Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ariong posted:

:synpa:

This time I'm really going to try to get into drafitng.

Make sure you get into the discord, we always need more draft sickos to ride to victory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

waloo posted:

So everybody is just trying to forget about Riveteers, Brokers, Maestros, Cabaretti, and Obscura? Were the Streets of New Capenna really so traumatic?

Bang, jund, grixis, etc were the first terms used to deal with the 3 colour shards, so they have stuck. Same with the 10 2 colour guilds (from Ravnica) and the 5 wedges from khans of tarkir.

Much like magic itself, going first has its advantages.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fucker posted:

:gonk:

the classic ajani avi...

That is cool as gently caress, no lie (regular Ajani will return once the timeline is reset, i'm sure).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Boxman posted:

I think it's a mess. Lots of x/black gold cards, and I just don't have any depth in black to support it - only 8 cards total. I have four (!!) rakdos duals, so the answer might be RW with black splash to get access to a couple of the uncommons. I'd love to share the pool, because i'm desperately curious how other people would build this, but 17 lands isn't picking up on it. I assume some sort of opening day glitchiness. I'm going to hold off playing this out, because I expect a pretty poor outcome if I don't get a second set of eyes here.

How many sources do you need to splash for a double color card again? Obviously running my extinguish the light would be great.

EDIT: Here we go. I threw UW and Mardu together. The Mardu deck feels too light on creatures. White seems to be a pretty obvious first color though, with a couple of the o-ring effects. It's possible I should be playing some of the white grizzly bears just to push my curve down. Feels like maybe that's a bit less important in sealed?

EDIT AGAIN: There's no way founding the Third Path is right, right? Probably a bear instead.

Frank Karsten to the Rescue!
https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/how-many-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells-a-2022-update/

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Huxley posted:

I wonder why some spots on the Mastery track are on fire.

Those are the renewal rewards for new standard.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ok you said pack 1

In pack 2 i was still hedging on whether I needed to move out, also a couple of misclicks but yeah i get it

Your self-sabotage is now bleeding into your drafts?

As some one who also dual monitors drafts (or alt tabs a lot) when you make your first click into the game window, make sure its not on a card. I've deffo drafted cards by accident that way. It really likes to interpret that first click as a double click.

So now the protocol is to just click on empty space first, then the card I want to reserve, and then a second click to actually pick the card.

It's worked for me so far.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Onehandclapping posted:

5-3 and 7-2 in my first two drafts of the set. First one was 5 color domain big green stompy, no big bomb rares but lots of multicolor uncommon bodies to throw. I found that a lot of green commons out of reach of the common kill spells at 4+ toughness, but there's a lot of little guys and disruption spells to stall the board. With the relative rarity of trample, it was hard to push through in most my games, but all the domain cards seemed super strong and synergistic so long as the tapped duo lands are prioritized.

Draft two opened with the mythic hydra dragon, which is a haste flying Rx x/x dragon, which is probably one of the mightiest bombs in this set. RW was open after that, and the super synergistic 2 or 3 color low cost legendaries are absolute beasts in this set. I did primary R/W with splashing U/G for kickers and domain, and it felt very easy to go wide and aggressive, since it's the first day of the set and everyone's drafting the durdly slow stuff with bad manabases. It was also easy to stall the board with my flood of guys, there's very few board wipes going around this set and the closest I saw was a single karn's Sylex that didn't do much at all.

Anyway, draft was fun, this is my first set where I feel confident enough to eyeball what's strong in a pack without tools after a year of using MTGA Assistant and checking 17lands constantly. If you're not 1000% confident in drafting I highly recommend doing that, it's way easier to think about synergies and strengths when you can read other peoples thoughts and check card winrates while you're drafting.

Also, I encountered minor bugs during the draft and by god I expect to be fully recompensed for my gold spent wizards :colbert:

What were the bugs? And if you file a ticket for the draft, it is very likely you will be given your gold back for maximum +EV.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Onehandclapping posted:

I'm aware, in both drafts if I dragged a card to my selection pile, the card sometimes vanished. It still picked it, but I couldn't mouse over it or see it in my pile, so I had to by vague memory for some stuff.

That's unfortunate, it looks like that bug has persisted since NEO(?) I think, then it stopped happening in SNC.

I think the way to reproduce it is to have a card "in hand" like you are dragging it to your pile when the timer runs out. The client at that point freaks out and turns the card invisible.

:thunk:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ I think that this format can have some board stalls, and having equipment as a way to punch through is good enough. Getting the trinket text with legendaries is a bonus, and 6 legends seems worth it to me ^ ^ ^

vegetables posted:

This set is making me feel like I’ve gone to a science contest full of Nobel Prize winners and entered a potato clock that doesn’t work; everyone else’s decks do clever synergistic things while mine just flood out and lose. It’s pretty great, but also it is going to bankrupt me

If you want meaningful feedback and assistance, please get a draft tracker like from 17lands.com.

We're all trying to figure out what is working and what isn't, and if you're going to help us find out what isn't working that's valuable too :v:

(I have gone 4-3, and 2-1 bo3, so my results are pretty poo poo too right now.)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Having to respond to callouts just makes it look like I'm dumping more in the thread but w/e, I am definitely trying to keep more pozzy with the new thread so sorry if my post after getting my first 0-3 of the weekend gives you bad vibes or whatever

It's a new release, I want to post about it, it's the weekend and this is the place I'm talking about it, if you want to post about new standard decks or whatever how am I stopping you

It is incredibly doubtful that after all you've demonstrated, you will do anything other than post your drafts with some feelbads and how you managed to make a mistake. It really does bring the thread down when you are by far the most prolific limited poster here and have somewhat disasterous runs.

Your content is much better suited for a discord where all this can be hashed out in real time, and then quickly forgotten as the chat continues to scroll, but you (for whatever reason) disregard every suggestion we provide to you. :shrug:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kashuno posted:

I really need to value the phalanx higher they never seem to wheel for me but I am not picking them highly at all. They seem good in those UW and GW token decks that get a nice benefit out of being to put those both out the same turn or phalanx + other spell same turn.

Format so far seems real good. It looks like right now on 17lands the aggro two color decks have the best win rates but I wonder if that has to do with too many people trying to get cute with splashing and tap lands rather than the big stuff decks not being able to compete. I’ve seen a lot of opponents playing some really questionable splashes just because the format enables it well

I think this is it. It's really easy to get unfocused when "all your cards are white and blue" and then you realize that you have kicker costs in two other colours. I think you really have to draft and remember which kicker cards are good without the kicker and which are really gold cards.

Drafted UW soldiers to a nice 7-0 today, Raff is a disgusting card when he activates.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

i'd like to apologize to anyone i misled by suggesting that you would be drafting a "color pair". after my first draft i haven't drafted anything less than three colors

You want to be in 2 colours with a splash for kicker costs? That's what felt good for me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This one 3-3ed, oh well.

Loss 1 was a clear play error, I could have cast Keldon Strike Team on Turn 22 instead of unkicked chump Archangel (I guess I was probably fixated on gaining life and I wasn't thinking about the kicker text on Keldon strike team, a lot of kicker text is something I easily forget as being part of the card). I don't know if I could have blocked better on turn 19, I knew I was going to get blown out by a trick but I couldn't see any way to play around it.

Loss 2 just seemed like they had a more aggressive start and I had to mull to 6, didn't feel like I could have played better.

Loss 3, maybe I was too timid in attacking? I am always conscious of making bad attacks and holding back until I could just swing for lethal in one turn feels much more straightforward, but maybe there were turns I could have chipped in for damage so that I could have won before their flier pecked me to death.

Just reviewing loss two:
Mulligan decision - you put back a resolute reinforcements instead of Benalish Sleeper. You have three sources of black to get the kicker online, which means 3 draws to get it (if that was the plan), which gives you a 27% chance to draw and hit it on curve. You are also down a card due to the mulligan, which to me, means that you want to keep as many potential two for ones in your hand as possible. Going 1 for 1 is probably a losing proposition because you're down on cards already. You have to leverage whatever resources you have to try and make up that card disadvantage.

segment 48 - you chump block with your 1/1 to prevent 3 damage, going from 17 to 14 instead of 17 to 11. How are you going to retake the board with what is in your hand (prayer of binding and lightning strike) if you make this block? I agree, your opponent had a bonkers deck, but even when it's a blowout, it's always good to re-evaluate your play.

It's impossible to know, but if you have the resolute reinforcements (which would have left a 1/1 if they bolted it) instead of the benalish sleeper + the 1/1 that you threw away in the chump block, that potentially gives you enough to threaten an advantageous block against their 3/2. If they use the gaea's might during their attack, you can lightning strike in response to 2 for 1 them, and maybe make it close.

They had an absolute bonkers deck, and drew three lightning strikes, which is miserable to see. But that doesn't mean you can't evaluate the decisions you made in the game.

I acknowledge that it's easy to see the line after it's all said and done, but

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I do think I probably didn't fully appreciate the value of 2 bodies off a flash spell besides "more creatures to Charge" and "sac fodder." I am guessing my line of thinking was the potential upside of 3 power Enlisting, but: in terms of upside that doesn't really get me anywhere, and I suppose if I'm mulling on the draw and they're at 7 on the play I should expect that I will be on the back foot

I mean, they drew three loving lightning strikes, that's going to be a hard game to come back from. Trying to see where you could have squeezed out incremental advantage is a good skill to develop.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

precision posted:

i take it back, this format sucks. 3-3 with Jeskai Spells and all 6 opponents were on 5 color Domain. :mad:

I think this format rocks, I managed to trophy in silver/gold bo1 with a 4 colour jank pile:
https://www.17lands.com/deck/06e598120b2b4a918c30ec5582acc0bf/1

And I'm currently 23-7 in bo1 and 2-1 in bo3.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

Any advice on this draft pool?

Kind of an embarrassment of UR riches, including 5(!) Lightning Strikes (probably could have passed up the last one, to be honest). Was hoping for another Wx dual land but never got it. Should I bother including the Serra Paragon, or is it the casting cost too onerous for a splash?

Rule of thumb is that double pip isn't splashable.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Game 3 was incredibly close and I'm still not sure if I can find a line where I win. Turn "15" I'm priced into trading every turn and making it a topdeck war, and my opponent just barely edges me out.

The only thing I could possibly see is that you save the first fires of victory that you cast on the nishoba to kick it later. The only other line I can see it at Turn 9 (step 79) where you play out your unkicked battlewing mystic to force more damage through. They play the Wurm, you hit them for 6 down to 3 (Mystic + Kavu), play the terror. They attack with the wurm, you don't block, and then you set up lethal with the the terror, kavu, mystic, and the amplifier, as they can kill the terror and the kavu (with lightning strike), but then die exactly to the two unblocked creatures.

I don't think that's is super obvious, but it was a line you could have taken. There may have been counter-play available to the opponent to shut down that line. But, assume the opponents run out is the same, that's how you would have taken it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hope is that I hit something with 61% to draw in the next two turns and curve out?

Maybe it seems obvious to mull but watching streamers repeatedly land pass turn 1 and 2 unpunished and Jim Davis keeping this exact hand configuration while saying "people mulligan too much" made me think it was more on the bubble lol

Curve out how? You ideally want 2 drop, 3 drop, and the phalanxes. My thought is that if you have to go runner runner for the hand to function, you should probably ship it back. You need more than either a 2 or a 3 drop, you really want both here.

I get that this is a slower set, but you still need to establish a board. With nothing in the starting 7 that gets you there, you are relying a lot upon your draws to bail you out. If you whiff, you're donezo. I think the downside risk is too great, and even taking into consideration this is limited, I'd ship here.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

The problem is that they're in a double bind. Meathook is very clearly OP, but with all the support for wide aggro in the past two sets, having a meta-defining powerful sweeper is the main thing keeping that in check. Getting rid of it before printing a new "sweeper that does a useful thing besides" card risks turning things on their head in favor of token swarms. Which would personally make me happy but I understand why they're reluctant to do it.

I think we might see mono black cut down (heh) to size by banning some of its best lower mana stuff like Tenacious Underdog.

Temporary lockdown gets tokens pretty dang good.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lord Banana posted:

Can you see how many play in points you have? I've trophied three drafts so far in DMU, and had three in SNC, but I can't see how many points I have. Does it only show when you have enough to enter?

They are shown when you hover over the wildcard flower up in the top right of the start screen.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

So guess what I learned today. The discounted mana cost on Vanquish the Horde only applies when it's in your hand. How did I find out exactly? By pulling it with Sorin at exactly 8HP in a game I was very much about to win. :shepface:

Actually the discount only applies when the spell is on the stack. At all times the mv is 8. This is why you can still disdainful stroke it when it is played for WW.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

In my recent run with cruelty, I don't think I lost a game where it got cast.

Its very good. Gyser is dmu's best common, but it's not as good as cruelty of gix.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

This was a very easy draft, blue was so insanely open, I'm still reeling. White is basically a splash in my mono-blue build, with the only other splash being Ertai.

I won the first game rather decisively, facing a Braids that tried to make me choose to not have my lands go away but I just kept happily saccing my excess.

I'm not sure if I should play Impulse over Take up the Shield, both cards I'd be happy to draw late, with the latter ofc less always-useful tho if I don't have at least some board presence. I cut Stenn who isn't really doing much for me, could make a Geyser and/or Espionage cheaper I guess but that's about it. I could see putting Bone Splinters in as a Micromancer target, and the manabase should support it (I'm probably happy holding on to it until I get my black). Not super necessary, I think, but a consideration.

Thoughts?

Your white is very not good, aside from peacekeeper and take up the shield. Your black is much better, and you had access to black during the draft. Looking at your picks:
P1P1 - Stenn is not good, but if you're taking the rare because it's a rare, whatever. This is a pretty poopy pack, so maybe just taking the land is correct here.
P1P2 - You want to take card that goes along with your first pick, and you take Samite Herbalist. I disagree with this pick. Herbalist is a very (very) medium card, it would have been better to take the vinewall or the GU dual land. Again, not a great pack.
P1P5 - Take up the shield over essence scatter? At this point, you've been passed blue's best common (and the best common in set), and seeing another very good blue card in essence scatter means (at least to me) that blue is open (and it was!) taking the good blue card here is probably the pick.
P1P6 - you really want to make UW work despite not seeing good white cards. Tribue, shore up, dual land are all better picks.
P1P7 - At this point you should know that blue is wide open. There is no way a micromancer should be going this late - basically everyone to your right, except for the person to your direct left, has seen this card and passed on it.
P1P8 - Another signal that blue is wide open, the entire table should not have passed on this. To me, what that means is I should start floating blue cards in the draft and looking for a strong secondary colour while I get blue picks on the wheel in pack 2 and 3.

P2P3 - Let's evaluate this pick - so far you've got for white cards:
herbalist
take up the shield
stall for time
Stenn
These cards, save for take up the shield are not good

and for black cards you have
bone splinters
rager
ertai
UB dual land
these cards are not a ton better than your white, but they are better.

Why are you going back to the white well at this point?! You don't even take the card with the higher winrate, mesa caviller. I think soultender is the pick here.
P2P5 - If you are going to take white cards, you pass up a very good in Argivian Cavalier here.
P2P10 - Rager over drake, but you still aren't sure you want to be in black at this point.
P2P11 - Similarly, soultender is decent in UB as you can flip spells in the gy to get your terrors cheaper.

P3P1 - Tribute to Urborg here, but you still want to be in white.
P3P2 - The stats on DJ of the fountain are not good, but it is a big flying beater. I might have taken figment, as they are very playable in the blue spells deck you are trying to make.
P3P3 - I think geyser is the better pick, even if you are going white. You don't have a ton of go wide creatures to leverage this card, and geyser is always going to be great.
P3P6 - Vohar is better than figment
P3P7 - Rager or vivisector over herbalist
P3P8 - that's a very late tatyova, but there is no way that card is making it into your deck at this point. Rager is the pick.
P3P9 - Librarian is actually a very very good card, and it's way better in any deck you are making over joint exploration (which is really a domain card).
P3P10 - Why if you have a bunch of herbalists, why wouldn't you take faithbonder here?

There was a very solid UB deck which you overlooked, and it feels like you got very attached your extra medium p1p1 and let it dictate your draft.

I might try this with what you got:
Deck
1 Haunting Figment (DMU) 53
1 Academy Wall (DMU) 41
2 Soaring Drake (DMU) 66
1 Phyrexian Rager (DMU) 99
2 Micromancer (DMU) 57
1 Talas Lookout (DMU) 68
1 Ertai Resurrected (DMU) 199
1 Frostfist Strider (DMU) 51
1 Djinn of the Fountain (DMU) 47
2 Tolarian Terror (DMU) 72
3 Contaminated Aquifer (DMU) 245
8 Island (DMU) 265
5 Swamp (DMU) 268
2 Shore Up (DMU) 64
2 Timely Interference (DMU) 70
1 Bone Splinters (DMU) 83
2 Impulse (DMU) 55
1 Phyrexian Espionage (DMU) 60
2 Tolarian Geyser (DMU) 71
1 Protect the Negotiators

I would be tempted to run 16 lands with all that card draw and very little in the way of colour requirements for your second colour.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I didn't realize how insanely busto that card is until someone explained it to me. It's basically turnabout + timewalk.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Urcher posted:

Thinking through how it works:

You play it post combat to go back through your turn, ending by drawing and untapping. Then they have a turn where they untap and draw at the end so probably couldn't do much.

That's broken enough already, is there more to it?

Yeah, I thought it was just a wacky card where the turn is reversed! When the dudes from the 540 walked through that, just like you did, wow, that sounds busto.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Alright, good morning from the train!

First of all, thanks a lot for the in-depth analysis :)

That's one reason I went into white, the other was having convenient access to my Geyser kicker.

Individual comments:

P1P5: That's a bit of a personal choice, I really like tricks and I really hate playing Counterspells. I'm trying to get better about the latter, but that's where I'm coming from, evaluation-wise
P1P6: Is stall for time not a great card? I saw it as a clear signal that white/blue is open enough for me to go into it, and I definitely said "well it's obviously much better than Shore Up" out loud in the draft

P1P8: with "floating" you mean "assuming they'll table, take something else with that in mind"? I did do that in Pack 3 when I e.g. didn't take a Figment early

P2P3: this was a curve consideration of Herbalist over Mesa Cavalier, I had a lot of 3-drops already. I'm "going back to the white well" because there's nothing else in the pack, or did I miss a secret bomb?
P2P5: that was a tough choice but I wanted something for the two Micromancers to find

P3P1: I really like the Peacekeeper! Of course, if I had been more black at that point, I'd have slammed the Tribute. I briefly considered it but for me, definitely too late to pivot I think
P3P2: I did consider the Figment, but I wanted to try the Djinn and figured (see above) that the Figment would table
P3P3: I wasn't sure if the third Geyser was going to be good, tbh - I'm not great yet at evaluating which cards are diminishing returns ones and which you want to have as many of as possible. Also, when in doubt, I'll take the Uncommon, which in this case I also want to play in Constructed, so it's a semi-for-the-collection-pick
P3P6: Agonized here a little, but figured it wasn't good enough to have sit in my hand forever while I'm waiting for the splash to manifest, and I wasn't super impressed with it in my first deck
P3P7: I wouldn't want to splash for Rager(s), would you?
P3P8: uncommon draft, again not wanting to play Rager
P3P9: gotta admit, I just glossed over the Librarian. I gotta beat into my head that it's not a) the other Construct that filters mana and b) much better than Chrome Cat was in this format

Regarding your deck: so you're basically arguing that Rager and Bone Splinters are better than Take up the Shield, the 3/3 Vigilance dude, Stall for Time, and the kickers on three cards? Gotta say I'm not keen on that.

So let's start at the start. You are vastly over valuing the kicker on tolarian geyser. All the kicker does is gain you 3 life. The bounce + draw a card is included in the base rate of 2U. While it can be very good to have a life buffer with the kicker, 85-95% of why the card is good is due to the base card. So while you might feel compelled to play white to maximize the card, it's absolutely not necessary to kick that card. Apparently some people think that you need to kick geyser to draw a card, that is absolutely incorrect.

Stall for time - not a good card. Stats put it at 57% wr or 0.2 game improvement (compare to take up the shield - 60% wr or 1.6 game improvement). Seeing that come through the draft doesn't mean very much.

You are correct with respect to the term floating, sorry about that - trying to float a card in draft is that you taking something else and hope the card you at floating will come back to you.

The draft comes to a crossroad at P2P3, and I'm suggesting that you've vastly overrated the white cards (and what the white kicker is worth on geyser). Everything else flows from that, and I totally understand where you are coming from as a result.

Lastly, I'm arguing that Ertai + black is better than your white, aside from the fact that you are short on twos. But the black is more powerful.

I think it's pretty marginal at this point, and it's probably better that you're running the white based solely on the fact that you have two drops with white.

Just something to be mindful of for next draft! You got this.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

as usual, not remotely balanced. the jodah deck even has a lagrella the magpie to boardwipe infinite tokens

The Soknar deck has Kairi, which actually is a boardwipe for tokens.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Urcher posted:

I did another draft and am still bad at choosing cards and would love feedback.

https://www.17lands.com/details/62b8adcc50df46ea93c6581126f88f63

I haven't played it and am unsure about how best to build the deck. This is what I've got so far:

https://sealeddeck.tech/FnR4b4SkbF

Is it worth splashing for Squee? I think it probably is, but I'm hesitant.
Is it worth splashing for Tatyova, Steward of Tides? I've got it in at the moment, but I'm thinking of taking it out because of the general advice against splashing for a double pip
Would the Academy Loremaster work in this deck? It's has terrible stats, but I feel like it would help me more than my opponent because most of my deck is low CMC so I'd be able to draw twice while still casting something most turns. It probably also works reasonably well with Tatyova.
Should I drop white and bring in all the red cards? There's nothing amazing in white though the average quality looks higher than the average red and it makes it easier to cast Squee.

Late in pack 3 it looked like green was very open, but I thought it was too late to pivot. Was I right about that? Was there an earlier point when I could have noticed and pivoted?

Super quickly, this feels pretty train-wrecky as a draft. You got pulled in a lot of directions, and really didn't paid off for any of the directions you took.

I don't think the deck can afford the splash, but on the other hand, you don't have a ton of power when you aren't so maybe you just splash the bombs you took and just acknowledge that you are going to lose games to your mana base. Your red cards suck, except for Squee. It really makes your p1p4 pick of furious bellow somewhat puzzling. The cards you should have taken were lookout, tribute, impulse.

Academy Loremaster is garbage, don't play it. Maybe you should try it out, just to see, but the stats don't support it as a good card.

Yes, green was very open at the end of the draft, but there were a few things you should have clocked on the way to that:
1) p1p10 - gaea's might goes around the entire table, and no one picked it up. That's weird. Might is a pretty good card in most, if not all decks, and it to see it here is something to note. That's all.
2) p2p3 - strength of the coalition means that two people to your left aren't in green (or any sort of go wide deck where they could splash it).
3) p2p4 - mossbeard ancient - a premium uncommon for any green deck, it stabilises the board when it lands. Now you know the 3 people to your left are not in green.
4) p2p5 - rootwalla is going to be taken by any green deck that wants domain (which is most of them), so it's now very weird that you keep seeing green cards. This is a premium 2 drop for the green (domain) deck.
5) p2p7 - weird to see that everyone is passing on sojourner, which is a solid role player in the green domain deck.
6) p2p8 - another gaea's might. Weird.
7) p2p10 - a sojourner on the wheel, also odd.

And then you note pack three was very good for the domain deck (that no one had drafted apparently). On the other hand, none of the dual lands wheeled, save for haunted mire 3p12.

Kind of an odd draft all around.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

It seemed like black was very open at the end of pack one. Why didn't you pivot into UB?

There was a soultender that wheeled p1p11 - that's usually a good sign that no one is interested in black.

At this point you have 1 red card and 1 green card. It's early enough in the draft, seems like seeing two cult conscripts, repossessions at the tail end of pack one means black is open.

Then you open black knight in pack 2, and are feeling like a brain genius for exploring black at the end of pack 1.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

With the new bro spoilers that are coming out, I wonder how the client will handle meld. I really hope the game object is bigger in size and not just the same square (or pw rectangle) as everything else.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

Went 7-1 in sealed with this. Build help thanks to the Wrestlehut discord.

Deck ran smooth as hell. Only loss was from a dude running a couple Negates and have a handful of big chunky creatures that kept on coming. Otherwise, I always had the upper hand.

I wish Sealed stayed for the whole time. Not sure why it's not all the time.

I've heard that wrestlehut has the most attractive and intelligent magic players.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Black was very good. Red was very bad, but you could put together a good mono red/RB artifact aggro deck since nobody else wanted the rest of the pieces. Green had busted uncommons but the commons were all very flat though you could do some dumb recursion loops for value. White's best card, Imperial Oath, was extremely good and you could easily play 4-5, but also extremely splashable and white suffered as a result. Blue was good in the ninjas deck and ok elsewhere. Sagas were great, Shrines were okay. UW Vehicles, RW martial, RG modified all were traps, avoid if possible. There was lots of fixing, and 4-5 colour soup was an option.

UW vehicles was not a trap, you just needed a lot of help at uncommon to fix the holes in the deck (so it's a semi trap?). WR samurai was very much a trap and never really came together as a viable draft strategy.

RG modified was also a trap except for the deck that had multiple invigorating hot springs, and even then it was still not that great. It was probably better to splash the hot springs in some other deck like GW or something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Of all the things to get mad at in magic, domain is definitely a new one.

It would be nice to see a standard constructed worthy domain deck.

Apparently shadow prophecy is very good in modern 5 color, which was not something I had anticipated. I think that's neat.

Also, quit gettin mad at card games.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

if you haven't seen it there's a very very cool Borthers War variant of Rampaging Ferocidon or whatever (3/3 menace for 2R) with a hilarious teeth-kicking rider on it for decks with greedy manabases

Borth? My son's name is Borth.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

What are people's win rates in DMU draft btw? Currently around 58% but only managed like 12 drafts due to moving house, trying to cram some more in now

I had an absolutely brutal go of things this time around.

Game Record: 157 - 119 (56.9%)
Match Record: 86 - 56 (60.6%)
Total Events: 38 (6 Trophies)

Net gems per event: 102.89

Basically, I paid 6k gems for nearly the entire set of rares/mythics. This is the worst set performance that I've had since I started serious drafting in Kaldheim. Most sets I'm in the 500+ net gems per event.

On the other hand, this set had the most events I've ever done, which means that the game play was very good.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

i really feel for u

Well, I mean it's somewhat concerning to have a swing of -15000 gems, performance wise from SNC.

I do my part on the discord to help. :smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Eikre posted:

Platinum rankings seems to exert peculiar gravity on those that attain it. A league for the competent, but unremarkable. For the duelist on a union contract. The People's league.

I think it represents the plateau you reach just by reducing your technical mistakes down to the intractable human baseline, and that getting better from there starts being more a matter of deliberate thought than simple practice. But I wouldn't know.

In hearthstone (a million years ago, before they rebalanced the ladder grind), we called rank 5 "dad legend" (where the goal was to get to legend rank) as you got the majority of ranked rewards similar to platinum in arena.

"dad mythic"? Parental mythic? I do agree is the rank of the people. The People's Rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

That's a real alternative to drafting, as 10k gold is also the cost of a draft.

So you're basically gambling that a draft will get you more than 16 rares+ after factoring in your prize support.

I think weaker drafters will go down this route, making drafts more competitive.

We'll see.