Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bro the name is Always On

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why can’t they at least center the camera so the phone doesn’t wobble as much

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The front facing camera, face id and proximity sensors are already in the center.

I like the pixel camera approach of a bar across the whole back so at least it's stable.

Yeah that’s good too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Certainly the future "TikTok but it's music" update will be.

Can’t wait to be algorithmically exposed to some teen’s Sonic rap

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Tbf we shouldn’t have to Google for it because it’s dumb. If the OS corrects a word and you go back and change it multiple times it should learn from that. It doesn’t seem like that should be such a hard thing to do.

I thought for the longest time this was how it was supposed to work. Instead it seems like autocomplete has somehow gotten worse and more stubborn over time.

Corb3t posted:

This is a comedy forum, I will continue to point out the absurdity of some goon's demands while also trying to help them.

Nobody funny ever needs to find themselves pleading “this is a comedy forum”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there any way to get search to go back to opening Safari with my search query when I hit “search”? The new behavior seems less useful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I feel like there should be an indicator when you’ve turned Call Forwarding on so you don’t forget and have all your calls invisibly fail until you figure it out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They can charge off of inductive stovetops now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My favorite part of using Android phones is despite having massive dodecacore CPUs and GPUs they’ll still stutter and lag on basic tasks like “scrolling a webpage”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What on earth is going on at Apple that they still can’t sort out the Weather app? They killed Dark Sky for this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s an outage that’s been happening over multiple days. Doesn’t really seem like an OS bug since they’ve been reporting it down on their server status page.

Oh well. Weawow works well for now.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 5, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Kroger used to bitch about this but are starting to relent and allow Apple Pay in their stores finally. I think Walmart is the only holdout and would rather everyone use Walmart Pay. Kroger still has their own pay thing too but will also accept Apple Pay now.

Christ, I thought we were past stores partnering with fly by night companies to roll out some horseshit custom payment service.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve seen a lot with damage on one of the pins but none that actually burned out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smackfu posted:

A new Pride wallpaper that has a neat animation but is otherwise ugly, and a Sports tab in Apple News. That’s what is in the upgrade.

Ok so I guess I'll still be force closing and reopening apps at a rate that rivals Android OS

Have they fixed the weather app yet? I still see posts on reddit saying it's putting out nonsense data.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are you joking

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Just wipe the drat screen down with a phone screen safe alcohol wipe or something. It’s fine. It’s not like you got brake fluid or gasoline all over it.

That would actually be worse than the wiper fluid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple Maps still sometimes gives me the same shoddy directions it did when it came out. On the other hand, Google Maps has spent the last two years telling me to take exits off of I-66 only to get right back onto I-66.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was a miracle I found the option to submit a request to Google Maps to stop directing delivery drivers into the neighborhood behind me and tell them to tresspass across the proeprty of multiple neighbors to get to me. iirc you can only get to it in website, not the app (or maybe it's the other way around). It took 3 months to get it fixed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

So, apple weather app seems to be a bit hit or miss lately.

With Dark Sky gone (rip) any specific weather apps people use? Anyone have better luck with apple weather app (I thought I heard they had some issues with it but I am not quite sure).

I've been using weawow for a couple months and it's been great. Its name also sounds like a borat joke

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You aren't imagining things, the official leather ones have gone way down in quality in recent years. It's embarrassing for Apple and a literal walking symbol of how Tim's spreadsheet costcutting mindset has started to whittle away the company's approach to quality.

My leather one deteriorated after 1.5 years and I ordered a Nomad case a few days ago.

It really should not cost so much to buy a plastic case that was gently waved in front of a cow. I tend to buy them when the next phone is out and the previous gen cases go on sale for $20, and that’s about the right price.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I’ve looked into those since I have zero issue actually paying money for a quality leather case but it needs to actually be functional.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Aukey dashcam has been great for two years. Why did they have to die while FGHOXXY and LIQQRL live on???!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Charge cycles wear out the battery, so run an app that sucks a lot of power and don't charge until it's nearly dead. Gonna need a lot of janitoring but that's life.

Put the charger on a smart plug and set a routine to turn it on/off every 3 hours or whatever cycle is appropriate when you have a game running 24/7

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Generally because nobody involved in the argument is able to make any kind of informed claim about revenue so bringing it up is a weasely way to try to end a disagreement. Apple doesn’t tell anyone what their costs are and they do lots of things that aren’t obviously and directly related to bringing in revenue.

fwiw I agree it’d probably cost them more than it’s worth

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mute switch is half of why I stick with an iPhone

Didn’t they already turn the power button into an “action” button?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Folding phones seem like awful phones and awful tablets. The proportions are all wrong for both. A perfect compromise.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My trade in with AT&T takes 3 years to pay out and I forfeit the rest of the money if I upgrade the phone before then lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So how do they pitch USB-C as something only Apple could implement

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

Do any of you guys rock screen protectors any more? My job can get decently physical and while I haven't used a screen protector in quite some time, I've noticed my last two phones (most recent 12 Pro Max) has hundreds of microscratches all over the screen.

Yeah because I do physical work and putting a naked phone into a pocket with grit in it will easily cause those types of scratches, and a drop onto rocky ground will create a tangible gouge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

what's up with these colors

i can't upgrade til there's a red iphone

Yeah I was really hoping for navy blue and forest green

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

No one except gamers is impressed by big chip numbers

I wanted a dedicated 30 seconds talking about how the new chip means my keyboard won’t suddenly disappear or get stuck in landscape mode while the rest of the image goes to portrait.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Stray observation that I am sure other people have made but no white iPhone 15 seems like they are really using "fashion" to force people into the Pro. Black is very severe, white was kind of the neutral, all the colors on the 15 just seem, I dunno, kind of immature?

Spring pastels are lame, give me my navy blue and forest green

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh, ATT is giving slightly more for trade-in on their website compared to picking ATT trade-in in the Apple Store app. My wife’s 12 Pro is worth $830 via ATT direct vs $800 through the Apple Store app. Weird.

Does Apple just give you the money instead of doling it out over three years like AT&T?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Also, I’m not sure whether AT&T honors your trade-in credits if you attempt to sign a new plan and buy a phone early.

iirc they explicitly say you forfeit the rest of your trade-in credits

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

You could do what I’m gonna do — trade in the phone to Apple to get a new one and stay on AT&T for at least another year.

You still have to buy out the balance on your phone with AT&T to do the trade and that forfeits your billing credits.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

No, they're right and you'd need to check the math to see if it makes sense monetarily. If you have a carrier promo discount, your options are basically: trade in the phone to carrier, losing the promo and not getting a new one (but not owing anything on the old phone), pay off the balance and trade in to carrier (or Apple, but they are offering less) for their discount, or trade in the phone to Apple without paying the balance and having to continue "paying" whatever to the carrier *plus* whatever it is to Apple after the trade-in discount. I can see cases where the third one makes more sense than either of the first two (particularly the first one).

Essentially if your balance was more than what you'd pay to Apple after the discount, it would make sense to trade in your promo credited phone to Apple.

Huh, interesting. Wouldn’t you have to deregister the phone you’re trading in and register the new phone though? Would that not trigger whatever clause the carrier has for making you lose your bill credit?

I guess it shouldn’t. It’d be hosed if you lost the phone and that meant losing your credit, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t believe it lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

withak posted:

Meanwhile the soviets just used electrical tape.

It works but doesn’t look as classy and tends to start curling up at the edges. LightDims are a pro choice

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ManSedan posted:

Apple Music is fine and the internet just has brain worms from Spotify spending a decade convincing people the only thing that ever matters is a non stop deluge of “new” music to discover.

I feel resigned to having to subscribe to multiple services to get what I need. Apple Music has great selection and goes to artist radio when it runs out of tracks but I don’t like that I have to explicitly add albums to my library instead of favoriting an artist, or that its Americana station is full of pop country. Pandora has fantastic radio stations and artist discovery but little else that’s compelling. Spotify is better than both in some ways and worse in others, but it’s the only one that has a native app in my car.

How’s Tidal? I think it’s the only one I haven’t tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pandora’s introduced me to a lot of new artists which I think is pretty rad because I don’t want to be like my dad who just kinda stopped looking after The Eagles