Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Got back into Magic after a 10-year pause and I was pretty much just playing Pauper on MTGO before then.

Finished the beginner quests, used all the free promo codes, finished a few daily quests and am now sitting on 10k gold. I also used some of the wildcards I got from opening all the packs I got from the promo codes to craft a budget Dimir poison control deck with no rares and 2 mythics which has been doing well in Standard Play so far.

I'm thinking of building up my collection of good Standard commons to open up my budget deckbuilding options. Should I be doing drafts or opening packs? What expansions/sets should I be focusing on when I buy/draft when it comes to the number of good Standard commons? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I didn't do much drafting on Magic (paper or MTGO) but I was pretty much exclusively an Arena-only player when I played Hearthstone so I think I have the general idea down.

Gonna wait for the new set to drop and start doing Premier drafts then. Thanks for the advice!

I blame the monthly mod announcement post and the PYF MTG card thread for getting me back into this poo poo lol.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're looking to build a collection quickly, you can also do the Jump-In! event, which gets you a bunch of cards from two preconstructed deck halves that you combine to make a deck and play other people with the same restriction, and it's very cheap and you keep all the cards.

There should be a jump-in event for the new set on Tuesday right? Kinda leery about doing the Middle-Earth jump-in event since it's not Standard-Legal, and that's the only jump-in event currently available.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

First Magic draft in more than a decade.

Tried to force U/B Faeries and realized only during play how loving garbage Stingblade Assassin actually was if you don't have a lot of expendable tokens to deal damage to attackers.

Should have drafted U/B Rat bargain instead with the cards I saw. All three of my wins came off the back of rat generators, U/B bargain cards and Twisted Sewer-Witch.

Still, had fun trying new poo poo out in my first week back playing MTG.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Second Arena draft after having gone more than a decade since I last played Magic. Any major gaffes?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hopeful Vigils in pack 2 over those picks, I think?

Pack 2 Pick 4 you're probably right. Pack 2 Pick 1 I figured I was heavy white anyway and wanted the big evasive body.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Slumbering Keepguard seems more powerful than Garruk's Uprising by pack 3, Hamlet Glutton would be better than Up the Beanstalk too. If you were angling to get to 4 and 5 then Rootrider Faun at P3P4 over the Intangible Virtue which had exactly 0.5 hits when you picked it?

Yeah I kinda drafted for upside with the Uprising hoping to get a few more fatties in this round - ended up busting especially with the incorrect pick after.

I think my lesson learned in this draft is that I need to be more focused on filling areas of improvement in Pack 3.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: oh I definitely would not splash for stab wound

Can I manually add a couple of swamps to the deck? I do want access to black mana for Shrouded Shepherd.

E: disregard the previous question. Adding then removing the Stab Wound allowed me to keep the three swamps in the deck.

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 9, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh lol I forgot about the adventure... I think that might be worth the splash then (at least i have gotten completely destroyed by it once lol). I guess then maybe 2 swamps and the Prophetic prism?

Yeah ended up swapping Prism for Up the Beanstalk and adding two swamps along with 9 plains and 6 forests. Realistically, I'm drawing the same number cards if I play the latter anyway.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I don't bomb out lol.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I really don't think this Quick Draft 8-creature Rakdos Control deck should have gone 7-1, but early removal to stall then wait to draw your bombs works I guess.

Rat Out was easily the MVP of this run as removing their first/second turn x/1 while creating a target for my Role cards was often an unrecoverable tempo swing.

The last game was tense, and I won off of consecutive topdecks of a bargained High Fae Negotiator and Twisted Fealty for exactly lethal a turn before I would have died to an unblockable Gingerbrute.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There was that one time where they banned a card in standard unless you were playing exactly the precon deck they were using the card as a selling point for lol

Wasn't that Skullclamp? Jesus, that year of standard was pretty dire.

I recall that year's Worlds being RAffinity, Ironworks, or G/x artifact hate decks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

First Sealed I've done in literally years, and my first build is pretty much straight-up Gruul.

https://www.17lands.com/pool/520e5e9f8bc349c98ce749759a07d95d

Is there a worthwhile third color I should be splashing in?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I went Abzan on this pool. The BW dual land is very good, and Specter of Mortality can win games by itself. The white isn't incredibly deep, but Werefox Bodyguard and Syr Armont are solid. Between Inn, dual land, brave the wilds, and a faun I feel okay with white being a lower color. Could mostly cut the white but I really want to play that dual, the drain 2 is incredible in a long game. The red has a couple good cards, but not enough to sway me away from my powerful rares when there are lots of good cards in GB food.

https://sealeddeck.tech/hsy2qmF7b3

Thanks for the advice. Seems like I could add in two more cards since the Fortress and Inn would be part of the 17 lands. What would you suggest I add in?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

Thanks for the advice. Seems like I could add in two more cards since the Fortress and Inn would be part of the 17 lands. What would you suggest I add in?

gently caress me, I should have gone Gruul like I originally planned. Went 1-3 with BGw and my manabase was fighting me the whole time. Even the one win was just barely eked out due to Gingerbrute shenanigans.

Lesson learned: Value consistency over getting greedy for bombs you might never even get to loving play.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'd assumed this BRO Quick Draft Rakdos build would be too slow and get run over, but the format was slower than I thought.

Turn 3 Gix's Caress into Turn 4 Assembly-Worker shenanigans pretty much won me all my games in this run. And it was a free run too, thanks to a 750 gem refund after a server issue cost me the first game I played with this deck.

anakha fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 29, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I dunno if I have enough sources of card draw to keep fueling the Gurgling Anointers and Evangels in this deck. Should I drop something to squeeze in Flow of Knowledge?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Finished the Dark Tutelage event in 30 minutes or so with White Weenie:

quote:

4 Yotian Frontliner
2 Benalish Knight-Counselor
4 Plated Onslaught
4 Skrelv, Defector Mite
4 Swooping Lookout
4 Knight-Errant of Eos
4 Halo Hopper
4 Cheeky House-Mouse
4 Hopeful Vigil
2 Shrouded Shepherd
4 Gingerbrute
2 Syr Ginger, the Meal Ender
18 Plains
Only loss was to a LOTR infinite mill deck that combo'd off the turn after I got them down to 2 life.

Never even needed to use the Knight-Errant despite drawing it in half of the games. The extra card draw plus Plated Onslaught was more than enough.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just lost a BRO quickdraft match to a deck that grinded me under the weight of Thran Vigil + Transmogrant Altar + Clay Revenant.

Couldn't be mad about the loss - I love discovering fun poo poo like that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With 4 Treasure-Generating cards maindeck for white mana, I'm not being too greedy by swapping out a mountain and Tanglespan Lookout for a plains and Imodane's Recruiter right?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Last loving loss of this run due to not finding a single goddamn loving mountain out the 8 in my deck until Turn loving 8 when I've got nothing left on the board and facing lethal.

So loving tilted.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

omg hex is the bestest boy

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Both MWM phantom sealed events were fun since it was my first time playing with either set.

The VOW Sealed event netted me a UG deck that was basically 'stall until I could drop Hullbreaker Horror EOD with countermagic backup next turn', while the MID Sealed event resulted in a BR Vampires/Zombies deck that was completely busted due to multiples of Vampire Socialite, Siege Zombie and Silver Bolt.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

hosed around and drafted RG Dinos as well. P1P1 Paleontologist plus P1P2 Itzquinth was all the signal I needed.

4-1 so far and even got the perfect curve out in Game 2 with a Turn 3 6/5 Pathfinding Axejaw plus removal for their creature on the play with Itzquinth for removal available next turn.

After 5 games, I completely agree with Simply Simon on the tension between Paleontologist and Lattice, and I think I might swap one of my Lattices out for Malamet Veteran or Panicked Altisaur if I end up having both in play too many times. Between the two, I would rather use Paleontologist but it is easier to remove and Lattice is a fine backup in those scenarios. Having that extra Lattice to throw to Idol of the Deep King makes me wanna keep it maindeck though.

E: 17 lands seems like the right call for this deck even if the goal is to ideally ramp into early dino beef because I do wanna have an extra land in hand later on for Lattice.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 15, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

One thing I do if I feel like I'm on a bad run in draft is just switch to playing a bit of constructed. It takes the pressure off because its much less punishing to lose a couple of games in Ladder than it is to bomb a draft and lose 1,500 gems.

This.

Built the Plated White Weenie linked earlier and if my Limited run isn't working out I'm not too stressed about making the daily 4 wins because I know I can just jump on Standard Ranked and zergrush for those wins.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

2 ongoing LCI draft runs where I'd like some advice:

1. I stumbled into a deck that has a pretty low curve and three Etali's favor. I felt safe going down to 16 lands given the curve, but I'm also thinking of adding the second Altisaur because I feel the deck needs a away to push through damage later in the game once the board stalls out. Is a second Altisaur the right move, and if so, what do I drop for it?

2. A quickdraft got me this BW deck that won its first game via giant Adaptive Gemguard because I had so many cheap artifacts out when it came down that it was already 5/5 at the end of the turn it was summoned. I went with 16 lands as well given the curve, but should I drop something like a Hammer for a land given the craft costs in my deck and the fact I ended the first game after 12 turns at 4 land?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

got some chores tonight posted:

Oh and Discover and Explore are such tilting mechanics too when you're on an even-ish board and your opponent does something like Etali's Favor -> Etali's Favor -> 3/2 treasure pirate and then you go like Etali's Favor -> Sunfire Torch. SO TILTING

I ended my last LCI quickdraft run on a game where I attacked with a 3/4 Itzquinth that also had a Sunfire Torch equipped into my opponent who had just a tapped Primordial Gnawer on his side.

I sac the Torch, kill his Gnawer, and of course the Discover hits a River Herald Guide, and of course the explore results in it getting boosted to 4/2 and killing my Itzquinth via blocking. I got blown out afterwards.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Played 16 games on ranked with RDW and Azorius Soldiers just to get to the daily 4 wins.

I'm already at that stage I was in Hearthstone where I'm questioning the point of putting more time into this.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Poster asks for advice then tells the people giving advice that they're wrong :laffo:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What should be my final 5 cuts in this Boros deck?

I'm thinking maybe Sandwing, both Archeologists, one Gemguard and Ancestor's Aid?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

elbkaida posted:

Definitely keep the trick! On top of your cuts I'd cut the 1/4 and one hammer and bring in one idol.

The Aid and the Idol just teamed up to win me Game 2. Thanks!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grabbed the 3 wins in MWM in 10 minutes with no-rares Mono-B Nazgul.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I was a dumbass and forgot to make my final 2 cuts before playhing my first game with this WoE Rakdos quickdraft.

After Scalding Viper won me that game by bouncing a blocker, I'm a little less inclined to cut it. Still, that, Scream Puff, Dragon Mantle and one Witch's Vanity are what I'm considering cutting. What should be my two cuts?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Algid posted:

Prism and screampuff, there's very fixing to do in your deck and no bargain so it's just cycle and celebration trigger basically. Screampuff is just not that good in BR.

Viper is an early attacker that also also deals a bunch of unblockable damage if it's not removed, it's a great 2 drop that does not depend on the adventure side to function at all.

Just finished a game where I had both copies of Witch's Vanity by Turn 3 and just couldn't find a 2-drop for them to target all game. Ugh.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

10 turns. 0 goddamn lands drawn outside of the three I got in my opening hand.

And the two copies of Witch's Vanity were worse than useless the whole run. The two games I had them in my opening hand there were no 2-drops to target all game.

gently caress this game up the rear end with a Spiked Ripsaw.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

First ever try at KTK Sealed and I'm feeling out of my depth.

Was this the right set of colors to build with or should I be looking to incorporate W instead?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

This doesn't look right at all. You got Ankle Shanker, two Mardu Hordechiefs, all the Mardu duals, and you're not even playing Bring Low. Can you put this onto sealedech.tech so it's easier to play around with?

EDIT: Yeah I don't know why you're playing G and U at all. Your W is insane (Herald of Anafenza! Ainok Bond-Kin! Abzan Falconer! Kill Shot!), you're not playing a lot of excellent R cards, not even Throttle. This is a Boros deck with a bit of a B splash for removal + bombs.

Here you go.

I started out wanting to build around a UR core then got lost when I realized it wasn't deep enough.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I cannot loving wait until KTK limited is over. Draft formats that force you into three colors and open you up to three straight losses due to color screw can go to hell.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

1) just start with a two enemy color deck and then just lightly splash, or don't splash at all? That's the best tactic anyway
2) alternatively, LCI is still online? Who's forcing you to play Khans?

1) That's exactly what I did (BW with a G splash for Anafenza and Armament Corps). Didn't stop the RNG shitfest.
2) Having an alternate option isn't the issue. I don't want to spend a week playing limited in one set only because that gets boring fast.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe once I'm less tilted I am gonna figure out how to draft 11 power worth of flying bullshit by Turn 5 in quickdraft.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why didn't you swing with your pirate on your final turn (and why did you play all your stuff pre-combat when it didn't effect combat)

My Turn 7 you mean? Game was a lost cause at that point.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

If I wanted to play a deck with a Companion in BO1 Timeless, do I need the Companion to be in the maindeck or can I just have it as part of a 1-card sideboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

First ever 7-0 via BRO quickdraft.

Picked some splashable black cards at the beginning then pivoted into forcing UW Soldiers after a P1P3 Yotian Tactician. Synergy was crazy good thanks to the Aeronaut Cavalries, Skystrike Officer, Emergency Welds, and Transmogrant's Crown.

I shockingly never ran into color screw issues the whole run. Game 6 was loving hilarious in hindsight as both of us were making stupid errors and it came down to who hosed up less.

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 25, 2024