Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I passed a Love Song of Night and Day... symmetrical effects scare me and "each draw 2" seems bad?

I guess you could always skip that one

yeah you are skipping the first one 99% of the time. 3 mana make a 1/1 flying and put two counters is a fine card I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Finally got around to my first draft, and I think I might have peaked too early

7-2 in silver/gold.

Here's the draft https://www.17lands.com/draft/196b0330f48e4adf87d77fc3933e17c7, p2p3 should have been Phyrexian Emissary.

If you want to see something really funny, look at my first loss under Details.

what in gods name

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #7

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c68c3e27ce3445808504ef9d73f1bb87

Opened Balmor in a pack with a weak rare so UR spells it is again lol. I guess I could have taken Cut Down to stay more open.

Opened a Grixis mythic pack 3 and I lucked out having picked an RB dual land earlier just in case. I thought the archetype wasn't fully there by pack 3 and was wondering whether I would have to play some of the speculative white card or red lowtier filler... but then I got passed Lightning Strikes on 2, 6(!?) and 9(?!?!?!?!) and Electrostatic Infantry on 4 and literal last pick lol

UR out of every archetype is the one that most wants to stick to 2 colors. The vineshapers are going to be absolutely dogshit in your deck, those have to go. The mythic is pretty good but really hard to cast, probably should be cut as well. If you want to be doing the splashy stuff with 4 colors you need way more than 3 dual lands and a lovely grotto. Also dont play 16 lands when your mana base is already so bad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

2. Sam Black was discussing with his chat how they thought you needed 7 defenders and 2 Chaplains to make defender work but he said it functions fine with much less than that. I thought these walls played well with a grindy gameplan and Academy Wall cracked pretty well with Bulwark. I should have probably played the Trample wurm over the Sentinel though, or probably the Haunting Figment which didn't really fit in with the plan

yeah but Sam Black was talking about when you already have the chaplains. without them the wall plan isnt really worth going for

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

kalel posted:

what the hell is this crap. and how come when I do it I get smushed???

the mana base is super iffy but its all about having those 2 for 1s, which this deck is loaded with

you can also go the a bunch of outriders and recursion route, that one is my favorite

https://www.17lands.com/deck/9ac4df3af9b44ba8bf4fa3c996f9db53/3

but really you can do basically anything in this set, its great

studio mujahideen posted:

micromancer rules because there's a ton of great 1 cost spells and if you're blue you probably have a tolarian terror/etc anyway so even getting the lovely -1/0 cantrip is extremely worth it

it being a 3/3 just means its fairly relevant on board too.

that lovely cantrip is fantastic! its also straight up 3 mana kill a thing draw a card a lot of the time

babypolis fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 5, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i would not say its bad but its certainly a card i dont id rather avoid playing. you really, really want your fixing to come from dual lands. but manaworker essentially gives you perfect mana so in a pinch it can salvage a deck that would otherwise not work

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #15

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d7adb3967b87480d939048aa324c8d3c

Opened a Devastator and then a Knight of Dawn's Light made me consider white as a pair. I didn't pick Tori as the next pick though because she has horrid 17L stats? (Is that being warped by people playing her in the wrong decks or is that card just not relevant?) I went with Argivian Cavalier but ended up cutting white anyway. P2P2 I could have picked Defiler of Dreams, but remembered my previous issues with double pips and since it didn't seem like blue was a main color at the time (I was wrong!) I went with Hurloon Battle Hymn (which was a main color but also has better stats...)

I think this should be competitive? Non-Chaplain defender strategy to stay alive until Devastator or Jaya can take over (with alternate mill wincon), enough nonpermanent spells to keep the Terrors fed. I am guessing that Founding the Third Path doesn't replace anything in here, and that Rona's Vortex without black is not great? With no mandatory splash (just some nonessential kickers) and curving out at 4, I think this seems like a 16-lander too?

why do you keep ending up with all these random walls in your deck and draft? you really dont want to invest into any of the wall stuff before seeing a chaplain

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

none of the defilers are bad but the only spectacular one is the green one, the rest are just kinda mediocre and should not be picked highly. 2 color pips is just so bad in this format, all the splashing makes triggering them hard, the white red and black ones have pretty negligible effects, and the blue one has a good effect but blue barely plays any permanents

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

little munchkin posted:

They're all above rate creatures with additional upside. Aside from the white one you should probably be taking them above every common/uncommon

im pretty sure thats not true. like just looking at their winrates, only the green one has a pretty high one at 61.9. then red is sitting at a respectable 60%, but still lower than many uncommons and even some commons. the rest range from ok (58% range for the white and black ones) to actually kinda bad for the blue one at 56.4% (not surprising given the lack of blue permanents). i was slightly too dismissive of them but besides the green one they arent really bomb rare status. 2 pips of mana is just a big ask in this format and they ask for things most decks dont want to do (play a lot of permanents of a single color)

Ive actually drafted the red one a bunch and its always kind of just there because if im going deep into red im probably in UR, which doesnt actually want to play many red permanents. every time it was basically a 4 mana 4/4 first strike which is pretty solid but also not something im going nuts for. id much rather pick a strong uncommon that actually gives me some direction

babypolis fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 9, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Anyways got the 3-0 trophy with this greedy rear end pile. i love this format so much

I had some incredible games too. match 1 game 3 I managed to outvalue a chaplain deck at full power (technically they lost to time, but they had 1 card left in library and probably no way to kill me). match 2 game 3 my back was agaisnt the wall to a RW deck and I had to a bunch of really specific plays to have any chance of winning, felt pretty good to get that win

babypolis fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 9, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im struggling to think of a red deck that doesnt want the red defiler pretty bad outside of a blue heavy UR

4/4 first strike is fairly brutal on board

im just never going that deep into red outside of UR. even then its because the spells, outside the outrider and land goblin (both easy and powerful splashes) all the red creatures kinda suck

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the WR beatdown deck is very real, and doesn't really need to splash, its great in there. and I guess it might be a tossup in RG domain deck depending on how their mana works out, but eh

Yeah I guess this comes down to personal preference a lot. Im all about grabbing every recursion thing I see in this format so im just very rarely going down that path. Like I said 60% GIH WR is pretty respectable, it just kinda demands a playstyle im not wild for

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Any thoughts for this sealed pool?

https://sealeddeck.tech/QnN10v3SWR

I have a bunch of lands so the domain deck seems like the most obvious option, but the WB sac deck looks kinda appealing as well and i havent been doing very well with the 5c domain stuff in sealed for some reason

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

man DMU drafts are great but the sealeds have been miserable. somehow every pool is dogshit

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Toozler posted:

You have no creatures, right? I would at least add Wall and Drake for probably Charge and a Destroy Evil. Even with four Terrors those just seem super mid

e: both Impedes probably belong in here, for both Scorns honestly, or maybe Impulse. Some combination of all this useless advice!

why remove a copy of the 2nd most powerful removal spell in the set? and a instant to boot, so it also powers our terrors. agreed with removing the charge, its just going to get stuck in hand forever which you really want to avoid in a deck with 4 tolarian terrors. I would like to put more cheap spells in, but the impedes are generally bad and even worse in a controlling deck like this one. I think the negate might be fine here? it could also get stuck in hand which is bad, but the stall for time seems borderline useless. I guess its one of those 3 spells (impeded, stall, negate) over the charge but im not really sure which one is the least worst one

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first half of the Championship is draft at least... the video and audio of the official stream is pretty bad though so I'm watching Amazonian's restream lol

Edit:

What blessing do I need to receive to get both Sphinx of Clear Skies and Vodalian Mindsinger in my draft...

Sam had a sealed with 2 weatherseed treaties, a defiler of dreams, vodalian mindsinger and 2(!!!!!) sphinxes for the play in qualifier

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

little munchkin posted:

Definitely an adjustment I've had to make to modern draft sets is having a short memory. Sets are so complex nowadays that you can't really rely on history to tell you what's going to be good (vampire spawn in afr is what really taught me this lesson). People ignored espionage when the set was spoiled because divination effects haven't been good for a while. I have my theorycraft reasons for why espionage is different but the important thing is that the numbers don't lie, putting it in your deck makes you more likely to win games.

this is a pretty good point but i just wanted to nitpick and say that the power of vampire spawn not being recognized is probably due more to the lack of stats. without stats telling us the card is good, people just couldnt tell that a 4 point life swing on a reasonable body is good. same with 2 mana life linkers, no one realized mesa unicorn was good in the m19 days

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Pixie Illusionist is a good card.

I'd just rather have a Battlefly Swarm most of the time.

its a 55% GIH winrate card. which means its playable, but not something you want to include in your deck. as fixing its kind of a last resort and the body is just not very relevant. same for swarm really. theres just way stronger things going on in this format

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

anyone mind taking a look at this pool?

https://sealeddeck.tech/nekf9l20Kc

I think I pretty much have to go 5 color domain with the amount of power and lands I have, but the mana base and the last few cards are pretty tough

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MikeC posted:

I came up with this https://sealeddeck.tech/47gzv6uGYD. Not at all sure if it is right. But I didn't like zero acceleration to wait for Mossbeard to come in the game though you do have a lot of 0/2 land fetchers.

Grixis midrange with cantrips, card draw, a decent removal suite (2 hard kills, 2 damage based), a Twinferno to copy any removal or to give surprise double strike, two for ones (Lookout and Rager) 1 essence scatter, and enough spells to keep Battlemage captain, Electrostatic infantry fueled, or Tolarian Terror pushed out. You also have a regrowth to bring back a Terror, Necromass, Sleeper or Battlemage and if you manage to get grotto in play, regrow 2 guys. A lot of threats are evasive in some way as well so you might be able to win the game on the back of a single flyer. If the game stalls you can play out your creatures, then play Battlemage and a couple of cheap surprise spells to trample over for wins.

Manabase is very good as well for a sealed deck.

thanks for the suggestions, I ended up going with my build because all the top players recommend having a stronger deck over having a stronger manabase, managed to snag the day 2 invite with a 7-2 run

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

Giving Arena Open one shot because what the hell. Here's my pool.

https://sealeddeck.tech/sTIuT1ofWu

While W/U looks the eastiest build, I am considering Bant to work in Tatyova, Vineshaper, 1-2 senties, and maybe the Baloth and Bite Down. I got some fixing such as the robot and Relic of Legends (got 3 legendaries to ramp with). Got bombs with Defiler of Faith and Sphinx. You think it's worth it to add Green?

pretty strong pool, your UW is indeed quite good and easy, this is what I came up with

https://sealeddeck.tech/AjiUiit4mp

but you also have 3 sojourners and a million duals, im also interested in some green based domain, something like this?

https://sealeddeck.tech/68mqk758zc

problem with this build is no repossesions is pretty sad and so is losing access to the sphinx, but you do get to play a bunch of really powerful cards. Maybe theres some sultai build that manages to play all the good blue cards but I cant figure out the mana for that, your duals dont really support it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wei posted:

I end up with pretty much the same first 19-20 cards but yeah, you were just supposed to play 5c and all the 2 for 1s and big creatures.

out of curiosity, what cards did you disagree on? I think vivisector, sabotage, badger, and librarian were possible includes, maybe a lightning strike for some more cheap removal?

wei posted:

same thing here, https://sealeddeck.tech/FbYHY3VGk6. Not sure what the last cut is, prob Sojourner. could also see one of the white removal spells getting played

yeah this is the perfect sultai build I was looking for earlier, in retrospect with so many GB duals you can just go for it with islands

babypolis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 1, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

What are people's win rates in DMU draft btw? Currently around 58% but only managed like 12 drafts due to moving house, trying to cram some more in now

62% in bo1 and 69.7% match win rate in bo3. so pretty good results in bo1, kinda mediocre for bo3 (compared to other sets). i havent really drafted since eating poo poo on day of the 2 open which really deflated my spirits

wei posted:

probably biased because of my winrate, but there aren't that many different decks and ingame decisions were more impactful in SNC and HBG

i felt like i local maximaed myself, as sam black would say, into only playing repossession soup which did get very old after a while

kalel posted:

an exercise for the reader: without looking ahead, give me your thoughts on the first picks of pack 1 in this draft. this was my first DMU draft since since release week, these picks was really tough and I'm curious if people would arrive at the same choices (at least until pick 7 which turns the draft into an on-rails RW bonanza).

the games were pretty funny too, especially the last 3 games which were like a progression through the final bosses of the format. what a deck.

terror on pick 2 is the only meaningful difference for me. those were some tough picks to navigate tho, very nicely done

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I think this time around being human drafts feels so much better. The format feels completely different than it did during bot draft seasons when everyone was drafting 8 secretkeepers or all food. For folks who drafted it on arena with bots before and never in person or on MTGO I'd highly recommend giving it a go around while it's on flashback, it's a really good format and the mono color focus feels rewarding and unique, even if sometimes the drafts themselves aren't interesting

thanks to ELD coming back I got to play with Oko for the first and probably last time

https://www.17lands.com/deck/3038ae08f33e4b08a9aadbbe8774d8c5

a nice 7-0 with this one, thanks Oko!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

hmm will this run long enough for 17lands data to be useful... maybe i should "pick my spot"

1 or 2 days is usually enough. Theres a bunch of data already

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Time posted:

Why would I crack it, I literally get every card I need to play by drafting and early in a set I just spend wildcards to make decks. If I didn’t have wildcards I would crack it but right now there isn’t anything to spend it on anyway

shiny clicky and then number go up

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

trophied with this nice BG deck

https://www.17lands.com/deck/2064ec607d96426ab4ae84522db179fc/1

conclusion: blanchwood prowler and gaeas gift are really, really good cards

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e8cc530e4daa45e3b236e6a97f354cdb

3-0 with this kinda dumpy RG aggro deck. cheap stuff plus combat tricks seems to be the way to go right now.

also gaeas gift is easily greens best common, its a disgustingly good card that can win games on its own

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

quite stretched out posted:

check out this ending to a game

when the other guy cast the second yotian tactician i was worried but by the time the 4th one went down i was just mad. who the gently caress gets passed 4 yotian tacticians in draft

did you lose? because with some careful blocking you could really wreck your opponent here by abusing the fact that every dead tactician makes everything else smaller, including the other tacticians. so you could really daisy chain everything down here

edit: nevermind you did do that and are getting wrecked by flyers here. still not clear who wins tho

babypolis fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 17, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Another 3-0 with this sweet UB deck:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/ecd2ad57c52d4b7fbc048cc2c8f5e2d1/2

conclusions: I liked combat courier a lot. just a nice little 1 drop that can block early or get discarded in a pinch and gets you some value. Mutt is as good as the stats say. Machine over matter felt pretty good to have. Also thanks to everyone who recommended the big green guy, it was really good as well

I kinda love this format so far? it helps that im winning but I love how trinkety and versatile so many of these cards are. Theres a lot of cards that do multiple things so you can craft these decks that are doing a lot at once, its great

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

Ok, discovered real fast that Sardinian Cliffstomper is really not something you want to put in a two color deck (or perhaps any deck)

fadam posted:

That's the 0/4 guy who gets bigger if you have four mountains? He sucks imo.

hes very good in mono red but yeah dont play him in a two color deck

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

7-1 with RG powerstone control which I guess is a thing, this format loving rules and goddamn am i running hot right now

https://www.17lands.com/deck/77b517b6fbaf4bfc9069f69b7b353bce/1

conclusions: titanias command is a disgustingly good card

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

10 drafts still in the war chest, time to mount up

Event #5

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2accc3db2dab4e578ba1d086d48e734d

RB sacrifice locked in pretty late when I opened the Misery's Shadow P3P1. Before then I was hedging with blue, and although I got the adjacent gold cards, it doesn't feel like they are worth a splash? I already have enough in RB to pick from, and to build around the Junkyard Genius. I need to cut 9 cards lol. Thinking:

The Blast Runners have pretty good stats on 17Lands. They incentivize me to play those cheap sacrifice artifacts, and maybe one or more of the bitter reunions for filtering?
Steal and Sac seems viable? I have two Junkyard Geniuses and two Thraxodemons.
I don't know how aggressive I would want to be though, versus leaning into the value engines. Visions of Phyrexia was my starting rare and it seems pretty good? Remorse and Unleash Shell to take out the major threats, build up mana for Keening Stone and Heavyweight Demolisher to close?

Edit: oh i forgot about the clay revenant i had in the sideboard, this is tough lol

Edit 2: oh poo poo it's sacrifice permanents for these cards and evolving wilds counts, the ol fetchland trick

Ditch the trench stalkers, the 2 big artifacts, skullflayer, vermin, both chanters, and a reunion. thats 9, right? also bring in the wilds for sure. You always want your first 1-2 copies even in a two color deck AND its a sac effect for your runners

not having a bull for cheap sac kinda hurts and makes the steal and sac stuff worse, but this looks pretty good to me. 4 runners is kinda sicko

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

Got my first trophy in a year with this mess.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/64ae9af564f244198e1cd5a3356397c6

I don't think I did a good job drafting it, but I wanted to have fun, and I did better at playing it than at drafting it!

keening stone seems like an unplayably bad card. emergency weld is pretty decent specially if you are milling yourself a bunch

56% gih on the stone so not nearly as bad as I thought, but I still would run the weld over it. the mutt should always be in your deck if you even have a couple of ways to unearth it. clay relevant seems way better than the mite since they fulfill similar roles but you can draw the revenant by milling it. the battery bearer seems like a terrible splash since its making your mana awful for little gain. other than those small details it looks pretty good!

babypolis fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 20, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Game tactics quiz:

Do you start going in to clear blockers or do you hold back and wait for the cavalry? (I played the Wellspring this turn because I had four lands and didn't want to miss another land drop). And would you play the cavalry immediately or wait a turn to have mana up for strongbull?

I did the latter for both questions, which ended up being ok -- they played a Thraxodemon which would have threatened to swing momentum in their direction but I topdecked a Prison Sentence. I knew that when I attacked with Bull I would lose one of the 3/1s so I wanted mana up to sac it for value. They almost stabilized with a Perilous Vault that exiled the board -- luckily I had mana up so I was able to sac all my creatures to put them in the graveyard instead while pinging them. They had a Tyrant which made me think I was gonna lose if they played combat correctly. I unearthed and I had a Whirling Strike in hand that could have tricked the dragon or pushed through for damage -- I wasn't sure of the math but they scooped when I started unearthing everything lol

nothing on their board is particularly threathening and we have more cards in hand so I dont feel any pressure to make aggressive plays. which means playing cavalry, as you did. I dont get waiting a turn for strongbull mana, whats that supposed to accomplish?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was thinking that if they used removal on a cohort (which they ended up doing) it would be nice to have mana up to sac it for value.

I ended up having to delay cavalry a turn to play the Prison Sentence on the Thraxodemon before it could activate so I didn't have to make the decision anyway, but I am guessing that getting the flier on the board ASAP would probably have been the play

I get the idea I think, in a stalemate position like this you really want to get as much out of your cards as you can. However, you also want to be advancing your own game plan and looking for a way to win, otherwise you are giving your opponent time to outdraw you or find their unbeatable bomb or combo. Delaying your best play like that for a potential single face damage seems absolutely not worth it. Theres something to be said for drawing out removal but you arent really presenting any threats worth removing to begin with. Your opponent wasting a removal on a cohort is a horrid play there, not something you can count on

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.17lands.com/draft/76e18db23f694e61a37891957877ba8a

hey wei (or anyone else really) mind taking a look at this mono red deck? first time drafting it, saw 2 cliffstompers late in pack 2 and decided to go for it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i was cleaning up mediocre RB decks yesterday so it seems like the word is out there

ive had lots of success with black and green stuff. mill all your unearth stuff and profit. play every mutt and cohort you see and worry about how you will pay for them later

i dont think ive ever been killing it this hard in a format, im loving it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

off to draft 2 with an extra life thanks to this beautiful deck

wish me luck goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wei posted:

Saw this on Jason's stream, glad you got the 4-0. Good luck, get that $!

Bombed out 0-2 sadly. pretty mediocre deck that drew really badly

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a09e7e0a4c5148baae1b7a6e401c8577

theres 2 egregious misplays as well, a misclick and a brain dead attack but i dont think either one changed much

draft was very hard as expected, felt like i got boxed into a bad color combination in GW. starting in white and trying to use it as a main color also felt very bad