Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Is it worth playing the lands that are tapped if you have two or less in a two-color aggro deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

If you're playing an aggro deck you really don't want any lands that always ETB tapped if you can help it. Ideally you're playing creatures on turns 1, 2, and 3 at least so the earliest you'd be "fine" with a tapland is turn 4, when you don't need it.

Of course YMMV between particular decklists, but tl;dr--no, don't play taplands in aggro decks.

edit: I suppose in theory the ETB tapped manlands might be okay for aggro decks to get around sweepers, but no more than two of those. I also haven't played standard in a quick minute so I don't know if there's any good manlands for aggro right now, this is more just a general statement.

I meant the Sundown Pass cycle, I don't know if they have a nickname or something.

edit: i guess if they'd be bad on turns 1 and 2 that probably answers the question anyway.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 1, 2023

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I considered asking the thread for advice on my FTP standard deck I made but then I realized I don't actually want any criticism, I just want to show people my cool deck, so I'm just going to do that

Boros Roles
Deck
2 Spellbook Vendor (WOE) 31
6 Plains (LTR) 263
2 Charming Scoundrel (WOE) 124
4 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
8 Mountain (LTR) 269
4 Embereth Veteran (WOE) 127
4 A Tale for the Ages (WOE) 34
2 Archon of the Wild Rose (WOE) 1
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
3 Goddric, Cloaked Reveler (WOE) 132
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Restless Bivouac (WOE) 257
3 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
1 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
2 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
3 Etali's Favor (LCI) 149
4 Twinblade Geist (VOW) 40
2 Ash, Party Crasher (WOE) 201
2 Heartflame Duelist (WOE) 228
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276

Positive comments only please

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

I built it and played a few games in the standard play, seems fun. I went +1 Charming Scoundrel, -1 ATftA and slightly different lands just to suit what was already in my collection.

Yeah, I think I'd play 4 each of Scoundrel and Spellbook Seller if I had them, but I've been waffling on how much I want to invest in this vs historic brawl

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

The standard dinosaur deck feels pretty easy to rush down so long as they fail to draw two or more copies of the 3 mana 6/6, so I would appreciate if my opponents would go back to doing that

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I think there were mulligan odds-knowers in this thread, what are the chances of winning on a mull to four? I just pulled it off and it felt amazing.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

hosed up that Time is one of the best players in Timeless

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I'm messing around in timeless bo1 (low platinum) with a monoblack deck with Lurrus and as many bowmasters as I could craft, it's been pretty fun so far

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (MUL) 116

Deck
2 Dead Weight (LCI) 99
21 Swamp (LTR) 267
2 Duress (STA) 29
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
4 Shambling Ghast (HBG) 167
3 Bitter Triumph (LCI) 91
4 Mishra's Bauble (BRR) 34
4 Stitcher's Supplier (M19) 121
4 Hopeless Nightmare (WOE) 95
3 Orcish Bowmasters (LTR) 103
3 Skullcap Snail (LCI) 119
2 Stalactite Stalker (LCI) 122
3 Unearth (2X2) 96
4 Scorn-Blade Berserker (MOM) 124

any obvious commons or uncommons to add once I build up some more wildcards?

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 15, 2023

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

fadam posted:

Fatal Push is pretty well positioned right now, hits a lot of the most annoying/powerful creatures. I would swap your Dead Weights for them at minimum.

Unless I'm missing some synergy, I don't think Bauble is worth it if you can't take advantage of the card type. It just makes your mulligans a bit harder I think.

Bauble works with Lurrus and the Stalactite Stalkers, but I haven't really been short on things to cast with Lurrus I guess.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

What's titi?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I've once again fallen into the brain trap were I threw together a deck to gently caress around thinking it would win like 30% of its games but instead it won 60% or something* and now losses have gone from the expected result to a failure that needs to be analyzed and it gets way harder to enjoy playing

*Not playing with any kind of stat tracker but I've gone from low plat to 3 ticks from diamond

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

edit: nm

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I just went with unga bunga white lifegain, seemed good

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Has anybody tried out Souls of the Lost in timeless? I want to but for some reason I'm incapable of opening them and my rare wildcards are spread pretty thin.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

what are people sneaking, since there's no Archon of Cruelty or big-girl Emrakul, the Aeons Torn?

Mostly Atraxa in my experience

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I've bought two mythic packs for Wilds of Eldraine cause I want the virtues and they both had a mythic in the bonus sheet slot, is that guaranteed?

e: I guess not, bought another and got an uncommon

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I'm messing around with a Junk Winder deck in timeless right now, feels like it can compete so far

Deck
4 Voldaren Epicure (VOW) 182
3 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
4 Oni-Cult Anvil (NEO) 230
1 Mountain (LTR) 269
4 Spyglass Siren (LCI) 78
2 Island (LTR) 265
4 Junk Winder (MH2) 48
4 Gleeful Demolition (ONE) 134
1 Flooded Strand (KTK) 233
3 Metallic Rebuke (KLR) 56
4 Polluted Delta (KTK) 239
2 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
4 Bloodstained Mire (KTK) 230
1 Swamp (LTR) 267
2 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant (AFR) 258
1 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Hard Evidence (MH2) 46
4 Orcish Bowmasters (LTR) 103
1 Blood Fountain (VOW) 95
3 Springleaf Drum (BRR) 55
2 Warhost's Frenzy (DMU) 151
1 Mirrex (ONE) 254

Are there any more low cost cards that can generate more tokens than their mana value besides Gleeful Demolition and Hard Evidence?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying out Alchemy, why are all the red decks maindecking twisted fealty? Are there no control decks in this format?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Just lived the Evil Timmy dream of setting a Mythweaver Poq deck back to two lands with Chandra, Hope's Beacon + Howl of the Horde + Seismic Shift

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

why is arena's auto tapping so lovely

I think the main thing is it prioritizes holding up activated abilities of permanents on the field over mana for cards in hand, which leads to a lot of stupid interactions with abilities on mana sources. It also really doesn't want you to take damage off painlands if you don't have to.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

It didn't use my cavern of souls for the specific creature I named.

Like, didn't tap it at all. Not even for colourless. Only land untapped, literally nothing to do with open mana. I was so stunned I actually checked all of my cards 3 times, because of course it for countered and that lost me the round

Huh, I haven't seen that one. Yeah, that sucks rear end.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I've done it... I've become a "mythic gamer"

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 19, 2024

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

fadam posted:

Congrats!

Thanks!

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Eej posted:

I don't know how slow Standard is right now but 4 mana do nothing doesn't scream wild to me

Seems like it could be a pretty decent payoff for a Kodama/Invigorating Hot Spring deck

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

The RW tokens deck is the main deck I play in standard ranked and it isn't that bad for rarity; no necessary mythics (although cavern of souls is quite helpful) and the only really uncuttable rares are Knight-Errant of Eos and Sanguine Evangelist. I don't have the bunnies so I just play with Sunshot Militias instead, for example.

I've only cast the enchantment side of Virtue once and I lost that game. You could swap out Warden of the Inner Sky for more Lunarch Veterans and probably do better against monored.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

If we disallow roping then we don't get to do my favorite thing, which is rope people who don't have actual win conditions aside from recurring Depopulate every turn, because that's what I did yesterday.

Literally the only people I rope are people trolling.

You can concede the game at any time

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Just found out from the midweek magic that it's really easy not to target a spell with Repulsive Mutation so be careful of that, limited players

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I guess the idea is that the slimes are sorceries so that they become evidence right away but it's a shame they don't synergize very well with descend

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I do not like the Magic card "Temporary Lockdown"

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Weird scenario I ran into in limited just now; I had multiple creatures die under Illicit Masquerade, one of which was a disguised Defenestrated Phantom. I had another Defenestrated Phantom already in my graveyard. The first trigger was from the Phantom that died on field, which I used to target the Phantom in my yard. The second trigger saw both of the phantoms, and I wasn't sure how to tell which one I had already targeted from the selection screen. Is the most recent one go into the graveyard on the right? That's what I guessed and it seemed to work out, but the cards were arranged in mana value order.

e: Also thank you to my fellow bronze/silver drafters and the shuffler for letting me draft all 15 rares I saw and still go 6-3

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 12, 2024

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I wish they'd save set constructed for a bit later in the format so I at least had 4 of some non-reprinted commons and uncommons

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

It's surprising to me that Crime Novelist isn't making the cut in the goblin decks

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I hope real commander doesn't kill the Brawl queues

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Time posted:

We did it

Congrats, which format?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

If a creature has to block if able and you attack into it with a menace creature when they have a second blocker, does that force a double block or does it count as being unable to block?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I just wrote "Proft" and that worked

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

So far it hasn't seemed that hard for the UW deck to win against RW if it gets any of its infinite creature engines online. Only game I had against RW that felt really unfair was the time they drew 2 Fencing Ace 2 Monstrous Rage but That's Magic For You

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

odiv posted:

Arena just got me. I thought I was being smart by choosing a creature with Disguise to "incorporate" and then the cost to cast the creature face down was 4G instead of 3. The casting cost wasn't increased, the card gained "This spell costs 1G more to cast."

It doesn't actually cost more, the UI just lies to you

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Just had a huge close call of a misplay that fortunately my opponent didn't spot. Cast Extract a Confession into a Teysa and since they didn't have anything else on board, I figured I didn't need to collect evidence. Only once the spell was on the stack did I realize they had a Pipe they could sacrifice to make a spirit and save the Teysa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Maybe this is a scrubby opinion but I feel like Brawl would be better if they blanket banned cards that tutor the same way they do with Pithing Needle effects, feels like it goes against the spirit of singleton