Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

There are a decent number of Wx decks running Thalia and either no non-creature or just a few wandering emperors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

True.

I'm keeping 2 duresses on my deck mostly Because as a newly returned player I'm unfamiliar with most cards in the meta.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Achievement unlocked: I milled someone out with Gix’s second, almost never used ability, after the board stalled out.

BRO is a format that’s way faster than everyone expected but I’ve also seen more incidental mill wins/losses when boards stall and nobody can break through

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Khanstant posted:

Why is Durss considered not great in BO1? There's another card I can't find the name of rn, but it makes opponent discard 2 cards and I think that's my favourite card to play as MonoB aggro. Yeah, they get to choose it but usually feels like if I throw that thing down early and get em to discard half their hand or more I only have to worry about top deck threats and answers which is usually where I wanna be when smashing face.

A few reasons;

1. It's an absolutely terrible topdeck most of the time. Against an opponent with nothing in hand or no spells it's literally useless.

2. Duress is good against decks with key noncreature spells, where their entire strategy hinges around those. Against an aggro deck with lots of creatures or a midrange deck with lots of interchangeable pieces getting a card with Duress doesn't really get you anywhere, since they can just play the rest of their hand or topdeck. You also might just miss against a hand full of creatures.

3. A fundamental issue with any discard spell is that you are paying mana and a card to remove something from your opponent's hand, but unlike a removal spell they haven't spent any mana. So you are always down mana on the exchange when you use Duress or a similar card.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Toozler posted:

Graveyard Trespasser is the best black card

Always fun to watch the opponent pitch a second removal to pay the ward cost.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

quote:

Duress Chat

I have found a new friend in Dreams of Oil and Steel. Forcing an opponent to pitch their [creature/artifact you hate, usually their wincon] and exiling it + 1 other thing from their graveyard is a good value. It especially sasses monoB and reanimators.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Can Ward be doubled up? Kind of an edge case, but if I had Mishra, Tamer of Mak Fawa and Graveyard Trespasser on board, if an opponent wanted to target the Trespasser, would they have to discard and sacrifice, or just one or the other?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Each Ward ability triggers separately, and you'll need to pay for all of them if you want your action to actually resolve.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The new CGB video inspired me to make an all legendary creature deck with 4 Thalia and using Eiganjo as your removal spell and lol it's crazy how good and fun it is

His version is Esper and probably better but 5 colors is fun as heck

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can Ward be doubled up? Kind of an edge case, but if I had Mishra, Tamer of Mak Fawa and Graveyard Trespasser on board, if an opponent wanted to target the Trespasser, would they have to discard and sacrifice, or just one or the other?

Yep, they stack. And on the opposite side of that coin, you don't have to pay ward costs at all if Lier is present on the board.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Why on earth is the MWM event standard Brawl? :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

thespaceinvader posted:

When standard sucks play brawl.

but.... but.... what if Standard Brawl?

edit: Oh, wait, this is all-access standard brawl. I think that makes it less-bad.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 27, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, Duress is occasionally insane, but also occasionally completely useless, so its mostly played in Bo3, when you can just not have it in your deck when its bad.

Its really good against decks with lots of non-creatures, obviously. Also good against decks with important non-creature cards. This could be combo pieces, or it could be removal for YOUR combo pieces. It's good against control decks, they get a LOT easier to play against when you see their hand, and know exactly how many counterspells/removal spells they have at the moment.

But if you're against aggro, and you look at their hand and find a bunch of 1-2 drops and some burn or something, you can pick off card, but it's probably not going to matter much. They'll be down a card, but you're also down a card and you spent mana to just see that you're kinda hosed.

Thoughtsieze is good because it hits ANY non-land, but again, bad against decks that don't get hurt by taking 1 specific card, so even though its good enough to maindeck, in Bo3 you'll side it out against certain decks.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
You're taking a risk. I mean, a Mox is a terrible card to topdeck on turn five, but it's super explosive on turn one. Likewise, Duress sucks on turn five, but a turn one Duress can totally destroy someone's plans.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Brawl is kinda fun, only did it a few times before just mashing whatever my quest stuff was, but this time made a mini commander deck with soldiers n crap. Wonder why this isn't a format on paper? Just too fast/consistent compared to commander?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It is a paper format, it just never took off - there's not a big audience for "casual format where you have to keep updating the deck with cards that have their prices overinflated due to being in Standard", it turns out

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
They released some brawl precons for… Throne of Eldraine?

I used one as the bones of a commander deck.

Just seems kinda redundant when EDH is thriving.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
i mean brawl is just commander but you can't play with more than two because of programme limits anyway isn't it?

Commander is plenty popular AIUI.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It is a paper format, it just never took off - there's not a big audience for "casual format where you have to keep updating the deck with cards that have their prices overinflated due to being in Standard", it turns out

Ohhhh I absolutely did not realize it was standard style, haha, just assumed it was anything-goes singleton with EDH banlist. I would not have asked knowing there's a rotation, I would instead have asked why is there a rotation lol no I wouldn't becau$e I know why

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
original paper brawl was pretty explicitly 'this is commander but with rotation to make it easier to get into for new players' which missed several points entirely as to why people like playing commander. it's still a fine concept though

there's also historic brawl on arena, which is even more like 1v1 commander and doesn't rotate if you wanna poke at that

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Gynovore posted:

You're taking a risk. I mean, a Mox is a terrible card to topdeck on turn five, but it's super explosive on turn one. Likewise, Duress sucks on turn five, but a turn one Duress can totally destroy someone's plans.

The point is that Duress can also be terrible on turn 1

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lone Goat posted:

The point is that Duress can also be terrible on turn 1

Literally the turn 1 Duress is okayish. You get info.

Top deck duress is terrible, I agree.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I would like to thank a turn 1 duress for winning me a game in this midweek when I got matched vs Ivy and pitched their Vesuvan Diplomancy. They scooped immediately.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Duress tends to be bad in bo1 if only because bo1 is mostly decks that duress is specifically bad against, mid range value piles and agro.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

lmao the midweek doesn't have the brawl free mulligan?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Historic Brawl is my favorite format by a country mile

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I tried to create a Grixis Standard Brawl deck using a bunch of vampires and it was pretty bad. My commander was Evelyn, who is decent if wildly expensive for a 2/5 draw 2. My thinking was that Grixis in Standard is good, what if you water it down a bit with bad vampire cards, will it at least be mediocre? No. All of the New Capenna vampires seem so interesting but they’re so bad. At least Corpse Appraiser is good.

Two different opponents played the Commander 2 mana tax hate card.

The vampires never really hit a critical mass or could do anything to slow down aggro due to their high costs, poor stats, and stuff like “can’t block”. I found myself playing Celestus and Fable and then not wanting to loot any cards because my whole deck was bad.

Squeaked out two wins and then had an opponent insta concede.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How to win the standard brawl event effortlessly:

Commander: Katilda, Dawnheart Martyr

24 lands

Deck: absolute fuckload of enchants/spirits.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I tried a Raven Man discard deck for Mid-week Brawl. 3 easy concedes because people just don’t like discarding.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My preferred Standard Brawl decks are Baird and Soul of Windgrace.

Obviously Jodah is the best commander by a million miles though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
For the brawl every, I started with a raven man netdeck. Then I made an urza artifact ramp deck and had fun.

Mostly red Auto Yesterday. Mostly blue control today as ops.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Didn't win the last game. Had to mulligan both times, they first had much more value with sac and unearth strats (Mishra was pretty good there!), almost won regardless but they had the crucial burn to the head, second game they just ran me over because they drew aggressively instead of value-ly. Fine with the 2-1!

Started a Premier then, because I like the variety. Green was ridiculously open. I got two (!) Yotian Dissidents too, but I'm actually not playing them in the final deck. I didn't end up getting that many artifacts, and I think the consistency of a mono-colored deck is worth much more than their potential value of adding, like, two counters. Same argument for the Phalanx Vanguard. I also don't need Disenchant because I got three fight spells.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d269a24972ed42d1a703ad507a3fd087

Obviously I'm gonna win regardless of what I do because I opened motherfucking Titania's Command :v:. Regardless, would anybody build this differently?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
CovertGoBlue has done a video every day all month it seems and most of them are standard deck techs. They're all great if you're looking for inspiration in the current meta. He plays a lot of rogue strategies and makes VERY smart plays, so he's a great watch to up your game. Seriously, he plays some really great lanes and turns losing games around with patience

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d269a24972ed42d1a703ad507a3fd087

Obviously I'm gonna win regardless of what I do because I opened motherfucking Titania's Command :v:. Regardless, would anybody build this differently?

Star and lantern does nothing except cycle 2 and maybe taps for stalwart, you have no artifact or sac or prowess synergy at all.

You do have 4 self mill and fauna shaman so pallbearer is better than normal, and perimeter patrol is an on rate body, I would play both.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Algid posted:

Star and lantern does nothing except cycle 2 and maybe taps for stalwart, you have no artifact or sac or prowess synergy at all.

You do have 4 self mill and fauna shaman so pallbearer is better than normal, and perimeter patrol is an on rate body, I would play both.

Unearth is a major part of this format so no, Lantern does not do "nothing".

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Unearth is a major part of this format so no, Lantern does not do "nothing".

It performs below both creatures overall, and that's taking into account all the synergies I mentioned, when your deck explicitly doesn't have those, it should be even worse.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

precision posted:

CovertGoBlue has done a video every day all month it seems

Aside from a short holiday a year ago, he's put out a video every day for several years at this point

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My opponents in the brawl have been just wall to wall soldier piles. fuckers

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
All access brawl won't let me submit a deck with cards I don't own, lame. The "Submit Deck" button is greyed out for those decks, not sure what I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ultimatefire posted:

All access brawl won't let me submit a deck with cards I don't own, lame. The "Submit Deck" button is greyed out for those decks, not sure what I'm missing.

I think I ran into the same problem, and addressed it by rebuilding the deck from the all-access brawl page, otherwise it defaults to non-all-access brawl rules.