Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:secondpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
opened a shivan devastator and jaya in my first draft :feelsgood:

1-0 BR aggro. I got passed a ton of removal. Cut down, tribute to urborg, lightning strike, 2x flowstone, more.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
this formats fuckin weird, I went 1-3, 3-3, 0-3 my first three drafts and they were some combination of UR, BR, or BG and I just fizzled out

the next draft I said gently caress it let's try this domain nonsense and I'm 6-1 with a silly WUBG pile that uses the uncommon simic flyer, 10 defender creatures (2x blight pile) and a wingmantle chaplain. walking bulwark is also great, swinging for 3 on turn 2 is pretty hard to deal with and it enables all the other defenders in the deck. I enjoyed watching people mouse over blight pile when it was dinging for 5

4+ colors may be the way to go??? Scooping lands early to enable seems critical

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 3, 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
gruuuuuul

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Leyline Binding in this xur enchantment deck is extremely funny. flashing away their best permanent on t4 and then counterswinging with a 6/6 deathtouch hexproof lifelinker in response has gotten a lot of tilts

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it is easier for a f2per with no WCs to pass through a queue than a whale WC hoarder to enter the kingdom of Arena

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

Anyone else having lots of crashing issues and hanging at black screen on the mobile app?

More than a few months ago, anyway

Yes, it's been crashing a ton more recently, using s ZFold2

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Gynovore posted:

Anyone else think Invoke Despair is going to be banned after Steuer's win? Up till now I had thought it impossible to play outside monoblack, but this dude jammed it into Grixis, with 22 of 26 lands providing B.

EDIT: Also Fable of the Mirror Dude. That card is showing up in absolutely every deck ever.

No, clearly it was Meathook Massacre that was the problem.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

standard sucks so loving much

]
edit: lol played a loving match against azorius control that took 33 turns and 26 minutes and ended with me dying from empty library while they had 1 card in their library, there wasn't any milling involved, it was just them countering and exiling all my spells while they reshuffled them back in into their deck repeatedly, if there was an experience that was expressly designed to get me to physically harm someone while also giving up on magic forever it was that, i should have just ejected but it felt winnable for like 20 minutes and then it was sunk cost

i legitimately feel like my whole day has been bottled and i want to go back to sleep

It was a recent CGB deck; Brokers colors, designed around Farewells and Devious Cover-Up

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I am so bad at BRO drafting. So, so bad :negative:

I only play on mobile so I can't post the 17lands (I think??), I feel like I've been drafting well but have been getting absolutely rocked by bombs in almost every game. Gah

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

and just as I was saying I couldn't draft BRO, my first trophy with this.

excavation explosion did a ton of work, fall of kroog actually won me more than one game, I got Mishra out twice and he was immediately impactful. Horned Stoneseeker! Taking as many of those as possible in the future. Having a 2/2 with evade AND ramping with powerstones was great. Dropping a steel exemplar on turn 4 wrecked a few plans, especially when backed by an unleash shell

strongbull feels like one of the best cards in limited, it's very flexible with being able to sacrifice so many different artifact sources (powerstones especially) and do non-combat damage.

Dreams of Steel and Oil is also a great card, even if you don't hit an artifact taking out their best creature permanently definitely swung a couple games from my opening hand

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 19, 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I'm kind of surprised by how bad the stats are on 3BR Mishra (50.8% GIH WR)

It seems like it should be pretty powerful in the right deck, I can only assume it's tricking people into playing it in the wrong decks

It's because it requires you to untap to really make use of it, unless your goal was a 4 CMC drain effect assuming your opponent has no instant speed removal before you declare attackers.

I've pulled off the dragon engine meld in one game exactly once and it didn't really affect the game outcome. It's decent if you already have a board presence but definitely feels "win more"

e: oh whoops wrong Mishra. The 3BR version is decent, but like many highcost creatures, doesn't really affect the board enough in a meaningful way once resolved. Ward: Sac permanent on everything is decent but it's not really enough to change the game in most situations and really only nets you +1 card advantage

Someday soon a gross unearth artifact deck will come along and make me eat my words tho

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 29, 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Could see some deck with self-discard Phyrexian Portal -> 3BR Mishra -> unearth Portal, but that just seems like a worse Invoke Justice

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
who were urza and mishras parents

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
big red is back baby

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Conduit of Worlds is uhhhh insanely strong in limited

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

Cut the blue. Blue in a ONE limited is basically an automatic concession

Not true imo; W/U artifacts is very strong if you get multiple Eye of Malcator, Skullbombs and a Mandible Justicar or two. Just took one to a 5-3 finish

Tamiyo's Immobilizer also way overperforms and stacking multiples with some proliferate can lock down your opponent's biggest threats.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I made a Standard 2023 mill deck. it is not good. it is bad. but it is very funny to mill someone with Cut Your Losses and then kill them with Jace in the same turn. :haw:

I'm sure it could be improved so I welcome suggestions!

Deck
2 Font of Progress (ONE) 51
6 Island (UST) 213
3 Jace, the Perfected Mind (ONE) 57
2 Cut Your Losses (SNC) 38
1 Terisian Mindbreaker (BRO) 83
2 Churning Reservoir (ONE) 127
6 Mountain (UST) 215
2 Play with Fire (MID) 154
4 Shivan Reef (DMU) 255
4 Stormcarved Coast (VOW) 265
4 Swiftwater Cliffs (NEO) 277
2 Vadrik, Astral Archmage (MID) 248
3 Volt Charge (ONE) 155
2 Reject Imperfection (ONE) 67
2 Serum Snare (ONE) 68
3 Brotherhood's End (BRO) 128
2 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
2 Founding the Third Path (DMU) 50
1 Negate (STA) 18
1 Scatter Ray (BRO) 61
1 Dissipate (MID) 49
3 Sawblade Scamp (ONE) 147
2 Glistener Seer (ONE) 54

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
question about timing rules: let's say there's a Thalia on board or similar creature that modifies spell costs. If I play an instant that duplicates Thalia in response to an opponent casting a spell, and it resolves, what happens to the spell cast by the opponent? Does the legendary keep rule apply before the spell fizzles?

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 17, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Got it. Thank you for the explanation!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Second MOM trophy already. :yum: only trophied once in all of ONE. Up to Limited Plat for the first time ever I think. Both came using Rakdos Sac aggro builds.

People still sleep on BR, it's crazy. Compleated Huntmasters and Furnace Reins are going like p2p8. I also had two Stoke the Flames, a Volcanic Spite, and a Rankle and Torbran. :stonkhat:

In my trophy game I Furnace Reined my opponent's Bloated Processor, swung in for 5, used the treasure generated from the Processor hit to play my own Processor, then sacrifice my opponent's to incubate 3.

Later they tried to Failed Compleation it and I sac'd two phyrexians on board to keep it alive. It later incubated and traded again for something like a 5-for-2 with Furnace Reins.

Also, Kitesail is an mvp. You can combine it or a Beamtown Beatstick with a Karsus Depthguard (also a very underrated card) for a 5/3 flyer/menace out of nowhere, it'll stick around for it too since its got a big body and makes trades really unprofitable for its CMC. Evasion is really important in this environment, not only to flip battles but to push face damage through.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 23, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I disagree that R is the worst color, also. Its bombs are decent, it has excellent removal, and its creatures get exponentially better with cheap equipment. So far I've felt the worst colors are U and W.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
interesting! maybe I've just been in low tier draft pods and just keep getting fed crazy R stuff

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm tryin' not to tilt at this set and remain calm and draft well but twice now I've gotten bad manners "Oops"es when the opponents get the thing that breaks the stall.

Not a great feeling, especially since I'm not sure where it's coming from. I feel like this is the first time I've ever gotten the snarky-oops.

e: Also it's amazing what people top deck. Time to take a Magic breather.

This set in limited is wildly swingy and often turns on who hits their bomb first. Many times off a topdeck. When you're on the receiving end that kind of play regularly it can be very tilting

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I took the p1p1 signal of djeru and hazoret and rode it into my third trophy with a disgusting r/w equipment/Valduk/Backup deck with 3x Hangar Scrounger, 2x Mirror-Shield Hoplite and 2x Enduring Bondwarden. Also had the legendary Smith that gives equipped creatures double strike when attacking, and the white legendary that draws a card when you play and equipment, aura, or vehicle.

I also got passed a Kor Halberd, Beamtown Beatstick and the Convoke Greatsword.

It got very ugly for my opponents after t1

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:rip:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
correct. I was on the play and figured I'd draw into a swamp in my first three.

I didnt

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it wasn't 3 mountain, 4 black, it was 3 mountain, Squee, 3 black. I just ended up drawing no land, a Valduk, and 3 more black cards in the ensuing next 4 draws

I acknowledge it was a greedy keep at best, but I was on the play, was on an even split of r/b and figured with a low curve all I needed was a single swamp, just didn't hit. Thems the breaks

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Print it into standard imo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Wake up, babe. New Generous Gift just dropped.

this feels crazy pushed what the gently caress

also instant speed

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
hmm, I never played new phyrexia so I missed that iteration. Idk, not used to seeing white have strong-rear end instant speed removal like that with an extremely minor downside, a 1/1 seems a lot easier to deal with than a 3/3

I'm also a little salty about it existing alongside poo poo like Soul Partition and stuff like Lay Down Arms i guess :mad:

e: and White Sun's Twilight, and Sunfall...

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

It's dogshit

can you elaborate?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
trophied with this hilarious u/w deck. it absolutely shouldn't work but it did and had some of the better games i've played in limited

I only had ... 3? tap sources in the deck, but tapping even 1 creature with Hylda or Sharae on the board was basically a gg, 2x if Solitary Sanctuary was on the board. I had almost no removal except for the bounce and cursed roles (Moment of Valor, Glass Casket) but it didn't matter because of the turbovalue from Gadwick, Johann's Stopgap and Sharae and Hylda. Great stuff

e: board state in g7 for example

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 8, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
That applies to much of the Throne of Eldraine set tbh. And Theros. Uro and Oko plus Growth Spiral and Veil of Summer was truly ludicrous lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Client update is up.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Flickering Clay-Fired Bricks with Abeulo is gross. Super hyper mega value.

On a related note, is there a way to watch a game replay on mobile? I just had an insane limted premier draft game as UW vs UB. Opponent had a bunch of Skullcap Snails, Dreadful Bargain etc to sac a bunch, and then a Bringer of Dead to reanimated them all, then used the blue clone spell to make two copies with flashback(!). I thought I was hosed until I got a Dusk Reliquary Rose onto the battlefield and alternated flickering that and the Clay Fired Bricks. I stabilized at 5 life and chipped them down with Abuelo for the win, ending at 5 life.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I ran into an on play Boros deck that curved into Anim Pakal. absolutely absurd in limited

UR has also been very strong in my experience, UG probably the weakest.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Just milled someone to death discarding a Frilled Cave Wurm and a Maurauding Brinefang to The Ancient One :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

I have a hard time dealing with bad beats. I just navigated to a board stall in a BW mirror where I had consuming sepulcher. They were at 1 when they top decked Bringer of the Last Gift, and sacrificed their entire board to Bartolome, resurrecting 3 flyers including ONE of the plainscyclers to put them at 4.

I realize those are the sorts of plays you live for on the other side but I'm tilted out of my mind right now.

Just venting. I'll be better soon, haha.

I had a similar experience to you with Bringer of the Last gift and 3x Skullcap Snails (:whitewater: ), graveyard exile effects (to remove my own creatures), several other ETB vamps and an Alcazotz I managed to mercifully exile. The board wipe + recursion is insane. IMO one of the biggest bombs in the format so far if you build around it.

I only survived by flickering the Rose, Tinker's Totes and Clay-Fired Bricks with Abuelo and managing to chip away slowly.