Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
thanks for the new op, op. I too like Magic on the go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

First draft

Insanely open Grixis. I'm quite happy with the deck. Still lost the first game (only one so far) because they just had a bit more gas in the tank, key removal and then ultimately won in the air. But the game was fun!

Still open for suggestions of course

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

Cut Impede Momentum for Phyrexian Espionage. I also want to find room for Gibbering Barricade as a good blocker, maybe instead of Haunting Figment or 1 Shore Up?
I can see Gib vs Fig, I'm never cutting the Shore Ups, so good. But really, you'd put Espionage over Impede? I really like Impede, it's like a removal for a very long time, and I'm suprisingly light on removal. There's a lot of stuff I really want gone for a while and it seems perfect for the deck. Whereas the Espionage seems clunky and overpriced and kinda eh in general?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

The problem is you have to pick those common duals pretty highly or your domain deck won't work. But when you do that you're not picking good cards, so your deck just sucks overall. Like I'm sure some of them are just fine with domain for three, but they're not enough to build a deck out of.
Get this, you play four colors with only good cards your fixing always allows you to play (you picked land over something mediocre), and some of the good cards happen to have Domain. The rest have kicker or one colored mana costs

Captain Invictus posted:

this motherfucker has 9+ defender critters and boatloads of removal, a pseudo-constructed deck
The memes...

quote:

I mean my flooding out for SEVEN STRAIGHT TURNS didn't help but they killed the poo poo out of me with bird tokens
nvm, I can kill the poo poo out of you with almost anything if you flood like that lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What do you mean? Like, I've talked about stuff when I posted my drafts in trying to figure out the format here, what else do i need to add to justify my existence here
They are asking if you learned anything because you play a lot but it's mostly just resulting in more or less random "this time I won" and "this time I lost" reports. This coupled with you not taking the advice to go on the Discord, stream games, get live advice etc., makes you feel like a fanfiction writer who internalized "practice makes perfect" and proceeds to write 1000 pages of the worst dreck ever put to paper, then when told it's bad goes "guess I didn't write enough words".

We're all assuming you want to improve both your gameplay and your mindset, but that doesn't seem to be your actual priority. It's frustrating to see you beat yourself up again and again because I at least want to see you succeed and also chill out more and have fun with the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

What is that Discord where people will help you draft?
It should be linked in the op

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

First draft

Insanely open Grixis. I'm quite happy with the deck. Still lost the first game (only one so far) because they just had a bit more gas in the tank, key removal and then ultimately won in the air. But the game was fun!

Still open for suggestions of course
So, this went 0-3. I realized that I had made a really big mistake in not putting Sengir Connoisseur in - I was utterly convinced that I had passed it over in the draft, but welp! I didn't! I rectified the mistake for the third match, but that didn't really help.

Trip report: first game was close, but they eventually had more and bigger creatures. Second game I lost to a twincast double discard, stripping all four of my cards in hand. loving brutal. I was hit by that in the next game too, and then they cast Cruelty of Gix. There wasn't much I could do to combat that.

Overall, I'd say the key mistakes of this deck:
- not enough removal, especially considering the colors
- no real plan for the endgame except "fly over I guess", any green deck would have bigger creatures, and white more, any red win too quickly, though that's probably the best matchup
- I probably played my tricks too early, using them to kill early-game creatures, preserving mine, when I should have just traded my trash for theirs and waited patiently for big blowouts with my two Terrors.

Anyway, off to the next!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/26b977bdcd214654b832b76543a75d21

I have a much better feeling about this deck, lots of ways to win late, great amount of removal, high individual creature quality, lots of them too, and some excellent, excellent bombs. I'll have to wait to play this, looking forward to it, though.

EDIT: just realized that I mixed up Grixis and Dimir in my first post

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

studio mujahideen posted:

micromancer rules because there's a ton of great 1 cost spells and if you're blue you probably have a tolarian terror/etc anyway so even getting the lovely -1/0 cantrip is extremely worth it

it being a 3/3 just means its fairly relevant on board too.
Yeah I feel like a few years ago, Micromancer would have been a 2/2 or even 2/1 and sucked (hell, that 4 mana 2/1 get back an instant/sorc from the graveyard is standard legal and terrible), but 4 for 3/3 is not terrible and the upside specifically in this set is huge.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lol that rules

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Here's your "consider going into this color for" cards. As you can see, White and Blue have the most to offer, followed by Black. Stall for Time, Protect the Negotiators and Tolarian Geyser are also in both of those colors, so that's great!

I think an aggro UW deck with all the marked cards could go places. That's 19 playables already. Include the Vanguards, the Herbalist, and the Love Song, and you're at 23, that's a possible deck. Your curve would be insanely low, so perhaps consider playing 16 lands instead and add the Drawbridge or Academy Wall.

In this version of the deck, I'd include the Sacred Peaks on the off-chance that you can kick the Mystics, and you're good to go. Maybe another mountain, it is a pretty strong effect once you are running out of steam.

Another version of the deck adds black, for the three hard removal spells and perhaps War-Leech and Warhorse, as well as Elas il-Kor. You easily have the taplands for that, making it a simple expansion of the aggro core, though of course it means you could have more awkward draws. Much stronger in the end, though, to get through board stalls. I would also consider playing Necromass in this version, and trading aggressively.

Then we have to consider the bomb approach, of which you have Defiler of Vigor, Mossbeard Ancient, and Bonerattle. There is a great core for this deck with these cards + the marked green ones + pretty much every other green card (as permanents for the Defiler) + the same black cards discussed above, but I think a GB deck would be much weaker, and there is nothing "linking" it to your actual strongest colors. You have zero white or blue cards with a black OR green kicker. You also lose out on extremely good cards in Stall for Time, Citizen's Arrest and the blue 1cc tricks + Geyser. So my advice would be to let go of the bomb plan and just make a sicknasty aggro/tempo deck which flies and runs all over them before they can play their slow sealed 4-color pile.

EDIT: see previous page for more suggestions. I disagree with a BG plan, see above. Also everybody whining, post their pools! This is fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

kalel posted:

I disagree with your face

you're probably right
bitch

it's a free event with no consequences, they should just try both decks and see which performs better - hell, play more games after you already got your three wins just to see what makes a good Sealed deck in this format!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

Got a pretty good setup, went 3-0 in the midweek madness.

All 3 games ended with me double-kicking Archangel to get the last 6 damage I needed to win.
How in any universe did you not play Missionaries, Stall for Time, and Phalanx, all on color and fully kickable?!! You played Sleeper over Missionary?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

I am notoriously bad at all things draft and assessing what is and isn't good. I went with my gut and it got me W's. :shrug:
Congrats of course, it was just really sending me lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Any tips on this pool? I was thinking BR(U), but there's weird tension between the aggressive part of the red pool and the grindier parts of the BR pool.

https://sealeddeck.tech/1GF11KAmUd
I don't see a big argument to go into red as the secondary color, and none to play blue. However, you have excellent green cards.

I'd try something like this:

2 Bone Splinters
1 Llanowar Stalker
2 Knight of Dusk's Shadow
1 Splatter Goblin
1 Phyrexian Vivisector
1 Yavimaya Iconoclast
1 Sunbathing Rootwalla
1 Bite Down
1 Automatic Librarian
1 Lagomos, Hand of Hatred
1 Gibbering Barricade
1 Eerie Soultender
1 Deathbloom Gardener
3 Extinguish the Light
1 Defiler of Flesh
1 Magnigoth Sentry
1 Elfhame Wurm
1 Bortuk Bonerattle
1 Mossbeard Ancient

1 Wooded Ridgeline
1 Geothermal Bog
1 Haunted Mire
+ basic lands

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Network42 posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/KkeOTU1icJ

I would love someone to take a look at this sealed pool. I can see at least 3 different shards to play, or try and push for the full 5 color soup and I'm paralyzed with options.
https://sealeddeck.tech/jI1biFz1kX this speaks to me

Maybe Founding is good idk

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Any help with this draft deck? There are quite a few considerations I'm unsure about

https://sealeddeck.tech/gC5q5geCzp
Yeah it's a bit awkward, especially the curve. I would go with sth like this:
https://sealeddeck.tech/VbigOMphJu
Lighter on the white splash, the swarm to bring the curve down and allow you to survive longer, the worst wall out, Prophecy over Braids (which I think is not very good)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Cool, I like what you've done with it. Feels weird to leave Take Up the Shield out tho, like leaving the house without your phone or something lol
It's great but it's not a card I want to splash for. If you want to include it, feel free of course, but when splashing unless you have, like, five duals that just give you the colors for free, I always think "okay I might not have this color before turn five, or turn seven even, is it still worth". It CAN be, but that's also a bit dependent on your playstyle re: tricks etc. and the deck, and idk about this one needing it to set up a crucial 2-for-1 or giving you life back you really need or whatever. I could be wrong!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/7cf563e09a044024ad3f6dc7ddd6d27f

Curious about a review of this draft. Felt like a tough one, not sure if I missed something else that was a better path to take. Ended up going 3-0 with it, but it seemed like a good one to go back and review for different picks
P1P3: would have taken Lagomos. You have one of his colors already, and the Infantry does not pair well with W or B. Also, being BR with white to give you lots of extra bodies to sac is sick. Of course, you are still very open here, so it's not necessarily wrong, but you want to hear about different paths ;)
P1P5: would have been Skyrider for me, it's Uncommon so you'll see it less often, Strike Teams are great but I've seen them go late, and if you don't end up playing red, a 3 mana 2/2 flying flash is absolutely reasonable, but you won't splash red for the strike team I don't think
P1P7: tough one, I'm personally not a fan of the Griffin but there's not much else there. I think in your case I might have taken the Tributary because blue seems reasonably open, the Infantry rules with U as second color, and maybe the land is useful for kicker/domain/splash. In my case (Lagomos > Infantry), probably actually the Protector, yeah
P1P8: I don't see you in green at all, take Shadow Prophecy
P1P9: same here, don't know why the Rootwalla was your pivot argument. I'd have tried the Librarian there, lots of people have reported it being great to fix shaky hands and manabases
P1P10: absolutely if you're going into Domain, possibly for my path as well, Vivisector can always be gotten at some point
P1P11: interesting. I'm a fan of the abom but it might be actual garbage. I think the format just doesn't reward pure aggression much. I might have tried Thrill here which seems good, but I have never seen it picked high or talked about, so...for the Infantry it's great however

P2P1: lucky you! I'd splash for that too, also there's nothing at all in the pack otherwise
P2P4: without the green cards, it's Cavalier here for an aggressive go-wide RWb deck
P2P5: I don't know how you could possibly take the Strike Team over Missionary, which is good even in an aggressive deck. Personally, I'd actually take Braids because I like to have fun, if I get more token makers she's gonna be hilarious, also maybe I'll put an artifact or two in later, AND I want the rare
P2P6: Phalanx can be insane with enough creatures (consider that I'd have taken the Cavalier for excellent curving), Hurler is also a strong consideration because I currently have no five drop and am aiming to get more fodder makers. Also consider the pairing with Lagomos
P2P7: I'd take that here now, of course. Again, people don't value them super highly (possibly also because Red is considered "eh" at most), so you don't need to pick them up so early imo
P2P8: Faithbonder sucks (maybe less if you Enlist a strike team but ughhh), it's the land for me
P2P9: Thrall, easily, considering the sac direction I'm going
P2P11: Yotia to pair with Braids

P3P1: Hell yeah Karn + Yotia + Braids core
P3P3: land for me
P3P4: Phalanx now if I didn't get it before and I think I'd take the second too. You should have taken the Brawler!
P3P5: best choice for you, nothing here for me. Raredraft
P3P7: don't see my choices in front of me, not too much black tho I'm p sure, so Herbalist over Rager is probably correct for both of us
P3P8: Sleeper for me because I already have a Prophecy, maybe also better for you? I don't see you playing B at this point, just splashing, and Prophecy is not a great splash
P3P10: I see you're out of Domain and green again, I still don't like Faithbonder. Possibly Librarian if you didn't take it before, otherwise...yeah take faithbonder whatever

Congrats on the victory!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I decided to do an SNC Quick Draft because there's a lot of cards in the set I got, like, two copies of but want 4, and I wanted to redeem my first terrible one (very first after going back to Magic).

https://www.17lands.com/draft/bdd6f25a0b414cadb167a02b2ee5f099 pretty happy with the result, so far it's 2-1. Also pretty lucky, I'm aware.

Open for suggestions!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I decided to do an SNC Quick Draft because there's a lot of cards in the set I got, like, two copies of but want 4, and I wanted to redeem my first terrible one (very first after going back to Magic).

https://www.17lands.com/draft/bdd6f25a0b414cadb167a02b2ee5f099 pretty happy with the result, so far it's 2-1. Also pretty lucky, I'm aware.

Open for suggestions!
Went 7-1. drat!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

And another draft!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2ef75802857145ea8497a918d82956cb

This was a very easy draft, blue was so insanely open, I'm still reeling. White is basically a splash in my mono-blue build, with the only other splash being Ertai.

I won the first game rather decisively, facing a Braids that tried to make me choose to not have my lands go away but I just kept happily saccing my excess.

I'm not sure if I should play Impulse over Take up the Shield, both cards I'd be happy to draw late, with the latter ofc less always-useful tho if I don't have at least some board presence. I cut Stenn who isn't really doing much for me, could make a Geyser and/or Espionage cheaper I guess but that's about it. I could see putting Bone Splinters in as a Micromancer target, and the manabase should support it (I'm probably happy holding on to it until I get my black). Not super necessary, I think, but a consideration.

Thoughts?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

^ thanks a lot, I'm about to head off to bed, I'll definitely go back to this post

Waffleopolis posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/uqH3JsoT88

Not sure how to deal with this pool. Everything feels so spread out and thin but no true bombs. My dumbass brain says 5 colors but I doubt that. I wouldn't mind splashing black only for the Urgborg Repossession and the Phyrexian Missionary if I use white. Green feels like the backbone with the rares and the power but even then it's still weak. Red has removal but that's it.
https://sealeddeck.tech/VnwRJo7I90

looks sick imo. Just go full stupid with the Domain payoffs. Great GW base and just play all your poo poo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Alright, good morning from the train!

First of all, thanks a lot for the in-depth analysis :)

Legit Businessman posted:

Your white is very not good, aside from peacekeeper and take up the shield. Your black is much better, and you had access to black during the draft.

[...]
I did actually take Stenn as a raredraft, not really intended to play him (and I didn't end up doing so). I did not plan to go Azorius from the get-go, but it's possible I saw a nice white card and thought "huh that's convenient" in a way I wouldn't have if he wasn't my first pick. That's one reason I went into white, the other was having convenient access to my Geyser kicker. Where I'd say the biggest mistake regarding finding the better secondary color was is that I saw so, so many good blue cards I immediately took without considering what other cards were in the pack; not necessarily saying that those would have been better picks, but I did miss signals for what was open and what wasn't because of that. I'll try to be less "haha! Slam that Geyser!" in the future, it's a good lesson.

Individual comments:
P1P2: just a tough pick in a bad pack, yeah. I was drafting this with other people and they did nudge me towards the Herbalist. I was considering the Queen or the Horse myself, I wouldn't want to take lands without knowing my colors at all.
P1P5: That's a bit of a personal choice, I really like tricks and I really hate playing Counterspells. I'm trying to get better about the latter, but that's where I'm coming from, evaluation-wise
P1P6: Is stall for time not a great card? I saw it as a clear signal that white/blue is open enough for me to go into it, and I definitely said "well it's obviously much better than Shore Up" out loud in the draft
P1P7: I knew that at this point as well, yeah
P1P8: with "floating" you mean "assuming they'll table, take something else with that in mind"? I did do that in Pack 3 when I e.g. didn't take a Figment early

P2P3: this was a curve consideration of Herbalist over Mesa Cavalier, I had a lot of 3-drops already. I'm "going back to the white well" because there's nothing else in the pack, or did I miss a secret bomb?
P2P5: that was a tough choice but I wanted something for the two Micromancers to find

P3P1: I really like the Peacekeeper! Of course, if I had been more black at that point, I'd have slammed the Tribute. I briefly considered it but for me, definitely too late to pivot I think
P3P2: I did consider the Figment, but I wanted to try the Djinn and figured (see above) that the Figment would table
P3P3: I wasn't sure if the third Geyser was going to be good, tbh - I'm not great yet at evaluating which cards are diminishing returns ones and which you want to have as many of as possible. Also, when in doubt, I'll take the Uncommon, which in this case I also want to play in Constructed, so it's a semi-for-the-collection-pick
P3P6: Agonized here a little, but figured it wasn't good enough to have sit in my hand forever while I'm waiting for the splash to manifest, and I wasn't super impressed with it in my first deck
P3P7: I wouldn't want to splash for Rager(s), would you?
P3P8: uncommon draft, again not wanting to play Rager
P3P9: gotta admit, I just glossed over the Librarian. I gotta beat into my head that it's not a) the other Construct that filters mana and b) much better than Chrome Cat was in this format
P3P10: I think Faithbonder is terrible tbh but I see your point that it synergizes well with the Herbs

Regarding your deck: so you're basically arguing that Rager and Bone Splinters are better than Take up the Shield, the 3/3 Vigilance dude, Stall for Time, and the kickers on three cards? Gotta say I'm not keen on that.

I should probably try 16 lands, though. I'm generally into the idea of playing less lands, the "card draw helps" argument rings true and I was very lucky in the first match that kinda flooding actually helped me no-sell Braids.

little munchkin posted:

TUtS is gas and impulse is filler there's not a contest there. I do think impulse is better than untimely interference, you don't have red for kicker and all your stuff is low toughness, not many combats -1 power is going to win decisively. I guess you can play just one to get a redraw out of micromancer?

I always feel like people are reading a different card when they want to play bone splinters. Its awful unless you have "free" sources of creatures. Trading two of your cards for one of your opponents is not a winning game plan.
Yeah, the Interferences didn't really do much in the first match, it's a good point that I could swap one out for Impulse. I definitely won't go 1-for-1 on one mana spells and Micromancers, just playing one naked when I have already drawn my two shore ups would feel very bad.

As for Bone Splinters, do you consider double- or triple-blocking where you trade two blockers for their big attacker also not a winning plan? It's not something you build your deck for, but it's a play I'm very willing to take to get rid of their threat. In my case, an Herbalist that scryed twice already and then got walled by their 3/3 has done everything it will ever do except chump block, and I'd rather have it feed a 1-mana-removal spell than do that. I think people are way too focused on "every card needs to generate infinite value", sometimes topdecking a removal that costs you basically no board presence is exactly what you need. Hell, if they have a big threat, I'd happily play a Micromancer that sacrifices itself to the Splinters it just dug up. It's a 5 mana sorcery removal but if it wins me the game, whatever. Like, I wouldn't want to play Firenado either, but if the deck needs a way to deal with big threats, begrudingly in it goes. And Bone Splinters is much, much cheaper so you can play it along sth else, or play a bear and it to immediately remove what you cannot afford to live.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

So which one of you do I give my account info to so I can actually win drafts? Because I have no idea what's a good pick in Dom U and I just went 0-3, all 3 matches were against Boros Enlist gimmicks. Didn't keep a log of my current set but trust me it was clearly poo poo.
You go on the Discord (link in op) and stream drafts for us where we yell at you to pick our favorite cards and you get a mediocre deck

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to write a great and very valuable response!

little munchkin posted:

Yes, absolutely. I'm not trying to be condescending but if you're consistently finding your cards to trade for half of one of you opponent's, then you should be drafting better cards or reading signals better so you aren't forced to play bad cards.

Sure but if you're putting bone splinters in your deck without plentiful sacrifice fodder, you are in fact building your deck for making bad trades. Herbalist is exactly the kind of card i'm talking about where I just don't ever put the card in my deck so i'm not taxed into making unfavorable trades with it. Sometimes you'll draw herbalist but not your bone splinters and sometimes you draw bone splinters but nothing you can afford to lose. Or maybe you draw both but you're also drawing a few lands too many and now you're hopeless behind on cards.

Your cards should be equivalent in power level to those of your opponent's, or aggressive/proactive enough that you can get to a game state that lets you ignore things and just kill your opponent. If you're failing to do this, Bone Splinters will occasionally fix the symptom but not the cause.
Symptom not cause kinda hits the nail on the head here: the cause is that I'm not a perfect drafter who always makes the right decisions :v:. I do believe that you are not intending to be condescending, so don't read this sarcastically: I am at my current level not expecting to be able to get a perfect deck, it's possible that you always get 100% playables with great upsides, but I do not, and I am fine with not resorting to the "sometimes you just get bad packs mang" excuse.

At my current level, I'll often see myself take suboptimal cards (like the Herbalist) because I realized too late that my curve is too high, I was too greedy too early, or I didn't pivot to a better color (which did actually happen in my last draft and resulted in 3 Herbalists in my deck!). I think that's at least a level up from "just always take the 'best' card lmao it'll be a value pile" because I am able to recognize issues the deck has, but it's not yet at the level of "every card should be great on its own, and ALSO fit together into a smooth deck". I just gotta be honest with myself here, I'm practicing to get to that level of course, but as of now I'd rather focus on reading open colors correctly and plugging strategy holes with otherwise suboptimal cards.

From that aspect, Bone Splinters is phenomenal, because a) I'll have good fodder in creatures I don't mind losing and b) a cheap removal is often exactly what is missing from a given deck.

I'm not arguing that it's a great first pick or whatever, but I really like it because it can be a godsend for a deck you already kinda drafted suboptimally, or one that you were a bit unlucky with if we're being generous.

Again, I fully recognize that you should have the goal of just never drafting suboptimally. In an ideal deck that's not full of fodder, you should not need to play Bone Splinters, I agree with you! But I gotta know my Limited Limits here, at least at the moment. Drafting correctly is HARD, and I appreciate a card that makes me win a game with a bad trade because otherwise I'd just have NO answer for their big boy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Phew that was a bit of a slog to get the wins (even my first Jodah match had me facing a Queen who just went off and off with billions of tokens), but it did the job: I'm now interested in brawl. Maybe I'll build sth. Is it only historic, though, or is there a standard brawl?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

palamedes posted:

There is, and I like it, but it's pretty Jodah-infested.
Makes sense, still, sweet! Also, I keep wanting to make a BG graveyard matters deck but only have one-offs and an aversion to spending WCs, so thanks for that inspiration too :thunk:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

And another draft!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2ef75802857145ea8497a918d82956cb

This was a very easy draft, blue was so insanely open, I'm still reeling. White is basically a splash in my mono-blue build, with the only other splash being Ertai.

I won the first game rather decisively, facing a Braids that tried to make me choose to not have my lands go away but I just kept happily saccing my excess.

I'm not sure if I should play Impulse over Take up the Shield, both cards I'd be happy to draw late, with the latter ofc less always-useful tho if I don't have at least some board presence. I cut Stenn who isn't really doing much for me, could make a Geyser and/or Espionage cheaper I guess but that's about it. I could see putting Bone Splinters in as a Micromancer target, and the manabase should support it (I'm probably happy holding on to it until I get my black). Not super necessary, I think, but a consideration.

Thoughts?
So, finally finished this with a 4-3

My final two matches had me going against an Elf deck which drew at least 6 cards off their Leaf-Crowned Visionary, which I simply could not stop. I got them down to 5 with early aggression and my tempo cards, but then they just won. Credit where credit is due: amazing deck!

Last match was a bit of an oof; they had two artillery blasts, two citizen's arrest, a leyline binding, Rona's Vortex (kicked) and finally their own Geyser. I got them down to 3 with a Haunting Figment and a few outs (Micromancer and/or Shore Up) but they did win in the end with air power. Honestly infuriating to have literally all my big dudes hit by enchantment-based removal lol, but what can you do!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Okay, so this is the worst pile I ever drafted, but this format keeps surprising me with people just playing the soupest of decks and inexplicably winning. So maybe there's something to it!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a8f9cd3ec9a14e65a0ff2a84e06d85d6

Okay, so feel free to laugh at that first pick. In a vacuum, I would of course take Mr. Orzhov, or the Arrest. However, I just came off a WB deck that underperformed, I've seen a few underperform on stream as well, I think the archetype just doesn't work for me, or as well as others. So I raredrafted! Sue me!

I could have still pivoted because that lane turned out to be cursedly, ridiculously open. But I stuck to a domain soup around a UR core with no good UR cards. It's horrific! But maybe you can see a better build for the deck through a sea of tears of laughter and/or shame.

https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/deck/a8f9cd3ec9a14e65a0ff2a84e06d85d6/0

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

little munchkin posted:

If you're not just raredrafting p1p1 then phyrexian espionage is the strongest mono-color card.

I guess you're biased against b/w but that was the open lane. Love Song of Night and Day has a high winrate so you shouldn't sleep on in (the secret to making it good is to never choose chapter 1). You could have taken that and then gotten destroy evil on the wheel followed by knight and a bunch of take up the shields in pack 2. Hell, you could even have done that in a w/u shell.

Just gotta avoid tunnel vision a bit more. Take good cards with no color bias until you see a late card that is too good to ignore (that pack with love song and destroy evil wheeling would be what gets my attention). Even if you don't open a flashy rare, reading signals well will get you hooked up with something nice later on. If you never see a signal just try and get the fixing to allow you to cast as many of those good cards as possible.
Yeah I was really lamenting my choice to not just go into BW. It was very obviously open. I've come around to Love Song too, I thought it was eh at the start but it does add three power to the board (I found it useful to think in these terms, actually).

I wouldn't call this tunnel vision, it was absolutely crystal clear to me that I should have gone BW. I just didn't want to. Anyway, we'll see how it performs later!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Urcher posted:

Went 0-3 with this terrible draft.

https://www.17lands.com/details/b77bda5ffff7494fb9a056fd6116e3b2

Made a play error in the third game where I forgot about Knight of Dawn's light's pump ability, otherwise I would have blocked it and died 1 turn later instead.

Suggestions for improvement very welcome.
P1P1: Tatty is great and all, but for me personally too much of a commitment in the first pick. The Defiler is monocolored at least but still has two pips, I'd personally take Geyser to stay open (the kicker doesn't really matter too much for it)
P1P2: If you're not hell-bent on a Defender deck (and why would you be without the only reason for it, the Chaplain), I see no argument for the Colony? Take Espionage here imo
P1P3: Linebreaker Baloth sucks. Cult Conscript seems to be the best card here. Here you can definitely see Tatty "forcing" you into a color that has no good arguments for it
P1P4: Relatively late Arrest, could be a reason to go into white. If you had gone for the Defiler first pick, this of course would have been fantastic. Shore Up is fine, but you can often pick it up later
P1P5: fine choice, if I'd taken the Conscript before I'd have tried another here, people don't seem too interested in the Esper colors in general
P1P6: Librarian
P1P8: Don't really understand the Protector here, the figment is perfectly fine in your colors
P1P9: yup, white's open and you see that now too. Of course, with the two Conscripts I'd slam Bone Splinters (<--- do not take this seriously)
P1P10: you have zero good green cards. Even if you're hell-bent on Tatty, just splash her. Stall for time is fine here, your deck should be shaping up to be UW core splash green, mine would probably be UB at this point and I'd take Splatter Goblin
P1P11: your better choice here: Herbalist (not great but better than the turtle, again arguing hard against green here), I'd happily take more aggro black

P2P1: a tempting bomb, but you have zero fixing so far. I'd personally stay disciplined here and pick up the Terror
P2P2: Lookout for me, Nael is fine for you but also you have a RG land here, exactly what you need to splash the previous bomb. Nael might table, the land will not
P2P3: if you had pivoted to white, the Cavalier would be great
P2P4: Phalanx for the white plan, Warhorse for me, your choice is fine if you now manage to pick up lands
P2P5: Blast is horrible, again without any lands yet, play the Vineshaper imo. I'll happily take the second warhorse
P2P6: Geyser is excellent for both of us but there's three lands here! You need that fixing!
P2P8: reasonable for curve considerations, otoh a two-drop in your SPLASH color is not actually a two-drop. So Sentry imo for you, I'm a bit SOL here
[skipping the rest because it's getting too divergent]

P3P1: oof, another Hexcatcher, unlucky. What are you doing with the Shield-Wall?! Take the Mossbeard, a grade A green creature! I'm happy about the Tribute here, ofc
P3P2: yay, Cut Down! You are doing well with the land at this point, but if you had taken more earlier, you could have gotten an excellent two-drop in Rootwalla that fits your plan
P3P3: repeat after me: the Wall deck does not work without Chaplain. I love Rager, you could have another Geyser or even more lands
P3P6: if you're not raredrafting, the painland is way worse than the taplands in Limited; could argue for Zur tbh
P3P8: Prodigy is a potential two-drop, has a great kicker, what are you going to do with Combat Research, put it on the Figment you passed?

I think the issue is that you were locking yourself into two colors too early, not picking lands highly enough for the domainy-splashy-multicolored stuff you ended up getting, and you were forcing a wall theme that's garbage without the big wall payoff. There was a pretty strong aggressive UB deck in this draft, but honestly, you could have had a much better UG splashing white or straight UW deck too. I don't know if my path would have been correct in the end, but you ended up severely overvaluing some stinkers which diluted your card quality way too much.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Urcher posted:

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like my main problems are not knowing/seeing which cards are good, committing too early, and undervaluing fixing. I've got enough gold on hand for another draft, I'll give it a go in the next few days.
Get in the Discord (link in op) and stream it for us!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

jim davis playing extremely loose this series and getting extremely salty about chaplains is probably affecting me too lol
Jim drafts like absolute dogshit for this set, do not take him as a role model under any circumstances. He has a habit of taking "good cards" over cards that work with a certain archetype, and figures it works in DMU because "you can always play Domain soup", but that's a terrible way of approaching it. The card quality is super high AND there's a lot of very strong archetypes that, if they get the cards that support it, work excellently. If you do not achieve a deck with a plan that features good cards that slot into that plan, you will lose to decks that were drafted well.

Jim's latest episode had him take Argosy over Geyser despite Argosy being pretty much worthless (there's almost no good ETB support), and Geyser is blue's best common because it's super useful in any blue deck. Taking it early does not only mean that you're taking a good card, it also means that you could end up being a WU go wide deck, a UB spells deck, a UR tempo deck, or you splash it in Domain. Conversely, Talas Lookout looks great on paper, but I keep finding it being super awkward in my decks because it's not well splashable, you get walled easily by 4+ toughness reachers, you kind of want it to die to actually be good but you also want to trade for that and there's just not many good situations for that, and so on - it's much less great in the format than it looks. Absolutely playable, but a lower priority than cards that always work in every archetype.

Jim also said something like "oh I could take War-Leech but I'm not black" after a pack where black was super open, then he takes Sojourner as his first green card instead, figuring that it's always playable because his backup plan is Domain soup. Again, horrible way to handle the draft. Why did he decide that he's not black? And in the second pack, with a bunch of red and blue cards taken, he passes on Balmor "because we don't have any cheap creatures". He seems to develop an idea in his head what his deck's identity is very early, and while this kind of instinct and discipline is fine in other sets, it's terrible for DMU where you really want to see the open lane for a given archetype and then slide into that, but you can't do that after, like, five picks.

We recently had a discussion about Eerie Soultender in the discord which is rated highly by some people, and the argument is that it fits the creatures-in-the-graveyard-matter archetype (payoff Necromass, probably BG), it fits spells-in-GY (payoff Terror, UB), it fits "forever recursion value" (definitely BG, playing Bortuk and Repossession), it can even fit BW sacrifice because the body is reasonable and it does something after you used it as Bone Splinters fodder. iirc the conclusion still was "I'm not picking it over Rager, that's crazy talk", but considering that it tables well still, it's a blessing to pick up late in the first pack, and e.g. it is much better to pick over an early Necromass because you want more Soultenders than Necromasses in your deck, even though the mass itself is "better" on paper.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

My first deck was an 8th edition precon focusing around Discard. It was loving terrible but planted a seed! Discard rules!

Counterspells are way more obnoxious in my books anyway

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Okay, so this is the worst pile I ever drafted, but this format keeps surprising me with people just playing the soupest of decks and inexplicably winning. So maybe there's something to it!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a8f9cd3ec9a14e65a0ff2a84e06d85d6

Okay, so feel free to laugh at that first pick. In a vacuum, I would of course take Mr. Orzhov, or the Arrest. However, I just came off a WB deck that underperformed, I've seen a few underperform on stream as well, I think the archetype just doesn't work for me, or as well as others. So I raredrafted! Sue me!

I could have still pivoted because that lane turned out to be cursedly, ridiculously open. But I stuck to a domain soup around a UR core with no good UR cards. It's horrific! But maybe you can see a better build for the deck through a sea of tears of laughter and/or shame.

https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/deck/a8f9cd3ec9a14e65a0ff2a84e06d85d6/0
Somehow this went 5-3 lmao

Notable play: Ghitu Amplifier + Shore Up + Twinferno

Also notable: I did lose a game to the two Chaplain extravaganza, but if they had NOT blocked my seeming "throw the game" attack, I could have done: Shore Up, copy on Ivy, Twinferno, copy on Ivy, ANOTHER Twinferno, and deal exactly 20 damage (Frostfist, Ivy, Vineshaper) in one turn.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In retrospect it was perhaps a mistake to trust this man's advice

the signs were there but we didn't listen

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

For those not on Discord, this is a solid Johnny first turn:

This was my one Vorthos play:

Absolutely sickening

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Mostly this event is me watching my opponent get god draws and combo off for twenty minutes
Oh so you're one of those opponents who see me go off like a maniac, exiling their entire hand, but don't just concede?! When I see Nicol or Liliana's draw-4-cards on the first turn, I just "gg" and move on to save us both a lot of time

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I had an excellent Gruul deck but that relied a lot on a "lol I win" Thundering Raiju turn, I agree that you should not bother with it beyond that

My takeaways from learning about the format and drafting it a bit during the last time it was on Quick Draft was that if you let a green core, often with black, get into the lategame, you lose. If you draft it yourself, value survival and you can win in a long game on sheer recurring value alone. Stuff like bouncing your Gloomshrieker with Geothermal Kami, the Skyturtle loops mentioned, or fun realizations like "Twisted Embrace is an Enchantment so I can recur that too and take out two things with it, three if you count the trade that got it into the yard".

How to win before this happens:
- do sick plays with Ninjas (e.g. bouncing one in to deal damage then bounce it back end of combat to have it back on hand), abusing etb triggers and so on.
- get a VERY solid WB mixed enchantment/artifact core (personally I don't think it works super well unless the stars align, again very Uncommon-dependend and ofc they can just remove your one artifact/enchantment and you're sad).
- red/black aggro as mentioned above
- GW AGGRO enchantments can totally work, helped by the same green cards with heavy value that also search for more enchantments for example
- UR artifacts might work but I've never seen it come together either for me or any opp

That's what I remember so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I listened to Sam Black talk about RG and he said that it has a low win rate because most people were trying to go too big with it and rely on stuff like Hot Springs, which he didn't consider very good even in RG. He basically said RG should be one of the most low-to-the-ground archetypes and that it comes when mono-R isn't enough to make a deck and you fill in with with the green common chaff that most people pass very late like Coiling Stalker and Heir of the Ancient Fang
https://www.17lands.com/deck/0ad92ab97d294a26bea71b29d0ed8677

This trophied even though it doesn't look like it should. Just full aggro all the time.