Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Oh man, remember Dungeon cards? Hated those until I was the dude triggering the dungeon delving a bunch of times in the turn. :getin:

Will the Junji Ito Elesh Norn make it to Arena? Theyre gonna get so many gems for that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Guys talk me out of blowing 4k gold on that Junji Ito Elesh Norn, I'm a big fan of his 'Cat Diary'

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

the game keeps trying to teach me to treat my opening hand like it's my only hand.

I never mulligan :getin: (and that's why I'm firmly in silver I guess!)

imagine dungeons posted:

I guess do you plan on running Elesh Norn in any decks?

Thank you for asking! I've been meaning to ask for input on this thing I janked after an afternoon of being solidly beaten by variations of it. I've been trying to prune and refine it to work mostly on the ETB effects, it doesn't work always but it's fun to have someone concede because they don't want to sit through 20 triggers. I guess Elesh could cause stuff like Greeters really go off. I've also been thinking of adding Mondrak. I don't know what I'd cut though, I already feel I don't have enough removal. Anyway here's the thing:

1 Adeline, Resplendent Cathar (MID) 1
2 Forest (SNC) 271
1 Resolute Reinforcements (DMU) 29
2 Recommission (BRO) 22
1 Sanctify (VOW) 33
1 Sunset Revelry (MID) 38
2 Borrowed Time (MID) 6
2 Halo Fountain (SNC) 15
2 Touch the Spirit Realm (NEO) 40
2 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
2 Tamiyo's Safekeeping (NEO) 211
3 Plains (SNC) 262
3 Gala Greeters (SNC) 148
3 Join the Dance (MID) 229
2 Park Heights Pegasus (SNC) 211
2 Queen Allenal of Ruadach (DMU) 210
1 Torens, Fist of the Angels (VOW) 249
2 Darling of the Masses (SNC) 181
1 Sigardian Paladin (VOW) 247
3 Blossoming Sands (NEO) 265
3 Botanical Plaza (SNC) 247
1 Brushland (BRO) 259
2 Radiant Grove (DMU) 253
1 Overgrown Farmland (MID) 265
2 Civil Servant (SNC) 176
1 Sungold Sentinel (MID) 37
1 Myrel, Shield of Argive (BRO) 18
1 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
1 Rigo, Streetwise Mentor (SNC) 215
2 Citizen's Crowbar (SNC) 8
2 Brokers Initiate (SNC) 5
3 Plains (SNC) 263
2 Forest (SNC) 270

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

^^^ same, ZeroVGS' "total. Rat. Works." Deck is a joy to use when I have to complete black quests. Catches people completely unaware in historic more often than not.

Uhh, with all this talk you're going to make me craft a few more Atraxa, aren't you. I built the deck earlier today since I knew I had one copy of it, and I was missing like 20 cards but replaced lands with slow lands, used that dragon from ONE, added more play with fire and that Ronan dude. It is fun as heck, even if so far I've only cast the actual critter once. Hence why I might need to roll with more than one I guess!

Since I'm of a mind to burn wild cards, someone pass a good list for UW soldiers.l, too. And speaking of those colors: Standard people, set me straight, Stall for time is a bad card, right?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Will the weekly win rewards reset when MOM comes out on Tuesday? I'm level 78 in the mastery pass and I don't know if I should blow through the 15 weekly wins to get a couple uncommons or if I should just get enough weekly wins to get to level 80 and then wait until tuesday.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Wait they don't take the gold back or punish us (like they did for the Kunai thing) for this bug? I had to come to the thread to find out why my quest wasn't clearing haha.. but must've tripped it like 3 times now :ohdear:

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVVVVV Nice :getin:

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 18, 2023

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I swear I just ran into this a moment ago

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Ariong posted:

The only purpose of emotes in this game is to enhance enjoyment. If emotes are making your experience of playing the game even 0.001% worse overall, you should absolutely disable them.

The times I've eaten lethal after dropping an Elspeth's mic drop... I only emote the 'GG' from that pack sometimes since, haha

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I got so tilted this last week I made a monoblack deck with only removal and lands. It's only got close to winning (by decking) once so far. Does that count?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Ragavan was a lot of fun in the current festival. Hell yeah I will steal and use your crystal dragon planeswalker yes please

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Variance is one thing, but the dude who just slammed New Elspeth, New Wanderer, and THEN Classic Elspeth® on me sequentially, can shove it.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

OB Nixilis is terrible though. I already faced a guy with at least 3 copies, I used board sweepers to get rid of the first 2 but when the 3rd came down I just conceded. Nixilis+ALl will be one+ anything that deals 1 dmg is an infinite combo, I know if you let someone get to the point where they can cast both Nixilis and All will be one, odds were you were losing anyway but still!

I'm thinking I might do what I did with Djinn decks and -become- part of the problem. Put together Ob Nixilis, All will be one, Etali, couple Atraxas for fun, and a lot of removal, what could go wrong, right?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I get why Borrowed Time is worse than Ossification, but why not seal from existence instead of ossification? It is one more W, but it has ward!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Jabor posted:

That's it, that's the reason.

Also nobody's targeting your enchantments to get their stuff back anyway, Ward doesn't do anything about Invoke Despair.

Citizen's crowbar and that one werewolf you can sacrifice to destroy an artifact or enchantment are plentiful in Silver where I move I guess! Thanks for the explanation

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Olive Branch posted:

Special event for Alchemy Brawl where only LOTR commanders are allowed, and no legendary planeswalkers or creatures outside of that. Of course, Battles from other sets that give you planeswalkers or legendary creatures are fair game. Note: this event gives land art rewards from M21 that were the same land arts during an event for ONE's release. You will NOT get alternate land arts when you win games. I found out the hard way and already submitted a ticket after using 2,500 gold to enter the event.

In any case, if anyone wants to have some soldier fun, this is the deck I went something like 5-2 or 5-3 with. I'm sure it can be improved.

EDIT: Replaced Invasion of New Phyrexia with Faerie Vandal, which rewards drawing two cards.

Thanks for this. I crafted a mono green thing for the event and to clear the stacked dailies I had, which all involved green, and got stomped by multiple Frodos in a row. I mean, I knew I was playing jank, but dang. Then I crafted this (only needed 9 rares and 1 mythic, all of which well worth it) and 4-0 my way to getting all the lands, haha. (the lands are garish but sometimes colorful is fun, and distinct as opposed to something like the LOTR lands currently in the store which also tempt me ugh :psyduck:) It plays extremely smooth, every hand I got was a win, it has many different ways to get there, but the Welcoming Vampire+ Wedding Invitation + Imrahir combo is so easy to pull off and so satisfying. I like how the deck isn't even that dependent on removal. One opponent conceded when they saw the Dawn Of a New Age coming down would have 6 counters, haha. (I had given it flash before :getin: to synergize off Wedding's endstep tokens) Excellent stuff all around.

One question though, what card type would you use when casting Secluded Courtyard? the one time it came up I called 'Soldier' and that seemed fine the last few turns until I stomped OP but I wonder if that's the right call.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

After not playing Magic for 25 years I'm trying to get into this. Been doing dailies with the starter decks and having fun, but where to go from there is totally overwhelming. I tried making a standard brawl deck and just got blown out in 3 turns a bunch of times in a row and gave up. Also the Lord of the Rings stuff is cringe and I don't really want to touch it. Should I just wait a few months until regular cards come back?

If you already used every code a new account can use (links in the OP i think) for packs, you should have a small collection and some wildcards. I found fun and easy to tweak the starter decks, the werewolf one can get really competitive with a few tweaks, (others have posted better lists before me) and with those you can try standard best of 1. Because the card pool is smaller there's less chance of running into a deck that blows you away on turn 3 with a weird combo. Also the system supposedly tries to pair your deck depending on how many rares you have to keep things fair? Not sure about that. If you like limited, from time to time the 'quick draft' is about older sets, 5k gold is not particularly hard to get with dailies and then you can get some more cards of an older set still in standard, but not LOTR related.

I think it's better to keep playing until the next set rolls around in September. That way by then you'll have familiarized yourself with the meta, and will only have to get familiar with the cards of the new set, plus with just dailies you should have enough gold saved to get in drafts and stuff to right away get a bigger collection of the new set, and even if you don't want the LOTR cards, opening the packs will count towards getting uncommon, rare and mythic wildcards that you can stock on to use for anything you need after the release of the new set. Just what I'd do

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 9, 2023

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

as far as I know common wildcards only appear in packs at random instead of the constant supply of uncommons from the upper right-counter in the packs screen, so yeah it's common to have less common WC than uncommon WCs. Whew!

EDIT: I started playing in Kamigawa Neon, Feb '22, and I have 120 common and 197 uncommon WCs so far, but this is from me being extremely conservative and only netdecking once in a blue moon, Your mileage may vary.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I stomped all over everyone with the U/B Chromeseed shark deck posted earlier. I did add the Djinns and Tolarian Terrors because WHY NOT

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I just made gold for the 2nd time since I started back in Kamigawa Neon, so my matchings might be different, but the R/G Werewolves deck someone posted waaay earlier in the thread worked fine... haven't won with it in a while now that I realize, haha.

About sweepers just do what I do, just. keep. laying. critters. down. Eventually they are gonna have to topdeck and then :getin:

EDIT: What a shameful snipe

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Can you make a rat colony deck in brawl? That gets my vote

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

wolfman101 posted:

What were the game designers smoking that there are not one, but 2 exile board wipes in standard. It used to feel like maybe you could have a chance again wipes with some sort of indestructible effect. Now white is just exiling your board every other turn and there is nothing you can do except throwing your creature decks in the trash.

Yeah, if this had been ranked I would have been pretty tilted. I conceded soon after OP somehow got Urza to meld with its stones... Portal to Pyrexia was involved I think? but it happened so fast after the Farewell (or in response to it?) I'm not even sure what happened. I'm sure Opponent felt pretty smug when I conceded since I had used the Elspeth mic drop sticker TWICE because twice I saved my mondrak from the wipes with Tamiyo's blessing. Not so with exile stuff! What is even that deck ahahahah

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Eight-Six posted:

What would be in this mode?

Cockatrice, but actually easy to use and play

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

loling remembering this: if you haven't already seen this art for an existing mtg card, what do you think it would be

It's obviously Invoke Despair

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

I won it at least once with mostly rat colony and swamps. The laziest pauper

This is always the best option. 4x echoing return, whole bunch of rats. :getin:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Is that the one you can pay to sign up for like limited and you gotta win 3 or 7 games or w/e and rewards come based on your record?

I don't have any sort of collection to be able to play the historic or modern formats but I've wondered about trying one of the standard ones.. I do have a meta deck but I'm not an amazing player so I'm not sure if I could expect anything out of it, but it might be fun to try once.. or I might get really really mad after I go 0-3 and out.

You mentioned that you alreay went through the links in the OP, but did you also try all the codes? I started in arena back when NEO was new and with just the codes that give you three packs from the previous expansions got a sizeable collection from the get-go, and you can use those cards in Historic brawl.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

So are rodents gonna be viable in this set?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

^^^^^^^^ I think quick draft is a (relatively) cheap way to get rares and good cards, but you're subject to what set is being offered. Arena recently added 'golden packs' which is a pack of ...5, I think? rares from recent sets, as a way to put people who only buy packs on more even ground with drafters. Sadly you only get 1 if you buy 10 packs of the most recent set. Still, could be a good option for when the next standard set comes out on Tuesday. From what I've read on the thread, if you want to get packs from earlier sets still in standard the ones to get are NEO and Dominaria. Excellent cards in those sets that still see a lot of play, and even if they don't count for golden packs, you're still opening packs and getting progress towards uncommon and rare/mythic wildcards. Check 'Jump in', another good way to cheaply get a lot of good cards, but sadly at the moment I think it just gives you LOTR cards, and I don't know how soon that will change, if at all.

Lone Goat posted:

haha whoops!

In constructed? The 2/1 house mouse looks very good for the small white decks but it is might take a lot too move the deck away from being creature based. Not sure if the two rabbits are constructed worthy, going very wide seems like a bad idea when Sunfall and Farewell exist. The raccoon looks like a fun engine but probably way too slow for constructed and there are lots of other two mana ramp options available. Is an otter a rodent? I forget.

In draft? Rats might be one of the best archetypes and all the previously mentioned critters are great.

Ask again when Bloomburrow comes out, but that's not for another year.

Sounds like it's finally time for me to get serious about drafting! I just wanna make cute critter decks :3

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

wei posted:

I drew 15 cards off Necropotence in one game, bonus sheets are good and fun

Prerelease codes
9A314-FD308-2F5F3-EB304-4F28D
9AC3E-49E41-3AC57-6692B-C60F1

Took the first one, thanks!!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Did I read right like a million posts ago that if you do badly at the start of the ranked season, the rest tends to get easier? I'm taking a beating today, does it still count as 'the start of the season' ?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Starsfan posted:

how does the game decide what card to draft for you? is it just the first card in the pack or whatever?

Maybe it's better at drafting than I am :(

People keep posting that the bots in quickdraft choose according to a set of parameters and if you know them you can 'game' Quickdraft but no one shares what those parameters are! :argh:

EDIT: I'd assume the game decides based on those parameters, from what I've seen when I take too long to decide it's probably weighed heavily by rarity

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Also does anybody have a good deck for the event? Ideally semi budget, by which I mean no alchemy rares and no rares from the most recent set.

e: Also, I had 2 "Sentinel of lost lore" in my sealed pool, and 2 more in the packs I got. Is there a constructed deck where those are playable?

22 Swamp
9 Nazgül

However many Sheoldred, Phyrexian Obliterator, and Orcish Bowmasters you have. Round out with removal to taste. :getin:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

I'm close to going 2-3 with a RB rats deck that I felt had potential, yeah it's not the best feeling. Even those two wins felt unearned with opponent leaving when I felt if they stuck to it they could've ruined me

VVVV I got both in my deck! Only in the first win I was able to play both but yeaah

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 8, 2023

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

After my first attempt gave me radical cards and ratties but then fell short (2-3), I'm not willing to waste a second draft token. That said I don't wanna be too much of a nuisance, so I did all the picking myself, I just need your help with cutting out stuff. White and green seemed pretty open, I only needed to get a couple red cards at the end of the pack. Anyway, this is what I have, help me out goons, you're my only hope to make something decent:

VVVV very fair, I had no idea I could do that, it's some very slick tech! I hope the link works:

https://sealeddeck.tech/eb3LyAaaro

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 11, 2023

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am guessing something like this?
https://sealeddeck.tech/HAEFSlTK2Q

trying to keep most of the creatures green

Yep, this works! Completely clowned on the first (higher ranked!) opponent at least, in between Season of Growth and the Lookout Satyr, I was drawing like crazy. Awesome stuff, thanks!!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Playing ZeroVGS' Minion of the Mighty deck in the no limit event was a lot of fun, made me consider Historic more seriously and not just a place to bring out the Colony Rats+Echoing Return deck whenever I need some black or creature based dailies done.

I thought I could just burn the 4x Wildcards for the Minions and replace the rest with whatever dragons and duals I have, but interestingly in my card pool (gathered since NEO) there are no good alternatives to the pumping up spells, I think. Everything is 2 CMC at least!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am guessing something like this?
https://sealeddeck.tech/HAEFSlTK2Q

trying to keep most of the creatures green

Game two piloting this, and another loss. A very close one though! Opponent was black/white, and kept removing my critters. I got to play Unatural growth, but meanwhile The Ouphe with ward was kicking my rear end, and I would've died a lot sooner had I not thought to use Archon's Glory on Gingerbread Hunter, bargained with the convenient food token it creates. Went to zero, back to 12, always fun when that happens. I stabilized by the sheer fact of OPP being topdecked, but their rat king kept making tokens, they kept plinking, Verdant Outrider could've gotten me the win, but they topdecked Eriette! The single extra damage from the one Aura they had around was what they needed to push me to lethal. Had they not topdecked that, I would've swung for lethal next turn, arrrgh! :argh:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I will be happy to try and help you with some guidance for new players, having just gone through the experience myself :) Arena seems pretty fun to play with as long as you are clear eyed on what level of investment of time and resources you want to put in and what you want to get out of the game.

You are looking at packs, and the ones you are talking about with the gold band and the symbol are the alchemy packs from that expansion. Alchemy is something they created for MTG Arena which is kind of a parallel version of Standard (incorporating some of the same sets of cards, but actually rotating more frequently) and they actually have modified versions of standard cards (purportedly to balance them) as well as digital only cards and expansions.

The alchemy packs contain a mixture of cards that are in standard, the re-balanced versions of cards that had been released previously, and digital only cards.

Yeah they're not decks, they're packs, that's what you get from the various codes. To expand on this, the 'digital-only' cards Alchemy has are digital only because they do wacky things like create cards out of thin air, bring cards not in your deck into the game, and also some cards are allowed to change 'permanently' values like toughness/power. It's not everyone's cup of tea haha.

But yeah open all those packs, even the alchemy ones. In the 'packs' screen, on the upper right you'll see a couple wheels, each time you open a pack you'll add to those and they reward you with Uncommon/Rare/Mythical wildcards, which are the main way to round out stuff you might need for decks, since there's no other way to get loose cards.

EDIT: Also once you've opened all those packs you'll have a nice collection to build jank with, they delayed rotation so a bunch of those cards are still in standard. Once you are tired of the color challenges I suggest going right into Play - > "Jump in!" which is a mode where for 1000 gold (cheap!) you get to choose two halves of a deck, and keep all the cards. They just swapped it so it gives you cards from the current expansion, so that's another great way to add to your collection. I think you even get a few tokens for that mode as a new player! (each token gives you a go at it for free)

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 12, 2023

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Also there are 'mastery pass' calculators that let you know how many days it'll take you to reach a certain level, etc, but in my experience 2 wins a day (and clearing all your daily challenges, the 3 ones on the left) is often more than enough to clear the pass in the time it's active. The sweet spot is apparently 3 wins a day, any more is eeeh, though I do like getting a free card after the 4th win.

About the challenges, you get 3 at the start and then a new one daily, so make sure to at least clear one every day. And also swap one of the 500 gold reward everyday, to try and get one of the 750 gold rewards. You get one swap a day. It's a little min-maxing, but it's also not that much trouble.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Rats in this format definitely takes more brainpower than just 'slam rats down, wash and repeat with Echoing Return' as I'm used to in historic with Rat Colony. That said, it's also a lot more fun when you squeak out a win. my MWM thing just has ONE rat king and one of the R/B dude that gives them deathtouch, thanks matchmaker for putting me with a G/B dude with the triplets right off the bat! The other matches have been more fun and balanced though, I imagine with more rat kings the deck would be even more stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I wanted to search specifically for RG decks, but it's not even played enough there to generate stats lol

So this is what I have to look at to suss out how to beat the bots in Quick Draft? What the hell, I became an english major to not do math! :argh: