Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Jamarcus was also hosed up on lean all the time and had no support system at all once he got to the NFL. Maybe it comes out that Zack has a massive cocaine problem but a) he’s still had basically every advantage imaginable and b) cocaine makes players better, cf Michael Irvin, Lawrence Taylor

His cocaine problem is that he doesn't do enough of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

t a s t e posted:

“Secondary” (assist) Sidney Crysby is Uncle Gary’s (Bettman) favorite

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

You got me, I personally was not stupid enough to get into crypto but my dad did despite my best efforts to explain it to him that it was a scam. He said he understood that, but also believed he could get in, make his money, and get out before it all collapsed.

poo poo like this is why I hate it when people claim that only idiots fell for crypto. Pretty much all of American society is engineered to snare people in some scam or another, and that's been especially true since Covid hit and the economy tanked - lots of regular people get caught up in this kind of poo poo. I hope your dad didn't get too burned and that he's doing ok.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Cavauro posted:

10 yards is all you need on a play.

A common misconception - you only need 2.5 yards

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Cavauro posted:

ok, who wins a game? the team with the most first downs. not the most plays.

There's a statistical correlation between teams that hold the ball for 40 minutes or more and teams who win. Therefore, every play that gains more than 2.5 yards is an act of hubris, willingly handing the enemy precious seconds that could have been yours.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Belichick treading into desperate "fail coach" territory.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1658171108657381377

I hope they get the number one pick next year so Caleb Williams can refuse to play for them

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I was thinking way back to the Rams when Trent Green went down. Then Kurt Warner happened.

Clearly the answer is to have Zach Wilson bagging groceries

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Ehud posted:

Robert Saleh believes it is the year 1975

With Zach Wilson's numbers, it might as well be

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Even without considering GD, they're still losers. Do they even talk about football???

Excuse me, sir, but gently caress the Cowboys

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Do we really think he's going to get more than Burrow/Herbert/Tua?

At the very least, he's going to be paid on their level. That's just what a better-than-Kirk-Cousins QB commands now.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Toaster Beef posted:

excuse me the eagles were flagged twice, it's just they got offset each time because those dastardly dolphins were committing penalties every single play :colbert:

The Eagles wore throwbacks to trick the refs into calling the game like it was 1988, and people would rather whine than congratulate them on their superior strategy. Pathetic.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

He actually loses all the games and blames Pfizer

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

Jokes on the Jets, Giants don’t throw the ball anyways!

If you think about it a fumble is kind of a throw

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The Jets have to see Wilson play and know it's not nearly good enough but they are also terrified of hurting his confidence at all so they are going fool themselves into thinking this kind of play is sustainable and that they can hide him for the rest of the season even though they can't and it's going to fall apart the same way it did last year.

Alternately, we're going to get the supreme comedy of the defense dragging Wilson through a deep playoff run as they keep winning in dumber and dumber ways

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Yeah, the D has had the expected learning curve and is rounding into form

McDaniel got the first half wrong. Annoying, but it happens, and it doesn't happen often

And even with that, the difference in the final score was literally a fumble-return lateral. Just the flukiest poo poo.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

syzpid posted:

You just can't learn Hacketts system in the 9 weeks since Rodgers got hurt. It is truly unique.

They didn't bring in Dobbs because he would have learned it in three hours and made everyone feel dumb

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah people in general give up on QBs way to soon but Mac has had plenty of opportunities at this point.

Though whether a new QB would actually change anything is another question

Gotta draft him so Josh McDaniels can ruin him

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Anderson Koopa posted:

I went to breakfast with my family, so I missed the Patriots game fortunately. I hope this brings someone some joy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

I would assume Diggs will not be a part of whatever soft rebuild the Bills take on. There's just too much smoke about him being unhappy for it being worth keeping him around during it.

He's also about to turn 30, so no point in keeping him around if he might be washed by the time the Bills are good again

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Phobeste posted:

I mean it is confusing and it does mean something is going on… with EPA and industry assumptions about its meaning and its power. But somehow if the stat doesn’t match reality the problem is with reality

Seeing Like A State: NFL Edition

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Professor Funk posted:

It's insane how badly that 2021 QB class has turned out. Even Trevor kinda sucks.

I still think there's hope for Fields if he goes to a franchise that doesn't specialize in breaking quarterbacks but yeah, massive disappointment especially when compared to the previous year's.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Counterpoint: There is absolutely no reason for a grown-up to put ketchup on their eggs when hot sauce exist. Your cornerback has great wisdom.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Yeah it seems like Amazon paid the NFL a shitload of money to let them have an island Black Friday game. And they gave Amazon Dolphins/Jets lmao.

Amazon's next generation AI told them that the people wanted Tim Boyle on Black Friday

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

So basically, he can’t beat the Bills or the two best teams in the league this season.

So you admit he's worse than Zach Wilson

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

fsif posted:

How goddamn bad does Siemian look in practice that they won't even try with him?

It has to be a tank job at this point. Siemien's bad, but I don't think he's ever looked as putrid as Wilson or Boyle.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

For anyone wondering the most recent best case scenario for a pass rusher recovering from an Achilles tear is… T Suggs.

Mcmagic is right in that the historical precedent isn’t great. Maybe Phillips can learn from Ramsey and his recovery.

Luckily, there's a quarterback who's taught himself how to heal such injuries through the power of mud right there in his own division

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

torgeaux posted:

Serious question for Jets' fans: Given the reputation of the turf there, why would an aging man recovering from an injury where bad footing makes it more likely he'll reinjure himself want to rush back?

I mean, if Rodgers wants to prove the packers held him back and he can carry a team with limited offensive skill but an above average defense to the post-season, why even consider a moment on that field before he's 100%? Is it all his ego to "prove" his medical knowledge?

For one, the last few years of his career have been dedicated to proving that you don't need to be particularly smart to be a HOF quarterback. For two, going on about his supposed recovery keeps his name in the headlines and gives him the attention he needs to keep from collapsing into a quivering mess.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

If you compare Davis to other WR2s on AFC contenders he is likely the worst. Zay Flowers, Jaylen Waddle, Rashee Rice, Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy, Mike Williams, Nico Collins are all probably better.

I mean, I get what McMagic's trying to say, which is that a lot of those guys don't really fit the bill of the traditional number two receiver who's perfectly serviceable but isn't The Guy. But that's just how it is anymore: If you don't have a second receiving option on par with your first, you don't have an NFL-caliber number two.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

Its wild how Philly keeps getting away with poo poo

https://x.com/ian693/status/1728939698352259155?s=20

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of a ginormous quarterback flopping to the ground

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

If my job went out of their way to replace me with someone obviously worse and then when it predictably didn’t work out, asked me to come back just to finish the year before they fired me, I wouldn’t want to either.

Zach probably shouldn’t have told anyone (if he did) but his feelings are fully justified imo.

Wilson's character arc going from petulant crybaby bust to sympathetic victim of Jets incompetence sure is something

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

BTW saleh deciding to punt the season after 4 plays is the most firable thing a coach has ever done that doesnt involve a crime.

It's 'we don't practice hosed' as an actual week-to-week gameplan

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

pasaluki posted:

The Jets especially want to talk because they are completely encircled and captured by Aaron Rodgers. I seriously think the people who are 'talking' are Saleh and defensive players.

Yeah, this. There's a really good chance that Saleh has no say over the offense at all, and some combination of Rodgers/Hackett/Douglas is calling all the shots while leaving Saleh to answer for their gently caress-ups. If nothing else, it would help explain all his bizarre non-answers about the QB situation.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The fact that we still have to look at Wilson at this point is just loving ridiculous. What are they going to do when he goes in there and plays like poo poo and they don't score any points again? It's like a form of ritualized self flagellation

Play Rypien. He has MVP genes!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

But the 9/11 guys failed on the whole. Like they didn’t hit all their targets

75% completion percentage. All-pro level.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It’s not the same Zach Wilson you’ve seen for 3 loving years. This time it’ll be different…somehow.

He's gonna overthrow his receivers by 15 yards instead of 10 now

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

How would it be properly communicated is the real question

Live re-enactment

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

like, i get you can't actually tank and come out and like punt on 2nd down but jesus christ why are you trying to win this game like you're still in playoff contention? it literally does nothing for the team or the future.

run and throw screens, at least make it seem like you're trying and just coming up short. the game check is still going to cash.

Why would Belichick tank for a team he's not going to be drafting for? Why would the players tank when they're trying to stay in the league?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

It's hilarious that people can get enchanted like that by a single performance. Some of the worst QBs in the NFL have had small stretches where they played well. It's meaningless noise based on fortunate matchups and luck.

That's just how it is when teams have been wandering the QB desert for a while. Give it a few years, and Pats fans will be talking themselves into believing the 2026 equivalent of Bailey Zappe is the future.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Parallax posted:

but maybe i'm being unfair to tua because there's a difference between one guy getting through and your entire line collapsing like a black hole

I think there's also a difference between hellacious pressure coming a few times a game vs half the dropbacks. It's a lot harder to get into the kind of rhythm that'll let you manage pressure when defenders are constantly in your face.

E: Woooo! Page 1000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Kurgarra Queen posted:

1,000 pages of poo poo-posting with you lunatics, I love it.

We should make a new thread when Bill Bellichick gets poo poo-canned, it feels right.

The Happy B-Day Thread