Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RIP to anyone who didn't get a PS5 in time to try the weird and rarely used cards that let you jump to specific levels sometimes. I never trusted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Not excited about Kojima coyness as much as I used to be I guess. His marketing campaigns toe the line between interesting and exhausting, since you know he can never just come out and say what his game is about. I liked Death Stranding but it didn't really seem worth all the secrecy for his big 'strand' idea that ended up just being asynchronous multiplayer.

I suppose it'll have a cool trailer with whatever newest song/band he liked, and the games are always solid (ha) when they actually come out.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Now they'll add a mission where you have to kill a wimpy hacker that stole some top secret source code.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In my head, a multi game where you and 4 other people work together to shoot ropecasters all over a brontosaurus sounds cool, but in practice it will undoubtedly turn out lame.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
SH and MGS are both deep in the category of "I don't care, until a new game is imminent and getting good reviews." Until then, they are in the Fallen Franchise corner of shame that RE went into between 6 and 7.

SH especially, SH2 killed off fresh ideas and now every game has a twist where the protag did something bad long ago. Seeing a bathroom turn rusty just doesn't do it for me anymore... at least PT was looking different.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Been wanting to try DQ11 for a while.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

this box art is a travesty

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I feel like Bloober's bad writing isn't as relevant here?, They aren't writing SH2, it is already written and designed. They are not going to be rewriting the endings or whatever, unless the original team is being a lot more hands-off than described. The cutscenes in the trailer looked 1:1, not redesigns like RE2. People are reacting here like they are writing original SH5 when I get the sense more of the Spyro remakes, do it exactly the same but new graphics. It won't solve the fact that SH games are not fun to actually play, trying broken doorknobs and running down halls of doors, but...

In 2001 I was disappointed with SH2, seemed way less scary than SH1. The evil world was more subtle and it felt more gloomy and depressing than scary. Loved the prison, not the apartment/hospital/hotel as much. Might give the remake another go if it reviews well though, especially now that I am no longer a deeply depressed/angry teenager and might view aspects differently.

Silent Hill f, I'm intrigued.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Observer and The Medium both ran like absolute poo poo

I didn't have that issue when I played Observer on PS5 but I was also talking about the writing discussion specifically. If the game runs poorly that's obviously its own issue.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

just remembered they drew a muscle-bound james sunderland to promote sh2 and the fandom wikia didn't disappoint

I must know the MGS2 demo secrets

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's not fair to the RPG industries in Jordan and Jamaica to squat a whole letter like that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
proper detailed chibi models

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My Dualshock 5 has developed drift on the left stick this week that is making Prey unplayable and getting worse. About a year old, even the joycons lasted longer. Never had drift on PS1-PS4... lame. Gonna try cleaning it but not thrilled at the idea of taking it apart or buying another one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Is drifting as big of a problem on the DualShock 5 controllers compared to the Joycons?

Not that I've heard of, Joycons are just the only other controller I've ever experienced it with.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Tranq gun pacifist DLC for both TLOU games

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bioshock 1 was pretty cool. That was the first game I saw on a 360, next gen gaming was crazy with that plane crash at the beginning.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They had announced it was going to be a rock musical with Kratos using his axe as the bass a long time ago, that isn't a spoiler.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was gonna go for GoW platinum before GoW2, I went back and beat Sigrun and various other things I didn't do before, but now I see that there's no easy way to find the ~30 ravens and handful of chests that remain, just a vague "somewhere in this massive region of Midgard are 2 ravens" and an online guide I'd have to follow. I guess I was expecting with all its other QoL features to get some kind of raven radar or something at the end.

Was fun going back for the lower-hanging fruit though. I had missed some of the puzzle islands and side-dungeons that were fun. Agree about the fog realm especially being a bit unnecessary. But it was nice artistically seeing the realm a bit I suppose.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Kratos using his blades to climb up short walls is such an improvement over all the climbing in 1.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Let us fly from the start you cowards

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I didn't expect to like her character in GoW2 as much as I have. Same for most of them really.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
(Picross S8 receiving #1 Game trophy from Family Guy douchebag) Sorry dad games, kids bonk zombies with swords... men do math.

(small dog person) Stop saying the endgame is boring!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I assume GoW2 is the same as GoW1 where, after the story is done, I can do all my exploring still right? I have been doing less side-stuff as the story has gotten more interesting and I want to see where things go, but I'm skipping massive amounts of stuff.

It's definitely amusing having the characters more or less literally say "ok the story continues here, but if we go to A we can do this sidequest, and if we do B we can do that one. But it's your choice, brother." Like they are putting the reassurances you'd see in a GameFAQs guide into the dialogue directly. Doesn't really bother me to the extent it does some, but it is interesting how their accessibility settings are so rich but they didn't feel the "giving advice" aspect needed a toggle or slider - I wonder if they might've if Horizon 2 hadn't been so recent and they could react to that game's feedback on Aloy's speech.

I can remember one puzzle where he told me the solution too fast, and two puzzles where I actually wasn't seeing the solution/object and their comments helped me move on. So it wouldn't be entirely unappreciated, with the right moderation.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
GoW3 I haven't fully revisited since release (only the first hour or so on Remastered) but I remember thinking it played super smooth, looked incredible, and was too over-the-top with all the executions and stuff. The idea of fighting all the gods, and many of the fights, were great, but stuff like the end of Helios and Zeus were to the point of goofiness. Not unlike MK fatalities. Wasn't sure what to make of all the Pandora stuff either. But yeah I'm glad the new ones don't just ignore them. Glad the series walked back from that approach (never played Ascension or the PSP ones). I'll be going back to 3 after this one I think.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I revisited the original 2005 God of War recently while working on a video and some maps about the level design.

I don't think there's necessarily much appeal for people who like the new ones, the first trilogy is tonally very different and gameplay is mostly the fighting. They didn't have the "puzzle archetypes" that modern games have (e.g. a common design language for the buckets you can cut down, windmills you can turn with your axe, various colors of burnable bramble etc) so puzzles are mostly one-offs. They have some cool spectacle but are mostly straightforward, with a couple notorious ones about pushing boxes before spikes come out of the floor and a literal puzzle where you reassemble a wall from broken columns. The writing is also very "I'm the angriest most heartless guy ever, either help me reach and kill Ares or I kill you."

It also had a puzzle like the woman one in 3 where you need to find a Spartan soldier in a tiny cage, push his cage up a big ramp while he begs you not to so you can incinerate him in a special flamethrower room. At the time, the QTEs were still somewhat novel and the big spectacle boss fights were pretty cool, it influenced a ton in the PS2 era. But yeah, a far cry from the reimagining and Kratos/the plot is much more standard video game fare. I do think it has some really neat environments and large-scale level/puzzle concepts though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah it looks just like a newgrounds game from 2000, same as Hollow Knight. They look exactly like this and I can't tell the difference

I think you are overestimating Windows 95 MS paint

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Doh, I can't tell anymore

Electromax
May 6, 2007
GoW has L3 as sprint and R3 as lock-on, and both to trigger rage mode, so I was constantly trying to turn, lock onto a new enemy and sprint towards them only to rage out on accident

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Commonly, Colosseum refers to the Roman one specifically while coliseum is used for a generic arena of similar shape. Not a hard and fast rule however.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Elden Ring has nice models, just make a show using them like Reboot. Actually... cross them over

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Was the first one terrible? Never played it or heard anything about it, just like the Nickelodeon smash ripoff.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Lara Croft was my personal crazy reveal hope for Smash after Snake and Cloud made it seem like all bets were off. Sony can win me over without too much trouble...

Lara & Tomba vs. Psycho Mantis
Giant Blasto vs. Team Bubsy

Electromax
May 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Played anniversary over the weekend and was reminded how much I loved watching my dad play through the originals, have not played any since underworld but Deffo gonna have at least TR 2013 on my "get stoned and play videogames 18 hours a day" annual Xmas break!

Here's a little art project thing I did last week about the classic games:
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1601549366082560001?s=20&t=Se9x3vXIVZ8gunBHSH7TNw

Revisited them for a level design video of the old trilogy. I skipped the middle era of Legend/Underworld but I liked the survivor games... inexplicable that at least TR1-3 have never had a classic package release or the PS Classic service, Lara Croft was like PS1's unofficial mascot with Crash for a while there. They are a bit obtuse nowadays, but even games like Syphon Filter owe a lot to the design. I hope whatever the next iteration is embraces more of the exploring/puzzles and less of the shooting mercenaries that TR2+ emphasized and Survivor took to 11 after Uncharted set the template. Combat should be a sometimes necessary area-clearing thing, not the main emphasis of a TR imo. Maybe that door is long since closed. People get too hung up on the character/look of Lara whenever it comes up and not how the actual games work which can be annoying.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I preordered the PSVR2 headset today in a moment of wavering sanity. Haven't used the PSVR1 in a year or so, but used it a ton for years before that - the launch lineup didn't do much for me, but now that GT7 and RE8 are getting free upgrades, I decided gently caress it. Here's hoping it doesn't die on the vine.

The games for PSVR1 that got the most time from me:
- SuperHot
- Beat Saber
- RE7
- The full London Heist game I can't remember the name of
- I Expect You to Die escape rooms
- Ultrawings flight sim
- the Walking Dead games for crunchy combat
- Arizona Sunshine and Farpoint (I have the Aim gun also)
- VR Football (draw your own plays and play the QB, actually loved it)
- Skyrim VR (never played it otherwise, but swinging a sword while shooting fireballs from left hand felt amazing)
- Obduction, basically Myst successor with a cool world to walk

...and a bit of GT Sport, Ace Combat, Squadrons, Wipeout HD for vehicle stuff although GT was pretty limited. Wipeout HD is highly underrated if you have the stomach for it.

Overall I have a weakness for gizmos, but after 6.5 years since v1 I've had enough fun to give upgrading a try. Not as interested in the Rush of Blood 2 or Horizon VR "experience" type games, but very interested in some better controls owing to the nice controllers instead of the limited Moves.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 5, 2023

Electromax
May 6, 2007

acksplode posted:

Did you try Rush of Blood on PSVR1? It's really good, very much a game instead of an immersive experience or whatever

Yeah, it was pretty fun! The trailer for the successor just didn't look much different, probably something I'll pick up on sale later.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My friend and I are finishing up The Devil Inside Me co-op (4th installment of Dark Pictures horror anthology a bit like Until Dawn). This one is themed around HH Holmes and imo it is definitely the most well-written/acted of the four and a solid fun experience. After the first one was OK (ghost shipwreck) and the second one wasn't great (foggy colonial forest), the third one was a big improvement (soldiers in a tomb during Iraq invasion) and this one an improvement still.

I think Until Dawn is still king (haven't played Quarry yet but just snagged it for free) but especially with a partner sharing the decisions and tense moments there is definitely some good stuff to be had. We'll probably play through this one a second time to try and save the characters I liked.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I hope AC doesn't resemble the Souls series in any way except high-quality level and art direction. Ready for a break from foggy stories and abstract histories.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There is already an RE5 DLC (New Nightmares or something?) involving Chris and Jill exploring a very RE1-esque mansion for a bit in RE5 engine. It isn't the same thing at all, but it also made me feel like a whole game in the narrow corridors of the mansion as-is would not really benefit from a camera like that, compared to RE2make there are a lot more small cramped rooms and small corner halls and stuff. Same with the Residence. The Labs and outside courtyard could maybe improve. But yeah, I'd rather see even CV remade before 1 or 5 (again).

If they radically rethink/redesign RE5 I might be interested. I don't think they'd be willing to drop co-op or the setting/problematic ideas as that's a big change, but that's probably what it would take for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Square got a good chunk of goodwill back from me with FF7R, and FF16 looks like it could be cool too. Maybe they've ironed out some of their production issues from the FF13-15 era.

I def am curious how different AC6 feels from the last one I played, 4A. The trailer looks just like those and not like mech-souls, hope it delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Would be cool if AC6 came with a table-size cockpit controller array like Steel Battalion with toggle switches and stuff.