Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Craft lands that produce multiple mana colors as these are useful in pretty much any deck you build

Also black is the best color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ty and cheers to munckin and posters itt like him who make helpful and efficient limited posts casue im not a 4 hour youtube/podcast kind of guy but also i dont want to totally toilet my draft tokens every release

Here's my limited advice: draft good cards, pass bad cards

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I went 7-1 and 5-2 in sealed events. Just play the best cards in all 5 colors, the fixing is amazing. Territorial Maro is a beast.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

just hopped into my first dominaria sealed

lol, lmao

Jesus Christ

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I am begging please stop letting my opponents have multiple territorial maros

What's wrong, can't handle a couple 5 mana 10/10s?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Here's a fun deck for the artisan event

Deck
4 Cursebound Witch
2 Cult Conscript
4 Shambling Ghast
4 Faithful Disciple
4 Vengeful Strangler
4 A-Hobbling Zombie
1 A-Sepulcher Ghoul
4 Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim
4 Fell Stinger
4 Deadly Dispute
4 Rite of Oblivion
7 Plains
10 Swamp
4 Scoured Barrens

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

precision posted:

free gold in the shop today

I love goooold!

Also it's funny that alchemy artisan lets you use cards that can pull rares from outside your deck (draft from spell book)

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

What alchemy is good for: breaking the mtg arena client
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuBMsBnYhDk

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Just got paired in a dominaria united draft against a top 500 ranked mythic player (I'm in plat 3) and blew them out. Feels good.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Rap Game Goku posted:

Which streamer is playing that mono-blue Haughty Djinn deck? I don't know how many times I've run into it and it just doesn't seem very good.

You need a big brain to play it, and it gets annihilated vs. aggro. It's one of the most popular decks at the moment. CGB ran it but he definitely wasn't the first.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

precision posted:

i've been having a LOT of success with Pixie Illusionist in Draft, it's a good card

Mana fixing flyer for 1 mana that can be played as a 3/3 beater in the late game. Yes please

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

precision posted:

black having tons of removal is kinda Black's whole deal, so it doesn't bother me.

what tilts me like nobody's business is people who play discard. "you don't get to play with your toys" is a style of deck that, i am entirely certain, is only enjoyed by a certain sort of very unpleasant person

Hymn to Tourach (wolf) is my favorite card

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

Favorite play from back when I was young. Turn one, on the play:

Swamp. Dark Ritual. Dark Ritual. Hypnotic Specter. Hymn to Tourach.

Hell yeah! I miss the discard at random effects instead of boring choose and discard. The effect was so much more powerful.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Algid posted:

free gems in store today

Right after DMU quick draft ends (for the next 2 weeks) HMmmmmm

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Started 0-2 after getting two straight games where I couldn't stop drawing lands, then ripped off 7 straight wins. Drafting Vanquish the Horde helps.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

If meathook is banned, does path of peril become a playable card?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Love drawing 12 of 17 lands in my draft deck in the first 16 cards of my library, thanks wizards

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Bring back ante.

Only if they reprint and make legal Contract from Below

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

Cost me a fair few wildcards but once this thing gets momentum it really tears.

Forgot to comment but I also made this deck and it's been pretty good in ladder. Out values aggro decks and many midrange decks, and is easy to play. Copying sanctuary warden with kiki-jiki is pretty nice.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

standard sucks so loving much

]
edit: lol played a loving match against azorius control that took 33 turns and 26 minutes and ended with me dying from empty library while they had 1 card in their library, there wasn't any milling involved, it was just them countering and exiling all my spells while they reshuffled them back in into their deck repeatedly, if there was an experience that was expressly designed to get me to physically harm someone while also giving up on magic forever it was that, i should have just ejected but it felt winnable for like 20 minutes and then it was sunk cost

i legitimately feel like my whole day has been bottled and i want to go back to sleep

Edit oh poo poo didn't even see thespaceinvader's post

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 7, 2022

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

lmao get wrekt

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

I'm not bored, but I AM very bad at it and my ability to turn gold into gems has been severely hampered this set because of it.

Just draft helm of the host in 3 consecutive drafts like I did and you will feel better

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Draft BRO, bro

Its sick, bro

Guaranteed to have a good time, bro

It owns, bro

I hate this loving format so much

i swear to god whatever hand smoothing algorithm Arena uses will give you a better hand if you are playing 3 colors than if you are playing two colors

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

What colors is Sheoldred even a problem for? I understand that it is somewhat tough to kill with 5 toughness, but there are removal answers in every single color in standard for it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Currently in plat 4 limited and get paired against mythic ranked #110 and #900 in back to back games, where I proceed to draw nothing but lands for the next 5 turns in each game. Went 1-3 in my draft. Thanks Wizards.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I had a very funny Brawl game. I was playing Xanathar, my opponent was playing the Samurai that gives an extra attack round when a creature attacks but itself (Raiyuu, Storms Edge 3/3 first strike)

I was horrifically mana screwed. We were on maybe turn 6 and I only had 3 lands in play with an Ornithopter of Paradise. I played Sheoldred to slow down his attacks a bit. I had Negate and Pact of Negation and I figured, what the hell, I'm going to use Pact this turn and point because I'm not winning.

The opponent attacked and I blocked. He played Abrade, I negated the Abrade. He then played Wandering Emperor, I used Pact of the Emperor. I was totally prepared to lose as I only had 4 mana. My opponent scooped.

opponent tilted so hard they forgot how to read

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

lmao the midweek artisan poo poo is hilarious

"Only commons and uncommons" but it's alchemy so you get a bunch of commons and uncommons that summon/draft/conjure rares and mythics into your hand. Total bullshit

that's the cruel reality of the format

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AHzJ0zGf8

Jump to 25:30 to watch Simic poison go off.

LegenVD also made a poison deck which seemed to roll over a lot of decks in green/white (CGB's simic deck still looks better) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCplrt0LMzY. It also looks like a powerful archetype in limited.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

What do the prerelease codes get you?

Another day older and deeper in debt

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Black is also easily my favorite color, I loving love sacrificing my own stuff

I'm especially a big fan of Shambling Ghast, such a wonderful one-drop. A big reason to play Alchemy over Standard for the decks that really want it (e.g. my zombie one) - it's not legal in Standard anymore, having first been printed in the DnD set (AFR) which has rotated out, but it got reprinted in the Alchemy-only set HBG, which is Alchemy legal.

Just in case you are wondering if you should make a Standard or Alchemy deck, and why some cards show up as playable in one and not the other despite looking "normal".

There was something extremely satisfying playing ghast turn 1 and deadly dispute on turn 2, ramping or killing their 1 drop

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

I predict people are going to get really sick of poison very quickly

that's how poison works

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

https://youtu.be/AsA8uTfd168

this is pretty funny

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

From the phantom draft midweek event:

Looks like I'm playing black

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Eej posted:

Because Embercleaves and Bonecrusher Giants are better than Kumano Faces Kakkazan
Also Torbran better than mechanized warfare, robber of the rich better than feldon, Anax better at going wide, etc

I'm very glad wizards isn't pushing mono red right now, Eldraine standard was oppressive

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 23, 2023

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I wish Wizards would stop pushing white so much. They have the fastest aggro decks, hatebears, best removal (lay down arms), best sweepers (farewell and white sun's twilight), creatures stapled to removal, etc.

Unban meathook in standard is what I'm saying.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Alchemy draft has to be lighter competition than regular draft right? This dumb pile was funny to play but getting 7 wins was not what I expected. Pretty much won every game off of Prologue to Phyresis, Skullpiercer Gnat, and Contagion Dispenser. Contagion Dispenser having a proliferate fight card in particular was clutch

I've crashed out 0-3 with much better decks in regular new phyrexia limited, congrats

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Long way away being this year and it came up because of this midweek magic.

What cards are you excited about being rotated out of standard? I would be happy not seeing turn 2 Thalia on the play anymore.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Kashuno posted:

reprint embercleave wotc you cowards

nooo I'm so happy that mono red decks have a coinflip win rate right now

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Has anyone else ever had their giant mono green board demolished by Mechanical Warfare + THREE End the Festivities? :negative:

No but I have destroyed boards by playing a couple mechanical warfares and then dropping and end the festivities. Meta right now is almost all aggro (soldiers or mono red) and midrange decks built to beat aggro.

Mono red is very boring to play but I didn't need to craft anything and it's an efficient way to get your dailies in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

enjoy dying to "mana burn"

Mana burn rules, also not having your mana pool drain at the end of each phase rules