Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Khanstant posted:

I've been having a blast with the plated onslaught monowhite deck lately, matches faster than ever and even going for the long game can pull off some goober wins they shouldn't since nobody plays around the deck.

I thought that deck looked cool and put it together, but I've gone 1-6 in ladder with it. Either it's bad or I'm bad at playing it, any tips for mulligan decisions/play patterns? Or is it just bad but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

reignonyourparade posted:

Mulligans:
You've got a shitload of payoffs and it's entirely reasonable to mull for at least one of them if your hand is JUST a bunch of 1 drops. "Payoffs" in this case would be the obvious ones but IMO also "three 1 drops and a halo hopper."

Play patterns:
In general if you've got halo hopper and NOT a patchwork automaton, be willing to just absolutely poo poo out your hand, and remember that the vigilance flier can attack and THEN convoke. Against RDW specifically i'd probably even play the halo hopper before the automaton, it might seem unintuitive to tap all those creatures but it sets you up better turn 3 on. And if i'm expecting a counterspell, the same, if your stuff has summoning sickness ANYWAY you're basically drawing out that counterspell for nearly 0 tempo loss. In basically all other cases, automaton first.

The other big thing is your opponent 100% is not expecting plated onslaught. Make all out attacks if your opponent has the setup for a bunch of "just good enough" blocks, they usually WILL do so and then get irrecoverably blown out.

Thanks for the pointers! I started winning games so I guess it was me who was bad...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Slightly weird draft. Talion seems nuts but do I wreck my manabase just to fit it in? I really wanted Ash to work but the white just wasn't there and it doesn't seem a good splash card.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Starsfan posted:

the fact that I breeze through all of these weekly challenges / festivals with basically the same mono red budget deck with a few cards swapped in or out has me asking some questions about whether I'm barking up the right tree playing blue/white control in standard or if there may be an easier way...

Red deck wins is there to keep people honest but it's pretty rare that it's actually good in an established format. I think you see so much of it on MTGA because it's cheap to build and you can knock out a challenge/quest game in about 3 minutes: either you win by turn 5 or you can just concede and move on.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also I'm happy to have finally milled someone out in WoE limited with Ashiok. Opponent with 19 life and 5 foods in play doesn't have a favoured position in that particular boardstall it turns out.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zero VGS posted:

There's no doubt the MTGA meta is warped around the daily win system, and quests like "attack with X creatures". Some people's brainworms demand they keep banging those out, especially the first 4 wins that give the most stuff.

If they replaced "15 wins a day" with "30 minutes playtime a day" even I would switch to some grindy control deck.
I get it to an extent, if I'm playing at all in a day then I do want to get my 4 wins. But I'm not that bothered about chasing quests. Assuming you're playing a couple times a week you're not likely to build up enough that you stop getting new ones, and they're going to get filled eventually. Maybe if you only play one particular constructed deck it's a bit more of a slog, but a single draft is usually enough to knock out a couple.

The Dark Souls of Posters posted:

I won my first trophy ever today! :toot:

Red/White aggro, started 0-2 and then ran off seven wins in a row including a four turn seventh win where I did 10 damage in the turn thanks to some armory mice and ash celebrations and a besotted knight adventure. It was cool
Congrats!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
MTGA/rules question: I've messed up a couple times now when an opponent plays a spell in my end step. I want to let the spell resolve, then play an instant from my hand, so I pass. However, after resolution MTGA immediately goes to my opponent's turn (or I guess to cleanup and then to their turn). Shouldn't I receive priority again before then? I guess I need to hold full control in this case?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kalel posted:

tap the end step icon when they cast the spell, before responding.

it seems to be the case that whether mtga gives you priority on an empty stack is card-dependent. e.g. they had to manually add a stop in your upkeep when sheoldred is on the opponent's board, and even then it's only the first turn cycle where she's present
Good to know, thanks.

flatluigi posted:

you might also have some of the automatic options turned on
I don't think there's anything related there, but it did remind me to turn off auto order triggered abilities.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been playing the white artifact deck on and off in the standard ladder and after a rough start it's been going pretty well for me. It looks so laughably underpowered when your opponent resolves their T4 Sheoldred and sits back with a big grin, then on your go you turn your tiny idiots sideways and suddenly hit for 13 with Plated Onslaught, GG.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thought this deck was pretty decent but it went 1-3. Close loss G1 against RB vampires, got stomped G2 by GW humans with Odric, Lunarch Marshal, won G3 against Orzhov something easily and then drew 7 plains and no forests in 10 turns G4.

Probably needed more instant/sorcery removal, getting delirium is pretty tough with this build and while it isn't essential it would definitely have helped out a bit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I looked at the second deck. The draft picks are pretty defensible, good chance I'd have also ended up in a similar spot. Maybe I'd have taken the early Hamlet Glutton, but you didn't get passed a lot of green P1 so likely I'd have gone BR too. White was somewhat open too and could have been a possibility, but that's with hindsight and I doubt I'd have had the discipline to switch from BR on the strength of being passed some W good commons and uncommons rather than taking BR filler.

I think the deck is misbuilt though. You have way too few 2-drops, with a bunch of strong 2s in the sideboard. Merry Bards is not very good in my experience, and especially with so few early drops. I think Belligerent of the Ball is usually worse than Grand Ball Celebrant, though you're a bit light on ways to trigger Celebration in either case. I'd probably have cut the Bards, Sugar Rush and at least one Belligerent and played the Celebrants, Barrow Naughty and Embreth Veterans. I really like Picnic Ruiner but you only have Grabby Giant to cast the adventure or trigger the double strike without pumping so it might be a cut. Skewer Slinger is playable and the other Minecart Daredevil is decent, maybe one of those in. It's hard to get away from the 3BB top end because Negotiator and Ashiok are both really good and you do probably need a way to remove a Hamlet Glutton, but they are a bit awkward in what's probably meant to be a low to the ground mainly red deck. I like Not Dead After All probably more than I should, but with so many basically interchangeable beaters I'd maybe consider Kindled Heroism or even Witch's Mark in its place.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah Numot is good and watching him has helped my play in this format. He is often much more reluctant to play tricks and removal for a bit of value where I would probably tend to spew off, instead taking hits and saving his interaction for really good blowouts or kills. Obviously that's not always correct, sometimes it's right to kill a vanilla two-drop and get in for 3, but I at least spend a bit more time now thinking about whether I really want to spend a premium trick on a low-value exchange.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I went 2-3 in my only ONE quick draft so far so I can hardly claim to be an expert. But that seems like too many taplands to reliably contest the early game.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
This feels like another ONE draft that didn't quite get there, anyone mind taking a look at my pool and telling me how I've misbuilt the deck?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Simply Simon posted:

I think it looks fine, you should have enough Toxic to make the payoffs worth it. Specifically Slaughter Singer. Incisor Glider, fortunately, is good even if you don't get Corrupted going. However, this assumes that you're playing both Dune Movers, which imo you should. They are pretty good!

I'd cut:
- Sinew Dancer (wouldn't depend too hard on it working)
- Ichorspit Basilisk (just a mopey card, despite having Toxic)
- Vanish Into Eternity (you don't really have much removal, but this won't help you push through early, so...just cut it imo)

Final addition: Charge of the Mites should be worth it. I'd also consider dropping a land and adding Titanic Growth, which will allow you to attack more aggressively. Your curve should be fine with 16, also you got the Cultivators to help you push into 4-drop territory with just 3 lands.

Thanks for the help! I think your build was an improvement. I went 2-3 again. Lost one game to a misplay, won 2 just running my opponents over with quick aggro, and lost two by getting into a board stall and not having anything to break parity before my opponents found their own way through. It felt like this deck needed some card draw, some more top end, or likely both.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Algid posted:

It doesn't seem to be that great for how popular it is? Golgari is like 55% wr in bo1 and 54% in bo3 according to mtga assistant.

Then again I play monoblue most days now that's even worse at 54% bo1 and 50% bo3. It is very good at beating ramp since they rely on powerful top ends while counterspells are 1 to 1 answers and I just see so much more cards than they do unless they play beans.

Biggest weakness is go wide decks though, 8 creatures total in the deck that's mostly cast turn 4 or later isn't great against a bunch of 1/1 tokens.

I love playing monoblue against the Atraxa deck. I had a game where I let them resolve Atraxa twice and Etali once and still won easily because basically none of their cards matter when I have a hand full of bounce and counter and a 24/4 djinn that phases back in in my upkeep.

I don't want to talk about the UW soldiers matchup though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I had it freeze claiming a rare and I couldn't find any new cards in my collection after. Two other claims went through OK though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's happened to me twice now (once in each of the two different MWM events).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Pretty fun event though, I missed these sets the first time around and I'm enjoying the games.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Kurash posted:

Here is my updated 29 land field list: Deck

Really broken and tons of fun. Updates include embracing the Capenna fetches (they are fantastic) and cobbling together a workable manabase. The Assemble the Teams seem to be patching a hole the deck had quite well, and finding a Pact of Negation with one is quite devilish.
This deck is really fun, thanks!

BasicLich posted:

is there a way to play a second deck in noban historic or are you stuck with the first one you entered with (it's looking like I'm stuck???)
Just click on your deck above the "Play" button and you can change it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wasteland is one of the defining cards of the legacy format and yet four colour soup with the greediest possible no basics manabase is still a top tier deck. That's why I'm proposing for MH4:

Radioactive Wasteland
Land
Tap: add colorless.
Tap, sacrifice Radioactive Wasteland: destroy target nonbasic land. Its controller sacrifices a land.

I'll await the call from the Great Designer Search committee.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's not working. My quests completed and then went away.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The one time the devs decide to actually fix a bug... :argh:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Zoetic Glyph seems good, but it's even better if you aren't targeting the treasure that you're sacrificing to pay for its cost. Uh, just in case that was a play anyone else was planning to make.

e: I won that game anyway but went 4-3 in my first sealed. Pretty mediocre pool I think. I opened Fabrication Foundry but wasn't allowed to play it :(

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 14, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been playing like dogshit in draft so far but the format seems cool. Losing games to misplays sucks but it's alright to take a few rounds just learning the cards.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

kalel posted:

charliefoxtrot the skill you first need to learn is to stop and take a break the second you realize you're playing on tilt. and you need to ask yourself why you keep playing on tilt when you know it's a bad idea. please be fair to yourself.

Yeah if I lose a couple games in a row that seemed winnable I usually just log off and come back to finish the draft the next day. Even if you aren't tilted, there's probably a reason you're playing badly - maybe you're tired or distracted or just not enjoying yourself. Maybe your deck is misbuilt and when you give it another look with fresh eyes you can make a couple swaps that improve your win %. No reason to burn yourself out and burn through gems on bad quality games - I'd rather feel like even when I lose in draft I got something out of the match because I had fun and learned from my mistakes.

If you absolutely can't tear yourself away from the digital cardboard you can always just go lose on ladder instead.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I think this is a pretty decent aggro deck. Not sure on my last cuts, my instinct is the two on the right.

I almost like Family Reunion with all the gnomes but I think it is probably bad. Sandwing is decent but this isn't the deck for it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks! Definitely good call on Cosmium Blast, that's a defensive card. The two you suggest bringing in were my last cuts, could well be I should play them. I think the BBs are good, I have 9/10 artifacts and a couple token makers. No idea if Get Lost is worth playing, this is my first time seeing one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

palamedes posted:

Get lost is good, lots of big targets around. I 100% agree with whoever said to play wanderglyph and cloud guard, I'd cut one hammer and maybe one mine cart in addition to your tentative cuts. But I could be wrong about minecart, I played with it once and it didn't impress. Also agree that totes are uncuttable and you're a lucky duck for having 3.

A couple games in and I'm also not that impressed with Mine Cart. Looked really good on paper but it's no Smuggler's Thopter. Inti is brutal, I completely ran my opponent over the game I drew him. Uncertain on the Landmark so far, I made room for it by cutting a hammer and the T1 scry 2 was nice the time I drew it, as is having a random artifact around to tap.

e: I also played against someone who made the caves deck work and it seems pretty powerful if you can get it together. I played right into a Calamitous Cave-In and there was no coming back after that.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 17, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Went 4-3 with a variation on this deck. I feel like it could have done better but I'm too never sad to get my entry fee back. I think I made my biggest error losing to caves because I didn't see their sweeper coming, my other losses were getting stuck on 2 lands with all my 3s in hand and a tight game against dinos where they had just enough one for one answers to stay alive until they could get their big guys online. When I won I won hard.

Inti and Caparocti are both bombs, the Mine Cart was less good than I expected. Thousand Moons Infantry was pretty good, especially with the "tap 2 creatures or artifacts" effects. I think Oteclan Landmark was a good include. Tinker's Tote is obviously great but I didn't really have enough ways to make the most of it, although in combination with Sunshot Militia it did basically all of my damage in one game. Blademaster I liked, Get Lost has a serious downside but unconditional removal is still sometimes what you really need. Miner's Guidewing and Ironpaw Aspirant are a pretty 1-2 nice combo. Not 100% sold on Kinjalli's Dawnrunner in general or Oltec Cloud Guard in this deck specifically, they were both just OK.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Dinos are hard to remove, last time we needed a meteor to do it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

got some chores tonight posted:

One of things I find helpful when I actually do it is opening 17lands during the draft to see what was taken on the wheel. Sometimes good cards wheel because of bad evaluations, sometimes because it's the fourth best good common in a super deep pack, sometimes because it's actually wide open.

This tool can help with that by giving you the cards taken, as well as some stats from 17lands on the cards in each pack: https://github.com/bstaple1/MTGA_Draft_17Lands
It's a little janky in classic FOSS style but it works pretty well if you don't want to or can't use one of the more well known draft helpers/trackers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Haven't had a lot of time to play LCI so far but I got in my fourth draft this weekend, went 7-1 in QD with this deck.

I didn't really have high hopes for it after drafting because the explore synergies I wanted didn't come together and it felt a bit low on artifacts for that half of the deck, but I think I played every card in there at some point and they all felt pretty good. Just playing creatures early and following it up with interaction is sometimes enough for a trophy.

e: Malamet's Scythe performed better than I expected. I'm still not convinced it's properly good and if you want to hold it up then you're also representing like 4 other tricks in the format so people aren't likely to be that surprised. But the fact that after you win a combat you keep the extra two power is pretty strong. Same deal with Battle Glyph. Obviously both of those and explore interact nicely with Kutzil.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 26, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was also playing Standard yesterday to get my weekly XP wins before they refreshed. Went 9-2 with monowhite humans in Plat ladder, losing to monored and WBR Dragons (??). Not really sure what the rest of the meta is, I guess durdly midrange decks that I didn't get to see what they were doing before I killed them. I've liked humans for quite a while but it seems like they're especially good now: I guess nobody wants to play control with Cavern available and that means fewer sweepers to worry about.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Thanks for the analysis, I appreciate it! Still getting to grips with this format. Related to that I'm not sure how well you can splash here. I know there are a couple of caves but I think not much nonland fixing outside of RG? I'm doing another QD and at the end of pack 1 I have a decent UW start. Now I have this P2P1:

It seems to me the Belligerent is probably better than Waylaying Pirates if I can cast it but I don't have any other reason to be in red yet (Dinotomaton might wheel here I guess but I don't think I'd splash just for that). Do you speculate on the rare or just take another good, safe blue card and maybe wheel a Gemguard or cave?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That's fair, Pakpatiq is great but I don't have many instants and the rest of my blue is just decent: it's easy to tunnel on the rares/mythics. Thanks for the advice!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tezzeract posted:

I crafted Mono W and it's pretty powerful (my winrate is definitely lower than 9-2 though :)).

It's an interesting deck in that there are a lot of ways you can build it. The base is 4x Adeline, Thalia, Coppercoat Vanguard, Hopeful Initiate and Recruitment Officer, but the other slots are all up for debate and I've seen a lot of different versions with various utility creatures.

I'm playing Brutal Cathar with no Ossifications, and trying out Extraction Specialist for the first time at the moment. Spellbook Vendor I have one copy just to see and I'm unsure about whether it should be four or none. Basically everyone has 1-3 Skrelv, I'm currently on 2. My build has Resolute Reinforcements as a bit of a hedge against removal, but when Selesnya enchantments was more popular I played Cathar Commando instead. Knight-Errant is a great way to reload, but often tapping creatures to convoke feels bad over just attacking. Intrepid Adversary is sweet but seems out of favour at the moment. And then I've seen versions running the big bunny, various hand disruption stuff, lifegain, all sorts. I really have no idea what the best build is, but the base is powerful enough that you have a lot of room to experiment.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
How many UW 1-drops is too many... Really struggling with the last cuts here. I think I can get away with 16 lands?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Eeevil posted:

I considered asking the thread for advice on my FTP standard deck I made but then I realized I don't actually want any criticism, I just want to show people my cool deck, so I'm just going to do that

Boros Roles
Deck
2 Spellbook Vendor (WOE) 31
6 Plains (LTR) 263
2 Charming Scoundrel (WOE) 124
4 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
8 Mountain (LTR) 269
4 Embereth Veteran (WOE) 127
4 A Tale for the Ages (WOE) 34
2 Archon of the Wild Rose (WOE) 1
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
3 Goddric, Cloaked Reveler (WOE) 132
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Restless Bivouac (WOE) 257
3 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
1 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
2 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
3 Etali's Favor (LCI) 149
4 Twinblade Geist (VOW) 40
2 Ash, Party Crasher (WOE) 201
2 Heartflame Duelist (WOE) 228
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276

Positive comments only please

I built it and played a few games in the standard play, seems fun. I went +1 Charming Scoundrel, -1 ATftA and slightly different lands just to suit what was already in my collection.

e: I think you could also maybe play Cavern of Souls if you have them.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone else having connection issues at the moment? Drafted a sick LCI deck (P1P1 Bonehoard Dracosaur followed by a bunch of good blue/red) and then when I tried to play my first match I got kicked from the client, had to log in three times and wait like 5 minutes to get back to the splash screen and now the client is unresponsive again. I can't even tell if I got into a match and lost to timeout yet. My internet seems fine otherwise. Guess I'll file for reimbursement if I lost a game but I want to play this deck!