Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

Huxley posted:

The shards (introduced in Shards of Alara block, representing a color and the two colors it’s touching on the color wheel):

Red + green + black = Jund
White + green + blue = Bant
Black + red + blue = Grixis
Green + white + red = Naya
Blue + white + black = Esper

So everybody is just trying to forget about Riveteers, Brokers, Maestros, Cabaretti, and Obscura? Were the Streets of New Capenna really so traumatic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Somberbrero posted:

did my first cube draft and i have a really fun orz sac deck that's putting in work. however i ran into an error where it seemed like the triggers on celebrant and Elas il-Kor were firing the opposite of how they should have been? you can see in the link on turn 13 at the very end, they both fire off in response to my opponent saccing a creature to Braids but not in response to any of my creatures dying. am i missing something dumb? https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/70af6b2b34be49bdb07427195f6c1265/35508012/1671957861/341

Opponent has flipped kumano saga in play so death triggers don't happen for your stuff all the time.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

wei posted:

I'll be running that RB Anvil deck with adjustments for bo1. I played Anvil in the last Alchemy Arena Open and it felt pretty good.

What kinds of preboarding are you doing for bo1?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

wei posted:

something like this to start with https://mtgazone.com/user-decks/efi5ibv7o7zw0ndny2w/, then adjust depending on how my run goes.

Ah interesting thanks. I wonder how much revels will be out there. Seems like invoke can be big against that. I don't really play enough alchemy normally to have a sense of it though. I'm super curious how your run(s) go though and we'll see if I take a shot myself.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Maybe they thought you had Stifle too? Prob just rage scoop though.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

snyprmag posted:

Do I want to be main-decking good lessons like fractal or elemental summoning, or trying to always get them with learn spells?

You usually want to get a mix of learn and lesson so you don't end up maindecking lessons. While the rare lessons can be very niche the summoning and intros are mostly just good to be able to grab. I took lesson and learn pretty highly in STX, not sure how much the bots enable or suppress that.

Edit: lol don't try this at home, goin off the deep end channeling my inner Sam Black https://www.17lands.com/deck/de784d462a77402aa645b9205517147b/2

waloo fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 15, 2023

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Rinkles posted:

There’s still place for innovation. Like that single tournament Dragons deck. It maybe wasn’t quite the Rakdos killer the team was hoping for, but it was very competitive.

And now is arguably the best time to be brewing for Standard because we don’t have a PT-defined meta yet. There’s a lot of stuff you can try. I’ve seen decent Rocco decks, as an example. That said, deck building is hard, and plenty of decks just aren’t gonna come together.

Didn't that new Archfiend Alteration deck kind of come out of nowhere at the big pioneer tourney in Dallas a week ago? Looked like it could translate to explorer or historic probably well enough too if you can live without dig through time.

People still coming up with cool stuff out there.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

all you momir complainers: have you considered that it's a skill issue?

I like momir and played a bunch this time around and went like 22-4 so I suspect there is something to this theory.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

"Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Customer Service and reporting the pack from the Daily Deal did not provide Gold Pack progress. This has been reported to the developers and the progress will be granted to accounts this week."

I got a thing in my inbox saying that it was awarded. I don't actually pay enough attention to know if it was actually applied but assume it's all good now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Haven't had a bigtime Limited podcast/streamer dump in a while. A lot of written content these days is either behind paywalls or on Discords, so I'm gonna limit this to podcasts/streams/vids/twitter.

Some other lesser pods in case you have a burning desire for more, not in any order except the order of my subconscious recall.

Mystical Dispute
https://mysticaldispute.com
Two streamers, GGards and Twoduckcubed, both perennially better performers than I in 17L leaderboards.
Usually framed as a short debate about one card vs another in the current format but veers somewhat into other things too.

Limited Edition
https://limitededitionpodcast.libsyn.com
Two other streamers, metal_mario and InfiniteBreakfast, not sure what niche they fill but a lot of overlap in topics with other podcasts in this space.

Draft Chaff
https://www.mtgcast.com/podcasts/draft-chaff
I haven't been listening to this one much lately. Much less emphasis on being the very best but still fun sometimes. If you care about lore they have one episode per set on that usually.

Magic Numbers
Available as a podcast but tends to be better on YouTube because he's presenting a slide deck.
https://youtube.com/@Sierkovitz
Data wonk Sierkovitz doing seminars on interesting bits from 17L data.

Draft Lab
https://thedraftlabpodcast.buzzsprout.com
I feel like these guys have gotten slower and maybe aren't putting out new episodes as much anymore? Was a bunch of streamers and limited grinders with all good results talking about the usual topics.

I think all of these probably have affiliated discords you can hang out in too if you are so inclined.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

bad_fmr posted:

Well since I have nerver drafted and have Been platina Arena for less than a month I suspect my conversion ratio with drafting would be 5000 gold to 50 gems.

Stream it on discord and get people to copilot the draft? I've not done it myself in a while but it's a solid way to get a big boost in winrate if you're starting out in draft.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Ultimatefire posted:

What's the website goons recommend for building+sharing limited decks? Thanks in advance!

sealeddeck.tech probably? That's the one I use a lot.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

I would wager a guess that they opened Hylda, forced the archetype, and it paid off because they know what cards are actually good (hell, the Guards were excellent too to buy time, and the Cauldron could give any creature the tap ability, which was clutch)
I speculate if they were doing well with it, it might be just as likely if not more so that they started off with some good white cards, gambled on some blues in spots, then got passed hylda/sharae and snagged them that way.

I say this mostly because over the weekend that felt kind of like what happened to me in this draft which worked out ok in spite of being UW: https://www.17lands.com/draft/5e00e0ac36df48b19d880a127d31937b

I feel like i kept passing decent UW stuff and still kind of fell backwards into it.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

odinson posted:

https://mtgazone.com/historic-no-banned-list-event-guide-and-decklists/

The grixis "death shadow" one i'm vibing with. No actual death's shadow in it. Lurrus deck with DRC, ragavan, snap, counters, burn, discard, bow masters. Sauron's Ransom is sweet. Play pattern of Memory Lapse your thing to the top of your deck and then exiling it with Ragavan hit is hella satisfying.

Apparently this event is going till the 14th. Looking forward to trying that FotD deck. Anyone got a necropotence list?

People seem to scoop a lot to memory lapse. Had it happen a few times with this one as well as the UW control list from there.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I don't and won't for a few days, but from memory I think it's something like

4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Spectral Sailor
4 Rattlechains
4 Supreme Phantoms
3 Selfless Spirits
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Spell Queller

3 Lofty Denial
4 Reprieve
3 Slip Out Back (phase out is important, as it doesn't give them the spell back if you use this on Spell Queller)

23 lands, preferably with as many U/W lands that come in untapped on turn 1-2 that you can manage. Games can end for you if you don't cast Reprieve like it's a Time Walk on turn 3. Rattlechains and Spell Queller are where I dumped wildcards at first as they're absolutely vital. Supreme Phantom and Drogskol really help put it over the edge tho as they both boost your early weenies to do just enough to end the game before you run out of counters.

https://mtgdecks.net/Historic/spirits

That all said, deck archetype ranks pretty highly in Historic. You can probably find a improved build from what I'm running in the lists here. Just check out 5-10 lists and pull what looks most fun to ya. Might be some budget options between the decklists.

Ohhh I have played spirits some in explorer but Reprieve as an addition in historic is intriguing.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

I've always been at work when the bug is in effect, but isn't the deal that it just gets stuck at play 24/25 red cards/whatever ?

So you don't have to play all 25 red cards, just play a single goblin and pass turn, allow opponent to do the same out of courtesy, then leave game collect golds and requeue with a 24/25 quest?

So the real question is: are they any instants you can play with no mana so you can just do them on opponent's turn and save half a step? Pact of Negation is blue, but is there anything else in the other colours?

Do leylines count towards quests? Also does once upon a time in no bans queue work or will the event be over by then?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

SpiritOfLenin posted:

edit: is it just me, or is at least plainscycling on Soaring Sandwings broken? I couldn't use them to cycle last match

Not just you: https://feedback.wizards.com/forums/918667-mtg-arena-bugs-product-suggestions/suggestions/47533646-soaring-sandwing-plainscycling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

Time posted:

Deck
2 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243
4 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
2 Depopulate (SNC) 10
4 The Mightstone and Weakstone (BRO) 238
4 Thran Spider (BRO) 254
4 Demolition Field (BRO) 260
1 Mirrex (ONE) 254
1 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
1 The Irencrag (WOE) 248
6 Plains (UND) 88
2 Island (XLN) 264
1 Restless Anchorage (LCI) 280
4 Fabrication Foundry (LCI) 12
4 Market Gnome (LCI) 22
4 Spring-Loaded Sawblades (LCI) 36
2 Thousand Moons Smithy (LCI) 39
4 Unstable Glyphbridge (LCI) 41
4 Braided Net (LCI) 47
1 Chimil, the Inner Sun (LCI) 249
3 Restless Anchorage (LCI) 280

Sideboard
2 Knockout Blow (SNC) 20
2 Urza, Lord Protector (BRO) 225
3 Negate (RIX) 44
3 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
3 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
2 Akal Pakal, First Among Equals (LCI) 44

I stole this deck from an mtgo grinder I respect and ate poo poo with it for like 10 games because I had to read every card like 6 times and timed out on best of 3 matches. After I got my legs under me I won most of my games and popped into mythic at rank~400.

This is one of the hardest decks I have played in the last few years. The optionality every turn is huge and the margin for error is small. Once it gets rolling though it’s a steamroller. Very able to overpower control deck with sheer advantage and lots of tools to stonewall aggro. It’s very good against everything except the tempo style decks that apply pressure and hold up pivotal countermagic on like turn 4. I’ll take those losses because it’s so easy to body the rest of the format. Games take forever though but I was happy because I got to take lots of game actions. Deck is really good but be warned you will have to spend time learning it because it’s loving unique with almost no transferable play patterns

I think I have all of these so might try it for a bit, thanks!

Only sort of related: why are there two separate lines for Restless Anchorage in the list? That seems odd.