Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just reached Constructed Mythic #666 with this deck from DatabaseMTG designed to dunk on mono-Black. It feels like midrange, but this is the best control deck in the format. Crushes black, crushes midrange, crushes other control decks, only has problems with red aggro and against Haughty Djinn decks. I just won a hilarious game where I repeatedly used Restoration of Eiganjo to bring back my Roadside Reliquary, drawing a total of seven cards with that land.

1 March of Otherworldly Light
4 Raffine's Informant
3 Destroy Evil
3 Fateful Absence
2 Sunset Revelry
2 Reckoner Bankbuster
4 Restoration of Eiganjo
4 Wedding Announcement
3 The Wandering Emperor
4 Invoke Justice
2 Elspeth Resplendent
4 Sanctuary Warden
2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
20 Plains
2 Roadside Reliquary

Sideboard:
2 Intrepid Adversary
1 Destroy Evil
4 Knockout Blow
3 The Fall of Lord Konda
2 Cemetery Protector
1 Serra Paragon
2 Enduring Angel

I think I'm going to cut one Invoke Justice and add Elspeth Resplendent. She has been phenomenal, and Invoke Justice is a bomb but sometimes I can't cast it because there's nothing in my graveyard. I've been playing Bo1 so the sideboard probably sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah watching Jim Davis play that midrange boros deck it seemed like Invoke Justice was a huge liability and never did anything (didn't help that he queued into two maindeck unlicensed hearses lmao).

Playing Elspeth for 5 mana has felt pretty good in my current standard deck for sure. I have considered instant-speed removal but I am mainly worried about Sheoldred and Kiki-Jiki and killing them at sorcery speed is usually OK, Elspeth digging for Touch the Spirit Realm has been a good on-time play

That's an interesting synergy. I almost never dig with Elspeth - if I have any creature on board I'm going to start turning it into a homemade Baneslayer Angel. I don't think I've ever activated the ultimate, but the threat of it means that my opponents have to spend a lot of resources killing Elspeth before she can go off.

The deck is so full of synergies. Discarding Sanctuary Warden and then casting Invoke Justice is one of the main ones, and it comes up all the time. It's also cute to cast Sanctuary Warden while holding priority, use her to crew Reckoner Bankbuster in response, and then remove a counter from it with the ETB. Although I wonder if it's too cute - the deck could use more proactive two-mana plays.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

reignonyourparade posted:

Alright I've been playing through this and honestly have to ask: what is sunset revelry supposed to be doing here? I don't think there's been a single time i've actually wanted to cast it, but since it's in the list i'm assuming i'm piloting the thing wrong.

Against aggressive decks, it's gain 4 life and make 2 dudes, which is great. Against slow decks, just treat it like it has Cycling 1W.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is there a way to buy the Rebecca Guay basic lands? They're not in the store, and I missed whatever event you could win them in.

Other, totally unrelated question: Anyone know whether it's better to play Restoration of Eiganjo or Wedding Invitation on turn 3? I have 4 of each, I'll play the Restoration if I need the fourth land next turn, but in some situations it's really not obvious which is better.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Look at this draft, the worst draft I've ever done. Somehow I went 6-3. Tried to do UG domain, didn't get any cards for it, then saw Archangel of Wrath at P2P1 and figured I could pivot to white. Didn't see any white cards, played GR Domain splashing the 2WWBR spell and somehow made it work. Baird won me two games by producing a 1/1 token every turn during some horrific board stalls. Three Meria's Outrider (three of my first four picks) were good; each one is harder and harder for the opponent to deal with. I know I could have drafted this much better but I'm glad I managed to get a winning record with it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Discarded cards going to the graveyard was a mistake, they should go to exile. How does it make sense that you repair a collar and now there's a giant destroyed artifact sitting on the battlefield?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain Invictus posted:

alright, I've been having some pretty decent success in the play queue with this gruul goblins list I brewed up, any suggestions for additions/cuts without culling the core conceit of "goblins"?

I'd recommend going more red unless Rulik Mons is much better than he looks. He isn't giving you much value for the splash, while Sprouting Goblin is easy to include with the cheap kicker. You're probably losing any game where you activate Goblin Picker, it's a bad card. The strongest theme seems to be token swarming and Modify abilities, so you really want Kumano Faces Kakazan and more Goro-Goro. Burn Down the House and Titan of Industry don't fit in an aggro deck, while Goro-Goro gives you a suitable mana sink for the games where you manage to get a ton of lands or Treasure tokens. Maybe Akki Ember-Keeper could be good, but the deck doesn't have many ways to modify its creatures.

Has Chandra been good for you? She seems questionable in this deck, while Squee is perfect for it.

You can't kill Sheoldred at all, and you need to be able to do that. You can cut Lightning Strike and play Rending Flame, or you could try Jaya, Fiery Negotiator.

So, this is the version I built to make this a mostly red deck with a green splash:

Deck
4 Rundvelt Hordemaster (DMU) 142
2 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
4 Sprouting Goblin (DMU) 145
3 Goro-Goro, Disciple of Ryusei (NEO) 145
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
3 Squee, Dubious Monarch (DMU) 146
4 Thundering Raiju (NEO) 166
2 Jaya, Fiery Negotiator (DMU) 133
3 Rending Flame (VOW) 175
2 Akki Ember-Keeper (NEO) 130
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
2 Rockfall Vale (MID) 266
14 Mountain (ANA) 30

Edit: I'm playing this now and getting a 70% win rate in Platinum 3. Sokenzan Smelter with Treasure tokens has never worked, so I'm changing it to Akki Ember-Keeper. Hitting someone with Boseiju from a mono-red deck is really, really funny, so I added a second copy.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 2, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wizards has decided that midrangey creature fests are Fun, and Magic As Richard Garfield Intended, so they're pushing every format in that direction.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain Invictus posted:

thanks for fixing it up a bit! it's a lot of fun, I mostly had the pickers in there as more goblins for the hordemaster since there's not a lot to choose from in standard.

For sure! There aren't many good goblins in Standard, I figure those are the best options. You could go heavier on the theme with more Akki Ember-Keepers, but I don't think it would be as good.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I didn't know that Explorer existed until that post about it, right now. Looking at some of these decks, it looks like a lot of fun, time to build something.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Can someone explain to me like I'm a very dumb baby why Rest in Peace is not an acceptable answer to Greasefang? I haven't played explorer much in about a month or so but RIP seemed to work just fine in my angels deck against it

Definitely good against Greasefang, but against any other deck you're down a card automatically.

After thirty minutes of playing Explorer, though, I am tempted to make a deck with 4 Scavenging Ooze and 4 Lion Sash just to crush that Greasefang jerk.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lone Goat posted:

Time to start playing limited superstar Destroy Evil in your 60 card decks.

Yeah, I got to Mythic thanks to that card. I feel like people are adapting to the presence of Sheoldred by playing appropriate removal spells, and she's not nearly the threat that she was in week one of the format.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is there a good Tergrid deck in Historic? I love stealing my opponent's poo poo, and I feel like with Liliana of the Veil there should be something there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Onehandclapping posted:

Commander
1 Tergrid, God of Fright (KHM) 112

Sweet decklist, thanks. I've never played Brawl, but this might get me into it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I won the Qualifier Play-In with this fun match. My opponent had over 150 power on the board, but he couldn't stop two flying creatures.

This deck is still fantastic at crushing mono-black. I took it to Mythic #400 last month.

Deck
1 March of Otherworldly Light (NEO) 28
20 Plains (ANA) 23
3 Fateful Absence (MID) 18
4 Raffine's Informant (SNC) 26
2 Sunset Revelry (MID) 38
3 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
4 The Restoration of Eiganjo (NEO) 34
4 Wedding Announcement (VOW) 45
3 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
2 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
4 Invoke Justice (NEO) 21
4 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Roadside Reliquary (NEO) 272
2 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38

Sideboard
3 Knockout Blow (SNC) 20
3 The Fall of Lord Konda (NEO) 12
1 Intrepid Adversary (MID) 25
1 Knockout Blow (SNC) 20
1 Intrepid Adversary (MID) 25
1 Serra Paragon (DMU) 32
2 Cemetery Protector (VOW) 6
2 Enduring Angel (MID) 17
1 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ariong posted:

My opponent just used the Scorpion God's effect on one of my creatures. The creature had several +1/+1 counters on it, but its toughness was reduced to 1 by damage. The Scorpion God's effect destroyed one of its counters, turning it into an x/0 creature, killing it. What I did not expect was that, when this happened, this triggered the Scorpion God's ability and caused my opponent to draw a card. Can someone explain this rules interaction?

-1/-1 counters and +1/+1 counters on the same creature are removed as a state-based effect. However, if the creature dies during the same state-based effect check, it dies with the -1/-1 counters still on it.

The exact rule is 704.8. If a state-based action results in a permanent leaving the battlefield at the same time other state-based actions were performed, that permanent’s last known information is derived from the game state before any of those state-based actions were performed.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 10, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I took the Tergrid Historic Brawl deck posted by OneHandClapping, and made Gutmorne the commander instead. It's hilarious - half the cards in each player's hand will be something that belongs to the other player. Sometimes a single crappy card will ping-pong between the players for several turns as I keep playing "each player discards a card" effects.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gutmorn in Brawl is one of my favourite decks ever. The funniest thing with his ability is to discard Doom Blade or Power Word Kill so that my opponent gets a useless card that can't kill him. I wish Historic had Terror in it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bugsy posted:

Pretty sure we just played each other if your mtga name is the same. Playing Delina wild mage.

GG's

Yeah! Your Delina deck is sweet, dice-rolling is another one of my favourite things in Magic. You had a well-earned win.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I should have played more Bo3 before this qualifier tournament. A game with 20,000 gems on the line is a really bad time to learn that Arena doesn't give you priority during your end step after your opponent casts an instant

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

T1 Ancient Tomb, Simian Spirit Guide, Furnace Punisher. Let's see who dies first, motherfucker.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This deck is the real deal. I keep getting situations where I'm trying to figure out my sequencing and then realize "My opponent's tapped out and I can deal 20 damage for three mana right now."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

81 cards in exile due to my opponent's Ulamog. 0 cards in my library. I win.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has anyone managed to get a win with Door to Nothingness in draft yet?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

7-2 with this. The format is young, some people are not prepared yet for getting run over with 3/1 two-drops.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Urza, Planeswalker kicked my rear end even though I had my opponent completely dead on board before the meld. Good card.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had some really fun games with an incredibly bomby deck. Keening Stone ruined my opponent's day every time it showed up.

With 20 cards left in my library, I topdecked the Keening Stone and milled my opponent for the win while I was dead on board.

My opponent had no cards left, and attacked with Platinum Angel for six turns while I tried to draw an answer. Eventually, Gaea's Gift appeared. That card really can do everything.

Despite drafting Phyrexian Thoughtgorger and Keening Stone, my deck went 6-3. I had a loss to mana screw, another to Yotian Dissident, and another to Portal to Phyrexia.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Continuing to iterate on this, tightened up the list:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/N4KuJvWqE02oyaZ-Wlgydg

Decided to commit to Titania as a 4-of, even if she is not threatening to meld she is still an absolute removal magnet so having spares has always been useful, and I can always pitch extras to Restoration of Eiganjo. I don't think I want any more Argoths, though; that has never been the constraint to melding since Blanchwood will catch them, and Paragon will allow me to dig them out. Meanwhile I keep on running out of basics for the fetchlands and Restoration lol. I have cut the high end and focused on Titania/Paragon as the axis of the deck, as I think the best way to deal with UW (both soldiers and control) is just to accelerate as fast I can? Biggest learning from today's testing: Dennick's graveyard seal will stop Kirin's ability but not Paragon's, since it doesn't target graveyard cards :getin:

This looks really fun, but I'm skeptical about the low number of Argoths. How many games do you have where you have 11 basic lands and need a 12th to win? That seems rarer than the games where you simply can't find Argoth to flip Titania.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm pretty sure this is the worst group of rares I've ever had in a sealed pool.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kashuno posted:

Eternal Wanderer + Urabrask's Forge + 4 blanks is incredibly good

I'm very light on white and red playables. I could try to go three-colour, or I could accept that I got a bunch of good green and black uncommons and try to make that work. Currently trying the latter strategy, but I'll also see if I can win games with my bombs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've been playing this Simic Tempo deck that I got off MTG Decks, and holy poo poo it's fun. This is the most complicated Standard deck I've ever played, but it can pull a win out of nowhere. I've had games against mono-red where I'm at 1 life, they're at 20, and they have more creatures on the board, and I still manage to stall them long enough to kill them with a couple of 2/1 flyers.

4 Combat Research
2 Shore Up
4 Slip Out the Back
2 Spell Pierce
4 Tamiyo's Safekeeping
4 Venerated Rotpriest
2 Ledger Shredder
4 Stormchaser Drake
4 Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief
4 March of Swirling Mist
4 Tyvar's Stand
6 Island
4 Forest
1 Otawara, Soaring City
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
4 Forest
4 Dreamroot Cascade
1 Thornwood Falls
4 Yavimaya Coast
1 Thran Portal

It's important to mulligan to a hand that has a creature - this deck mulligans well. In most matchups, you should always cast creatures with one mana open to protect them, so it'll feel like you're a turn behind your opponent, but once you get going with Rotpriest + Ivy or Stormchaser + Ivy, you will win. When I started with this deck I couldn't win in Silver, now I'd say I 50% understand it and I'm rising through Platinum.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Psychatog mirrors back in Odyssey standard were ludicrous. Both players could end up with a hand of one Psychatog and six counterspells, and enough lands in play to fire off all of them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

scytale posted:

So I just lost an event game to someone taking advantage of the Ninja's Kunai bug. I put in a ticket about it because gently caress that guy. I see they are pretty good about refunding stuff for drafts, do they do the same for events? Was my third loss.

Yeah, when there's a bug that breaks things, in my experience they're good about refunding everyone who gets affected. I just played a few games with a Ninja's Kunai deck because it's funny, but I wouldn't do it in an event.

Ariong posted:

Also, while I’m asking questions, can anyone offer any insight as to why my newly minted stupid and terrible Emrakul hbrawl deck is getting matched up against nothing but 4 and 5 color commander decks that run all the best cards in the game?????? I swear to god I’ve played like 15 matches with this deck and no more than 3 were against a deck with less than three colors. This deck is dogshit! Why am I getting matchups like I’m playing Golos?

I think when they put a certain commander in Hell Queue, it doesn't matter how good the accompanying deck is.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My opponent played some Kethis nonsense that milled himself out and milled me out on the same turn. He said Good Game, I said it back, and hit him with Ancestral Recall during my upkeep.

On that note, Oracle of the Alpha is incredible in my Tainted Pact deck. If I manage to play it with half my library already exiled, all the better.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chris Chichester posted:

Do you mind sharing your list? Tainted pact is a guilty pleasure and I enjoy trying out new configurations.

Here's the list. It's not really built around Oracle of the Alpha, it's a typical Pact list that happens to include it. Cards like Saiba Syphoner are meant to reuse Tainted Pact, but they can certainly recycle Time Walk as well.

Deck
2 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
1 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) 207
1 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
1 Arcane Proxy (BRO) 75
1 Oracle of the Alpha (Y23) 4
1 Obscura Interceptor (SNC) 209
1 Diviner of Fates (Y22) 22
1 Saiba Syphoner (Y22) 11
1 Portable Hole (AFR) 33
1 Supreme Verdict (RTR) 201
1 Wrath of God (AKR) 46
1 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
1 Divine Purge (Y22) 4
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Inquisition of Kozilek (STA) 31
1 Go Blank (STX) 72
3 Tainted Pact (STA) 33
1 Censor (AKR) 52
1 Fatal Push (KLR) 84
1 Cling to Dust (THB) 87
1 Void Rend (SNC) 230
1 Opt (STA) 19
1 Bind to Secrecy (Y22) 19
1 Archmage's Charm (MH1) 40
1 Snapcaster Mage (SIS) 23
1 Consider (MID) 44
1 Fragment Reality (Y22) 4
1 Power Word Kill (AFR) 114
1 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
1 Sublime Epiphany (M21) 74
1 Painful Bond (Y22) 12
1 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
1 Plains (ANA) 23
1 Island (ANA) 9
1 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
1 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
1 Underground River (BRO) 267
1 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Brightclimb Pathway (ZNR) 259
1 Clearwater Pathway (ZNR) 260
1 Hengegate Pathway (KHM) 260
1 Seachrome Coast (ONE) 258
1 Darkslick Shores (ONE) 250
1 Concealed Courtyard (KLR) 282
1 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
1 Irrigated Farmland (AKR) 304
1 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
1 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
1 Fetid Pools (AKR) 293
1 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
1 Forsaken Crossroads (Y22) 63
1 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
1 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

Sideboard
1 Negate (STA) 18
1 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
1 Disdainful Stroke (SNC) 39
1 Break Expectations (Y22) 26
1 Spell Pierce (NEO) 80
1 Tempted by the Oriq (STX) 58
1 Thieving Skydiver (ZNR) 85
1 Thought Distortion (M20) 117
1 Soul-Guide Lantern (THB) 237
1 Undercity Plunder (Y22) 15
1 Temporary Lockdown (DMU) 36
1 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
1 The Scarab God (AKR) 259
1 March of Otherworldly Light (NEO) 28
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212

Chamale fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 28, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Mana screw in paper is a necessary evil, but it does feel particularly bad on Arena. Two games in a row where I got stuck on two lands while my opponent scooted ahead and never got back the tempo.

Would be neat if they added the whole land smoothing to ranked BO1 games. "If player has 24 lands, ensure they at least draw 3 of them in the first four turns". Otherwise it's just really not much of a game.

fwiw, also feel this going the otherway. Feels bad beating someone when they get stuck on one or two lands. None of the text options feel appropriate for that situation - saying "Nice!" when someone finds their three drop feels a bit too sarcastic.

BO1 Ranked does have hand smoothing. They've officially confirmed this. I've played a deck exploiting the fact that as long as you have 12 lands, you're nearly guaranteed to get two of them in your first eight cards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A good player with a weird deck will win almost as much as a good player with a good deck. You should play the deck you enjoy, and with practice, it'll become the best deck for you.

I'm having so much fun with my Oracle of the Alpha/Tainted Pact deck. I have to jump through some hoops, but when it goes right, I'm playing a Vintage deck while my opponent is still playing Historic. I replaced one land with Hall of Storm Giants, because that's a win condition when I'm looping Time Walk enough.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I got suspended for a week for winning two games with the Ninja's Kunai bug, so they are cracking down on it. I wonder if people who used it more than that are getting longer suspensions.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have 20,000 gems and I would spend a lot of them on the Rebecca Guay full-art basics that were available in the store for like one week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When Bloodbraid Elf was in Standard, Jund Midrange was so dominant that some players ran 26 lands because the only way you could ever lose was by getting mana screwed.