Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Dominaria United Limited Primer

Kicker:

If you've never played with kicker before, it's very strong. It gives you flexibility; it's cheap when you need something cheap, but later in the game you get something more powerful out of the same card. DMU puts a unique twist on it, making kicker costs be a different color. You really want to be in both colors because if you're just getting a two mana 2/2 every time, that's just a below-rate card. There's a decent amount of fixing though, so you can do things like put a small number of blue sources in your green deck to kick Vineshaper Prodigy some of the time.

Kicker is evenly distributed color-wise, each color has four kicker cards at common (one with each other color in it's kicker cost) and four at uncommon (same). Green has a lot of fixing though which makes it better at utilizing those kicker costs.

Archetypes:

While the archetypes of most sets are split into 10 color pairs, this set focuses more on giving each color a singular thing to build around. Your two color decks will be an overlap of those two synergies. For example:

White cares about making tokens. Black cares about sacrifice. So white/black gold cards want you to sacrifice lots of tokens. Blue cares about spells, so blue/white cards will reward you for casting spells and making tokens. And so on.

White: Tokens/Enlist

White is good at making a bunch of 1/1s. The payoffs are mostly found in the gold uncommons.

Blue: Instants/Sorceries

Usually it's just U/R that cares about spells but here every blue pair is going to like cheap instants/sorceries that give you a redraw. The common blue cards honestly look pretty weak on their own; like white you should be looking to your gold cards for your power.

Black: Graveyard/Sacrifice

Black does a lot of different things here, there's cards where you sacrifice creatures, cards where you self-mill, and cards that care about what's in your graveyard. How exactly those things get you ahead will depend on your second color. White give you tokens for lots of sacrifice fodder, green gives you big creatures that your black cards get back from your graveyard, etc. Also you have a bunch of removal as usual.

Red: Aggro

Red says I don't care what synergy we're doing, let's get people dead. Their commons lean aggressive and the gold uncommons take the synergy of your secondary color and converts it into damage.

Green: Domain/Big Boys

I'm not very high on domain. You have to put off-color lands in your deck, plus cards that can find those lands, and hope that your payoffs outweigh all the risk you've taken on. Domain has the side benefit of allowing splashes though, which is a big deal in this set since all of the kicker costs in the set require a different color. There's a cycle of 10 dual lands with basic land types, which green some extra use out of, getting a potential +2 types for your domain cards.

Alternatively, we could just cast creatures that are bigger than our opponent's creatures, and then attack with them. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Top Commons in no particular order:

Kind of a short list, everything afterwards is pretty contextual.

Good luck, have fun!

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

White, Blue, Red all look great and black's commons fall WAY off a cliff after Extinguish the Light and Phyrexian Rager. Green also exists I suppose.

These are my tier two black commons that i think look pretty good (last two only if you can kick them). I don't see the giant haymakers and insane value engines like we've seen in the last few sets, so cards that are just good at attacking/blocking are going to be more valuable than they were in innistrad/kamigawa/capenna.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Dominaria United Limited Primer

i'd like to apologize to anyone i misled by suggesting that you would be drafting a "color pair". after my first draft i haven't drafted anything less than three colors

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

You want to be in 2 colours with a splash for kicker costs? That's what felt good for me.

most of my opponents have been 3-5 colors

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin posted:

most of my opponents have been 3-5 colors

fyi all of these have looked something like this:

this one managed to 3-0. just load your deck with 2-for-1s, high rarity cards, and whatever lands you can get your hands on

maybe in best of one the hand smoother lets aggressive two color decks get underneath their opponent but all of my losses in best of three are vs better multicolor greed decks or u/r spells

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I do not care if micromancer ends up being the #1 best card in DMU somehow, my brain’s wired to tell me that card is stone unplayable and I will never ever play it.

it's gas. the existence of kicker means there's a lot of powerful effects that meet the "technically has mv 1" criteria

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Any advice on this draft pool?

Kind of an embarrassment of UR riches, including 5(!) Lightning Strikes (probably could have passed up the last one, to be honest). Was hoping for another Wx dual land but never got it. Should I bother including the Serra Paragon, or is it the casting cost too onerous for a splash?

always play all of your lightning strikes. if you draw too many then just kill your opponent instead of their creatures

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

How bout this draft?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/4df31081db7044668f1590ac06c91f4a

I feel like taking out the red cards is the right call (though with the red kickers I'm still splashing red so maybe Sprouting Goblin at least is worth it) but it leaves me kinda light on 2 drops and maybe a little over-represented on 1s? BUt I feel like Combat Research is worth it with a couple of reasonable fliers, and the 1-drop non-permanents are there fore Micromancer.

The draft was pretty ew, annoyingly. Opening with Jhoira, and seeing two of the lords, as well, red and white, red being pretty much useless and white being unplayable with the cards I had at the time. Finishing a draft with 0 rare/mythic cards feels so bad, but I think/hope I might have made up for it in uncommons.

I'm 9/15 in DMU limited so far, but even if this one tanks I'll have another run tomorrow.

p1p5: micromancer has better 17lands stats than geyser
p1p9: scavenger sucks rear end, if you want a 3/2 that gives you card selection automatic librarian is the same card only colorless and goes super late. You probably don't end up playing yavimaya sojurner but it's a solid hedge card.
p1p13: do not pass micromancer. you got handed a huge gift here and fumbled it
p2p5: research doesn't play well with what you have going on. rainbow decks with tons of value cards are usually playing defense early and won't often have free unblockable attacks
rest seems fine but you probably want to take lands or other fixing sources a little more aggressively

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 8, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Boxman posted:

I'm sure my draft has plenty to be savaged, but this could be a fun, smaller game. What's the P1P2? All of them have similar win rates according to Limited Grades.

I ended up with Tolarian Geyser, which, thinking about it, is probably wrong because UG isn't a great color pair and GB is far more solid. I ended up in GB, and the hard removal would have been nice. So it goes.

If it needed saying, P1P1 was rough. Rare was Phasing of Zhalfir, uncommons were that, coalition skyknight, and Baird, notable commons were Soultender, Bite Down, Impulse, and Phyrexian Rager (either of those last two might've been better picks, but I feel more comfortable in green, and think its just a more flexible color to start in. And I don't think they blow strength of the coalition out of the water).

I like geyser here, it's a little more flexible because a 3+ color deck might have trouble with the BB cost. Rager would have been a much better pick than what you took. Might is gas but there's a lot of good combat tricks in the set and you can afford to wait until you see one later in a pack.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 8, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another quick 0-3. I never cast Jaya and the only time Devastator came out it was on defense and immediately phased out by F-tier card Zhalfir so opp could swing in for lethal. I am not going to post anything that makes people feel bad but I am inventing new ways to punt, this time it was casting Timely interference trying to get a Lookout to block my Haunting Figment and then realizing that casting instants made the Figment unblockable lol

I am trying to take turns as slow as possible and rope on almost every combat step but, well

looking at your draft for some things that could have been done differently:

p1p2: Phyrexian Espionage has better 17lands stats than Bulwark and is a more flexible card in terms of the number of potential decks that want it. Don't let the kicker cost fool you, any blue deck is happy to play it and in u/r is does a great job of triggering your spells matters cards while digging you to more spells.

p1p8: I'm on figment here. It's a great card in u/r and the defenders deck needs Wingmantle Chaplain to function. You need to be very hesitant about defender cards if you don't have a copy of that card yet.

p2p4: It's time to commit to u/r here and take figment. You've got a solid blue rare and saw a lot of blue commons late in pack 1 even if you didn't pick them. Meanwhile white dried up real bad. Also u/r is just a stronger color pair than w/r.

p3p6: Why are you not taking battlewing mystic here? Big punt imo.

Feels like you needed to have more confidence in switching from w/r to u/r. You had a shot at some low curve aggressive cards that might have helped with your problem of falling behind early in that one game. Committing to blue earlier would have let you drop all those dumpy defend cards for cards that were aggressive and more on-plan.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e491b814ec6b4a778c1b1a044a942fc3

Any suggestions on this one? I feel like blue was probably open pack 1 but I was pretty well committed by that stage. I think the deck's built pretty OK, but whether to include one or both of the branchrunners without green to pump it is maybe a question?

I dont think you have the mana fixing or the power level to justify three colors. Id cut white, branchrunner is pretty bad but the rest of your red pumps/tricks in the look solid.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

babypolis posted:

none of the defilers are bad but the only spectacular one is the green one, the rest are just kinda mediocre and should not be picked highly.

They're all above rate creatures with additional upside. Aside from the white one you should probably be taking them above every common/uncommon

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

babypolis posted:

im pretty sure thats not true. like just looking at their winrates, only the green one has a pretty high one at 61.9. then red is sitting at a respectable 60%, but still lower than many uncommons and even some commons. the rest range from ok (58% range for the white and black ones) to actually kinda bad for the blue one at 56.4% (not surprising given the lack of blue permanents). i was slightly too dismissive of them but besides the green one they arent really bomb rare status. 2 pips of mana is just a big ask in this format and they ask for things most decks dont want to do (play a lot of permanents of a single color)

Ive actually drafted the red one a bunch and its always kind of just there because if im going deep into red im probably in UR, which doesnt actually want to play many red permanents. every time it was basically a 4 mana 4/4 first strike which is pretty solid but also not something im going nuts for. id much rather pick a strong uncommon that actually gives me some direction

Oops, i guess the blue one isn't actually above rate, I had it confused with that other blue rare that's bigger and has ward. First strike is a really nasty keyword though, u/r doesn't have many permanents but there's lots of ways to increase it's power further or damage something during combat. I'm surprised the black one is so low, a trigger means that you need 4 blockers to stop yourself from taking damage.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 9, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How many Essence Scatters should one play

one or two. It's a good cheap card but you don't want to find yourself in spots where your opponent sneaks in a cheap nasty card like nishoba brawler and you're staring at a hand full of cards that can't block or answer something that's already on the board.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Next up is this one: https://www.17lands.com/deck/9f52c19f01914d879caa912bffee896c - any suggestions? I think with the amount of 1/1s and 2/2s I can generate, the green splash for Zar Ojanen is worth it, but cutting the greent entirely and swapping in more go wide aggro is definitely an option.

Don't cut Argrivian Cavaliers, it's a top performing common for white. I'd cut phoenix for it, a 1/1 can't block sucks and it's going to come back a lot less often than you think. Zar does not seem like it's going to be castable often but it's got a high ceiling and the only thing you could swap it for is the Coalition Warbrute which is actually pretty decent.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
P1p3: I think espionage plays better with what you have so far plus it's stats are better than baird.

P1p4 Swarm isn't a strong card and doesn't play well with your pool so far. Id be on land or maginoth sentry. If you want to build around baird instead then destroy evil and keldon strike team are both high winrate cards.

P1p5-p1p8 are all just bad cards you're taking over lands to fuel your domain stuff. Third path in particular is dog poo poo.

Pack two i just can't follow what you're trying to build towards.

To avoid being completely negative: I do think you built the best deck out of the pool you had at the end (deck 1 i mean). Looks like you got frustrated and tried to make your deck greedier but the problem was just too many burned picks in the draft.

quote:

I'm new to drafting and feel like I don't have much understanding of which cards are good.

Next draft, open up 17lands card ratings beforehand and spend the first few picks picking out 3--5 cards that look good and checking out their stats (game in hand is the best number to look at). A lot of cards play out differently from how they read and if you're not sure, you don't have to be guessing.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 10, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Levin posted:

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/321b76711e4c442dbcc5b423446bf69b
Pool: https://sealeddeck.tech/MHdpkGGODA

Having a rough go the last few drafts and could use some input. I'm somewhat satisfied with the draft but wonder if I'm undervaluing tap lands or should have committed to two colours more. I'm struggling with brewing the deck, leaning towards GUb but I think a case can be made for UWb or 4c...

edit: Lands aren't right in screenshot, Imgur is being difficult so can't correct

p1p7: this would have been a good spot to take a land. bite down is good but not great, it's awkward in u/g because you don't have many cheap high power creatures, and you want be able to cast a 5 drop and bite down in the same turn

based on what we're seeing late in pack 1 it's pretty clear we need to abandon u/g. we're not seeing lands at all late, and a domain deck needs lands to function.

p2p4: we're seeing white signals and we're seeing blue signals, perfect time to change lanes and go with destroy evil. feels awful passing tatyova but if we make room for her our deck will either be too inconsistent or two weak when we don't draw her
p2p5: could have been take up the shield instead of a land
p3p6: could have been drake

i would have ended up in a streamlined u/w deck (which you still might be able to pull off). If you go with your domain build you're going to have high highs but also lots of draws where you don't do anything. you really should be playing clockwork librarian in that deck. when you have bad mana a colorless card that scries will do a lot of work keeping you alive and helping you hit your colors

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Levin posted:

Thanks so much Little Munchkin, very helpful suggestions! What do you think of this build: https://sealeddeck.tech/2yGp7FTMnB?

I'd cut green entirely, you don't have any green lands and they let you cut pixies as well which are just so useless on their own. stall and figment are the easy adds and the other two slots can be scavenger, impede, or one of your two walls

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Tolarian geyser is like the best common in the best colour in the set, I'd be snapping them up regardless of what my p1p1 was. I think I'd even pick it over cruelty of gix as well p1p1

Cruelty is an insane bomb, please don't pass it. It's a 3-for-1 where the three are your opponents best creature in hand, the best card in your deck, and the best creature in any gy.

In my last three trad drafts I have three match losses and every single one was because my opponent cast cruelty in two of the games. My draft before that was a 3-0 where i had a copy in my deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I'm not sure if I should play Impulse over Take up the Shield, both cards I'd be happy to draw late, with the latter ofc less always-useful tho if I don't have at least some board presence. I cut Stenn who isn't really doing much for me, could make a Geyser and/or Espionage cheaper I guess but that's about it. I could see putting Bone Splinters in as a Micromancer target, and the manabase should support it (I'm probably happy holding on to it until I get my black). Not super necessary, I think, but a consideration.

Thoughts?

TUtS is gas and impulse is filler there's not a contest there. I do think impulse is better than untimely interference, you don't have red for kicker and all your stuff is low toughness, not many combats -1 power is going to win decisively. I guess you can play just one to get a redraw out of micromancer?

I always feel like people are reading a different card when they want to play bone splinters. Its awful unless you have "free" sources of creatures. Trading two of your cards for one of your opponents is not a winning game plan.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

As for Bone Splinters, do you consider double- or triple-blocking where you trade two blockers for their big attacker also not a winning plan?

Yes, absolutely. I'm not trying to be condescending but if you're consistently finding your cards to trade for half of one of you opponent's, then you should be drafting better cards or reading signals better so you aren't forced to play bad cards.

Simply Simon posted:

It's not something you build your deck for, but it's a play I'm very willing to take to get rid of their threat. In my case, an Herbalist that scryed twice already and then got walled by their 3/3 has done everything it will ever do except chump block, and I'd rather have it feed a 1-mana-removal spell than do that.

Sure but if you're putting bone splinters in your deck without plentiful sacrifice fodder, you are in fact building your deck for making bad trades. Herbalist is exactly the kind of card i'm talking about where I just don't ever put the card in my deck so i'm not taxed into making unfavorable trades with it. Sometimes you'll draw herbalist but not your bone splinters and sometimes you draw bone splinters but nothing you can afford to lose. Or maybe you draw both but you're also drawing a few lands too many and now you're hopeless behind on cards.

Your cards should be equivalent in power level to those of your opponent's, or aggressive/proactive enough that you can get to a game state that lets you ignore things and just kill your opponent. If you're failing to do this, Bone Splinters will occasionally fix the symptom but not the cause.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I got the 3-3 lol

Event #24

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1c7ea6a6f3a745bd8ec97a11686406aa
My first 5 picks were all over the place and I don't think I saw any clear signals? Upon review I probably could have not wasted picks on blue/red cards and lands when I thought I was going for Domain, and just stick to WG. At least I thought I was open to anything I opened, but I whiffed on opening anything good in all three packs lol. Just tried to slog through with midrange creatures and removal.

Mainly got overrun by Boros charge, 3 wins felt ok for this (although one of those wins the opp gave me two time walks by missing their first two turns to AFK lol)

p1p4 could have been espionage instead of lightning strike. they have similar winrates and when i'm caught between lots of colors with no clear signals, i try to avoid adding more colors to the equation
p1p11 is your clear signal, cavalier should not be going this late
p2p4 love song of night and day is better then a land when it's clear that you're not going to have enough fixing for domain or three color stuff
p2p6 skyrider or arrest are much better than a land that doesn't really help you cast anything
p3p1:

little munchkin posted:

This pick both fails at achieving your goal of winning games, and fails at achieving your other goal of filling your collection. This card does not and will not see constructed play, so there's no actual value in obtaining one. Picking something that actually improves your deck would do more for your collection, because it maximizes the chances of winning your entry fee back (which means more drafts and more chances to open actual good rares).

You baited yourself into thinking you were drafting green/domain for reasons that aren't clear to me. Both lands and green cards were super dry in pack one. There was a solid w/u or w/r deck but those burned picks hurt you. That manabase sucks and you can't play tear asunder in a deck that does not have consistent access to black.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 20, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This makes sense.

Maybe I did it again lol

Event #25

https://www.17lands.com/draft/0480b551370d4c2a9116a3dcd3fc494b

Getting passed multiple Rona's Vortexes and Micromancer anchored me in blue even if I didn't get much else. Ivy gets to stay because I think the number of pump spells makes the chances of getting value higher? Looks like I have to run meteorite but I have enough kickers that it feels useful enough.

Filled in the rest of the deck with green beaters and stuff that benefits from Domain. White splash is probably out of the cards but I wonder if I could push black (and making Vortexes more effective)?

p1p10 i'd go for the haunted mire instead because you know you'll need green but it's not clear if you'll need u/b
p2p6: I think rootwalla's just a better card. also you're low on fixing and it's going to be very hard to hit bb
p3p1: feel like this has to be a land here
p3p5: same

looks like your deck is capable of some crazy plays but you're a little low on creature count for how many pump spells you have. if you miss on creatures or your opponent has a removal spell where pumps don't save you, it's gonna be a hard game.

some of the multicolor domain stuff wants you to be aggressive (rootwalla, gaea's might) and the rest wants you to be slow + greedy, and it's better to commit to one side or the other.

snyprmag posted:

I would run repossession over the meteorite and an extra swamp or too to really try and always have black for vortex.

yea me too, actually. you're not actually splashing for that much and meteorite doesn't help out your domain cards. plus repossession is a nice way to address the low creature count

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Speaking of defender decks, have i built this properly?

https://sealeddeck.tech/WNESFAEUEy

Id run pilfer over shadow prophecy to try and give yourself something to do on turn two. You have plenty of other stronger sources of card advantage. Otherwise looks like a strong deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

i don't normally ask for advice on drafts, but i felt like i piloted this one better than most. i found what felt like an open lane and tried to be way less greedy/rare-drafty than normal. I really tried to adhere to finding a deck identity instead of just grabbing good cards.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/e2fce49ef6cf439390a44cca818af1c2

Taking the Maro over Talas Lookout doesn't make sense to me. You're previous picks are leaning towards u/r, there's one of the best blue commons in the pack; I don't see any reason to start hedging our bets here.

Founding The Third Path is unplayable trash. You rarely have a 1-2 mana spell in your hand for chapter 1 (and if you did you could just be casting it instead of the path), and all chapter three does is let you cast a spell but with the additional setup cost of deploying the saga. None of the chapters give you a card or mana advantage. Do not play it and do not pick it so you don't bait yourself into playing it.

Otherwise draft looks fine. You saw strong u/r early in packs 1/2 saw enough stuff mid-pack to keep you in those colors, and then just didn't see anything good afterwards.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

it's a 1U Recoup, so if you have a devastatingly powerful sorcery it's ok. Still tough to wring value out of but in the right setup not the worst

Maybe its good in some constructed format but there's not a critical mass of devastatingly powerful sorceries in the limited format. If you have a rare sweeper or whatever you should be playing it alongside a good card instead of a nearly blank piece of cardboard that will only do something if you have drawn + cast your sweeper but have somehow managed to not win the game yet.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Death of Rats posted:

Could I get a draft critique please? I'm doing pretty well so far (2-0 in Traditional), but I'm knackered and thus finally have the time/patience to offer a deck for review before the draft is over.

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/3aee18da440e4a7f9ca0895e508fd373
Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/3aee18da440e4a7f9ca0895e508fd373

This format is super interesting, but it's hard as balls to actually draft well. So any feedback is greatfully accepted.

p1p2 I like talas lookout over strider and the stats agree with me. dunno why but strider rarely seems impactful for/against me
p1p5 sojurner is gas and you have a very strong incentive to be green already. prioritize good two drops over good 5 drops; every 5 drop is good so if you dont take connoisseur here you can just replace it with anything else and not notice the difference
p1p8 lookout is significantly better than leech
p2p5 rager
p3p3 rager again. we have very few spells and a few terrors already. going be a reeeal slow game if you draw multiples
p3p5 mire lets you play repossession. taking another green card means you have no fixing and can't actually case said green cards

deck: play deck two, swap uurg and a terror for splatter goblin and vivisector. your build is super greedy with only three 2 drop creatures. don't get fooled by uurg being a gold legendary uncommon, it's winrate is mid and it's a bad card to splash because when you want the lifegain or want to pump it's power you aren't going to get multiple activations in a turn

barricade is good too maybe you can make room for that. possibly cut a braids because it's a little clunky without sacrifice fodder

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
been on a hot streak lately with 5 trophies in my last 10 drafts, here's some decklists

Lands are being taken pretty early by people in the best of 3 queues so I try to avoid going too hard on mutlicolor stuff. Two main colors, a small splash, and that's all you want unless you have domain payoffs.

A common theme is graveyard recursion, phyrexian missionary is a mythic uncommon and urborg repossession is one of the best commons. The greedy decks struggle with answering big threats repeatedly and aggressive decks struggle with punching through cheap blockers repeatedly. Once you're on that kind of gameplan Eerie Soultender and Writhing Necromass get really good.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 24, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

King Keltair posted:

After some doldrum drafts, finally got an open lane this morning! Would appreciate any advice on add/drops for the final tweaks:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/98a5930e7d474c0f98484a5ec33dd06d

I'm leaving out the sabotages because the discard theme didn't come together, just playing Raven Man as a 2 drop.
The faithbonder/herbalist are duds, but my thought there is that it's safer to have five 2-drops instead of 3.
Is shadow prophecy bad if I can only get 2 domain?

3 Captain's Calls seems like it might be too much, even for this deck. I was considering dropping one, the shadow prophecy, and the faithbonder. Potentially adding back the 2nd barricade and maybe the aquifer for urborg.

I like cutting herbalist and adding gibbering barricade to help get value out of those captains calls. Prophecy for two is obviously not a good plan but you have enough defensive speed that you can get away with it. The other option would be librarian instead which is sort of like card advantage but with a body.

How about manaworker instead of faithbonder to help with kicker costs?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

precision posted:

but they run that way IRL because you're playing against people in the same pod as you, so you're looking to find "who made the best deck out of this pod", which is completely not how draft works on Arena, so why do it that way?

because it's a bad experience for low-skill drafters to get crushed every game when they could be getting paired with someone of equivalent skill and having a competitive match

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Okay, so feel free to laugh at that first pick. In a vacuum, I would of course take Mr. Orzhov, or the Arrest. However, I just came off a WB deck that underperformed, I've seen a few underperform on stream as well, I think the archetype just doesn't work for me, or as well as others. So I raredrafted! Sue me!

I could have still pivoted because that lane turned out to be cursedly, ridiculously open. But I stuck to a domain soup around a UR core with no good UR cards. It's horrific! But maybe you can see a better build for the deck through a sea of tears of laughter and/or shame.

If you're not just raredrafting p1p1 then phyrexian espionage is the strongest mono-color card.

I guess you're biased against b/w but that was the open lane. Love Song of Night and Day has a high winrate so you shouldn't sleep on in (the secret to making it good is to never choose chapter 1). You could have taken that and then gotten destroy evil on the wheel followed by knight and a bunch of take up the shields in pack 2. Hell, you could even have done that in a w/u shell.

Just gotta avoid tunnel vision a bit more. Take good cards with no color bias until you see a late card that is too good to ignore (that pack with love song and destroy evil wheeling would be what gets my attention). Even if you don't open a flashy rare, reading signals well will get you hooked up with something nice later on. If you never see a signal just try and get the fixing to allow you to cast as many of those good cards as possible.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MikeC posted:

No expert but is Talas Lookout correct as P1P2? Destroy Evil seems to be a catchall removal spell against everything that matters and is easily splashable. Double pip U on the Lookout is gonna get cut unless you are base blue no?

I'd take lookout there. Destroy Evil actually has a better winrate than lookout, but destroy is picked later in packs and gets played less, which suggests that it's not outperforming cards in a vacuum; in-the-know drafters are benefitting from getting it late.

My original comment was referring to p1p3 though, the next pack.

Olive Branch posted:

Honestly, Talas Lookout seems on even footing during the draft early, and Destroy Evil is only SLIGHTLY better in Premier Draft's BO1 data than Talas Lookout. I don't know if Destroy Evil is worth splashing as removal? I dunno, I never actually tried running it as a splash. Maybe I should, as well as Take Up the Shield on non-white decks?

It's a very good splash actually because you're not casting it on turn 2, you're casting it later in the game which gives you time to find a white source. I've splashed for TUtS in a deck that had lots of fixing, but it's riskier since that card is more timing dependent and your window may have passed by the time you topdeck a white source in the late game.

Murmur Twin posted:

I know phyrexian espionage is good but all I see when I look at it is a worse version of Probe (one of my all time favorite draft cards) and it makes me irrationally dislike it since every other card seems like a stronger version of older stuff. :eng99:

Definitely an adjustment I've had to make to modern draft sets is having a short memory. Sets are so complex nowadays that you can't really rely on history to tell you what's going to be good (vampire spawn in afr is what really taught me this lesson). People ignored espionage when the set was spoiled because divination effects haven't been good for a while. I have my theorycraft reasons for why espionage is different but the important thing is that the numbers don't lie, putting it in your deck makes you more likely to win games.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Urcher posted:

Went 0-3 with this terrible draft.

https://www.17lands.com/details/b77bda5ffff7494fb9a056fd6116e3b2

Made a play error in the third game where I forgot about Knight of Dawn's light's pump ability, otherwise I would have blocked it and died 1 turn later instead.

Suggestions for improvement very welcome.

Edit: I feel like I did a better job of picking good cards over bad cards than last time, but the deck lacked focus and I feel like I would have been better trying to stick to 2 colours with a splash instead of making a 3 colour deck.

p1p1: disagree with Simple Simon here, Tatyova is one of the top uncommons in the set and you can just think of it as a mono green card considering how easy it is for that color to splash.
p1p2: Colony isn't a good card unless you have a wingmantle chaplain in your pool already. Defenders get punished by so many things this set (big creatures, combat tricks people just 2-for-1ing you to death while you're not able to attack them. Espionage or Destroy Evil are better cards
p1p3: Baloth is just super replaceable. There's lots of big expensive creatures in green and you can just play whichever ones fall to you late. Cult Concript on the other hand is uniquely powerful as a good turn 1 play that enables cards like phyrexian warhorse and bone splinters.
p2p2: Nael is pretty mid and you just took a red mythic. This is a pretty easy Wooded Ridgeline for me. There were good u/g cards in pick 1, if you're taking something off-color instead, you need to prioritize fixing to justify that decision.
p2p3: Bog Badger is a totally acceptable curve-filler. Timely is not good if you don't care about spells and can't kick it.
p2p5: Why not the vineshaper prodigy, I'm super confused here. If you want to be playing all the colors you need to take mana fixers more often than you do.
p2p8: Maginoth Sentry is a good card in your colors and rootweaver is a bad cards that is not in your colors.
p2p11: This isn't a bad pick from you with what you have so far but seeing Elfhame Wurm this late is what I meant when i say if you want a big expensive green thing you don't need to be taking them early.
p3p1: Mossbeard Ancient looks really good here. The walls deck does not function without Wingmantle Chaplain. Without chaplain it's just too easy for them to use a removal spell on your one payoff cards and then the rest of your defenders don't do anything.
p3p3: mana fixing!!!!!! If you had taken fixing earlier you could even go with the Fire of Victory which is a house. There's even a Geyser!!! Huge unforced error here taking a defender instead.
p3p8: another prodigy! If you're going to force u/g please take the u/g cards when their presented to you. Combat research sucks. It only does something if you have good attacks, and if you have good attacks, then you're already winning and don't need the research. If you're behind though research won't contribute at all.

You're main problem was trying to draft two different decks at the same time, which left both halves undersupported. You had a good domain deck going but it kept getting derailed the walls package you were drafting at the same time. With just one Coral Colony you're not getting paid off enough for those defenders.

Also maybe you tunnel-visioned into G/U a little early due to Tatyova. Don't be afraid in this set to take a gold card and think "ok I am one of these colors, if the other color is open I'll play something else and try to splash for this.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 27, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Urcher posted:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like my main problems are not knowing/seeing which cards are good, committing too early, and undervaluing fixing. I've got enough gold on hand for another draft, I'll give it a go in the next few days.

I can't stress enough how helpful it is to pull up 17lands and look up every card you're considering for the first few picks. You have plenty of time and it's a great way to sanity-check your biases and make sure you're maximizing your odds of success. (Only caveat is to avoid this with defenders unless you have a wingmantle chaplain because that's the only reasons they have such good numbers).

I draft a ton and have been pretty successful this format but I still do it almost every draft.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 28, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess it's interesting, however, to look at the overall patterns -- two weeks ago I was on a relative hot streak (including 3 trophies) and I was beginning to think I had a handle on the format. Then this week was 5 negative drafts in a row which was enough to clean me out. I don't think I played substantially worse in the games (any mistakes I made here I would have made two weeks ago) and I consciously avoided playing on tilt, but it did feel like I kept on drafting worse decks. Is it just variance? Did I miss a turn in the metagame? Or is it just that the people left drafting the format this late are the grinders and I hit my skill wall?

Looking at your deck it seems that you're overvaluing fixing. At the end of your first pack you have 2-3 action spells, a bunch of impulses, and a bunch of lands. You could have taken Tribute to Urborg (passing this when you already have an extinguish is criminal) and some green creatures instead of those lands, realized that blue wasn't really open, and drafted a more streamlined g/b deck with a lighter blue splash. Dunno if it's not adjusting to the metagame (thinking that people will pass you tons of domain payoffs) or getting married to your first pick.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Death of Rats posted:

I would appreciate if someone could take a look at this deck and see if I should change anything around? Deck

The draft is here if anyone is interested. Kind of a weird one where Chaplain went pretty late (pick 5) but walls didn't feel easy to come by.

You could add a swamp and splash for tribute to urborg, probably cut a shore up because there's only two creatures you're interested in protecting.

Either that cut the black entirely and play all untapped lands, I don't think kicking your one copy of sleeper is worth risking mana stumbles.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Hey I want some critiques on my drafting. I feel it's a weak aspect that I want to improve on.

p1p2: 17lands disagrees with me but i'd take Tribute here. There's lots of big dumb things in the format even if maro is the biggest of dumbest of them all
p1p4: I think it's a little too early to card commit to domain, destroy evil is a lot more flexible and has a better winrate.

p2p1-p2p5: lol did you post this draftlog just to troll?
p2p6: double white is probably going to be too hard to swing
p2p10: I like marsh because it makes both of our splash colors and we are pretty light on fixing. we just don't have anything to do with blue besides +1 domain
p3p4: I'm on the land here. We got removal already but you can never have enough fixing.
p3p5: treaty is just too good to pass up (third highest winrate uncommon. Especially with two maros where treaty grows them and lets us cast one on turn 4.
p3p7: land again, we're scarce on blue

draft looks pretty good, only glaring error is passing up that treaty. look how badly your final build wants some ramp spells

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Brother's War limited primer time:

Powerstones

Powerstones are everywhere, and there's tons of ways to use them. All of the prototype and unearth cards are artifacts, and remember that you can use them to pay for activated abilities (they've helpfully put some expensive activation costs at common). Outside of providing mana, there's also a bunch of artifact synergies and cards that let you sacrifice artifacts for value. These look to be really strong, unless you're very aggressive you're probably going to want some kind of powerstone package in your deck.

Prototype

Prototype is a glorified kicker mechanic, you get a big expensive creature but also a small cheaper variant for earlier in the game. Not all of them read as strong cards but flexibility is always good, you always get to use the half that's strongest in the game you're playing.

There's a lot of prototype creatures, and the uncommons look quite scary when cast as their bigger half. These look like they'll be pretty meta-defining. You're either going to want to have your own prototypes, answers to your opponent's big prototypes, or be fast enough that you can kill your opponent before they can cast 7+ mana creatures.

Unearth

Unearth isn't as deep or powerful as prototype/powerstones but there's a lot of cards with the keyword and they're in every color. Unearth does two different things, it gives you an attacker for a turn (although not every unearth creature is going to be able to attack well by the time you dig it up), and it usually gives you some kind of enter-the-battlefield ability or other source of value.

Think of these as mana sinks, once you've cast all the cards in your hand and have nothing else to spend your mana on, you can dig up these things. The synergies of the set makes these a little better than face value; they're all artifacts, lots of cards are going to care about artifacts entering or leaving play, and an unearth creature will do that twice. There's ways to sacrifice creatures/artifacts, so you can set up a turn where you unearth, attack, and then sacrifice. Also there's a cycle of cards at common that mill yourself (plus some bonus self mill in green and black), and those cards can put a unearth card into your graveyard for free.

Color pair archetypes

If you've drafted any recent sets you probably know the deal. U/R is non-creature spells, B/R is sacrificing things, G/B is graveyard shenangians, etc. etc. U/W is soldiers I guess so that's new.

I'm not going to spend any time discussing these because they're honestly not super supported. So much real estate is taken up by powerstones and artifact cards that there's not many archetype-specific commons, and the ones that exist are mostly lower tier. So take the gold uncommons as a suggestion, you'll often be focusing on the broad artifact synergies more than what the signpost cards tell you to do.

Other little things:

Each pack is going to have one "retro artifact" card that's a reprint from older sets. If you remember the mystical archive from Strixhaven, it's basically the same thing. The rarities are uncommon/rare/mythic, most of the really busted stuff is at rare/mythic but there's a few strong uncommons. Given all of the artifact synergies, and the fact that all of the retro artifacts are colorless (meaning that every single one of them is going to be "in your colors"), these are going to be pretty impactful. I've included a few of the top uncommons to look for, and also scrap trawler which is going to be bonkers with all of the artifacts your deck is going to have.

Very little fixing is in the set. No dual lands outside of rare, at common there's evolving wilds plus energy refractor which gives rainbow mana at a cost. You'll rarely have the means to splash so don't treat this like DMU where you could just grab any off-color rare you see and figure out a way to play it later. Draft responsibly, try and stick to two colors. There's also a cycle of uncommons that reward mono color decks, that plus the high number of colorless cards means that being mono-colored could be a thig.

As you might assume with an artifact set, naturalize/disenchant effects can be played in the main deck, and may be high picks during the draft. With prototype in the format, there's going to be plenty of high-impact artifacts for you to kill.

Top commons in no particular order:

Removal and powerstones seem to be the common theme here. Really the commons are just kind of weak overall, so if uncommons/rares matter a lot, the best commons are going to be ones that help cast your money cards ahead of schedule, or cleanly answer your opponent's. Red only gets one (the three mana kill an artifact sorcery might belong here though) but it's a banger, probably the best common in the set.

glhf

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 10, 2022

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
my first arena draft finished 3-0:

did a paper draft as well yesterday. my take on the format is powerstones are bonkers, giant artifact creatures and mightstones automations are good because they combo with powerstones, and all the cheap artifacts that give you redraws are solid, it's not hard at all to find some kind of use for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Toozler posted:

Scatter rays just meh?

it's good i just didn't have room for more!

drafted again and pulled another 3-0

https://www.17lands.com/draft/c90ee47208de4b73acfd26ae9af759b2

In retrospect the sigil of valor should have been goring warbrute instead.