Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got a new iPhone 14 Pro Mac and I’m having a weird problem. Specifically, when I try to log in to Google accounts for calendaring or contacts, the web view just sits there trying and trying after I enter my username.

I’ve tried it on 2 wifis and cell network, and for both my personal and work (Okta-backed) accounts. Have also tried restarting the phone. OS is up to date (16.1). Tried deleting the accounts and adding them back fresh, also.

I’ve only had the damned thing for like 4 days now, so I don’t know how I could have broken it. Anyone have ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FCKGW posted:

Did you download any adblockers or anything on your phone? That’s usually where I look first for any funkiness like that.

Not to my knowledge—where would I check?

I was able to log into two Google accounts (personal and work, which is Okta-backed) via another app, the Superhuman email client.

Going to try reinstalling and then I guess call support!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

so I can’t log into any Google accounts from Settings *or* from an app like League (benefits app I randomly tried). when I try to log in from league, it lists a bunch of existing accounts (both signed in and signed out), but tapping one just sits there with the indeterminate progress bar on accounts.google.com.

if I try to log in from Settings, the existing account selector isn’t presented, just the email entry field. submitting that gets me the same stuck state

is there a way to purge the state of “system”(?) webviews like that? I’m wondering if some bad state came over when I restored my phone backup. (I’m not in a position to reinstall right now, but that’ll be tried too sooner rather than later)

E: I tried clearing Safari’s cache and that made the list of accounts go away for League, but didn’t solve the problem. I can use Safari to log in on google.com just fine. grrrrr

E2: ah ha but I can’t log in on account.google.com from Safari…

E3: solved! I had to disable requestIdleCallback in Safari experimental features. I don’t know why that was on in the first place, but people have been hitting this issue for over a year…

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 12, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, yesterday I think. I was hoping it was the solution to the login problem I was having!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you trigger the demo?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I might just be easily impressed, but the idea that my phone can talk to a satellite impresses me. I carried an Iridium pager for a while in the 90s, but this is cooler for some reason.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gay Retard posted:

You can "use" Google services/accounts with Apple's native apps and it provides a lot of great integration that you'd miss out on if you just use Google's poorly optimized iOS apps - the Calendar app will automatically add concert tickets/events that it finds in your E-mail, for example.

Ignoring the UX issues I have with Calendar (no week view in portrait, and switching back to day view every time I go to landscape?), is there a way to get it to show other people’s calendars on my corporate Google setup? I do a lot of scheduling with other people and I can’t see how to do that from the native app.

It also takes forever for the system to notice changes to my server-side calendar unless I open Calendar, which as a widget-and-watch user is infuriating.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gay Retard posted:

Isn't the list view close enough to a weekly view?

Not for the way I use it, but it's nice that it's there!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I feel like my battery life is worse on my 14 Pro Max than it was on my 12 PM too. Widgets and Home Screen (thanks, autocapitalize) are only at 2% of battery, so if that can be believed it’s something else. AO display obviously costs something, but I’m not sure if that’s it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know some locks let you use automation to lock but not unlock, because you can imagine the fallout if there was an exploit discovered. It's annoying I'm sure, but you have to be overly cautious with this stuff.

Wasn’t there some case of a person yelling “hey siri, unlock the front door” through a mail slot or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I sort of worry about that stuff, but then I remember that I have all-glass rear doors and glass panels on the front door and welp, I guess a wrench attack is probably a bigger risk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Today my 14 Pro Max locked up in a way I’ve never seen before. The screen froze at 1:56pm (about 2 hours ago now) and doesn’t respond to anything including multi-minute holding of the power button.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there anything I can do other than wait for it to shut down from low power hours from now and hope it returns to life after that?

Twist I didn’t expect: SMS from my non-cellular Watch still works!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Holy poo poo this forum is amazing. It’s booting now, pray for me. I love you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Question Mark Mound posted:

Facebook Messenger is the worst for bad notifications. For me to remove the badge on the app icon, I need to have read the message and swiped back to the "list of conversations" screen.

This is a dumb bug and I reported it in the Ex-Facebook People feedback group the other day. Shameful really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And then after you delete it locally how do you manage the iCloud-only photos? Some other photo app/site? A mess, like OneDrive “online only” stuff but worse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone getting a bunch of false positives from Find My left-behind notifications? When I change locations, carrying my AirPods Pro, I routinely get a “no longer with you, last seen at Place You Just Left” message and panic lightly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TraderStav posted:

Non stop since they turned the feature on.

For me it just started in the last month or two, I think. Prior to that they were all legit (hotel rooms and such).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jisforjosh posted:

My understanding is its a privacy thing to make sure someone hasn't slipped an AirTag on her or her stuff to track her without her knowledge.

Yeah but it shouldn’t go off if the linked phone is nearby, from what I’ve read.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure wish Safari could display PDFs in the iOS 17 beta.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I know, but what is the argument against letting people do it anyway if they are forced to acknowledge that it's at their own risk and won't be supported?

Because even after people check the box and break something, some meaningful number will still seek support, and even figuring out that the device is “as is” is on the other side of a support center cost, probably.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Timbs posted:

Generally because nobody involved in the argument is able to make any kind of informed claim about revenue so bringing it up is a weasely way to try to end a disagreement. Apple doesn’t tell anyone what their costs are and they do lots of things that aren’t obviously and directly related to bringing in revenue.

fwiw I agree it’d probably cost them more than it’s worth

How is it more “weasely” then any other speculation, like that about how easy it would be for them to do? Seems a little…bad faith.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Come on, Find My. It’s like you aren’t even trying anymore.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

17 beta? All my poo poo keeps doing it too.

Yeah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s usually more “cost of replacement and insurance rates” than “security implications”, because the latter can mostly be resolved through standard encryption systems, whereas the former can’t. But the former really only adds burden to employees who are already travelling to do their jobs, so gently caress ‘em.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Boris Galerkin posted:

🚨 In other news there’s a new macos and iOS security update out right now that’s highly recommended. It fixes a particularly nasty zero-day exploit that is actively being used that can be exploited by you simply receiving an iMessage. That’s all. No clicking or interaction required on your end.

Doesn’t seem to be available for the iOS 17 developer beta, which I guess could be a good sign or a bad sign.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah that’s a better way but it sucks if your kids have a bunch of game state under your Apple ID since there’s no good way to transfer it all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChaosArgate posted:

That exists, I have one on my desk.

https://a.co/d/cCZC07R

Can you charge a watch on that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

~Coxy posted:

She's going to have to create separate Apple IDs for her kids (and add them to her family - not strictly required but she might as well do it) at some point anyway,

I don’t disagree, but it’s still pretty annoying and disruptive versus “…maybe tomorrow”.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buglord posted:

What if the iPhone 15 Pro sucks

I’ll keep eating that garbage

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

And the dickpic filter.

Wait is it going to delete my collection of dickpics?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Buff Hardback posted:

Apple explicitly has a "do not deliver until street date" flag for UPS

the closest they can get is your local UPS warehouse until the 22nd

I feel like Captain Invictus could help us here (I forgot it was at 8AM and mine arrives mid-late October sigh)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also if I were designing Standby it would definitely run Watch apps as widgets

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Context posted:

I'd tried the same method with the "triple tap on device back" accessibility feature, but I found it way too inconsistent. I hope this works the way I want it to!

Yeah the back tap stuff seems pretty flaky. I’m glad I only use it for convenience and not out of necessity!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Sounds like downloading more ram.

How can it do that if every app is sandboxed?

Well it’s not sandboxed from the management interface like iTunes, so since OP said Mac owners should get it, I’m assuming the software runs on a Mac and isn’t an iOS app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, at least for Verizon shipping, no one seems to want the blue. The Pro in 128 and 256 blue is shipping on time (I think for both) and the Pro Max blue is the quickest shipping still.

Up here in the frozen wastes of Toronto my blue 15PM isn’t arriving until late October, boo.

Unrelated, I love that the haptic-touch speed affects the whole animation speed and not just the trigger time, for the little photo-zoom test. If you set it on slow it just…zooms…on…in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taima posted:

These motherfuckers man. They held off on processing my return until exactly at the point that the item shipped. So now I have to either ship the loving thing back or go to an Apple Store.

try just refusing delivery of the package

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taima posted:

Huh, that's actually a good idea. Can you do that pre-emptively or do I have to actually catch the person as they arrive at my house or what?

Have to catch the person or take it back to the shipper if they have a location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inner Light posted:

I would be wary of this option. The way that laws often work in the US, with lack of consumer protection: once the product leaves the distributor in a box, the product is no longer the property of the company. They can try to pin it on the delivery company, but if you refuse delivery and the package is "lost" on its way back to the shipper, you may be SOL. You would be trying to return a product that you have already purchased, and that you don't have possession of.

Isn’t that the same risk as shipping it back?