Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
when does DMU go up on arena? Tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Horace Kinch posted:

So is sealed like draft except instead of picking and passing packs it just throws a bunch of cards in your face? I have a bunch of gold saved up and was tempted to try it.

Sealed gives you 6 packs straight up to build your deck out of. Less synergistic and usually quite a bit slower format than draft is, some cards are better in sealed vs draft due to the splashy and slower nature of sealed.

Drafted a GW go wide deck with a couple red splashes and Llanowar Stalker combined with Baird is insane

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The defender deck can definitely get there, which I was not expecting. The defender that makes birds is definitely critical though, to the point I do not think I would go into the deck unless I've picked one up. Walking Bulwark is good too, but not enough to convince me to go into the defender deck the same way

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am begging please stop letting my opponents have multiple territorial maros

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it's definitely not the best thing you can do in the format but captain's call for 3 1/1s and then immediately bone splinters has been game defining for me so far

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Definitely bone splinters. Fires is not a double splash level card and the single splash isn't doing you much later in the game as it is

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Managed to trophy with this thing almost entirely off the back of Elas and the cult conscripts. Feels like if you're going to be a low curve aggressive deck you really can't be mucking around with too many taplands and splashes because your window to kill gets absolutely slammed shut if the go big domain or defender decks get a chance to get onto the board. I know that's a typical thing for aggro in any format but it feels especially pronounced here with the off-color kicker cards and encouragement toward a splash color. As a sidenote, Captain's Call is 100% gonna be my most drafted card, it just always seems to have a use

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

studio mujahideen posted:

captains call into phalanx has been a consistently great combo

I really need to value the phalanx higher they never seem to wheel for me but I am not picking them highly at all. They seem good in those UW and GW token decks that get a nice benefit out of being to put those both out the same turn or phalanx + other spell same turn.

Format so far seems real good. It looks like right now on 17lands the aggro two color decks have the best win rates but I wonder if that has to do with too many people trying to get cute with splashing and tap lands rather than the big stuff decks not being able to compete. I’ve seen a lot of opponents playing some really questionable splashes just because the format enables it well

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

That defender draft deck can be a real shitter. I imagine if people aren't fighting for it you can pick up multiple chaplains. Hopefully they adjust the bots before dropping quick draft so it doesn't turn into another eldraine mill format.

People absolutely are not valuing the chaplains highly right now. I have to imagine that changes in the next few days once people start hearing how busted it is from content creators and 17lands. It's currently at 67.1% games in hand win rate on 17lands and 3rd best winrate in the entire format behind only Archangel of Wrath and Sheoldred. My last draft had at least 2 opened in pack 3 going around late but I was too far away from the deck to pivot at that point. Instead I drafted

4-color + a plains for the domain on Nael mostly. Currently 3-0 with it, it has felt pretty good. I'm more impressed with Floriferous Vinewall than I thought I would be; in these decks that really want to get there for so many different colors, I've felt safe keeping a 2 lander with a vinewall knowing I'll be getting my third land guaranteed with an ok chance at it being a color I want at that moment. Tatyova too, I wasn't sure how 'lands past 7' would play out but immediately slamming doing slimefoot's survey for 2 duals after playing her has been game winning.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My most aggressive decks have been 2 colors with maybe a splash but you can definitely play two color decks and they are the most winning decks so far. The format definitely gives you the room to be 3+ color if you are able to just keep yourself alive through the early game though

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do not care if micromancer ends up being the #1 best card in DMU somehow, my brain’s wired to tell me that card is stone unplayable and I will never ever play it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really want to draft the UR aggro spells deck but it just never seems open at my seat. How're folks getting into that deck?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeinPanzer posted:

Any advice on this draft pool?

Kind of an embarrassment of UR riches, including 5(!) Lightning Strikes (probably could have passed up the last one, to be honest). Was hoping for another Wx dual land but never got it. Should I bother including the Serra Paragon, or is it the casting cost too onerous for a splash?

out: flowstone infusion, mana filter guy, the 1/1 green kicker guy
in: 2x lightning strike, Rona's Vortex, UB dual

don't splash paragon and there are probably other changes to make but that is what I see immediately

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Got to play Soul of Windgrace and Braids, saccing a land to get it back every turn and forcing my opponent to sac lands or let me draw was awesome. Format rules.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone want to take a look at a very rough set of sealed packs and give me their thoughts on what to play? 1 playable rare (and 3 painlands) and nothing really is jumping out to me here. I think I have to play black because double bone splinters is all I really have for removal, maybe black/red splash green for radha and blue for rona's vortex? Pool feels like a low powered mess

https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/pool/bfd8a4469f3645968f660ff255059e2d

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wei posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/9U00j6NSJQ

Something like this? I'm phone posting so I can't do a proper build. White gives you Aron and fodder for Bone Splinters. The defender package is small but okay, hopefully you can recur Wingmantle Chaplain (you can sac her to splinters or the rare Cleric). You can splash any third colour for relatively cheap, I just went with blue for Micromancer and another interaction spell. Essence Scatter is playable too.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure about the defender package, I really dislike running Drawbridges

huh! totally different direction than the way I was looking at it but I think I was a bit too hung up on keeping the red defiler in even though there isn't much going on in my red. I thought about trying to make the Wingmantle Chaplain work as well but those clockwork drawbridges feel like they hold it back, like I'm one good wall away from feeling good with the package. I like Micromancer in this deck with the bone splinters and vortex though, feels like a solid choice to go with the blue.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Decided to give Bo3 draft a shot and have been in the queue for 5 min with only half the seats filled. Wild how long it takes compared to Bo1

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

I am tired of DMU drafts. I can't get past 4 wins. Trying out one more sealed run.

https://sealeddeck.tech/GyS4y89ULo

Any ideas? It's red and something. White's too weak. Blue looks strong with Djinn and the bounce spells. Black weak but there's liliana, and green has some muscle. Either Izzet or Gruul.

there are much better players in this thread than me but I'm greedy and would go with this.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
idk who told me the competition in Bo3 is softer than Bo1 but you were very right and I have enjoyed my trophy drafts with decks that really don't deserve it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

and my next opponent also has three of them

why, literally why do i only get matched against these kinds of assholes

yes i'm so glad of this variety :shepicide:

Post your decks

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

reignonyourparade posted:

A big part of that was he completely misused it, there were multiple games where it woulda won things for him if he understood how it actually worked (you don't need a target in the graveyard to get the +1/+1 counters.)

That doesn’t seem right, it doesn’t say “up to one target permanent” in the graveyard, it says target permanent. It doesn’t fizzle if the target is removed because it has two targets (graveyard permanent and player) but my understanding of the rules is you have to fulfill the targeting conditions of the card to cast the card

e; just tried on arena against sparky and confirmed you cannot cast without a graveyard target

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 13, 2022

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.17lands.com/draft/7cf563e09a044024ad3f6dc7ddd6d27f

Curious about a review of this draft. Felt like a tough one, not sure if I missed something else that was a better path to take. Ended up going 3-0 with it, but it seemed like a good one to go back and review for different picks

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 14, 2022

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

<draft review>

Thanks for going so deep on that! I struggled over that p1p3 pick for a while, and definitely think if I had gone Lagamos I would've had a lot better direction for the rest of the draft.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's only been a day since I ran out of currency, maybe if this goes pozzy I will count it as part of the initial campaign lol
Event #23

https://www.17lands.com/draft/03684c2a0fee4bb2bdefb681acd0f2d6
I first picked Archangel of Wrath but it felt like I got cut out of white. I got enough good cards fed to me that I thought I could stick around, but those were mainly Destroy Evils which are still underrated by drafters? Do I really leave Archangel in the sideboard and play UR lol

I think this was the hardest decision in the draft? I ended up taking Battle Hymn but maybe the Amplifier would have been good, I was already light on creature threats (for a normal archetype, maybe in UR spells it's deece?)

Edit: -1 Thran Portal, +1 Furious Bellow. I kept the portal in thinking of Firebrand upside but thats pie in the sky thinking

Archangel is at its best as base white that can splash for the kicker colors if they aren’t the secondary color. Your deck isn’t gonna maximize it in any set of circumstances and it’s a double white card. It’s tough to leave it in the board, I totally get that with a card this powerful, but this deck can’t fit it in here. If there was gonna be a time to make it work it was somewhere in the draft (I haven’t looked at it at all). Hymn over amplifier for me, your deck at the time was more hurting for interaction than creatures, so there’s no way I’d pass up one of the best removal spells in the format that also looks to be entirely on color

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Going into pack 3 I had no idea what this deck was trying to do, then got passed chaplain p3p3 and herd migration p3p6, and that lead to an easy trophy. Karn's Sylex may be my favorite turn 3 play in the format. Being able to drop it early against more aggressive decks while I'm playing some taplands and then just wait was a real strategy in multiple games. Also I got to live the dream once of crewing Argosy with Chaplain, 2x Vinewall, and a Coral Colony (and the Outrider). I need to stop drafting Soul of Windgrace though that thing never ever performs like I hope it would.

Really have been loving this format. If you don't open anything to pull you in a particular direction you can be greatly rewarded by making sure to stay open and knowing when you aren't getting the things you need.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

Anybody has suggestions on this deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/6c3d1cfdbdc34e158d5c77e0c3bbf81c - do I need another two-drop? Could cut Necromass or one of the 4s maybe. I've never seen Stroonghold Arena played so I'm assuming it's not very good and too slow.

+Monstrous War Leech
+Vivisector
+ Island
-Coral Colony
-Elas
-Plains

If you're worried about 2 drops, Elas is not going to solve that problem as a result of being a splash color. a second vivisector is much more likely to come down on curve. Also, you don't really want your stuff to die to fill your yard, you want to do it with your soultender, uurg, and monstrous war leech. I don't know that I'd play Espionage here, and honestly I might swap it out with Soaring Drake, but that may just come down to personal preference. Tolarian Geyser is fine without the kicker, warhorse less so but still playable. You want to make sure you maximize your chances of having blue early for essence scatter and aether channeler. You are correct Stronghold Arena is bad, and especially in this deck where you could surprise take 8.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This makes sense.

Maybe I did it again lol

Event #25

https://www.17lands.com/draft/0480b551370d4c2a9116a3dcd3fc494b

Getting passed multiple Rona's Vortexes and Micromancer anchored me in blue even if I didn't get much else. Ivy gets to stay because I think the number of pump spells makes the chances of getting value higher? Looks like I have to run meteorite but I have enough kickers that it feels useful enough.

Filled in the rest of the deck with green beaters and stuff that benefits from Domain. White splash is probably out of the cards but I wonder if I could push black (and making Vortexes more effective)?

this draft and the one before it feel like you're drafting cards not drafting a deck. I'm looking at p2p4, p2p5, p2p6, and wondering where you see the deck going at that point? You look to be building a UG based aggressive domain deck to me, but then missionary (this is fine), then take the UB land despite already having one and your blue cards (the vortexes) needing black AND blue. The U/W land makes more sense for enabling your white stuff and giving you access to what you need, I think. Then p6 you take Uurg, a BB card that doesn't play well in the deck you're currently looking at or with where your deck is going while passing a Rootwalla, the perfect card for the deck you have. Then going into p3p1 you desperately need lands to fill out what you're trying to do here over your fifth! pump spell.

You can get a lot out of this format by staying open, but staying open does require you to look at your cards more as you go to best determine when it's time to commit and as well as your pick orders being weighted against what you picked before.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Death of Rats posted:

Could I get a draft critique please? I'm doing pretty well so far (2-0 in Traditional), but I'm knackered and thus finally have the time/patience to offer a deck for review before the draft is over.

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/3aee18da440e4a7f9ca0895e508fd373
Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/3aee18da440e4a7f9ca0895e508fd373

This format is super interesting, but it's hard as balls to actually draft well. So any feedback is greatfully accepted.

Gonna try my first attempt at an in depth review as I go here

P1p5: not sure this pick matters a ton but I would’ve probably picked iconoclast or bone splinters here. Not really hyped about anything in this pack though so it’s a bit of a wash
P1p6: I like this one, of the cost reducers I find necromass really hard to get later. At this point I’m thinking UB control maybe with a splash?
P2p1: I am not sure it’s correct but I would’ve taken Talos Lookout here since they give you card selection and fuel for leech, necromass, and terror. That said you do want some more spells and scrutiny is solid so this comes down to pref I think.
P2p9: nice the lookout comes back on the wheel, that scrutiny pick paid off!
P3p4: easy land or terror over the figment. Doesn’t block too well and you’re in for a long game deck
P3p5: I’m not a fan of uurg in these kinds of decks. I find it typically doesn’t do what you’d hope when you want it. Another war leech though, that’s right up your alley. Buuut there’s also the land, and I think ultimately with ur org repossession and the miasma, I’d land on the BG or even the GW land which would fuel both your kicker color needs.

Deck looks good to me though! The few changes I have throughout the draft aren’t game changers by any means and I think you found the open lane at your seat and capitalized on it well. In the final deck I’d make a couple changes

+1 splatter goblin
+1 gibberish barricade
-1 haunting figment
-1 braids frightful return

I like goblin over figment as it does a lot more to slow my opponents down and that -1/-1 can out in a lot of work. Gibberish barricade is just a good card.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

I had a really weird draft today where I got Jaya P1P1 then couldn't find any sort of lane in the first pack, stumbled across a chaplain P2 and tried to go for defenders but even getting gifted another chaplain the deck in the end sucked rear end because it was just a weird mishmash of W,U,R. https://www.17lands.com/draft/19a78780beb24bea94fa3325b2910a29 Looking back at the draft I really have no idea where I was supposed to go, maybe UG splashing either W or R?

I think you got stuck on needing to be white which you really didn't need to be, . P3P1 taking captain's call over Talas Lookout is insane in what seems like it could've been an ok UR spells deck with chaplains and Tura splash. Also back p1p3 I would've taken the speculative terror since Jaya plays so well in UR spells

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Urborg Lhurgoyf has been gas every time I've drafted it and p1p1 lhurgoyf into p1p2 eerie soultender is setting you up for a good time. I don't see anything else in that pack that I would consider p1p1 over the goyf

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, went 2-3 with this, which I guess was to be expected lol and is exactly one win short of clawing back over the line for another draft. Last loss was to a deck that went Archangel of Wrath into Darien and they even had the Shore Up to block my Mindsinger (which only worked in one game really, every other game opp had counterspells or shore ups or even just pumping to put their creature out of range lol).

"Play until you run out of money" always ends on a down note, but 35 events off my initial 50 dollar buy-in isn't the worst I guess.

I guess it's interesting, however, to look at the overall patterns -- two weeks ago I was on a relative hot streak (including 3 trophies) and I was beginning to think I had a handle on the format. Then this week was 5 negative drafts in a row which was enough to clean me out. I don't think I played substantially worse in the games (any mistakes I made here I would have made two weeks ago) and I consciously avoided playing on tilt, but it did feel like I kept on drafting worse decks. Is it just variance? Did I miss a turn in the metagame? Or is it just that the people left drafting the format this late are the grinders and I hit my skill wall?

The longer a limited format is out, the more you’re going to play against harder competition. I’m sure a lot of people “buy in” at the start of a format and run that for as long as it can go, so it stands to reason that over time the folks still playing are those that have been able to keep that funding going via good draft results. Most people don’t draft much at all past the first few weeks of a new set and those that do tend to be more in tune with the meta either via 17 lands or competitive focused limited content

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Surprised at all those SNC Alchemy changes but no change to Inspiring Overseer

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Played the Johnny deck and played the “cast a spell proliferate” card then copied my Ajani Sleeper Agent with spark double, played a spell, ulted both ajanis then paradoxical outcome’d my creature back to my hand to replay them and win via ajani poison counters. Deck rules.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Meathook ban is good and opens the door to really shake up the meta. Invoke gets significantly worse in a go-wide meta and not being able to fire off meathook to wipe up mirror breaker/wedding annoucement tokens or other go wide strats is going to give breathing room for both aggro. Similarly, it indirectly impacts Liliana by making it harder to keep her alive rather than just sweeping the small stuff, keep your sheoldred, and dropping Liliana in the same turn.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have seen a lot of the other three cards but I don't think I've seen Ao in standard lol

I'm playing it in my very mid esper legends deck, but the deck is not good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
did one DMU Alchemy draft and decided that's enough of that for me, but did manage to use an alchemy card to great effect at least grabbing an easy trophy. Playing Trove Mage on 3 to grab a shield wall sentinel and then starting that chain on 4 multiple times was clutch. Got to live the dream of bortuk my wingmantle back into play, then later urborg repo both bortuk and wingmantle, then bortuk wingmantle again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But why are they *basic*.

I played Domain in standard back in Invasion block, it was balanced when the fastest you could get rolling was an "at-the-end of their turn before your turn 4 cast Harrow", and only proceeded to get more busted when I started adding Mirrodin block cards to it, this is just loving stupid and ridiculous.

I don’t know how to break it to you but Invasion block was 20+ years ago and the cards are much stronger now, having domain 5 on t2 isn’t really anything to write home about

I’ve been playing BW walls in plat and diamond and it has been really funny. Even wins a decent amount! Faith bound Judge rules

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

palamedes posted:

Could I see a list? Orzhov walls sounds fun.

sure! This is what I'm doing right now. Added the Fall of Lord Konda recently and I'm not sold on it yet (I took out Clockwork Drawbridge because I've found myself really having a lot of uses for my mana), been really liking Reito Sentinel against Tenacious Underdog and Graveyard Trespasser, Farewell for if the game somehow gets away from you but Wingmantle tends to take care of that. I miight want to find some way to add some card advantage in here at some point because sometimes you just stall out

Deck
4 Wingmantle Chaplain (DMU) 3
7 Swamp (HBG) 300
3 Blight Pile (DMU) 82
5 Plains (HBG) 292
3 Gibbering Barricade (DMU) 95
3 Concealing Curtains (VOW) 101
4 Faithbound Judge (VOW) 12
2 Shield-Wall Sentinel (DMU) 238
4 Reito Sentinel (NEO) 256
3 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
3 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
3 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
4 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
2 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
3 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Farewell (NEO) 13
3 Fateful Absence (MID) 18
2 The Fall of Lord Konda (NEO) 12

e; also I had tried Walking Bulwark but never seemed to find a good use for it. It probably could fit in here, it just seemed to never be what I wanted

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 16, 2022

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope when the pain lands come out in brothers war that we get a good 5c control deck, the most fun type of deck

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

an exercise for the reader: without looking ahead, give me your thoughts on the first picks of pack 1 in this draft. this was my first DMU draft since since release week, these picks was really tough and I'm curious if people would arrive at the same choices (at least until pick 7 which turns the draft into an on-rails RW bonanza).

the games were pretty funny too, especially the last 3 games which were like a progression through the final bosses of the format. what a deck.

p1p1 I'm between Elder Dragon War and Weatherseed Treaty probably. Both are really good. I think I'd go with Elder Dragon War because the thing can be a blow out against the aggressive decks that seem to be popular right now and later just cashing in for a 4/4 flyer for 4 is a pretty good fail case, but I wouldn't fault anyone for Weatherseed Treaty here
p1p2 Dragon Whelp, Argivian Cavalier, Tolarian Terror are my options. Whelp keeps me in red but isn't especially great, so I think I'd narrow it down to terror or cavalier. I'd spec on Terror though since it is not easy to get them these days and Elder Dragon War and Terror can definitely end up in the same UR spells deck. Don't think I'm at a point where I'd take a land here.
p1p3 Tough pick. I think Iconoclast makes sense given the land you picked last pack. Nothing here really stands out to me, I'd take Idllyic Beachfront if I took Terror p2.
p1p4 great red doesn't seem to be coming, I'd take Joint Exploration as a spec pick here and an out to go into UG if I wanted.
p1p5 I think here it'd be making a stand time. It's possible that there just hasn't been good red to reach you coming around. Steelcrusher and Whelp are both fine, I think I'd spec on whelp here
p1p6 another dragon whelp, I think I'd go with that.
p1p7 easy take up the shield here
p1p8 I'd take Cleaving Skyrider over Keldon Strike team, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I'm not even sure if that's right, but I've won a lot of games off of Skyrider flash to burn out my opponent
p1p9 Argivian Phalanx for me, Tori has been completely unimpressive for me

I went through the rest of the draft after that and it looked like a very good WR deck! getting two(!) heroic charges p3p8 and p3p11 is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
57.1% winrate in DMU. My winrate has been on a slow increase from when I started tracking it in VOW at a pretty bad 48% but this set was a ~5% jump from HBG and SNC. Definitely felt the format jived with me even after not finding it that interesting in spoiler season. Felt easier to get a deck to come together but also easier to completely trainwreck.