Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mat Cauthon posted:

I dunno, the green */3 two drop with Domain seems solid and all the typed duals it's not hard to get a little bit of value.

Not my favorite mechanic but seems fine overall.

panderfringe only posts in this thread about how terrible every card is these days, don't put much stock in their evaluations (especially this early in the set)

I went 7-2 with a sealed deck I built around domain and it felt pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the defender deck can definitely be real in limited if you get the one that makes birds, yeah. I wanna draft it at least once before people clue in

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

reignonyourparade posted:

Honestly at least in limited Shittier Green Gifts Ungiven seems to be less bad than people were saying. "Get the third and fourth best creature in your deck" is perfectly fine and if you get lucky they might misjudge your position.

the thing with a card being a worse version of gifts ungiven is that gifts ungiven is a very very good card

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
frankly you're in the double digits in terms of number of people who've recommended charlie take a break in some form or play with an audience to help them improve, and at this point it's clear that they have no interest in taking that advice from anyone. it'd be nice if that wasn't the case, but adding to that pile really is wasted effort

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s part/most of the reason I wish you’d just make a Limited thread, about half the thread is just Charlie Foxtrot’s adventures in getting mad at Limited. I’d rather a slower moving thread that focused on Arena, Arena formats, the new cards, decklists etc than a thread that is just 50%+ one poster going “I know everyone says this card is bad, so I drafted 9 of them and lost. I hate magic”

they're still fine posts, bust rodd, and even if it's somewhat frustrating to want to see charlie take advice it's still content that's worth being in this thread

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there should probably be a dedicated spellslingers thread if people are actually playing it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fridge corn posted:

Draft 2: What am I Even Doing Lol?

show the rest of your pool

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this a keep or mull? (I am on the draw and 39% to draw land)

you have absolutely nothing in your hand to take game actions for the first four or five turns of the game, what do you think

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hope is that I hit something with 61% to draw in the next two turns and curve out?

Maybe it seems obvious to mull but watching streamers repeatedly land pass turn 1 and 2 unpunished and Jim Davis keeping this exact hand configuration while saying "people mulligan too much" made me think it was more on the bubble lol

i wouldn't keep a hand with zero plays in the early game or, like the one you posted, no plays in the midgame, especially now that mulligans have the 'draw 7, put x on the bottom of your deck' rule. you don't want to overmulligan, sure, but you should think about how many mull to 6s would be an improvement over that opening hand

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it'd definitely make you mull more often than you can get away with, but the advice i started following when i was getting used to mulling was:

- how many cards in my deck do i need to draw into to make this hand playable, both in general (such as an early creature or two) and in specific (i need a land that taps for black, which i have X of in my deck)
- how quickly does this hand get me on board in terms of when my deck in general wants to play (i.e. no early creatures is fine if i'm going to wipe the board at some point anyway)

that hand in question needs multiple early drops to play the phalanx before turn 6, and i'd assume that since you're running the phalanxes your deck wants to get on board early with the phalanxes as your top end

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there isn't a 'non-chaplain defender strategy.' maybe if you get the black one that makes the opponent lose life or the blue one that mills you can win off of having enough walls, but i wouldn't even try to get in the strategy unless you get chaplain or one of those two extremely early b/c otherwise whoever else decides they want to be in defenders will suck up all the ones you want to have

also any defiler is worth having in limited

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Eej posted:

I just lost to a pile of walls and two blight piles cranking it every turn to dome me for 4 each time, feels bad

*I had them down to 4 too before they got All The Walls and removal

yeah, sorry, i meant that as in 'if you get those cards early instead of the bird wall, give it a shot.' both the blight pile and the mill wall can win games; they just don't do it as easy as the bird wall does for free + aren't as hard of a push to the archetype because of it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shrecknet posted:

oh God Sonios new Izzet brew is

a) adorable

and

2) pretty much proof that Fable kinda has to go

was this posted in here somewhere, and if not do you have the list

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
true randomness will have 'clumping,' runs of the same or similar results. humans are pattern seeking and will see those runs and go 'aha, there is meaning in this' except that no it's just as likely as a set of results that are even and unclumped

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Standingstoic posted:

I'm interested in other's opinions on this, because I think it's pretty obvious paper/Arena is going in a weird split direction at this point with the power level of some of the alchemy cards.

There's at least 5 cards in there that are 100% playables (For the sake of discussion, I have specifically molten impact in mind), so do those cards just have no chance to ever make it to paper? If that's the case, hasn't the ship already sailed on ever having the true-to-paper experience for arena formats using alchemy?

As a guy who pivoted from paper to digital strictly because it's cheaper to maintain a collection and play this way as I've gotten older, I have grown to really like alchemy, but disagree with making it legal in any of the older formats in arena (as they were established formats meant to EVENTUALLY mirror paper, was my understanding.)

I played a bunch of ladder alchemy last month because I so enjoyed the mono-R list with Ambergris. I see alchemy as a way for them to shunt some of the "future league" testing they do in-house off on the players. I think that a non-zero number of these alchemy cards will see print eventually, or has that been explicitly said as something that won't happen?

Alchemy, y'all.

there are some cards that are digital only because they were in the arena starter decks when the game first came out, but past those all the alchemy cards do things that you can't actually print in paper for various reasons (mostly memory issues or trust issues).

you will not ever see alchemy outside the explicitly digital only formats on arena (alchemy and historic, and derivatives like historic brawl). the true to paper formats like standard and explorer are on arena to be alternatives to those.

I'm fine with alchemy and think it's in a rough spot because it works nice as an alternative to standard when standard sucks, but standard hasn't sucked since alchemy first landed. alchemy cards barely affect historic IMO and the format still feels good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have a good list for the sleeper agent event? some of the stained glass arts are real good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hauki posted:

Which stained glass are they anyway? It's incredible you still can't see what cards you're getting in-client.

the thing in game opens up the browser that goes to the relevant article iirc

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/earn-stained-glass-card-styles-sleeper-agents-event

quote:

The following showcase card styles can be earned in this event. Each is equally likely, and you will always receive styles you don't own yet until you collect them all:

Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
Vohar, Vodalian Desecrator
Rona, Sheoldred’s Faithful
Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim
Raff, Weatherlight Stalwart
Balmor, Battlemage Captain
Squee, Dubious Monarch
Shanna, Purifying Blade
Zur, Eternal Schemer
Ertai Resurrected
Jodah, the Unifier
Radha, Coalition Warlord
Stenn, Paranoid Partisan
Aron, Benalia’s Ruin
Baird, Argivian Recruiter

i really want squee at least

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I scrubbed out of a few runs but I still got the full set with under 5k net loss (including getting my quests done)

would've gone better if I hadn't grabbed a deck off of arena zone without vetting it again. still don't know who the gently caress builds decks over there because they're always worse than what I can brew myself

my suggestion for the event is a lot of red haste 1 drops and cheap burn

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

little munchkin posted:

I always feel like people are reading a different card when they want to play bone splinters. Its awful unless you have "free" sources of creatures. Trading two of your cards for one of your opponents is not a winning game plan.

black often plays cards that either make creature tokens, creatures that give benefits when they die, or cards that want creatures in your graveyard (or a combination of the three)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zero VGS posted:

Raven Man is fun but they shouldn't have even put Jodah in the event because it's more OP 5C bullshit.

it's domain and I absolutely farmed it with the gw tokens deck

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

odiv posted:

When I get too annoyed at discard I just play my Tamiyo, Collector of Tales historic brawl deck.

I played a really tight game against tamiyo as a liliana of the veil discard deck the other day because I wanted to see if I could get there with such an uphill battle

I did end up winning, because as it turns out if you have tergrid's artifact side out they can't do anything but lose life to its activated ability

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah it's not going to break formats but it's still a fun idea for a card. i'm gonna try it in a version of the emry paradox engine historic brawl deck i brew and rebuild every other set or so

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wotc decided to mess around with how you can do mechanics you can't do in paper since arena is a digital client and one of the ways people play magic the most nowadays especially with the pandemic happening. these digital-only cards are playable in the two digital-only formats on arena -- alchemy and historic -- and derivatives thereof like historic brawl, or some of the events they run. people are Very Mixed about these cards existing at all, but ymmv

the main formats supported on arena are now standard (exactly the same as standard in paper, rotating at the same time), alchemy (standard plus some of the digital-only cards), historic (all cards on arena including digital-only and those rotated out of standard), and explorer.

explorer is a stopgap format they added to arena when people started getting frustrated at the lack of a true-to-paper extended format on arena, as they added the alchemy cards to historic alongside the previous digital-only cards from the starter decks already in the format. it's essentially 'all the cards that are legal in pioneer that are on arena,' with pioneer being a format introduced right before the pandemic including all the standard sets from return to ravnica forward. they made this stopgap format because adding all the pioneer cards to arena would ostensibly take forever (there's currently over three thousand cards legal in pioneer that aren't on arena) + making it a separate format lets them have a separate banlist as it slowly approaches parity with pioneer

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Panderfringe posted:

It should be noted that Explorer isn't exactly supported. There was one extremely mediocre Explorer supplement and that's it. There's no premier events, no official tournaments, nothing. It's also there least played constructed format, DOA, and I expect wotc to patch it out of arena within a year.

it shouldn't be noted because that's both not true and a wild overreaction, lol

like, explorer is explicitly a temporary format since it will eventually be replaced with pioneer proper once the formats are at parity (i.e. when wotc churns through most of the three thousand cards that are missing from arena that are pioneer legal). they have zero reason to remove the format until that happens, and as just announced arena's going to continue both to backfill sets with SoI remastered & add targeted drops of cards in anthologies to continue working towards that goal

also you're not seeing paper tournaments and events for explorer because paper has pioneer. simple as

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

For digital-only mtg players, I would like to share with you some lols from the paper side of things

on the other hand you could've kept the poo poo that doesn't matter to arena players in the thread for paper magic so this thread doesn't devolve into all that too

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A Moose posted:

So, the first explorer anthology had a few cards for the top tier deck, and a couple of strong tier 2 decks (kalitas, mausoleum wanderer, supreme verdict, elvish mystic Hangarback Walker (this might be good when we get Nykthos),
some janky budget decks that used to be good (Ensoul Artifact, Darksteel Citadel, battlewise hoplite, favored hoplite, titan's strength)
a rock deck that isn't very good but everyone wants to play it (Siege Rhino, Tireless Tracker)
some brawl cards (Alesha, shadowborn apostle)
some sideboard cards to shut people up who complain about certain decks (slaughter games, tainted remedy)
and some cards that might be good, or someone might be able to do something with them if we get some other cards (back to nature, temur battle rage, Rally the Ancestors)

so pretty much every card in the anthology does something. whether or not it does something GOOD is debatable, but they have a reason for being there. Given that, I wonder what we're going to see out of the next anthology?

I'm guessing Nykthos, Thing in the Ice, and maybe swiftspear or dig through time for good constructed playables

probably hidden strings and thespian's stage for the janky budget deck. (We're getting Pore over Pages in shadows of innistrad remastered (probably))

i'm expecting some stuff that plays into the whole phyrexian/brother's war arc thematically to tie into the main set, some stuff targeted towards bringing down the greasefang and lifegain decks in power level, and some stuff that ostensibly are for explorer but also gets targeted towards bringing down how good izzet wizards is in historic.

i like the cards you're suggesting; i wouldn't be surprised to see abrupt decay. most of the cards i'd particularly like seeing are likely to be in SoI remastered, yeah

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MikeCrotch posted:

Is Aether Vial in historic?

no and i doubt we'll see it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Rip symmetry sages buff...

izzet wizards has been one of the best decks in historic and runs a playset of it, it's deserved

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
actually yes, they're only reverting the mentioned cards and aren't reverting any of the other ones that rotated out; charlie's wrong

it's divide by zero, esika's chariot, faceless haven, goldspan dragon, and luminarch aspirant

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was just inferring from the post before me, I'm not going to make the effort to look up alchemy poo poo lol

I mean you cared enough to post about it v:v:v

I'm glad to see them revert those cards (and happy that alrund is staying bopped); the historic brawl decks I've been poking at over the last few weeks are going to enjoy getting haven/chariot/aspirant back

I really want to build a tokens deck with the new queen from dom u but I'm struggling with making the deck resilient, any good suggestions for cards I might be whiffing on that could help shore things up?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Judgy Fucker posted:

Unnerfing cards for historic is very good and I am excited to jam some historic humans tonight.

the patch happens tomorrow i think, with the release of the dom u alchemy cards

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
extremely tempted by these cosmetics

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tergrid as a commander doesn't really work in hbrawl because 5 mana is pretty expensive for a creature you want to stick onto the board and stay there while you cast other things

i recommend tinybones if you want to do a discard hbrawl deck, and korvold is still the king for sacrifice decks

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i try to get at least some theme other than good_stuff.dec but i still think i'd pick new sheoldred over jadar if i was doing mono-b

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Calibanibal posted:

well, did not know dmu premier draft was ending today, goodbye to my 3-1 run with a sheoldred and 2 ratadrabik. Died so young

->

BioThermo posted:

Yes, and I got booted out of a 2-0 draft for it.

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1578106650497798145

Most likely they'll do a blanket compensation for people who had active events open before the patch.

file a ticket, but condolences anyway

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I changed them to the full art lands when i remembered to do so, i wish you could set defaults

Hmm... Alchemy draft is up. I remember this being a disaster with SNC Alchemy but I guess I'll give this a shot for fun lol, haven't paid attention to any of the alchemy cards except that power nine bird

I thought people liked the SNC alchemy draft better than SNC itself, though that's not saying much

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can swap decks during the event so the people you're facing now are the ones just trying to grind out daily wins

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

VictualSquid posted:

Those gamer avatars are kinda funny.
Though Mythos the Mythic fan is kinda strange. I found the small print implying that she is a lore fan.
But I can't unsee Mythos with her deck full of mythic rares as the whale gamer archetype. The kind of magic player that does buy mythic wildcard bundles, or 1000$ proxies.

Also there is a customer survey advertised in the advertisings. You can tell wizards if you want them to focus on bringing 4-player games, modern format or deck sharing or deck rental to arena.

her name is vorthos and you don't have to have a deck full of mythic rares to make a deck that centers around a given character?

edit: do you not know what 'myth' means outside the context of 'mythic rare'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
imo if you draft you should at least attempt to play your games out instead of immediately retiring the deck; the only way to get better at drafting is to do it and most people's issue instead is getting the currency together to draft regularly to start improving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I also recommend drafting because it's fun regardless of whatever optimization strategies you're doing

or I guess intending to do