Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Greetings, Planeswalker! Magic the Gathering: Arena is a digital implementation of the venerable and popular collectable card game. It’s beautiful, it’s fun, it’s casual, it’s totally playable without grinding yourself into a paste. Most importantly, it’s MAGIC with very few caveats.

Let’s start with the links, and not make folks scroll like crazy to find where I hid them:

Arena download site: https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena
Trad Games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979741
Daily MTG: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles
Discord: https://discord.gg/5tsv4tmBdE
Deck overlay/collection tracker: https://mtgarena.pro/
Card database: https://scryfall.com/
Deck ideas and meta info: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/
Less-proven/currently brewing deck ideas: https://twitter.com/ArenaDecklists
Competitive reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/
Currently active promo codes: https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-promo-codes/
Submit a ticket (for reimbursement after something you paid for breaks): https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Limited deck recording, tracking and replays: https://www.17lands.com/
Deck Overlay (good one): https://mtga.untapped.gg/

Welcome to the good one. Many of the common complaints about other CCGs go back to limitations those games placed on themselves due to technology at the time.

The upside is you get to play on your opponent’s turn. Spend some time getting used to the phases of each turn. Google “priority” in MTG terms, and get used to the idea of the stack and how triggers work (and resolve).

Combat works very differently in Magic than in many other digital CCGs. Most people here will tell you it’s better. Functionally it makes games a bit slower, but also a LOT less snowbally.

Welcome back! Many people used the Arena launch as an on-ramp back into a game they found too time- or cash-consuming. The good news is Arena is, in fact, MUCH less time- and cash- consuming.

You give up the ability to “cash out” your physical collection, so the game is 0% investment. It's NOT a CCG. It's a video game. There's no market to play or groundfloors to get in on. But for most people, $20-30 each set will go a long way toward making this a full Magic experience.

Now go check the price of a Scalding Tarn.

What can I do?

Magic is split broadly into two formats: constructed and limited. Constructed is decks you bring with you (standard, Brawl, pauper), limited is decks you build as part of the event (booster draft, sealed). Every constructed event has its own rules about deck construction.

Both constructed and limited offer Best of One (Bo1) and Best of Three (Bo3) modes. In general, Bo1 offers faster, more varied, and more random play. Bo1 is how most digital games are played and is best for when you want to jam games for an indeterminate amount of time. It’s more random, so DO NOT GET SALTY about Bo1.

Bo3 offers longer, more strategic matches. Bo3 is how paper Magic is played in tournaments, so many familiar players prefer it. It takes more time and meta knowledge than Bo1, but it’s still very much Magic, so DO NOT GET SALTY about Bo3.

There is a limited ladder and a constructed ladder. Bo1 and Bo3 share a ladder but will not queue into each other (obviously).

What is the ladder?

Ladder is similar to most other games. You win and go up; you lose and go down. The rank tiers (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Mythic) have floors, so you can’t drop from Gold to Silver, but you can drop from Gold 1 to Gold 2. If you are having trouble in the unranked queue, jumping into ranked might be a great idea. Ranked will pair you with other people who are just starting out (or who are just coming back from a long break).

The rewards for ladder are intentionally VERY flat. The difference between Plat and Mythic is several hundred games played and only a few packs in rewards. This is the game’s way of telling you, “Plat 4 is fine, chill out and play what and when you want.”

Let me yell this from the rafters: If you are playing a reasonably competitive deck reasonably well, your rank prior to Mythic is a function of your time played more than your skill. R E LA X

How does the economy work?

There are a handful of currencies in Arena.

Gold is the hand-out currency, and it is most-commonly earned by completing your daily quests. You can spend gold on packs (1000 gold = 1 pack) or on events (5,000 gold for entry into one booster draft being the most popular, some tournament-structured events have gold buy-ins).

Gems are the in-app-purchase currency. You will most likely acquire them via paying money into the game. They also are granted as a reward for doing well in certain events. The most reliable way to convert gold into gems by using gold to enter Ranked Draft mode.

Experience is earned by completing quests, participating in events, cashing in codes, and winning games (up to a 15-game-per-week cap, rotating on Sunday morning, EST). Experience earns you free packs in the Mastery system.

Orbs are earned along the Mastery system, as well, and are used for unlocking the cosmetic versions of cards.

What is the Mastery system?

The Mastery system is Arena’s answer to season passes. On the free path, you earn a pack of the newest set every other level, plus some cosmetic Orbs. Paying the gem-equivalent of $20 gets you the season pass, which has larger and more varied rewards, plus a few other cosmetic trinkets.

How do I craft cards?

Opening packs earns you Wild Cards. You collect Wild Cards of every rarity (Common, Uncommon, Rare, Mythic), which you spend in the collection manager to acquire individual cards. You earn an uncommon and a rare wild card every six packs you open, and a mythic every fifth time around the circle. You can also open a Wild Card IN the pack (as in your rare for pack is a rare wild card). A rare wildcard is the best thing you can open.

There is duplicate protection in place on rare and mythic cards. You WILL NOT open a rare or mythic card of which you already own a playset (4 copies). The game simply rerolls that card in the background for you. Common and uncommon cards do not have duplicate protection.

Every common and uncommon you open past your 4th goes a small percentage toward unlocking your Vault. When the Vault hits 100% you get a little treasure chest in your top bar; clicking it gives you a small handful of Wild Cards. You start building toward your next vault immediately, whether you click the chest immediately or not. In practice, don’t worry too much about the Vault, it’ll just happen on its own about once per set and the rewards are relatively small.

How do I build a collection?

How you build your collection will depend on your goals and how you want to play. If you love to play constructed, spend your gold on packs. Packs lead to Wild Cards, which are what you use to craft your stuff. 5,000 gold is five swings at opening a card you need, plus moves you nearly all the way around to unlocking a rare Wild Card.

If you love to draft, spend your gold on drafts. You will earn wild cards more slowly this way, but you need them less because you primarily want to draft. 5,000 will give you any rares you draft, but only the packs you open as rewards will go toward your Wild Card wheel.

Craft cards you want to play in decks you expect to be fun. If you want to craft a card you currently own zero copies of, click over to the search interface and click on the toggle for cards not yet in your collection. They'll show up dark in the UI to show you don't have any, but you can craft them from here.

I’m brand new ...

First off, I'll repeat this link from above. Every set has its own promo code for some free packs, and they'll occasionally put out codes for other freebies. After you finish the new-player stuff, go try every code on this page:

https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-promo-codes/

OK, done. I'm brand new, what deck should I build?

This is far and away the most-asked question, and also the hardest one to answer in an OP. Intro decks are going to change nearly every set, and “what deck is good?” is going to change a lot more often than that. So here’s a link:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

This contains the best information for what decks and cards are good at any given moment. It has recent tournament results, broad strokes at the current meta, and playable budget decks.

Look for cards that fit both into some of the budget lists and the current meta, and start there.

If you just want to play games to win, there’s almost always a common/uncommon heavy aggro deck that focuses on a handful of rares and a basic-heavy manabase. Seek it out. Feel free to ask the thread. We'd rather steer you in the right direction than have you spend all your new-player Wild Cards on a deck that is not going to be fun.

I want to spend some money, what’s the best way to do it?

Finish the New Player Experience completely to unlock the starter decks and cards, then buy the intro bundle. Its contents will probably change from set to set, but it’s always going to be the best value starting out.

Can I go infinite like on MTGO?

Probably not, it’s much harder in Arena.

Are they going to put in old sets?

Yes! The long-term plan is for Pioneer to be playable on Arena (see "What is Explorer?" section below). This means some large chunks of cards need to be dropped into the game. The plan was originally to rush Pioneer onto Arena, but the rising popularity of Historic and the success of the release of pre-launch sets seems to have shifted priorities behind the scenes. Right now, we seem to be alternating between dumping large sets of non-Pioneer cards into Historic (via Jumpstarts and other supplemental products) and releasing "Remastered" sets for blocks that were published into Pioneer before Arena launched. Explorer is here. Pioneer is coming. The timeline for that full transition is measured in years, not months.

What is Alchemy?

In early 2022, Wizards launched a new Arena-only format (a "Live" format, in WotC terms) named Alchemy. The format is parallel to Standard, sharing rotations and largely sharing cardpools, however Alchemy includes digital-only cards: specifically, cards in Standard that have been adjusted for power level and cards introduced specifically for Alchemy. As Historic is also a Live format, all powerlevel changes to Standard cards also carry over to Historic.

What is rotation?

Every year in the fall, Magic releases a new set. And with the fall set’s release, Standard rotates out all the sets from 3 years ago and Alchemy rotates out all the sets from 2 years ago (the goal being to keep the Alchemy metagame churning more often while allowing paper Standard players to enjoy their physical cards a bit longer).

https://whatsinstandard.com/

What is Historic?

Historic is the non-rotating "Modern-ish" format of Arena. It comprises every card available on Arena, starting with the game's open beta launch. Historic will eventually include the complete card list of Pioneer, but also has had larger releases of cards specifically for Historic that mostly have comprised cards not legal in Pioneer. The overall idea is, "If you can play it on Arena, you can play it in Historic."

Historic, of course, maintains its own large banlist, along with a "Suspended" list. Suspended cards are on time out as the team decides whether to remove them permanently from the format (potentially resulting in wild card refunds) or let them back in once the format has gotten more powerful. Cards have actually returned from suspension: Field of the Dead returned (and was eventually banned), Burning-Tree Emissary was unsuspended and has been unproblematic.

Historic's design goal seems to point at it being "Powerful, Fair Magic." Fetches are banned as are most game-winning combo pieces and oppressive strategies.

What is Timeless
Timeless is the non-rotating "Vintage-ish" format of Arena. It comprises every card available on Arena, period. That includes fetch lands and combo pieces with only a Restricted list protecting us from the most absurdly broken strategies.

What is Explorer?

Explorer is the non-rotating "Pioneer-ish" format on Arena. It comprises all Pioneer-legal cards currently implemented in Arena. The plan is to introduce all the relevant cards for Pioneer over a few years, then eventually retire the name Explorer and just call it Pioneer, aligning it with paper and MTGO. Explorer is a paper-aligning format. Alchemy changes are not live, and its banlist will largely match Pioneer until the Explorer-to-Pioneer transition is possible. Explorers lead to Pioneers, get it?

What is the most efficient way to break into Historic as a newer player?

kalel posted:

there were historic cards released in special "historic anthology" sets which you could buy in bundles, but there were also events called "jumpstart" which introduced new cards into arena. those cards could only be acquired by playing the jumpstart event (basically you choose two precons with one or two rares each and combine them into a deck, the contents of which were added to your collection) or by spending WC's. (one fucky thing is that the second jumpstart added some modern horizons 1 and 2 cards but these aren't searchable in the collection search interface, you need to manually type set:mh1 or set:mh2 into the search bar to see these)

if you're looking to buy packs specifically to break into historic, there's no real "best" set in terms of staples. most tier 1 decks use cards from all across the arena card pool. the real benefit to cracking packs is accruing wildcards, especially rare wild cards; opening six packs completes the "wildcard wheel" and nets you a guaranteed rare/mythic wc and uncommon wc, plus there's a chance you get bonus WCs of any rarity in any pack.

that being said, eldraine and ikoria are probably the most dense in terms of historic-usable rares but only by a very small percentage. my personal recommendation is to open standard packs, or better yet, draft the current set, because you get the same amount of WCs as packs from any other set, and WCs are the real bottleneck for constructed decks on arena; plus, by getting standard legal cards from the packs you open, it opens up the opportunity to play standard formats that use the standard card pool, especially brawl, which is a great format for beginners to accomplish dailies since you only need one copy of each card you want.

one last thing. A new format, alchemy, was introduced with a special anthology-esque collection of online-only cards with essentially hearthstone-lite mechanics, e.g. "put a random creature card of any on arena into your hand." these cards can currently only be created by using WC's, and not only are they legal in historic, but they've significantly impacted the metagame. wotc is also starting to apply monthly online-only balance updates to both these cards and real life standard-legal cards—these balance updates apply to the arena-only formats, which are alchemy and historic (and their derivatives). What this means is that if you craft a card, know that 1) you get the rebalanced version, for use in historic and alchemy, in addition to the paper version, for use in standard, and 2) wotc does NOT (currently) provide wildcard refunds for rebalanced cards. You may craft a card only for its text (in historic and alchemy) to be changed with the next update, and you're out those resources. Craft at your own risk.

now somebody stick this in the op so I don't have to type it all out again

What's the deal with packs?

If you came from paper, you're familiar with 15-card boosters. Arena introduces 8-card boosters as well, and they perform different functions. When you buy a pack with gold or earn it through a reward you get an 8-card pack. This has duplicate protection and advances your Wild Card wheels. You can open Wild Cards in these packs.

The 15-card packs still exist, but only as part of limited. There is no duplicate protection and opening them does not advance your Wild Card wheels. If you draft (or open in a Sealed pool) a rare or mythic you already have four copies of, you'll play the event with that card and be given some gems to compensate.

Where do I submit a reimbursement request? Just had a draft stall and fail on P1P12. (Or similar game-breaking bugs.)

https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

What is everybody talking about?

Often, players will refer to their deck’s colors by the officially sanctioned WotC names.

The Guilds (introduced in Ravnica block):

White + Blue = Azorius
Blue + Black = Dimir
Black + Red = Rakdos
Red + Green = Gruul
Green + White = Selesnya
White + Black = Orzhov
Blue + Red = Izzet
Black + Green = Golgari
Red + White = Boros
Green + Blue = Simic

The shards (introduced in Shards of Alara block, representing a color and the two colors it’s touching on the color wheel):

Red + green + black = Jund
White + green + blue = Bant
Black + red + blue = Grixis
Green + white + red = Naya
Blue + white + black = Esper

The wedges (introduced in Khans of Tarkir, representing a color and the two colors it is NOT touching on the color wheel):

Blue + red + white = Jeskai
Red + white + black = Mardu
Black + green + blue = Sultai
Green + blue + red = Temur
White + black + green = Abzan

Four- and five-color have some informal names but nothing yet set in stone.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It feels like another lifetime that I thought I could keep up with the top 1200 when even the pros who have played for years are fighting tooth and nail on the last day lol

https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1565030691754196994

Maybe I will leave behind all that bad energy. New thread, new day

There's a certain type of person ... and I AM that person ... that those stat trackers are like poison in your brain. Just watching the number go up and down makes enjoying playing impossible. It gives every game stakes, even if it's just stakes in the number.

I totally understand for some people that's what gets the juices pumping to play in the first place, but I think it's very important to know what kind of person you are and how your mental health is affected by those trackers. Don't be afraid to just feel your W/L on vibes, assume you're doing pretty well, and enjoy the ride. I spent a season pushing for rank in Hearthstone a million years ago, nearly gave myself an ulcer, then never played another match after reset. That's definitely not everybody, but was definitely me. You gotta know if it's you.

Magic Arena does not reward success proportionate to the effort required to succeed. That's not a bug, it's a design ethos.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My limited advice is to draft the first rare that looks like it could end a game, force those colors the rest of the way. Then when you 7-X you feel smart and when you 0-3 you can blame the table for "being too inexperienced to read my signals."

Also, if you wait until just before the season resets, you can buy into whichever quickdraft is live on both sides of the reset. Then play a game in both months off one draft and you only have to do one every other month to get the season reward for Bronze.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is the most gold I've had saved up going into a set since that time they broke quest completion.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder why some spots on the Mastery track are on fire.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Me on the play with Izzet blitz: "Haha, hoho bolt your guy swing for 10. I am a genius!"

Me on the draw with Izzet blitz: "It should be a federal crime to interact with my board before T3."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll tell you what they need to do.

Swap the shockland interface back to the way it was.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I'll concede games I'm probably technically winning just because I'm bored. Or if I make a blunder and get mad at myself even if it isn't game-losing.

Just like, when it's time to be doing something else I just hit da brix. If I'm x-2 in a draft but the deck is annoying I'll just queue and scoop someone a win. Life's short.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've used the common-rarity black bear exclusively since it was released, and he's been sitting all over the place this set. It's pretty charming.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Living it up in the Explorer Bo3 queue, currently two pips into Plat 4 going up against the 35th ranked Mythic player.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone looking for something new to do in Explorer, Gobs is being pretty kind to me over the past couple of days.

https://mtgazone.com/deck/explorer-boros-goblins-by-cunicoligoblin-56-mythic-september-2022-ranked-season/

The format's removal right now is VERY 1-for-1 heavy, so you're pretty resilient to Rakdos. Four Skalds is probably heavy, but I keep beating control decks so maybe it just isn't.

Skalds plus Icon plus Hordemaster gives you a ton of bounceback, and Battle Cry Goblin is your wincon more often than not.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

I have questions, why no snoops, war chiefs or krenko and 24 lands?

I just stole the list, but I think it's a meta choice.

Probably 60% of the decks you play are trying to Fatal Push, untap, Graveyard Trespasser (or Fable or Greasefang etc). Snoop, Krenko and Warchief all get eaten up in this game, but Fodder and Outburst make their spot removal just worse enough that you can play a fair game. Like, you Outburst for 3, they hold push for a lord, then you play one of your non-creature lords and they are forced to push a token just to avoid trading their 3/3 into a wall of 2/2s. You still have to beat that Push, but every turn they don't cast it, you're getting wider and they're thinking about the 2-of Meathook in their sideboard (that's probably still too slow).

All of those cards are better in a meta we just aren't facing right now. If the meta was 60% Deafening Clarion and Chainwhirler, but that's not what it is.

e: The land count is because you want to be able to cast 3 spells (or two spells and activate Battle Cry Goblin) the turn after you play Showdown or the turn after they wrath Hoardmaster. You're surprisingly resilient to wraths (your non-creature lords help) but all that bounceback depends on you having 4-6 lands the turn after they sweep you.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 6, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was 0-5 with what looked like a really good GW tokens deck, figured I'd try UG with some flyers and some spells but no removal and went 3-0 easily.

The whole point is to let you play infinite games with your pool and see for yourself what does and doesn't work. I almost wish the event had like, 5 sets of rewards and instead of wins it was "cast 5 white spells, cast 5 blue spells" etc.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this a keep or mull? (I am on the draw and 39% to draw land)

That's a don't-even-think-about-it mulligan.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hope is that I hit something with 61% to draw in the next two turns and curve out?

Maybe it seems obvious to mull but watching streamers repeatedly land pass turn 1 and 2 unpunished and Jim Davis keeping this exact hand configuration while saying "people mulligan too much" made me think it was more on the bubble lol

As I heard someone streaming say once, "You are never going to get a better shot at hand selection in a game than your opening mulligan."

You want your dodgy keeps to be, "this hand can keep me alive and hopefully I draw into something." This hand says, "so long as I topdeck nothing but 2- and 3-drops I might survive long enough to do something."

If the top 2 cards of your deck are lands, you're going to be at 12 life with no board and your hand will look indistinguishable from that screenshot.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 8, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm always a fan of bouncing the grease ball with the trigger on the stack so they need another discard outlet to get it going again. Works well against the Esper and mardu version but the abzan version is able to play a fair game if the reanimation plan doesn't pan out.

I think that's what finally pushed the deck over the top, when it went from an all-in T3 combo deck to being that PLUS a deck that can just beat you to death with Chariot and Informant and whatever else. Its plan B being a pretty OK midrange deck happy to let you waste a bunch of tempo and resources on sideboard hate.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

This is the best news all year

Yeah, this was a big, "do they even give a poo poo enough about Historic to remember to do it" thing, and seeing it get done is very nice.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this the first time cards have been altered for Alchemy but remain as printed in historic? I've not been paying attention to Alchemy like any right-thinking person but it seems to be yet another level of inconsistency there.

It's the first time since Alchemy launched that cards rotated, so it's not inconsistent just the first opportunity they've had to show us how it works.

So the precedent is now, "the first Alchemy release post-rotation, we will revert some (but not all) powerlevel adjustments we made as those alchemized cards are now only legal in Historic and Brawl."

Alrund's Epiphany is still its Alchemy version for Historic/H-Brawl.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 6, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll definitely go ahead and pull up the menu sometimes and just like, as soon as push goes on the stack I'm out. Not even hard feelings just:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5o582N3wOQ

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I kept a kind of slow, under-interactive Mux hand and had my Kinnan opponent go land, Mox, elf. My top card wasn't bolt so I scooped out of that one.

I feel like that was fair and ultimately saved everyone some time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Legit Businessman posted:

In hearthstone (a million years ago, before they rebalanced the ladder grind), we called rank 5 "dad legend" (where the goal was to get to legend rank) as you got the majority of ranked rewards similar to platinum in arena.

"dad mythic"? Parental mythic? I do agree is the rank of the people. The People's Rank.

The Workin' Man's Mythic

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Who the hell is Post Malone

A rap/singer who is actually a pretty OK guitar player. He may have crossed your radar back in the very beginning of covid when he and some dudes (Travis Barker played drums) did basically a webcam Nirvana cover set in his house for charity.

His music's not my thing, but he's not exactly just some manufactured pop bullshit guy.

Magic, however, has sort of cringingly latched onto him like the nerdy kid who accidentally made buddies with the high school QB because they're partners in science class.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

Lolin at post Malone being known as “dude who did a nirvana concert” rather than internationally known pop singer with 4 number 1 songs and 2 number 1 albums and 80 million records sold

I am 40. I know him as the guy who did a Nirvana concert because I was 10 when Nevermind came out. I genuinely don't mean any disrespect to his music or career, I just learned about him how I learned about him.

e: Reporting back from spotify, I know Psycho, that's a pretty good one.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 20, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have Curse of Silence in my Light-Paws deck. It's really good there because Light-Paws is in an aggro deck hell tier, and a lot of those decks REALLY want to cast their commander on curve (Golos, Bridge, Niv). Plus it triggers LP, so getting a little card advancate, and slowing them down a couple of turns on their win button is a pretty big deal.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As a Limited hater who already spends 99% of his gold on packs, I am very excited about more strictly free stuff.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is Bauble still the only Retro Artifact card NOT coming to Historic/Brawl?

https://scryfall.com/sets/brr?as=grid&order=set

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, Scryfall updated the Artifact Archive thing, too.

https://scryfall.com/sets/brr?order=spoiled&as=grid

Springleaf Drum!
Liquidmetal Coating!
Sundering Titan!
Millstone!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Deathsie/status/1591033775609503745?t=LU31yYZXQMojUTzd58T5Sg&s=19

I desperately want belcher to be good.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Maybe this is just me being me, but that's a RG beatdown deck.

Deck
1 Evolving Wilds (BRO) 261
8 Forest (BRO) 276
8 Mountain (BRO) 274
1 Giant Growth (BRO) 183
1 Obliterating Bolt (BRO) 145
1 Hajar, Loyal Bodyguard (BRO) 211
1 Whirling Strike (BRO) 157
1 Roc Hunter (BRO) 150
1 Tomakul Honor Guard (BRO) 195
1 Epic Confrontation (BRO) 176
2 Blanchwood Prowler (BRO) 172
1 Argothian Sprite (BRO) 168
1 Scrapwork Mutt (BRO) 164
2 Excavation Explosion (BRO) 132
1 Burrowing Razormaw (BRO) 173
2 Foundry Inspector (BRR) 16
1 Tower Worker (BRO) 255
1 Visions of Phyrexia (BRO) 156
1 Mishra's Onslaught (BRO) 143
1 Obstinate Baloth (BRO) 187
1 Precursor Golem (BRR) 42
1 Rust Goliath (BRO) 204
1 Sarinth Greatwurm (BRO) 220

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have successfully Liquidmetal Coated someone to Nine Lives and no other permanents and also Charbelched a few people.

Feeling good.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK yes that jund Charbelcher deck sucked, a turn slow every game, and didn't do enough to stay alive or get there. Absolutely.

This one, however, is an absolute Bo1 menace:

Deck
4 Indomitable Creativity
2 Pact of Negation
4 Goblin Charbelcher
4 Faithless Looting
4 Irencrag Feat
4 Sea Gate Restoration
4 Kazuul's Fury
4 Shatterskull Smashing
4 Song-Mad Treachery
4 Spikefield Hazard
4 Valakut Awakening
2 Turntimber Symbiosis
4 Strike It Rich
4 Cathartic Pyre
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
3 Brotherhood's End
1 Seize the Spoils

Your most important keep is Feat. You can dig for Creativity or Belcher easier than finding some other way to count to 7. You can also just hard cast Belcher with Pact in your hand and trigger Belcher with the pay on the stack. Can't Pact Boseiju, obviously, but them's the breaks.

I'm 8-2 in the past hour with it, getting overrun on the draw once against Elves and shocking in a land to play around Mana Tithe and getting double Lightning Helixed for exact lethal with Belcher on the stack. So it goes.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 18, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Can someone see why I can't Pact this negate before I put in a bug report?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ah, yeah, exactly. Whoops.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
1. I guess we're not getting any part of Jumpstart 2022?

2. I absolutely cannot stop Charbelching people. I'm on the Prismari Command/March of Reckless Joy version now and it is just the meanest thing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Any word on Brave the Elements?

I believe this is now the full spoiler, BtE is in there.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-arena/explorer-anthology-2-arrives-december-13#land

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

Has anyone else had issues queue'ing into a game today? Played one game and then several minutes in the queue.

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Help/status/1600571141055475716

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

I just notice this in the explorer anthology announcement:

Does that mean that players won't be able to craft Nyktos until March and have to buy the bundle if they want to use the card?
I don't think the older anthologies worked like that.

I interpret that to mean, "even when they leave the store for purchase you will still be able to craft them." So I assume it will work the exact same way as normal.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if any one of those is my favorite among the old-frame basics, but old-frame basics are objectively the best cosmetics on the client.

Up there with the ugly transparent Llanowar Elves you could only get for like, one week right after launch.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Looking for suggestions for a blue heavy historic brawl deck that isn’t just a pile of control spells

Tetsuko Umezawa
Barrin
Grazilaxx
Sai
Thassa

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Havent played magic in like a week. :feelsgood:

Been playing a lot of chess over the past couple of weeks. It's a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1656115033338974210?t=2QEr1KBYrAkdn2taXbWqfg&s=19