Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Any suggestions on how to improve this Explorer Bo3 vamps deck? It can do OK at the moment but can't really compete with a lot of the more "unfair" stuff that people play in the format. Better sideboard options also appreciated, the only cards in there that I'm sure about are Pithing Needle (for PWs) and Gideon (so I can pretend I can do something about sweepers).

Deck
9 Swamp (RIX) 194
7 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
2 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
4 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord (M20) 115
1 Mortify (RNA) 192
1 Nighthawk Scavenger (ZNR) 115
4 Champion of Dusk (RIX) 64
2 Sanctum Seeker (XLN) 120
4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
2 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
4 Legion Lieutenant (RIX) 163
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
3 Gifted Aetherborn (JMP) 239
2 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Edgar, Charmed Groom (VOW) 236
1 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
1 Nullpriest of Oblivion (ZNR) 118

Sideboard
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
1 Cast Down (DAR) 81
1 Call to the Feast (XLN) 219
1 Pithing Needle (MID) 257
2 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
2 Pithing Needle (MID) 257
2 Nighthawk Scavenger (ZNR) 115
1 Dusk Legion Duelist (MOM) 11
1 Paladin of Atonement (RIX) 16
2 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

The best draft format of all time (not an official one, but one we drafted the hell out of at my local shop) was OG Mirrodin-Mirrodin-Legions. Mirrodin was so artifact-heavy nobody was really committed to a color after two packs, so you just went for every bomb you could find (there were plenty! Crystal Shard was literally unbeatable!) but notoriously light on creatures, a problem Legions solved while guaranteeing at least a few Gray Ogre types made it into your 40.

If I had infinity dollars I would make a cube of just MIR-MIR-LEG and draft it forever.

They should do fun stuff like this on arena. Also temporary constructed formats, like run "all the innistrad sets" constructed for a week or something.

e: replace the alchemy queues with this pls wotc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

There's some sicko secret lair basic land cosmetics in the store right now (sorry no picture I'm phoneposting).

Those pixel basics look real tempting (non-snow this time), not sure I'd give up the Nyx Constellation/Pokemon Energy ones I got now though

They're cool but it's also like £20

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What are the best hate cards playable in monoblack standard against the decks playing etali/atraxa/breech etc? I've got two copies of Stone Brain in my sideboard but it doesn't work that well since those decks tend to run multiple different cards rather than 4 of the same, they're pretty interchangeable.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ex post facho posted:

i'm playing a graveyard hate/discard deck with a bunch of Voldaren Epicure, Hopeless Nightmare, Skullcap Snail, and Graveyard Trespasser, with a few The End for Sheoldred or other huge thing I can't get through. Just keep their hand and graveyard disrupted as long as possible and hope you don't get Farewells or Etali'd before you can ping them down.

Also Ob Nixilis is still very fun if you can get Urabrask Forge online early.

Can you share your list? Graveyard Trespasser really does a lot of work for me. (I'm currently playing a similar list to this, although I have replaced the sheoldreds with Bloodletter of Aclazotz and have a couple of obliterators in the board)

Jabor posted:

Have you considered playing more than one colour to get access to better, more targeted hate cards?

If you need to stick to monoblack for some reason then traditionally the best option to fight ramp is to use discard spells - after seeing what they have in hand, you can take either the ramp or the payoffs to disrupt them and then beat them up before they draw out of it. Unfortunately since you don't have thoughtseize, and both the ramp and payoffs are a mix of creatures and non-creatures, you're going to have to play a mix of effects and hope that they line up with your opponent's draws.

I don't really have the landbase at the moment, but could add blue or white I guess. Most of the two colour decks I see are quite different though to my current deck. and playing Bloodletter would become a bit rough (cutting Obliterator would be fine, it's only good in matchups I already do well in).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Black might be bad overall in LCI draft but they have some of the best bombs. Aclazotz and Preacher of the Schism both represent incredible value if they can't be immediately removed (exiled in Aclazotz's case)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I was so confused by what was going on that I didn't properly keep track of the game state after this I think it was a graphical glitch and one of them is actually a land

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ex post facho posted:

Sure, please be advised this is unoptimized and has gone through several iterations and i welcome changes and suggestions:

Deck

4 Ob Nixilis, the Adversary (SNC) 206

4 Pyretic Prankster (MOM) 157
3 Voldaren Bloodcaster (VOW) 137
4 Skullcap Snail (LCI) 119
3 Graveyard Trespasser (MID) 104
2 Vraan, Executioner Thane (ONE) 114
4 Voldaren Epicure (VOW) 182

4 Hopeless Nightmare (WOE) 95
3 Brotherhood's End (BRO) 128
3 Urabrask's Forge (ONE) 153
2 The End (WOE) 87

1 Restless Vents (LCI) 284
4 Blackcleave Cliffs (ONE) 248
4 Haunted Ridge (MID) 263
6 Mountain (UST) 215
9 Swamp (UST) 214

Took a couple of bits of inspiration from this (well, Hopeless Nightmare) and got through plat bo3 winning my last three matches handily. It's definitely not the best version of this deck at all, I wanted more two's but couldn't work out a better one than Misery's Shadow (it's honestly garbage in this deck). Plays as a sort of disruption tempo deck with some nice hate for the meta. Basically folds against most monowhite decks but does ok against lots of the greedier decks out there and can have good games against red based aggro.

Surprise over performer for me is Sword of Once and Future. It's expensive but lots of decks just can't beat a bat equipped with it after discarding a card or two. You get to replay duress and removal to take control of the game.

Deck
1 Gix, Yawgmoth Praetor (BRO) 95
23 Swamp (ANA) 6
4 Graveyard Trespasser (MID) 104
1 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
1 Misery's Shadow (BRO) 107
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
4 Hopeless Nightmare (WOE) 95
1 Preacher of the Schism (LCI) 113
4 Tenacious Underdog (SNC) 97
2 Evolved Sleeper (DMU) 93
1 Phyrexian Obliterator (NPH) 68
2 Gix's Command (BRO) 97
1 The Cruelty of Gix (DMU) 87
1 Virtue of Persistence (WOE) 115
2 Cut Down (DMU) 89
4 Deep-Cavern Bat (LCI) 102
4 Phyrexian Fleshgorger (BRO) 121
2 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
1 Sword of Once and Future (MOM) 265

Sideboard
2 Duress (STA) 29
2 Duress (M21) 96
2 Evolved Sleeper (DMU) 93
1 Sheoldred's Edict (ONE) 108
1 Breach the Multiverse (MOM) 94
1 Phyrexian Obliterator (NPH) 68
1 Sheoldred's Edict (ONE) 108
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
2 Glistening Deluge (MOM) 107
1 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
1 Sword of Once and Future (MOM) 265

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

bo3 being unranked is great because it means you don't face harder opponents when you draft more

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fadam posted:

Decklists for the creator clash are here:
https://mtgscribe.com/2024/01/05/timeless-creator-clash/

I didn't watch, but apparently top 4 was 2x Breach, and 2x UB control. I've gotten my butt kicked by that UB control list a ton, feels really powerful.

Amazing how pervasive Companions (especially Lurros) have become in formats like this. Over half those decks have them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Anim Pakal has been the source of so many feelbad losses this set :(

That feeling that you're always Just One Turn behind removing it then the turn you think you might survive you're just like 'oh yeah it also spawn 5 attacking golems when it swings lol lmao'

thank you for blessing my next LCI draft

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LCI draft is "OK" I think overall, you have to have good tempo to not get beaten down but not necessarily be aggro. I always try and do the descend deck but it never works.

I really don't like Discover as a limited mechanic it's so high variance, especially later in the game. Might as well add coin flips and rolling dice.

The poison frog definitely has the highest absolute number of misplays. It's a common and you can make all sorts of mistakes: forget to pay for deathtouch, forget to leave mana up for deathtouch, tap it for mana when you need it to block, forget that it's your only source of X mana, etc.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

standard.jpg

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Time posted:

looks like an easy win for you since they are stuck on 2

Either it's mobile UI weirdness or they topdecked a land (probably the former since I doubt they'd have discarded a triome with that hand), I got trashed.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

I literally can't figure out what the number 1 decks wincon is. Am I stupid?

https://melee.gg/Decklist/View/356739

That's a pretty cool deck, just all the good cards.

s: all the upshifted rarity cards in that deck are Hasbro's revenge for not getting to make historic cards cost double

distortion park fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 15, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The arena cube is a lot of fun but the payouts are garbage, they could at least set it up so that some of the prizes are cards from the cube.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BasicLich posted:

so loving tired of all rare and mythic decks

e: hey if you're also tired of my bitching maybe stake me and buy me some packs

I swear a few years ago at least rdw used to be pretty rare-light.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Limited seems OK so far, quite tempo based but not that fast. The ward on disguise creatures does have a meaningful impact on how they play which I'm surprised by.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BasicLich posted:

very tired of all the mega rares and ultra rares and ultra mega rares

if I wanted to win by putting money down i would invest in f1 racing

Dominion is on mobile now, £15 gets you access to ranked queue where you can effectively play with any card ever printed. It's very good!

Also despite being made for like 50p it boots to a game 10x faster than the magic client and crashes less.

e: actually you can always play with all the cards (the kingdoms in the unranked queue are made up of both players sets) but you'll see a lot more variety in ranked.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 8, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think it's because of disguise and investigate that it feels that way. You'll always have stuff to do with your mana, and if you miss on that your opponents will pull ahead with the extra actions they are taking. Equally it's a fairly tempo heavy format (2/2s suck at blocking, but there also aren't loads of cheap things that block them well!) so you can't just go 18 lands and ramp stuff that easily.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Despite my grumbling about the format, this deck actually went 6-3 and it should have trophied, read the final paragraph to learn from my mistake.

So, turns out, this deck was busted. I did change it a bit:

Almost every card pulled its weight, generally very happy with the overall quality. I think I made ultimately the right choices. Bringing Tipster back in was definitely a good call, it's just very good overall if only to eat removal before you play something you actually care about.

Agree that Tipster is great and that angel mythic is absolutely gross in limited, just a complete wincon on its own. I don't really like when they print cards like that where the game so far is completely invalidated. (Although it feels good to randomly shock a morph when they're tapped out and hit it!)

Had a deck earlier with two Hide In Plain Sight and they did a lot of work, on curve it's a big swing, +1 card and +2 mana.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Is this a deck? Any cuts? Either of the splash colours not worth splashing (R for Yarus, B for Assassin's Trophy, 2x Izoni)? Fixing is decent but not incredible. (Also assuming Hull Clade isn't worth playing, as it would mostly just be a 15 toughness wall which is... not nothing but I'm not gonna be swinging with it)

https://www.17lands.com/deck/c40ebc880f09439d86eb840105748df3

Not playing it til tomorrow.

This looks good to me, although personally I wouldn't play the hushbringer effect with two(!) Izonis.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

drat, Repulsive Mutation fucks.

It absolutely sucks being on the draw in this set though.

4/3.

This is next - I'm assuming the W splash for Teysa is worth it, but is including Soul Search? I'm leaning no. Also gently caress, I have so few 2 drops...

https://www.17lands.com/deck/5ad75a82147c468d84c20f7194b72039

ANy other changes?

Definitely don't play Soul Search imo. Agreed that you're short of 2 drops, you'll probably just have to suck up a loss or two when your opponent curves out, but a lot of other decks will have slow starts as well probably.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Draft in this set definitely has the most opportunities for misplays, between the autotapper, that stupid dog that stops you flipping stuff, collect evidence, ward + uncounterable spells, counting mana for investigate etc.

Also on mobile it sometimes doesn't show the full number of lands you/your opponent have out, you have to click to get the actual number.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That mole and the 4/4 vigilance flip mana card are both incredibly good.

Just ended a draft with a frustrating loss to the RG when disguised creatures die flip them instead card. I think I'm done with the format, was OK fun as these things go. Each matchup felt like it demanded specific answers or playstyles, but once you're in the game you don't have much control over that even if they're in your deck.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Any thoughts on better cuts for this trad draft deck?
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/draft-1022423

I'm pretty sure I don't want to play Inspector or They Went This Way over the second Riftburst Hellion but am not sure. I only have 3 removal-ish spells so want to play as many creatures as possible, and I have 5 fixing/ramp cards already.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 17, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

kalel posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/ibPfSbD5mB

feels like having lots of morphs is the way to go

Your changes are definitely correct, thanks. Don't know why I didn't consider that basically any morph is better in this deck than Pompous Gadabout

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rinkles posted:

i didn't realize there was a list of trophying decks on 17lands (was mentioned in the followup tweet)

https://www.17lands.com/trophy_decks

First one I clicked had Vindicator +ezrim, second one Izoni + another huge bomb. Checks out.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Got owned pretty badly in my final matchup of a trad draft run, 2-1 overall. I was playing a disguise ramp RG deck that felt very strong in the first two matches, both were easy wins (smugglers computer did all the work in one game).

Final matchup though I had mediocre draws in both games, and they were playing an OK blue tempo bounce deck. It's super tough to come back from getting your disguise creatures bounced after flipping and your opponent getting clues, 2/1s or 4/4s on the board for their effort. I don't think their deck was that great (would have been trash against RW Person Of Interest decks for example) but they just had such a mana advantage that it felt not even close against mine.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I agree that it's a bit off meta but there were 3 of these UW decks in the top 16 at a recent cash competition so I suspect it's fairly competitive. This one has 5 wraths, 7 counterspells, and 12 removal spells (counting lockdown and emperor). It runs 1 normal creature maindeck.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=52406&d=589150&f=ST

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Time posted:

I am personally of the opinion that this deck is bad and had moderate success because of the surprise nature of it. But, point taken as an example of a resurgence. This tournament also is a data point that works towards my larger point, in that creature based decks getting across the finish line will still work this style of control deck over with good play. That is what happened here

Deck is for sure a true blue throw back to that era of control though, thank you for posting it

I wonder if it's just good against the raffine deck (sadly not dead, would have hoped Long Goodbye would do more work against it) which seems to have been heavily represented, dunno how the matchups were.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lots of new brews running Ill Timed Explosion in the arena bo3 standard queue at the moment. It seems very strong, card selection plus what's effectively a selective wrath for RU decks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

resistentialism posted:

People know it lets you cast face down critters, too, right?

I managed a 7-1 with it in what I thought was an awkward deck, and it seemed pretty good. Could have been lucky circumstances.

How many cards in your deck is it going to hit even so? Maybe 10? You need to be drawing multiple cards off it for it to be even ok.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Can I ask, what is it about Ezrim, Agency Chief that turns people into stereotypical Yu-Gi-Oh players? I've won by shame-concede about a dozen times now just by having Ezrim and one free mana on the board. Even when there are other creatures they could be targeting with removal, they'll go for Ezrim because he's a big flyer, and waste the spell, because apparently they didn't read his ability.

They kind of have to kill it because otherwise it'll attack as a big flying lifelinker next turn, which is almost impossible to beat.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chaos draft is fun, the MKM pack feels a lot stronger than the other two, although the guild gates in every pack make multicoloured decks much easier.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

fuckin lmao at this limited set having oko thief of crowns in it

Can't wait to lose in draft to someone playing OKO into mystic snake

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

kalel posted:

it might be better to take bombs in pack 1 and fixing in 2 and 3. the format is slow so breaking board stalls is key.

And you're almost guaranteed a bunch of mediocre fixing from the gates (decent) and the mana rocks (bad) in the last two packs. I went 7-2 with a four colour deck and had zero issues with mana, there were often picks in the last two packs where there was nothing interesting besides the land.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chaos Ravnica is honestly one of my favourite draft formats in a while, the draft stage has some tricky choices and the games are a lot of fun. I like discovering synergies rather than just picking every card that says "Detective". Some of the costs are a little rough (e.g. the XXYY cards in the final pack) but it's mostly pretty smooth.

It might help that the matchmaking feels looser than normal.

Simply Simon posted:

Similarly, the Wrath won me one game but didn't really help in two others (one, they played around it masterfully, I might have hidden it better but I also simply don't have that many creatures so bluffing with a less valuable one is still not the best idea) where they untapped and played two creatures while I had just an overcosted removal spell in hand.

I'd never bother playing around a wrath in this format unless I was dead on to win already or had seen their hand, so many people go nothing, 2 drop, nothing even without one.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Boco_T posted:

Remix Draft: Artifacts starts tomorrow morning and:
Best of One IS RANKED
You KEEP THE CARDS

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/announcing-remix-draft-artifacts-on-mtg-arena

Let me look through the list and see if there's anything interesting in the rare and mythic slots, but the cards are all stuff that's already on Arena even if some of the cards haven't ever been in a draft format before.

Sweet, looks awesome. Hope it's as fun as the chaos draft was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

While they're at it they could add reminders for the man lands, they get me every time.