Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

With boogeymen like Goldspan and Luminarch Aspirant going away, I am excited for standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

where my raka and dega boomers at? Volvers of the world, unite!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

as we are about 10m from launch, be aware poo poo's gonna crash constantly, so enter as many drafts as you can so you get the cards from the draft then the gems from the reimbursement

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

40 lbs to freedom posted:

constructed wise doesnt seem like a very control friendly set or did i miss anything obvious? blue seems kind of bad in general and creatures are really strong. no real u/w finisher either.

control is always weakest just after rotation before they get all their toys.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ok but the Crying Real Housewives sticker is amazing. Ajani as Smudge is kinda meh, though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Simone Poodoin posted:

Have they added the feature to chose a land type as default?
mtga devs:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy crap that Jeskai sweeper looks busted

It's not. Burn Down the House is straight-up better, there's almost no use case for a 7-mana sweeper that only deals 5 damage even if it keeps your planeswalker around, especially when Farewell exists, does the same job better, and costs 1 less.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Horace Kinch posted:

An opponent pre-GG'd me after playing the guy who can turn enchantments into creatures. They animated their Temporary Lockdown like a complete dingus right into an Infernal Grasp. I got 6 creatures back on the board instantly and blocked the rest of his stuff down, they scooped immediately. Pride always comes before the fall.
Zur gives the animated creatures hexproof though? How did this occur?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kalel posted:

I will happily snap up all the actual good cards in draft while defender tribal is overhyped for these next few days, hahaha

Samesies. I think I saw 2 total defender creatures after pick 1 in my last draft, but got a 4th pick Lightning Strike :wtc:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So it is very enjoyable watching everyone who talked about it in preview season eat absolute poo poo as Sheoldred appears to actually be the nut.
Gums up the ground, dodges most removal, makes profitable attacks unprofitable due to deathtouch, stabilizes life against aggro, makes on-time Fable of the Mirror-Breakers and Raffine attacks absolutely miserable and generally just concludes the game pretty effectively.
What are this card's weaknesses? It can't just be "lol dies to Doom Blade" because other than Infernal Grasp, most of the Doom Blades in this format are conditional in a way that she dodges. She's even ahead of The Meathook Massacre for at least a few turns.

I am very not-high on Cut Down, too. It just hits so very, very little after turn 2 that I'd rather just have a disfigure effect that at least functions as a combat trick later in the game rather than be literally dead.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Murmur Twin posted:

Lol meanwhile I’m trying to make micromancer + vesuvan diplomacy good in standard, I feel like there has to be a combo deck in there somewhere and I wanna find it
:eng101: *duplimancy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to duals in standard so I guess my question is "if a deck would need Thran Portals are they worth crafting up to 3 of them or is the deck not worth building"
There is literally no situation I would run a Thran Portal over a normal painland. Even if it's one of the 4 combos there's no painland for yet, if you're running aggro you certainly aren't running the sort of greedy 4c piles that would necessitate a Thran Portal, so just run a basic there.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

when does the secret get out on Necromass so my opponents don't always have 3+ of them in draft?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

also if you're sick of mono b, you can do your part as the fun police by playing Alis sick Mardu pile that literally farms MonoB (and scoops to the field)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

Am I a scrub or is Salvaged Manaworker an awesome include in this format? There aren't that many great two drops, its colorless, the 3 toughness is relevant and the mana fixing is great. I've found having one in my decks is super nice, almost always.

It is very bad OP

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oh God Sonios new Izzet brew is

a) adorable

and

2) pretty much proof that Fable kinda has to go

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

the reason mono black feels strong right now is that black is the color with absolutely no answers to artifacts, and the next set is gonna be all artifacts.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kalel posted:

one of my opponents at prerelease had two as well. although he was a noob so the first time he played it he tried to "store" the second trigger for later use lol. He was a really nice guy

pay attention Wizards! .... Brother's War gonna have Sagas that have "Read it backwards" on them that tick up instead of down!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

little munchkin posted:

Founding The Third Path is unplayable trash. You rarely have a 1-2 mana spell in your hand for chapter 1 (and if you did you could just be casting it instead of the path), and all chapter three does is let you cast a spell but with the additional setup cost of deploying the saga. None of the chapters give you a card or mana advantage. Do not play it and do not pick it so you don't bait yourself into playing it.
it's a 1U Recoup, so if you have a devastatingly powerful sorcery it's ok. Still tough to wring value out of but in the right setup not the worst

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

that is literally how IRL tournaments have run forever, even before magic existed

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

no in all tournaments for every game ever played, you are always matched against like records after each round.

do you think Federer should get to play someone who lost in the first round in round 2?

The Super Bowl is not played between the team that went 3-0 in rhe playoffs vs the team that went 0-3 (ignore that it is single elim)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 26, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

precision posted:

black having tons of removal is kinda Black's whole deal, so it doesn't bother me.

what tilts me like nobody's business is people who play discard. "you don't get to play with your toys" is a style of deck that, i am entirely certain, is only enjoyed by a certain sort of very unpleasant person

Prison Decks: We're not happy until you're not happy!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

elbkaida posted:

Always a good idea to critique picks a streamer makes in your mind when watching as exercise. They all have their own biases and nobody's perfect.
Jim Davis (and lots of others) said Sheoldred was a crap mythic story/commander bait card

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The worst feeling (according to Ken NagleMagic Dev Team) is being out of gas, of being in topdeck mode, and so Alchemy cards are designed to generate so much cardboard that you can never run out of resources. This sucks for exactly the reason you described; control decks can never pull ahead because it's impossible to counter/control threats when every threat is 2+ cards, and aggro can't put people away because they'll never run out of efficient resources to rebuild.

Alchemy design philosophies are hosed, not Alchemy as an idea or tool.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kalel posted:

I'm not sure what you could even ban from rakdos because it's just a pile of the best cards in those colors.
you ban Mayhem Devil because it's existence precludes allowing other creature decks to exist. it's removal, reach and an efficient body on 1 card.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eej posted:

People overrated Sheoldred because people in general over value grindy cards because they grew up playing the Rock or something
Senator Sheoldred, I knew Phyrexian Plaguelord, and you ma'am are no Phyrexian Plaguelord

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

For digital-only mtg players, I would like to share with you some lols from the paper side of things

it is very lol because the loving Laces are in rare slots same as power

imagine spending $250 to open a Lifelace

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

if you haven't seen it there's a very very cool Borthers War variant of Rampaging Ferocidon or whatever (3/3 menace for 2R) with a hilarious teeth-kicking rider on it for decks with greedy manabases

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Never heard a Post Malone song but I'm gonna prejudge him because white guy with face tattoos.
Post Malone is infuriating because he looks very stupid but his music is very good.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

Blue: Counterspell (UU cost can be steep for 3+ color decks)
Wash Away is literally more important and also better in Historic Brawl than Counterspell

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Isn't there a card now that's Oracle text is now just "surveil 4"

:eng101: Surveil 5

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You still controlled it, but it was equipped to a creature and equipment doesn't 'fall off' if its controller changes.

Were you not able to click on it and equip it to one of your creatures? that's the only thing that would be a bug.

Note that next turn, your opponent would be able to just re-equip to their creature.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Extinction Event but much more situational ofc.

EE should've been white and so should've Embercleave but yall aint ready for that conversation

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I cannot stress enough how much you do not need to acquire draft chaff like 'this sets Wind Drake' from 4 core sets ago... there's no way to cash out so you are straight up paying cash dollars on an entertainment product so only spend what you would normally on stuff that appeals to you.

the one thing I will encourage you to buy is the starter pack because for $20 it's a great value to get going

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's Raka not Jeskai and I won't hear otherwise! :doom:

also where's the nurse with my pudding and afternoon pills?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

They finally let you select favorite basic lands (and other cards) but I can't select the Opt I want as a default (it's the only Opt I have a cosmetic for); do I need to somehow view the non-cosmetic version then fave it, then use apply styles when deckbuilding? That seems unnecessarily complicated (har har new thread title)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

They finally let you select favorite basic lands (and other cards) but I can't select the Opt I want as a default (it's the only Opt I have a cosmetic for); do I need to somehow view the non-cosmetic version then fave it, then use apply styles when deckbuilding? That seems unnecessarily complicated (har har new thread title)
ok so I figured it out.

you have to go in to "card styles," and select the base (non-alt-art) version of the card, then you can favorite that version, then when making a deck it will pick that version and you just "apply styles" at the end. Obfuscated, but at least it works.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There are several letters in the Patch Notes that are erroneously capitalized in the middle of words. In order, they are "FOLSARLOP" but I don't know what that means. Scrabble tile solver spits out apollos, florals and pallors - of which, pallors is the most likely to mean something.

e:nm it's an anagram of APR FOOLS which is an old promo code

Or their copyeditor is poo poo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

is there one? it doesn't have counters, does it? just "deal 3 damage"? I don't think deathtouch does anything either since it isn't a creature.

e: just read the oracle wording, it is defense counters so nm

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 29, 2023