Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
My experience: 40s are fine, 50s are miserable because ever greater numbers of people you care about die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

It's been hard enough to get tonic water for months already, this is a catastrophe

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

I wasn’t living in the U.K. back then, but is this what it felt like during Major’s premiership after Black Wednesday - abundantly clear that the Tories were a shambles and would not win the next election, yet the country was still stuck with them as a zombie government for multiple years?

Not really. Major had only squeaked in in '92 and was constantly vulnerable to back bench revolts, so there was always a sense that Labour could get in soon. And even people who detested Blair didn't expect Labour to be so poo poo when they got in. Things feel much more hopeless now.

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 4, 2022

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Glad folk are coming around on this. The middle class is just the poor that won't admit it, the anglo-world middle class as we know it is an aberration arising from postwar social democracy, and [adamcurtis] they [/adamcurtis] are taking it back, one house at a time.

I don't see how that makes the system non-capitalist. The change from feudalism to capitalism was about coming to see power as rightly vested in owners, as opposed to people with special blood or divine blessings or whatever. The fact that ownership tends to concentrate over time (like other sorts of power) doesn't stop it being capitalist.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

More that feudalism had serfdom, etc. and that capitalism was supposed to be competition driving innovation, when really the moneyed class fix prices and make you buy turds they assure you is chocolate.

I think that's just swallowing capitalist rhetoric. We don't have serfdom because we're not allowed the land, let alone tied to it. We have standard capitalist 'work for us or starve' bondage.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

And yet he is orders of magnitude better than second-term Trump would have been.

He hasn't prevented a 2nd term Trump.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Gee, it's almost as though all stampeding out of the party in a snit at losing one leadership election might make it harder to support good candidates in future

It's not one leadership election, it's all leadership elections in the foreseeable future, since they've rigged the candidate selection for that as well.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Any other old codgers in here have opinions? It sounds like a) I want varifocals but b) they cost twice as much as bifocals, that all there is to it?

I get varifocals and use the constant 2-for-not-much-more-than-one offers to get a pair of reading glasses as well. Varifocals are great because they're so versatile, but if you spend a lot of your day doing closer work then you really need a whole pair of glasses for that.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm grandma age and I can't think of a single one of my similarly aged friends who knits let alone younger ones!
Even my 85 year old mother doesn't knit.

I am very slightly younger and have knitted socks, but stopped because it is absolutely not worth it. Maybe it would be different if I could wear wool, but with cotton/bamboo/etc yarn, you can buy much cheaper, warmer, and more durable socks.

The only things I knit now are cotton dishcloths. They are extremely good dishcloths, but I only do it to have something to do with my hands while watching videos.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You can wear multiple layers of socks.

Think we all know that, but if you mean I should knit woollen oversocks, unfortunately wool irritates my hands just as much as the rest of me.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Invented baby eating adrenal satanists a) give them a way to channel all those ambient, diffuse Bad Feelings that are caused by *gestures widely* into something concrete that b) they can feel like powerful heroes and smart and superior people about, because they're Spreading The Truth and Aren't Sheeple

Basically the original appeal of any sect, just without any inconvenient moral injunctions

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, only the silent generation and disabled people get to vote. 400 seat majority for the Hang PIP Assessors party.

Silents would vote against that, but I suppose they are mostly dead now

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Not a youngster but yes ;p mind you nobody alive other than maybe my 96 year old gran is going to have seen one in person, presumably you included :shobon:

I've definitely seen one a few times, it would be late 60s/early 70s. Don't know what it was doing, but my parents seemed to think it was quite normal.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I wonder what this thread feels about my ambitions to become a landowner someday. I want to own hectares upon hecaters of forest.

The bad things about owning land are: keeping other people out, preventing them from having any say over what's done with it, and using the land in an environmentally destructive way. Owners don't actually have to do any of those things, so it's up to you how bad you want to be.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Like I have no idea where my family is from, I was born less than five miles away, that's it. Having detailed records like the pedigree on a german shepherd is loving weird to me and a vice of the upper classes.

There are plentiful records for practically every family going back to the 1841 census. It's before that most families disappear, or at least can't be distinguished from each other in baptismal records because every third man was a William.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I still think the obsession that upper crust types, and americans, have with it is frankly perverse.

I think the bit that sucks is when people think their ancestry says or explains something about themselves (eg "I claim to have some characteristic, it is the Irish/Italian/Plantagenet in me"), instead of being cool anecdotes.