Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, 1-3 with what I thought was a decent UW. 1-3 with a pretty decent seeming Mardu deck. 6-3 with what I was convinced was an awful GB. Had a couple reanimation things, 2 deathtouch mana dorks, and then just held off people until I could replay fatties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Living the dream in Rakdos with Garna and Lagomos and a vivisectionist on board at the same time. It didn't take long for every turn scry/draw to just pile up too much value.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Woo, 7-2 finally. Somehow never cast the Outrider. Strike Team won me two games though. The tramplers put in a ton of work.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone playing the much discussed Izzet spells/birbs?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hope is that I hit something with 61% to draw in the next two turns and curve out?

Maybe it seems obvious to mull but watching streamers repeatedly land pass turn 1 and 2 unpunished and Jim Davis keeping this exact hand configuration while saying "people mulligan too much" made me think it was more on the bubble lol

Generally, I'd say it depends on what interaction you have in hand and how many 2 drops in your deck. Your opponent there could curve out with weenies and kill you before you do anything. You're relying solely on what you draw to stop it. If Destroy Evil wasn't conditional, or you had some sort of card draw or something, I'd feel a lot better about it. I'd ship it back. Take it with a grain of salt though, I'm not very good at this.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I literally just show up to post my wins. That's why I don't post often.

7-1 with this one:

Topically, the defiler was great. Mostly, as a 4/4 first strike, but the pings were not entirely irrelevant. Paragon is just a bomb. Feels like the game just ended every time she came down. I did get to live the dream and skycleave pony someone to death.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

flatluigi posted:

was this posted in here somewhere, and if not do you have the list

Probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvMa02q2xc

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #18

https://www.17lands.com/draft/a41fdf78d0e04d0a9782fccc912be174

So these colors were kinda handed to me on a platter lol? I guess I just need to make the correct cuts for the gameplan. Is there something I cut for a fifth Strike Team? Is there a case to be made for too many Strike Teams and I should play one of the fistful of one and two-drops in the board?

The only noteworthy pick choice here is perhaps Tori, like on paper she should be good but has terrible stats... Is she actually worse than a Strike Team? I passed her and she wheeled -- along with another Sprouting Goblin lol... the only reason I picked her up is because I already had two Sprouting Goblins and there's probably diminishing returns on that?

I just had Tori in a deck. My biggest problem with her was I really wanted her to have Haste or something. It's mostly that Tori has to sit there a whole turn before doing anything. I didn't think she was bad, per se, it just feels like you want her to alpha strike, giving dudes trample and vigilante to save the possible crackback, and it's hard to just have that on the board waiting for a bit first.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, played and lost my first game against Nummy. Curved out real nicely and took him to 6, then flooded like Nile and he hit a trick to stabilize. Still it's neat to run into prominent players.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Lost two long games with the Swamp King, swapped two Jodah and won two pretty quick. May play in the morning for the cosmetic. One dude got down Cemetery Desecrator with Argosy and I thought he was just going to eat my board over the next couple of turns, and he just didn't. He badly misread something, because he kept crewing with a bird or lantern bearer instead of Desecrator or Aether Channeler. Mysterious.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

I didn't like the original build of this deck because it felt unfocused, so I made the second version of the deck to work less on the domain stuff and more on the graveyard stuff. The second deck was good enough to win, but definitely not top tier.

Time passed, I drafted a bunch of DMU, and I realized: domain is really good. So I decided to rebuild the first deck and focus more on the domain part and ended up with this:

This deck is actually bonkers. I am currently on a 19-0 run with it. Most of my games seem to revolve around the opponent tapping out for something and then eating 15-20 damage from one attack.

I decided to hit record on a play session during this run, so if anyone's looking for something to run, here's a thing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAkVqdBmJxI

Thanks for the update. this looks fun

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

FWIW, I'm currently on a 0-7 loss streak with that deck.

I'm 5-6, though I had accidentally added some wrong triomes. I'll try again tomorrow. Mono-U did feel bad.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

Lol I feel guilty when I post decks and people lose with them :ohdearsass: I’m at work on my phone but can write out a little guide for it tonight, it feels likewise feels good when people play my decks and win with them

Diamond was definitely a tougher fight then platinum but I hit mythic with a 70% win rate this afternoon, probably there’s a card or two to be tweaked for the control matchups but so far so good.

Don't feel bad! Your Kroxa/Cleave deck was like the first one I copied from somewhere. It was fun and importantly, absolutely bodied Rogues. I'm always on the lookout for what you put up.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

This is unquestionably a mull.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sure it's been said before but this guy has the worst voice in existence

Like why does he talk like that.

Yeah, I was curious about the deck, but couldn't make it through. Also that first game was a godawful keep.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

:siren:Free Phantom Bot Cube:siren:

Drafted a very medium Naya tokens deck. Went about 3-2, though I did get to live the dream of Divine Visitation into Troistani into Angel of Invention and finally Horn of Valhalla. And powered out a turn 4 Minsc and Boo to just slaughter some poor person.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

saltylopez posted:

The deck is also good for getting fast wins in the unranked queue. People are quick to concede against the deck and unwilling to put up with the frustration.

Yeah, I've had concedes as soon as the first island hits the board. It's surprising.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, I've ramped a bunch. Cast various artifacts for 8-10 mana. 2-6 through two drafts.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
4th or maybe 5th time's a charm. First pack was all over the place, I could probably have reasonably done any combo of RGB, but clearly BU draw two was the way to go. Wheeled Stern Lesson somehow in P1, and opened Gixian Puppeteers P2. Wheeled an Evangel too. On the whole, I found this one to be a lot of fun. Never got blown out with Precursor Golem, and there were a few times just dropping 9 power on the board saved my bacon. No regrets there, even though I didn't have much to take advantage of it. Won out from 2-2, so felt really good about myself. Helm of the Host sucks. Especially on that Simian counter dude.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Ok you pretty much said it, but also: when the draft gifts you four Corrupts, you do your hardest to make your deck mono black; and if you're playing UB draw 2, take Moment of Defiance it's a load-bearing player in that deck.

I'd add that Stern Lesson is too, it lets you activate draw 2 on their turn.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, living the dream. Finally managed to pop a Helm of Hosts on a Boulderbranch Golem and make the Boros aggro deck cry. It's was the 3/3 golem, but still. Even better was when they prison sentenced it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

Well, living the dream. Finally managed to pop a Helm of Hosts on a Boulderbranch Golem and make the Boros aggro deck cry. It's was the 3/3 golem, but still. Even better was when they prison sentenced it.

Final tally 6-3 with this pile. Lots of helm hijinks. Last game, I made the play I had been leery about all game, and helmed up my precursor golem. 9 power, every turn is so tempting, even if 6 is unhasted. Then was sibling rivalry snagging 5-6 golems. Ah well, it was fun. It wasn't good, but probably the most memorable draft I've had in ages.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

How to win Midweek. Pick the BRG deck and spam Liliana.

I did BRG and I swear I constantly milled all my grasps. Probably went 3-4. Did have one nice grindy win and one just excellent curve out with a t4 Titan. When it came together it did, but when it didn't it was ugly.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
And I accidentally bought an Alchemy draft. Naturally I 7-0'd with a GW aggro deck and got all the worthless packs. At least there's gems.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

precision posted:

Jesus, I lose to opponents topdecking a threaten effect way more often than is normal, I almost never see streamers lost to that bs and it gets me so often ):

Currently 4-2 and tilted to the max

Just wait till they get 3 precursors and a boulderbranch off you.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
4-3 with a very mid izzet spells deck. Highlight was very much the dragon glider rare. That and 3 volt charge will go a long way, or at least to about 4 wins.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, drafted BG, played 6 BG in a row.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

IKR, I'd like to see Pauper or Artisan as a regular queue, but I guess they don't want to spread the queues too much and risk matching times going up too high.

E: I will be REALLY interested if there are stats on 17L or whatever for how many games end by posion vs damage.

FWIW 4-3, 3-3, 3-3 so 19 games so far and I've only lost 1 to poison. And I've killed someone with poison once.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone got any good advice on this one?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Sometimes, you win even with the screw. This dude somehow had 2 archfiends of dross. How rude.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, first trophy of the set and it's 7-0. Turns out all you need is being passed Kaya and White Sun's.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, thought I was wrapped up drafting, but waltzed into a 7-2 with a good BW. I've not lost a game where Kaya hit the board. I've a poorer rate trophying this set, but a much lower brick rate, hitting more 3-4-5 win decks, which keeps me drafting longer than usual.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, 3-0 in MWM with Gobbos. Not saying it's good, but it can get there. And who doesn't love gobbos?

Deck
4 Cacophony Scamp (ONE) 124
4 Rundvelt Hordemaster (DMU) 142
3 Squee, Dubious Monarch (DMU) 146
4 Chimney Rabble (ONE) 126
5 Swamp (SLD) 1132
3 Splatter Goblin (DMU) 109
12 Mountain (SLD) 1133
4 Exuberant Fuseling (ONE) 129
4 Bone Splinters (DMU) 83
4 Goblin Blast-Runner (BRO) 137
2 Hazardous Blast (ONE) 135
4 Lightning Strike (DMU) 137
3 Transmogrant's Crown (BRO) 125
4 Sulfurous Springs (DMU) 256

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

When do you actually hit a wall jumping ranks? I'm almost to gold and feel like while I'm an ok player, part of this is dumb luck of winning twice in a row where an opponent stalls out or the matchup is bad.

Plat. Up until gold you get two pips for a win, but only lose one in a loss. Plat and up it's 1 and 1.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Opened Sparring Regimen so went RW, natch. It was mid, but had just enough to get through it at 3-1, with the one loss being mana screw. Efreet Flamepainter won me 2 games by Urza's Raging them in the face midcombat.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I want a new Shandalar.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just for the new page, there's a cheap draft token in the shop today.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

That new board is amazing. I love that you can eat the pepperoni of your opponent's pizza. And the chips out of their bag.

And open the coke can and squish the fruit snacks and flip the tape. Good stuff.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Honestly every time I lose a mirror to mechanized I'm tempted to try and weasel the Dolphin, Mayhem Dominus in instead, but can't never find it it myself to cut a Raiju.

How's that playing for you? I'm on the CGB Monored with the tricks and draw. It is at least real quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

BioThermo posted:

It looks like the quest gold bug is back. I'm stuck at 24/25 on my "play 25 lands" quest and every game where I drop at least one land my gold count increases by 500 but the quest doesn't complete.

Thanks for the heads up. Raked in about 25k this morning. :D