Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Halp

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just updated to iOS 16 and now the App Store forces me to enter my password every time I want to download a new app/game. Before it would just prompt me for FaceID. How do I turn this back on because my AppleID password is super long and unmemorable so I have to paste it in from 1Password each time.

E: I’ve tried toggling this off and back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to look at an Apple Music library without being subscribed? My free trials finally ran out and I want to go back to a different platform but I don’t remember what I’ve added since using AM

I am once again posting about the apple trial offers found in the Target store app, assuming you haven’t claimed this one yet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

How else does one transfer photos and video? I’ve tried waiting for iCloud to sync and it’s an absolute pain.

I just let iCloud sync when I’m sleeping I guess.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I search for “bird” in photos I get some pictures of things that aren’t birds. Is there a way to help train the ai by telling it there are no birds in the picture?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The only good thing about Brave on iOS is that you can add YouTube videos to the “Brave Playlist” thing which then lets you play videos with the screen off. This is immensely useful for me because a lot of content I “watch” on YouTube apparently would be better off as just audio podcasts and this kinda lets me do that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a way to set per app settings to not use cellular data?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Laserface posted:

Settings, all the apps are at the bottom of the main page, each one can enable/disable Siri, mobile data and other stuff

Cheers. I knew I was missing something very obvious.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Where do I go to change the email that “sign up/in with apple” forwards to?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is it possible to make a smart list in reminders.app to exclude a tag? I only see options to include a tag.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think it makes perfect sense that it works the way you described it. From the housemate's phone's perspective, there's an AirTag following her around. From your phone's perspective, it's perfectly fine. I don't think your phone and your housemate's phone communicate to let each other know it's cool, and imo they shouldn't be communicating.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why has my iPad defaulted to 2x playback speed on videos all of a sudden

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It knows your time is running short and is doing you a solid by letting you consume twice as much media before your doom. Sorry.

😢

No but seriously it’s annoying and restarting the iPad doesn’t fix it. Setting 1 video back to 1x doesn’t fix it either. The next video is back at 2x.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It knows your time is running short and is doing you a solid by letting you consume twice as much media before your doom. Sorry.

The problem has just fixed itself without me doing anything so… I guess I did some good deeds and extended my life a bit longer on this dead planet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I plug my iPhone into a pc it asks if I want to give the pc access to my photos and videos and poo poo. For this particular pc my answer is always no. How do I make the iPhone remember my answer?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think they mean it sounds like the battery is swollen which is bad because it can turn into a flamethrower.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Downside is I don't see those as an option with my provider.

From my provider I got the 13 for 31$ a month for 24 months (744$ Canadian, ~565 USD)
or the 12 for 24x24 (576$ CAD, 437 USD)
and 35x24 for the 14.

It looks like the SE is well, 579$ Canadian to buy direct from Apple. 13 mini says 849$ Canadian, which is closer to 649$ USD? (Checking the American version of the page it's 599$ MSRP?)

e: There's also like a bit of a bonus of like "can I get this tomorrow" (or very soon) cause of poo poo I need on my phone like 2FA crap.
e2: That said, I appreciate the suggestions, hope this doesn't seem combative.

If you buy the wrong phone Tim Apple is going to send goons to your house and beat you up.

If you’re totally fine with the phone you have I’d just pay for a battery swap from the closest froot shoppe. How far is “not very close” to you?

Either way, a swollen battery is no joke. It’s literally a fire bomb waiting to go off. Do not plug it in, and do not put it in your pockets.

https://youtu.be/jGUkKi7cfK4

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 19, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think nowadays setting up a new phone can be done phone to phone or something. One of the phones will display a weird 3D QR like thing (but it’s not QR) and you use the other phone to take a picture of it and then it just works.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Or all the kids these days syncing their phones over wifi?

I don’t know anyone irl who syncs their phone with their computer. Personally I just pay :10bux: for the 2 TB iCloud plan and family share that with 4 other people. In return I get their Hulu and HBO access (and they get essentially unlimited iCloud backup space) so it’s a win-win. Sometimes someone subscribes to random apps and shares those subscriptions too.

There is also the much cheaper iCloud plan without family sharing. I think that’s like $2?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 20, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there a shortcut action to enable/disable the audio feedback sounds from tapping on the keyboard?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I wanted a shortcut action so that I could have it auto activate when I go into work focus.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wooger posted:

Why would you ever want to enable them?

I legit type better hearing the feedback.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Hearing the noise won't stop you from.always.having.searches.like.this.

buglord posted:

Or@like@this@on@discord

American McGay posted:

My main issue is hitting the m when I’m trying to backspace so I always end up with shim mnmm mmn like this.

please stop you’re triggering me

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mine is half that size but like does it matter?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

How the hell do you get 40 GB of iMessages? Are you constantly sending 4K video to everyone?

You don’t shoot 4k/60fps videos of your 🍆 to send to everyone?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

smackfu posted:

Boy, Amazon sure killed Aukey dead didn’t they.

Wait what happened to Aukey? I think all my power bricks are Aukey cause they were cheaper than Anker when I made the order. And Wirecutter recommended them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

The most baffling thing is that, unlike other alphabet soup brands, their products were perfectly fine and the bulk of the reviews were genuine. It was something like 1-3% of boosted reviews.

Lol, I guess they hired an MBA who said they needed to boost their numbers? That sucks. I like what I own and like I said they are (or were) recommended by legit websites like Wirecutter which is where I go for a quick recommendation/starting place.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is Dark Mode suppose to switch off when the Sleep Alarm goes off? I just started using the Sleep Alarm and noticed it’s been doing that, even though it’s still dark out (and according to Weather.app the sun didn’t rise for another 1+ hours). I have Dark Mode set to auto from Sunset to Sunrise.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 25, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I was there was a way to reset all notification settings in a similar way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wasn’t there a built in app to get push notifications for sports that you followed? I can’t find it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

smackfu posted:

TIL you can hold down the shift button if you want to type a word in all caps like ATM or IMHO.

I am smart.

You can just double tap the shift button to lock it. LIKE THIS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

Has anyone else on the iOS 17 betas found that Siri talks to herself? If I make a request and her response requires a follow-up - such as confirming that I want to send a message - then she hears her own request and takes it as my response.

It's pretty funny, but kind of annoying.

Lol this owns

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I still haven’t figured out the automatic sunset to sunrise dark mode. I have both dark mode and night shift set to automatic sunset to sunrise. Night shift turns off at sunrise when expected, but dark mode turns off when I pick up my phone at 5 loving 30 am when everything is still dark. I’ve changed it to something sensible like 7pm to 7am now but it’s annoying why it doesn’t work as advertised.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

the sun rises at 4:48AM tomorrow where i'm at. maybe the sun has risen at 5:30 where you are.

6:40am

Either way it doesn’t change the fact that night shift is on but dark mode is off, even tho both are set to sunset to sunrise.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are there any good reviews/previews of the next version of iOS? I just got an email from da froot company telling me to check out the new public betas but I haven’t really been paying attention and wanna know what I’m getting into.

I used to be so excited for new iOS but I feel like starting some years ago iOS has been more or less feature complete for me so I no longer get excited.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Apple can blacklist the phone via its IMEI number or whatever so that it can never be activated again on a carrier. The hypothetical thief pointing their gun at you wouldn’t know this happened but the scrub who bought the used phone would find it to be nothing more than a paperweight the moment they stuck their SIM card in it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

Apple doesn't handle that, typically. It’s done at the carrier level and managed by a regulator; which often means it’s only effective in that nation. Your stolen iPhone’s blocked IMEI code will work just fine in the southern hemisphere.

Doesn’t every iPhone need to phone home to apple as part of the activation process?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are people actually getting their iPhones robbed at gunpoint or is this something old people say totally happens (like Halloween candy being laced with drugs).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do you guys have sources that say that this is an actual widespread problem because it sure does sound like old white people/boomer/racist fearmongering.

Do you guys put away your AirPods when you walk around “””bad””” parts of town?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 4, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Corb3t posted:

I used Apple Pay at my local coffee spot (Hyperion Coffee in Ypsilanti MI) and it asked me if I wanted to add a loyalty card to my Wallet and now my points are automatically added whenever I pay there.

This happened to me once but I’ve never gone back to the same cafe so I dunno how it works. I didn’t explicitly sign up for anything but there’s a loyalty card in my wallet now. Neat I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So when you go to your doctor with your digital insurance card, are they set up to just scan it or do you need to hand your phone over to them? They prolly take it a copier and scan it?

And the digital licenses, same question? Do you need to hand your phone over to the guy to verify your age?

Cause there is absolutely no way that I’m ever handing over my phone to someone.