Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Brightman posted:

. I think it would be neat if the big companies involved in these leaks leaned into it, and started curating development footage and writing up PR blogs to explain how it's not final and such. Might increase hype a lot, might not, I haven't looked into whether this approach versus the regular one has been researched or whatever.

Way too risky, people are too stupid. Look at what happened when a Spiderman trailer came out and there were fewer puddles (because it hadnt rained)
SO much promising and fun seeming stuff gets cut during development for various reasons, especially on these massive projects where there's a bit of a 'throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks' approach to using manpower at times, it would be a nightmare to constantly explain why things have gone. It's less of an issue with indie games because they have to make more careful decisions and mostly try to avoid working on things that might get cut.

In the last 5 years we've seen more of a trend to withold materials as late as possible to avoid this, you'd never convince a developer that going in the opposite direction is a good idea. Everyone in the industry is pushing for even shorter PR cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Strongly reccomend hardspace to anyone who enjoyed playing snow runner and found it quite thrilling to take a risk and watch it all go wrong in slow motion before struggling through a fix. Its the only other game I've played which is somehow super chill but also very tense at the same time.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The voice acting quality in deathloop is leagues beyond forspoken, they're not in any way comparable.
Good actors can save bad writing, but bad writing and bad acting is unbearable.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I posted about looking forward to it a ton so obviously I played a lot of hardspace tonight!
It's great. Nice to see how far it's come.

They have also managed what no developer has done before and make a unity game run smooth on a console.

I also glanced at the multiplayer mode, quite like the look of how they handled that. Score attack on the most complex ships with the ship changing each week. Wild the leaderboard currently doesn't even have 100 people on it yet, but I guess the only people who can make a dent in a ship that size by now have played to endgame on PC already.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Aipsh posted:

Does hard in space have proper multiplayer? I’d buy it right now if it does

No, it's a leaderboard thing - end game ships are generated weekly and people compete for a top score, each week it resets and a new ship is generated. You can track friends but not work on it together.
The devs posted a multiplayer teaser on their Twitter a few months back but also said they're really held back and not sure it can happen due to the engine/way it's built.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 24, 2022

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been away for the weekend at a wedding and I'm really struggling to keep on top of the good posts but a few pages ago bop mentioned having a self made archive of all art and cool materials for disco Elysium? Can I get in on that?
I'm weirded & seperately bummed out about the news.

Anything else I miss?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I love hardspace ship breaker so much and played a ton in early access on PC, but gently caress me lou is a really tedious character. Wouldn't be surprised to find out she's the writer self insert. That kind of person would have never taken a job like this in the first place!!

A bit of research into early unions and the sentiment that created them would have been a better move and kept the same story beats - lean into history rather than a 2020's lens. It dates it in a way that disco Elysium doesn't suffer from at all. That feels genuinly timeless in it's political critique.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 7, 2022

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I liked ghost and stranding equally for very different reasons, you can't go wrong!

I started playing days gone tonight but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep at it. I think I just don't care for a post apoc zombie story, I'm doing what's it's telling me to but I'm not really engrossed.

I'm in a bit of a no man's land with games and didn't know what to play. I finished the nonary game earlier this week which was incredible but my last 2 completed games were inscryption which looks like it could run on a Nintendo DS, and an actual Nintendo DS game. My poor PS5 is wondering when it'll get a real workout.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I was a big fan of powerline solutions and used them for years until I got into my new house earlier this year. Could barely hit 30mbps when we have 1k/1k fiber. WiFi is godawful in this house too and couldn't hit more than 50 when more than 10ft from the router.
Picked up a mesh network setup (deco) and have been thoroughly impressed. My office pc is wired into one of the hubs, the PS5 is wired into the other in the living room, and no cable runs. My desktop gets the full 980/980 of my fiber and it's also kind of nice having a mobile app that shows what's connected to our WiFi and what it's doing. Being able to set up guest networks with a few clicks is a fun feature too. I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I started playing days gone a few days ago and I'm trying really hard to like it but "bike required for job" MIGHT be my threshold Jesus gently caress. Forcing me to buy better bike parts to do story missions by grinding missions to level up camps to unlock the bike parts is a bit much 4 hours in.

I read online it's because my gas tank isn't good enough. I did a couple a missions, leveled up the camp, bought the next best gas tank. STILL NOT ENOUGH. Now I need to get that camp up another level.

E: and grenades don't take out nests, only moltovs, and you can only carry 3 at a time but every area has 5 nests and to make one moltov you need 3 items painstakingly collected from the world. and after watching the slow rear end animation to look at something 90% of the time the item you get is red 'max' because it's just ammo. lol gently caress this game how unbelievably tedious. It's like a AAA idle clicker except you have to press too many buttons.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 12, 2022

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not saying you are wrong because it's been a while, but I'm normally so annoyed by arbitrarily gated stuff in open world games and don't remember ever finding anything like that annoying in Days Gone.

Probably just because I've done nothing but the critical path. I suspect if you're scavenging as much as possible and taking out nests as you go - playing as intended, you wouldn't see this. But now I have to do side stuff instead of carrying on with the story. And it's probably not much but I've already been slogging through it hoping that at some point I'd care about what's happening to everyone. Maybe wouldn't take me long but I wasn't in the mood for it.

I remember with assassin's Creed Odyssey everyone was complaining about having to grind before doing missions but that never happened to me, I was super thorough on each island and didn't see any gating.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Bloodhounds fang was my weapon of choice for the 40 hours I put into elden ring and my friend used it almost all the way to the end. Gets extremely high damage output after a few upgrades.

Also as you progress I think the early stones get easier to get hold of

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I picked up sonic last night after being in turmoil over liking what I'd seen but the middling reviews... It's loving great (with some big caveats)
It does feel like an indie game made by less than 20 people. However it's vibe really clicks with me and arsing about in the world knocking off challenges is extremely fun. Im realizing that it's the exact game I wanted to play right now - as far as story depth, what it expects of you, how it's all delivered etc.

The last game that gave me the same kind of vibe as sonics open world was yokus island express - I loving loved that and even deleted my save to play from the start a few years after I'd beat it, which I never do. Something about it just resonates the same way.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Fix posted:

But it wasn't, though. Hundreds of people toiled at it.

Yeah, but it feels like 20. That's my major gripe and it's fortunately one I can ignore.
The routes and things to do are more dense than that implies - I'm talking production values/polish only. Art assets, menus, some basic building blocks. There is a decent amount of content.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
If you hit the ps logo and walk away, I'm pretty sure after 10 minutes by default it'll put itself in rest mode for you.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I finished the forspoken demo tonight. Bullet points:
I don't think it's going to be a bad game, necessarily.
But it is a bad demo.
It's the worst use of haptics ever. Beyond awful. Had to switch it off.
If you add a menu option to make the main character stop talking so much, just make that default, you already know it's too much.
My day job is working in computer graphics, I spend 20 hours a week in ue5, and I cannot figure out what the ray tracing mode does.
Also, normally I go for 30fps 4k in games - absolutley no chance in this. It feels awful. 60fps here feels like 30 in other games. People who are sticklers for 60 will find a new level of discomfort.
The world is nice.
Juggling a bunch of powers sometimes feels both spectacular and technical, which is a lot of fun, when it all comes together.
The only time I lost health was jumping off cliffs.

All in all I am going to guess they have hurt sales with this demo. The same team did a weird demo for ff15 but I think they forgot that was a main ff title so of course it would sell well... this is a game where you play as a brown millennial woman and change your nail polish for stat buffs.
I used to work with a girl who I know for a fact must be SO hyped about this game right now and it's kind of dope she has a big budget rpg just for her, but also I hope they made it good enough that it's fun for me for 50h. I will find out when the reviews drop though, not a day 1 purchase.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Pulcinella posted:

This is basically how I feel as well, though I don’t think I will pick it up even at a reduced price.

Let's be honest if it sweeps 8-9/10's like gow18 off the story and how the combat develops, you would pick it up earliar.
It's not likely... But that's my threshold too. I'd love it if it managed to sweep strong reviews, I'm genuinely rooting for it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

veni veni veni posted:

If Kojima actually makes a movie it's going to be the worst thing ever put to film. His level of unrestrained corniness works in video games because it's padded out by fun gameplay and is entertaining but if he is really making a movie, my god that is going to be some "The Room" level poo poo.

I reckon it'll be pretty good tbh. I think he knows the difference between movies and games, and he's spent the last 10 years getting super buddy buddy with some genuinely great directors and a bunch of actors.
He's going to be talking to guillermo del toro and winding refn about it before and during production.

I do think there's a high chance of him doing some gimmicky poo poo like the movie clue where they shot 4 endings and didn't advertise that they were randomly switched around each showing.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I picked up diablo 2 in the sale, I remembered playing it a bit at a friend's when it was out but not much, and it's such a great time capsule. Horrible ui and nothing dated about it is fixed, but the ability to click back to the old graphics is there to constantly remind you that wasn't the point. It's a really interesting feeling to be playing 2 copies of the game at once.

On a side note... gently caress I can't stop thinking about how good an arcanum remaster would be like this. It's kind of ruining my diablo 2 first time experience because I played slower paced isometric RPGs instead and why didn't they get this kind of love the world isn't fair I didn't get to play arcanum as a full magic dude, I was dumb at 15 and went with guns instead.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

bovis posted:

I actually still buy games on the NZ store since I created my account ages ago when I was living there haha. Surely it'll go on sale sometime soon, just have to wait, but drat that I probably just missed a sale! Thanks for letting me know.
Think I've probably got enough other stuff to mess around with so not a big deal.

There are 2 websites, psprices and psdeals - they show you the price history of any game so you can see how frequently it goes on sale and what to expect, and you can also set up alerts for specific games!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I tried to play the last of us back on PS3 and I got stuck at a part where I had no loving clue how to continue and kept banging my head against it over and over, eventually giving up.

I got the remaster for Christmas and I've been playing it again. Just got to the same point in the subway/underground, where it opens up into a series of hallways around a central area with a ton of clickers and I've still got no loving clue where I'm supposed to go. Just tried it 3 times and circled the area twice, crossed through the middle of it, I don't have any shivs, sneaking is slow as gently caress, and eventually I get sloppy and they're an instant kill grab on the easiest difficulty.
I thought maybe I just wasn't patient enough first time round but this room loving sucks.

I can't stand the noise the clickers make too. It sounds like dudes in a recording studio trying to make spooky monster noises, it's a really annoying sound.

E: lol I looked it up there's a tiny loving sliver of ladder poking out from above something I was supposed to notice.

I also realized that because the room looks the same, after I died I was getting turned around and mostly exploring the direction I'd just come from. In general I'm finding I've got awful sense of direction in this game - I can't tell if any given space is one I've just been in and I got turned around or if it's new. I've not experienced that level of disorientation in a game like this since 90's shooters

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 28, 2022

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

susan b buffering posted:

it's a great experience if you can deal with a bit of repetition. ending d is a gut punch and route e (which is new to the new version of replicant) is incredibly cathartic

This makes me sad, I never saw ending d or e. I've been intending to go back to it for ages, I loved automata and the remaster but I was trying to play blind and had SO many weapons missing when I found out I needed to collect them all, it just seemed far too tedious. I picked up a guide and got a couple extra, but momentum was sapped.

On replaying games, I am STOKED to replay the entirety of the Witcher 3 soon. I'm wrapping up the nonary game & tlou, should be starting it next week and it's going to be the only thing I play for 3 straight months (again)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I used to use powerline adapters but recently moved into a new house where they didn't work for poo poo. Was lucky to get 10 up & down and it dropped connection a few times a day.

Switched instead to a mesh network (TP-Link deco) - I've got a hub next to the router, one in my office, and one next to the TV/consoles - they talk to each other wirelessly, but I'm wired directly into them, avoiding having to use internal network adapters. I get 980/980 in my office - same as if I plug a laptop straight into the router. They're loving brilliant. Effortless to set up and we've got a few tiers of network so there's a seperate one for guests. WiFi signal anywhere in the house is rock solid now too.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

History Comes Inside! posted:

Mesh networks are very cool but £££

This was $200 on sale, so not nothing, but honestly worth it. Probably a hard sell if the only issue is your PS5 but it was a major and significant upgrade for our TV's and computers too. I work from home by remoting into a machine in another state so I wish I'd done it much sooner. I had no idea it was going to give me the full capacity of fiber wirelessly, I just thought it would give a small speed boost and become more stable.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
How much more of the last of us pt1 is sneaking past obstacle courses of instant kill enemies that make that dumb screeching noise?

These sections are beyond tedious and there are far too many of them already. On my way to the school and just hit another.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
gently caress me. Not sure this is for me in that case.

The sections aren't difficult it's just hold the stick down only half way and wander around the area until you figure out where to go, but they're so tedious it's too easy to get impatient and make a mistake. A test of tedium does not create tension.

If I stick it on easy do I get enough ammo to blast my way through those sections?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 1, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ok yeah I just dropped the difficulty and half of them dropped a ton of ammo when killed, I'm in business!

Using a brick to try and line them up for a double headshot with the shotgun is WAY more fun than holding the stick half way for 10 minutes.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

man nurse posted:

That’s fine. I’m just politely pointing out that, yes, the game expects you to slowly skulk around and not get insta-killed.

But I knew that and that's what I wasn't enjoying.

Fortunately it's a well designed game, and lower difficulties don't seem to affect health and damage too much, if at all - it even keeps the instant kill enemies, but it does give you enough ammo to go blasting, which is great!

I'm playing it like uncharted now, running around top speed, firing off a shot here and there, finishing the regular enemies off with punches. It's a lot more fun for me.
The difficulty settings are pretty much 'action game' vs 'stealth game'

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 1, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That's such a loaded post, ha ha.

You're making a big leap. Assuming I'm blasting through for the cutscenes and not exploring / experiencing the game properly because I find a particular encounter design the height of tedium.

Instead of gatekeeping what the real experience is, it's an opportunity to celebrate that the game was built with options in mind, and choosing to skip one kind of experience does not mean that someone is going to skip all other 'slow' experiences. I am exploring every crevice, crafting new tools, using them, and experiencing all optional dialogue. That's the good part of the game.

I'd probably have a lot more patience for stealthing those sections if the noise the clickers made wasn't so grating. Sound designers sat together to come up with the single most annoying set of sounds you could play at someone.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I guess that last line def came off in a way I didn't intend, plz imagine that I have a soothing barotone voice

I re read your post hearing a soothing baritone in my head and it did come across much nicer!
If I don't know someone irl I probably read everyone's posts in my own annoying nasally voice.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Nuts and Gum posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread but it's still bothering me: what was up with the huge ad push behind callisto?

There's a definite data crossover point where for every million you spend on ads you'll probably get close to a million back in sales, and it's proven to be much better to have some losses on huge sales numbers than it is to break even and sell fuckall.

I suspect this gamble didn't pay off for Callisto, but that's what they were going for at least.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Shrecknet posted:

we lose money on every sale, but we'll make it up in volume :shepicide:

It's dumb but if your business plan is longer term than a single product, you can use it to show how strong your brand is to get more funding (which will definitely make the next one profitable!!)

It's basically a pyramid scheme, borrowing from the future to pay the past, but that's almost all business these days.

I'm right at the very end of zeros last escape now, I reckon I've got an hour or two left. What a fantastic game! Can't wait to see how the last plot threads wrap up. Would've been better on the DS/vita but I'm glad they ported it so I could finally play it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 2, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I started another playthrough of the Witcher 3 last night.
Great to be back in it. The woman with the pan, the invading general trying to take care of the locals, the arsonist, the man who lost his box. All such great little moments already.

It's jankier than I remember it being. The opening tutorial and running across the castle walls is ROUGH. the new lighting is lovely though, the grasses and trees getting shadows into the distance makes a huge difference to how grounded everything feels.

My friend who's never played it before started a playthrough at the same time as me last night - I'm pumped for him to experience it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Kaiden bit the bullet twice already and I'll do it a third time when I play the remaster

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ff16 is ps5 only according to yoship.

he said he doesnt know why people seem to think it's coming in 6 months, not that there wasnt one.

I have been playing the witcher 3 a LOT this past week and a half. I normally only get 10 hours a week in tops to play videogames but i've somehow managed to squeeze 24 hours of playtime out of the last 10 days... The first time I played this I was living on my own dating my now wife and it's brought back the live memory/experience of going 'oh poo poo it's past 2am? last I looked it was 12 oh god I am going to be so tired tomorrow'
It's got it's janky bits, but it's loving beautiful in raytracing mode and i'm pretty sure i'm much better at the game's combat now too.
Although i'm having a pain trying to find a better silver sword. almost at level 11 and i'm still on my starting sword. done all the Kiera, crookback & baron quests, got to oxenfurt, and still I have only met a single blacksmith in the entire game, who may have had one for sale when I first met him but now is not talking to me presumably because I knocked him out in a boxing match. My steel sword now does almost twice the damage of my silver one and the only crafting recipe I have is for a level 12 silver sword I cant use yet.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 17, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

I said come in! posted:

Glad I decided not to listen to the terminally online gamers about Forspoken because this game has been really fun.

I'm really excited to play it. I know it's going to be my jam.
I was into sonic before release and wavered after bad reviews, only buying it because I had a free weekend, but ended up getting super invested and platting it.
Forspoken gives me similar vibes to sonic. I wish they didn't have to downgrade it and the acting was better, but I'm a sucker for a desolate world and some magic. Stoked to pick it up.

On a side note, I'm playing the Witcher 3 again and the level scaling is so hosed. Why do the main quests give so much experience? You get to novigrad at the reccomended level 12 and by the time you're level 20 the reccomended main quest level is still 12. And sometimes you get a main quest off the back of another one that's at a lower level that the one you got it from. Then if you do even one side quest you just eclipse the main quest level. It's such a loving mess.
The most important thing they could have patched into this rerelease was a mode where xp rewards are proportional to doing any side quests at all.
I am really enjoying playing the Witcher again - Witcher 3 was the reason I bought a PS4 off hype alone, since then I've played the second and first on PC in that order, read 7 books and watched 2 seasons of a tv show. Lovely to come back to it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 29, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Vikar Jerome posted:

Vagrant Story is going to be released on its own in November.

WHAT

e: where's that quote from Google ain't giving me anything. Is this just a rumor?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 1, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I thought mafia was supposed to be in the ps+ games this month?

2 multiplayer games and an indie title that was just on sale for $9 is pretty dire. Mafia was the only good thing about this month.
I dont even play multiplayer games anymore, I dont know why i'm still subbed. PS+ titles I play for longer than an hour in any given year amount to 2, maybe 3 tops. Would be cheaper to just buy them on sale.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Escobarbarian posted:

It is. I just snagged it. Mafia: Definitive Edition.

How?

It's not listed with the ps+ titles (although on second look I see evil dead is listed twice...), and searching the store for mafia only results in mafia 2, 3 & sonic mania for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Escobarbarian posted:

I just searched Mafia (on the PS App on my phone) and it was the first result. What country are you in?

US. maybe the web store is just hosed.