Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm very excited for Dominaria United!

I always love rotation time and Explorer has been really fun. I made it to Mythic this month with like 15 minutes left in the season for the first time ever and I was really happy!

Huxley posted:

There's a certain type of person ... and I AM that person ... that those stat trackers are like poison in your brain. Just watching the number go up and down makes enjoying playing impossible. It gives every game stakes, even if it's just stakes in the number.

I had to step back and play a little less in the last 6 months because of how unhappy it made me. I decided towards the end of July that I wanted to get into Explorer, and I played a lot this month and have had fun, but haven't let it totally consume me either!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I loving love rotation day

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
What is that Discord where people will help you draft?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Simply Simon posted:

It should be linked in the op

I'm sorry. I don't know why I didn't think to check that

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Judgy Fucker posted:

Has anyone played much with Thran Portal in standard?

CGB was very high on it during the streamer preview, but during actual set release he had echoed your points exactly

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
During the streamer prerelease CGB said "Watch the auto tapper with pain lands, it will kill you." and sure as loving poo poo I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the loving auto tapper

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I know I don't ever offer help (thats because I'm terrible at Limited BUT I TRY!)

I have this sealed pool that I think might be the hottest piece of poo poo ever, I'm having trouble even trying to figure out what direction to go. Could anyone please offer me advice?

1 Clockwork Drawbridge
1 Knight of Dawn's Light
1 Samite Herbalist
3 Argivian Cavalier
2 Charismatic Vanguard
2 Citizen's Arrest
1 Love Song of Night and Day
1 Mesa Cavalier
1 Stall for Time
1 Shore Up
2 Timely Interference
3 Battlewing Mystic
1 Impede Momentum
1 Impulse
1 Negate
1 Protect the Negotiators
1 Academy Wall
1 Tolarian Geyser
1 Voda Sea Scavenger
1 The Phasing of Zhalfir
2 Bone Splinters
1 Knight of Dusk's Shadow
1 Toxic Abomination
1 Eerie Soultender
1 Phyrexian Rager
1 Shadow Prophecy
1 Extinguish the Light
1 Monstrous War-Leech
1 Phyrexian Warhorse
1 Tattered Apparition
2 Writhing Necromass
1 Hammerhand
1 Fires of Victory
1 Yavimaya Steelcrusher
1 Flowstone Kavu
1 Keldon Strike Team
1 Coalition Warbrute
1 Hurler Cyclops
1 Jaya's Firenado
1 Meria's Outrider
2 Molten Monstrosity
1 Llanowar Stalker
1 Floriferous Vinewall
1 Snarespinner
1 Vineshaper Prodigy
2 Bog Badger
1 Barkweave Crusher
1 Magnigoth Sentry
1 Defiler of Vigor
1 Linebreaker Baloth
1 Mossbeard Ancient
1 Yavimaya Sojourner
1 Radha, Coalition Warlord
1 Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim
1 Uurg, Spawn of Turg
1 Bortuk Bonerattle
2 Astor, Bearer of Blades
1 Inscribed Tablet
1 Vanquisher's Axe
1 Walking Bulwark
1 Salvaged Manaworker
1 Golden Argosy
1 Shield-Wall Sentinel
1 Timeless Lotus
1 Idyllic Beachfront
2 Contaminated Aquifer
1 Wooded Ridgeline
1 Radiant Grove
1 Haunted Mire
1 Sacred Peaks
1 Crystal Grotto

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I genuinely appreciate all the help from this thread. I will report back after I'm done!

EDIT

Went 1-3 :(

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 8, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I really like how they did color identity for this set. It's very mix and match which is nice (although Black in general seems absurdly good)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

A Moose posted:

I punted game 1 by accidentally choosing 2 creatures for Threats Undetected, then shame conceded. There probably should be an "are you sure" for us less smart people. Didn't end up mattering though.

Hello friend you are me

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I feel like every Historic Brawl deck has become "How can Paradox Engine fit into this deck" I really hate that card

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm not going to miss Meathook either but I feel that's a weird ban.

EDIT: I wish they had banned Paradox Engine in Historic Brawl

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 10, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

When standard sucks play brawl.

Can't emphasize this enough. Historic Brawl and Explorer are so fun right now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm so excited for Brothers War to come out tomorrow!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I went 6-3 with a pretty terrible Soldiers deck. Fun little combo is Urza Prince of Kroog and Surge Engine. Soldiers will really get you there even if you have to force it a bit.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Covert Go Blue is a little over halfway through a 100 hour charity stream. If you are looking for fun Historic Brawl content he's been playing Historic Brawl for like 2 straight days with a plethora of commanders.

https://twitch.tv/covertgoblue

Edit:
Arjuna (the other host of Arena Craft podcast) showed up randomly in chat. CGB was getting ready to do tier rankings of "most annoying decks in Arena history". CGB asked Arjuna if he wanted to join him, and then out of nowhere we got a 3 hour Arena Craft Podcast. Stream has been awesome!!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 25, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Historic Brawl is my favorite format by a country mile

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Shooting Blanks posted:

Watched the CGB video on that Old Stickfingers HBrawl combo deck recently, and holy poo poo that looks hard to pilot.

I watched CGB cast that Historic Brawl tournament the week before and I was really looking forward to seeing how that deck worked, then I saw it and was like "Hmmmm no thank you."

I have been working on a Xanathar, Guild Kingpin Historic Brawl deck since pretty much Forgotten Realms came out. I was wondering if I could get any feed back on it:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/orfmE3Ko_EapGJW5o88i6A

My idea is to play controlly early on and get a nice base of mana so that I can play the most cards from my opponents deck that I can. If there is a land on top I will play that for myself, then play as many spells as I can before I hit the next land, I keep letting the draw land, flood out, and win. Initially I had a more creature oriented version of this deck (and honestly I might put Thief of Sanity back in just so I can exile cards off the top so if I don't like what I see with Xanathar I can get rid of it)

Anyways, I don't typically brew my own decks and I'm pretty proud of this one, but would like any feedback possible

EDIT:

I just had a shame scoop :( I thought I had Inquisition of Kozilak, I played it on Turn 1, it turned out to be a Dark Ritual and I had nothing to spend the mana on. I'm never recovering from that.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 17, 2023

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Those are such great suggestions, thank you

Shooting Blanks posted:

- Your artifacts are mostly ramp, as expected, but this isn't really an artifact deck like Oswald Fiddlebender or Emry. How effective is Gilded Lotus for you? Same question for Mightstone/Weakstone, I haven't run that much other than trying to meld.
- Is Paradox Engine your build-around? You don't have the tutors I would expect to see for that to be your core wincon (Grim Tutor, Gix's Caress, Wishclaw Talisman) - how often do you rely on that to win? Or is it a win more card?
- As a PW in general it's too expensive, but Ashiok Nightmare Muse fits into your "steal stuff" strategy. Worth a thought.

Gilded lotus seems to be effective when I get it, and I just added Mightstone / Weakstone so I haven't really tested it out. Reading your post made me realize that Mighstone is pretty bad since the mana can only be spent on Artifacts or abilities. Thank you for pointing that out.

Paradox Engine is something that I just recently put in an as well. I was thinking with all the mana rocks, that I can keep casting opponents spells. I don't know that I've had it go off playing with Xanathar before, but I have with Rusko so that could be affecting how I think about the deck.

I had her in another build and I agree with you. If I hit a 2nd land being able to attack with her little 2/3 that exiles was really nice. I also had Thief of Sanity that does a similar theme in another build as well.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Node posted:

For this midweek magic quick draft event, if you draft like poo poo (which I will), can you draft again for a new deck, or are you stuck with the first one you make?

You are stuck

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress, they broke apart the draft token/mastery pass bundle. Guess I'm not spending any money on that poo poo anymore!

It's such bullshit

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
As someone that didn't play during the New Phyrexia block and hated poison counters in Kadlheim, how much will I hate this new expansion when I'm getting poisoned by big gently caress off creatures?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Horace Kinch posted:

Probably because of Fynn, the Fangbearer most likely. He gives deathtouchers the ability to add poison counters when they deal player damage.

For some reason in my head I thought there were more poison counters in Kaldheim than just Fynn

Lone Goat posted:

You likely don't just instantly lose from two poison counters to a dipshit 2/1 with an X pump spell on it, since Toxic is a fixed number of poison regardless of how much regular (life) damage you'd take.

But you might instantly lose to a creature that does a high amount of toxic (we've seen toxic 6 already, though that's on a seven drop) if there's a trample combat trick, so let's say you'll hate it it 8/10.

That is a good point that this is very distinct from Infect. I feel better but I just really hate poison counters and I'm concerned about how much I'm seeing them in All Will Be One

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Had a very fun H Brawl game just now. I was playing against Elenda, the Dusk Rose (token deck). I totally forgot that I had cast Approach of the Second Sun earlier in the game. I top decked The Mazemind Tome and then realized "Oh poo poo if I draw a card here this game is OVER", drew a card and won. What a loving game holy poo poo.

EDIT:

Just had another really fun game against Kethis.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2023

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I had a very funny Brawl game. I was playing Xanathar, my opponent was playing the Samurai that gives an extra attack round when a creature attacks but itself (Raiyuu, Storms Edge 3/3 first strike)

I was horrifically mana screwed. We were on maybe turn 6 and I only had 3 lands in play with an Ornithopter of Paradise. I played Sheoldred to slow down his attacks a bit. I had Negate and Pact of Negation and I figured, what the hell, I'm going to use Pact this turn and point because I'm not winning.

The opponent attacked and I blocked. He played Abrade, I negated the Abrade. He then played Wandering Emperor, I used Pact of the Emperor. I was totally prepared to lose as I only had 4 mana. My opponent scooped.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

fridge corn posted:

What's the new set looking like? Havent played in over a month, might feel refreshed enough for a return

I think standard is going to get shaken up a bit. There are some really powerful constructed decks coming down the pipe (specifically Simic poison with Rotpriest)

Edit:

Esper Superfriends / proliferate

Esper Legends is getting a powerful 1 drop with Skrelve

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Saucer Crab posted:

I don't know how possible it will be once more reps are into the format, but I saw a couple people pop off during the streamer preview just getting a couple of poison counters on with early creatures and then proliferating the last 7-9 counters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AHzJ0zGf8

Jump to 25:30 to watch Simic poison go off.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rotpriest is fine (my opp had 0 poison counters at the start of this turn)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVKiHt8CjqE

Jund Battles looks really fun

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
That is amazing

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I enjoyed the gold bug earlier today and am enjoying Gruul Battles

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 18, 2023

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Boy I'm sure glad white got extra ways to exile this set because all they needed was more spot removal holy gently caress.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

Sounds like you just need to get good :smug:

I just played a game where my opponent played:
3 Ossifications
2 Brutal Cathars
1 Lay down Arms
2 Touch the Spirit Realm
2 Whatever the new enchant is with ward 2

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

house of the dad posted:

This is your fault for not foreseeing this and playing Farewell

Lol

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ariong posted:

I've opened five MoM packs and gotten three MoM rares, an Ikoria rare, and an M20 mythic. Not a fan of that.

The Ikoria and M20 rares are IN ADDITION to MOM rares

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah when battles flip it brings up the card in the middle of your screen and they make you click it to cast it.

Also note that one card that says you can only cast one non-Phyrexian spell a turn will hose it if you cast a spell already!

You can also counter the battle with a counter spell

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lone Goat posted:

Battles make games last longer than normal since everyone starts at like 27 life but if you can't defend a battle you're going to get snowballed hard, the flip creatures are good at defending early and turning into something relevant later. There's lots of uses for extra mana so don't skimp on land.

I played in the paper prerelease and I had 3 battles (Azgol, Tarkir and Mercadia) and I don't think my opponent realized how good they backsides were because I flipped all 3 one game and won handily

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

And if you run Render Inert, you have to click once per counter. I almost punted away a game because of that

I only ran it because I had 3 Battles, and it was fine. One time I cast Invasion of Dom and Render Inert in the same turn, so 4 life, two cards drawn, and I get a Serra Angel for "free". Not exactly the dream compared to the bombs lol, but it was fine

I did that at my prerelease tourney. Played Tarkir and then render. It was great.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I drafted a Gruul deck that went 4-3 and now I'm doing an Orzhov Sealed deck that is 2-2. I'm not much into limited (typically) but after playing in person I'm really digging this set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Xanathar, Good Kingpin