever my quest stuff was, but this time made a mini commander deck with soldiers n crap. Wonder why this isn't a format on paper? Just too fast/consistent compared to commander?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It is a paper format, it just never took off - there's not a big audience for "casual format where you have to keep updating the deck with cards that have their prices overinflated due to being in Standard", it turns out

Ohhhh I absolutely did not realize it was standard style, haha, just assumed it was anything-goes singleton with EDH banlist. I would not have asked knowing there's a rotation, I would instead have asked why is there a rotation lol no I wouldn't becau$e I know why

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So is this Decathalon token basically just for going pro or are just really good and wanna win some cash? IIRC these tokens are just used to get into other phantom events, to compete for play points or more tokens. I just need cards to eventually play decks I want in formats I want, so this is just a bad route unless I'm suddenly a lot better at playing competitively with jumpstart packs. Jumpstart is still fun so no harm going in at least once, went with a black/green sacrifice/graveyard combo hoping it shakes out.

edit: deck wasn't terrible just way too slow. bo3 would be more fun i thiink

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

I usually concede when I know that I have no outs or answers left. Hand size has nothing to do with my decision there.

Additionally, unless I'm playing ranked or in an event, I will concede for just about any reason, at any point. Maybe I'm hungry. Maybe my cat barfed. Who knows. I don't really ascribe much meaning at all to a concession for exactly that reason.

I won a game yesterday but opponent was salty and was trying to rope me out. Usually I take that as my queue to stretch my legs or go do whatever for a bit, but this time I just conceded because it was funnier to me that this bitter loser would probably be really excited about his unearned win, especially after I made 3 big misplays that should've lost me the match and I almost shame-conceded after each one. The scrub beat them playing badly and they didn't even get to be petty wasting our time, I gifted them their own time back and earned them some XP, nothing they ever do in the game will be legit and every account level they earn from here on out is basically owed to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit checked

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: six monored aggro in a row in 10 minutes, not even close to beating monoblue. haughty djinn is stupid

haha yeah given im spamming monored for quick games, if I see a djinn come out and im not jus ta straight up lightning bolt or 2 from winning already I just leave.

untapped.gg tells me i can build that djinn deck actually, but given new set is so close i don't wanna craft anything right now. I did discover i had enough cards to just build a selesnya tokens so its nice to have another standard option.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Playing my old monoblack aggro deck for some quests today, decided to do it in historic since don't wanna drop my standard rank close to end of month. Kinda fun to see a bigger variety of decks, plus seems to perform better here than in standard where I abandoned the deck. I played against the weirdest blue played who had 4 blue mana but never cast a spell, and even though I'm trying to spam black cards I just cast 2 Sleepers and kept pumping them to victory. Maybe it was a protest?

I saw this Boros deck with a buncha stuff I'd never seen before, seemed kind of fun. They did 18 damage with this 6/1 who had like protection from some number of mana spells or everything but a certain mana cost, and had a few guys with that and a bunch of keyword spam guys too. I should've looked at some card names. Turn 1 or 2 she played a 1/1 with 3 aggressive keywords and followed with one of the two protection from numbers or whatever things. No way I'll be able to craft it but I need a white deck around for quests anyway.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's exactly it, thank you!

Wow I never messed with historic since I don't even have the cards to make standard decks I want, but I'm getting stomped by all sorts of exciting new-to-me things. Nadir Kraken deck popping off really pops off. This person had their hero themed to the deck too as some sea creature haha. Sooo many tentacles.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 29, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahaha sounds like Jump-Iin. Sometimes you get a really cohesive deck, other times you get two halves of different decks not helping eachother.

Edit: There we're gems on sale the other day in shop, is it better to just get the 100 free gems by buying them with gems or converting gold to gems?

Edit2: never played Kamigawa before, tried the draft and quickly got to 3 wins with my rakdos aggroish deck. Then I went up against a green white enchantment deck, whatever, have 5 voltage surges and a great start, get them down to 6 health, dead next turn if nothing changes, and they're still just new boot goofing with ramp and a couple of drawcard puppies. Then suddenly there's a hundred enchantments and synergies out and I'm totally locked out and facing a huge board of big trees and some buildings. Then I faced two more of the same type and also lost lol, tried my hardest though. I even properly sequenced my experimental electric exile sword thingy all three hard games.

Most annoying part was I went Rakdos because first pack had an Oni Cult anvil and went for that but never drew it in any game. Not even milled!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 1, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

lmao the midweek artisan poo poo is hilarious

"Only commons and uncommons" but it's alchemy so you get a bunch of commons and uncommons that summon/draft/conjure rares and mythics into your hand. Total bullshit

where are you seeing this? All I see is some draft options

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Midweek Magic runs from (I think) 8am PST Tuesday to Thursday, so the event is gone now

oh weird, played last night and didn't see it, but I guess Ii must've hopped right into kamigawa draft. whoopsie, i like the weirdo formats they do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

babypolis posted:

the jaunty tune that plays whenever you play a citizen

give us cosmetic audio options and this would be my default token summon noise

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Very fun limited, kinda think it'll be fun in constructed too? Blue didn't seem great on its own in limited because seemed very reliant on combos and synergy with other mechanics to really work, but in constructed I can see it being very scary. My sealed packs had like 6 blue draw spells I couldn't use or rely on but seems like a blue backed proliferate and corrupted deck could have some legs to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gotta be sick of something each meta! I only experience one sealed draft on ONE so far but it seems like it'll be a pleasantly fast meta for Limited at least. I've no experience brewing standard decks, but I definitely want to squeeze Mondrak, Gloryhole into my selesnya tokens deck. Maybe a Skrelv's Hive and a Mom too?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They'll be sick of corrupted earlier

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
count how many clicks it takes considering the weirdly unresponsive buttons

also remembering how disappointed I was first time I bought a card style from the shop thinking it came with the card too. and again when i thought maybe the orb gave it.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 7, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
uhh so is festival compleatly outmatched just a super bad deal and waste of an event? Super expensive with no real prizes at all? What a bizarre event

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I almost did thinking it was a normal freebie event, worthless prizes but riskfree quest completing and some goofing around can be fun with premade decks. Really thought I missed something when each prize was just card styles. dont think i even know how to apply them because ive just never cared.

also lands in the rare slot feels so bad, bad enough you will never get the rares you actually want but a land just feels like lump a coal in my stocking

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
II haven't faced any new cards in standard yet, but I tore out about half of the janky budget selesnya tokens I had, most of the citizen stuff, and replaced it with phyrexian mite stuff and it seems much better than what I had before already. Don't want to spend what few wildcards the bundle got me too early, but did buy a couple extra skrelv hives and mondrak. Haven't drawn Mondrak yet but Skrelv's Hive is fantastic. Also through Myriel Argive, Toran something, and King Darius in there and they've been helpful enough so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
only time ive clicked sad face on "did you have fun this match" was against a blue player who apparently needed to do intense timeout length calculus from the first turn.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Singleton would be the default in all formats if it were up to me. 4 of the same card is weird and boring when you have brajillions of options.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

Phyrexian language basic lands no longer automatically update when moused over, because of how you can look at them and see the mana symbol. Right clicking still lets you see localized text. In case you forgot what a Forest does, I guess.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love those lands, wasn't playing when they were for sale and not paying SL prices for land but very tempted to get some quality proxies of them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Have they ever had a mode like a real draft, where you play only against the people and cards from that specific draft? I'm guessing not since getting people to dedicate 4 hours of time on a f2p scheme is just an absurd ask, but still think some folks would hang for a Saturday Night Magic Draft on Arena.

I'm thinking of it because I have to actively remind myself to not bother drafting cards I just don't wanna risk my opponents having when given a pack with nothing in it for my deck. Might be fun to actually play with the strategic elements of a real paper draft since you have some idea of at least some of the cards in the pool.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Or a kill spell, yes. I played the more sacrificable thing in case they wanted to spend their open mana countering or removing it.

No they never have and it's highly unlikely they ever will for exactly the reasons you said.

Also hatedrafting is rarely worth it anyway even in person AIUI.

I mean there are at least a couple passes each Draft where I'd almost rather not have anything from it if that were allowed, save myself a click deck building later. On a pack I don't want anything from but someone else might, I'd like to at least know I won't have to face that particular threat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

You know you can just drag stuff into your sideboard directly right?

If it's an entirely dead pick, then drafting to block someone else is reasonable in either context (or picking the best card, or the card the benefits your collection best), but if there's a good card for your deck, you're almost always better off picking the crd that's good for your deck, because there's only about a 50:50 chance you even play against the person who gets the good card you're passing, and if you do, there's a low chance they draw it anyway.

I did not! That's actually cool, I'm not a great drafter and by the time it comes to put together deck I'm in the mood to play or do anything else so I sometimes end up with decks with the right colours and such but with bad inclusions I forgot to take out, if I sideboard em asap just keeps em out of the way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got stomped by blue decks with my gruul oil deck. I think I might try a blue black proliferate deck if I get the chance, when all the proliferate and spell stuff goes off it's just gross lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I see these sick decks and get excited and go do my own draft and then end up with some goofy decklike stack of cards on top of getting 6 turns of no land first game. I think this deck might work but I'll need to be mulliganing a lot harder than I usually do because the game keeps trying to teach me to treat my opening hand like it's my only hand.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

I really shouldn't draft control decks I'm so fuckin bad at playing them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I know we complain about the shuffler on a regular basis, but holy poo poo, this is getting kinda ridiculous. I have just stopped using dual lands altogether, and getting better hands as a result.

Like I get that I am doing dumb poo poo like trying to force Abzan in a set where wedge mana support doesn't exist, but what the gently caress, even putting in a SINGLE dual land leaves me, frequently, with hands full of cards that need one color, and a mana base of the other two.

edit: I threw in the one Mirrex I had. In ten games, I did not NOT (double negative) get the Mirrex in either my initial hand or first mull.

After I got 1x all lands, and then 2x all wrong lands in the one draft I had confidence in being a great deck I've decided to put no lands in my decks to make sure it never happens again

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to meet the cackling villain who builds a deck with that as commander lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I play Draft because I like the format, but I am also terrible and need more terrible people to play with

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cool it with the cosmetic festivals already, it's not that clever of a joke

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm looking forward to the rotation even though I'll definitely miss Kamigawa. Most meta decks involve a crapload of rares and mythics from soon-to-rotate sets and I don't wanna craft em and I'm hoping some of my new cards will become relevant post rotation.

I remember reading somewhere that red mono was going to be invalidated this set and instead seems like basically the same red lists with nothing new have the same high winrates.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha just had a fun standard match against a weird deck I don't know or some weird homebrew. Which is great because I'm playing a janky deck of my own. Basically gutted my budget selesnya tokens deck from last meta, threw in some new ONE white token cards I had pulled and some other tokeny stuff to replace citizen synergies.

This guy was playing blue/white so I feared either soldiers or counters. Instead this guy basically had draw cards and planeswalkers, the only 2 creatures I saw were some consider draw creature and terisian mind breaker.

He played 4 depopulated on me, wiping my board every time. Fortunately I had the new white exile spell for both planeswalkers he played and I had an early skrelvs give plus another one out and won with toxic mite and human token damage. Myrial Argive and King Darien are my favourite swaps from the citizen bonus ladies I had before.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Magic is a super disgustingly expensive game and Arena doesn't have any of the cheapo or kitchen formats or methods to make things affordable. Arena is a digital card game which doubles down on all the lovely things about paper magic.

I usually do well in standard or other formats running cheap burn decks or budget versions of meta decks. I use untapped.gg tools to see what meta decks are even close to craftable for me.

What decks are you running and failing with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just running whatever you have sounds like you'll have about exactly the experience you're having. Historic also means chances of facing people with even crazier decks than standard since they might have years more worth of options, but I don't know the meta there I just jam my standard aggro decks there sometimes.

Arena often isn't really a "just for fun" kind of deal, since you need currency to play the fun formats or currency for cards to play other formats, everyone ends up playing to win. I'd suggest looking up what the meta decks are for the formats you're trying to play and start working towards building one of those.

Once you have a working deck to get wins with on the meta, it's a little more enjoyable to try out weird homebrew and eat losses once quests are done.

I can look at my account and see I tried getting into Magic around nicol bolas time, and then there's a couple years ago before I actually got into Magic in general. That first attempt at Arena pushed me away because once I beat the tutorial and 8t was time to try and build decks, I had no clue what to make and when I did I was so far from affording the parts for it.

You ever consider playing on paper? A draft at a local game store on Friday night might be a better way to play some fun cards, see other new cards, and learn new decks and stuff, plus it's actually a fun social way to spend an evening and if you get lucky it might pay for itself. Paper draft is the most reliable way to play fair and balanced games where having deep pockets is a non-factor.