Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a case that makes the back of the phone completely flat? Even the ones that are thicker than the camera bump still have a little lip around the camera hole that makes the back not totally flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
FaceID is fantastic, but I reaaalllly want them to bring back TouchID under the glass to supplant it, not replace it.

FaceID is great whenever i pick up my phone to use it like a normal person, which is probably 90% of the time. The other 10% are when I wake up in the morning, or when the phone is sitting on my desk and I get a notification I just want to glance at so i try to position my face over the phone to unlock it but it never reads my face quite right so I try again and it still doesn't read it right so I give up and pick up the phone but by now there's been too many failed readings so I have to put in my code anyway

It's the first worldiest problem, but I'd love them to bring back TouchID in addition to FaceID.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. Fix It posted:

:eng101: supplant means replace. you probably meant supplement or complement

You’re right, I typed “supplant” but meant “supplement” :doh:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI Amazon has the same deal as target and Best Buy now, $15 Amazon gift card when you buy a $100 iTunes card.

Can iTunes cards be used to pay for services (ATV+, Apple Music, etc)? I remember a time when certain Apple gift cards couldn't be used for certain things, but that might be over?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How the hell do I get the sports live activity to work in 16.2? I'm following the Rangers in the TV App, my iPhone knows I follow the Rangers because I get the "Coming Up - NY Rangers game" notification from the TV app, but no Live Scores Activity.

Does it not work for the NHL yet?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Speaking of HomeKit stuff, the Home app wants to "upgrade the underlying architecture" of my home, but then gives me a scary warning that some devices won't be able to use Home until they are updated and just lists my old iPhone.

I'm pretty sure this is the case but I want to be 100% sure - this only means that the old iPhone won't be able to access the Home app and control things, is that correct? This won't have any effect on the myriad of Hue bulbs around my house or my smart Thermostat, both of which I have no interest in trying to force some kind of upgrade on. Is that right?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have AppleCare+ on my 13 Pro that's gonna expire in the fall and I've never used it. My screen has a small-ish scratch in the middle that's usually invisible but you can see it if the light catches it right. Also you can feel it with your fingernail. Will they replace the screen for free $29 for that scratch? Or does the screen need to be really shattered for a screen replacement?

Additionally, my battery is at 86%. I probably won't do a battery replacement until right before my AppleCare+ expires. Is it a hard rule that they won't do it for free unless you're at 80% or less? Or is it more up to the Genius's discretion. And if I want to replace the battery anyway, they'll just charge me like $70? Is that price the same regardless of whether or not I have AC+?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 3, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's been a few years since I did any of this, but when I was doing AASP stuff, they are very strict on what qualifies as a bad battery for replacement. Like you said, it's not just the percentage but other tests that have to pass or fail. They got even more strict on those as time went on. Before, I could just put in the repair thing "bad battery" and I could get a replacement. Then they started demanding the online tests for everything battery related so it became harder to fudge stuff to get new batteries (when I knew 100% that the battery was bad). I would say unneeded or 'fraudulent' battery replacements were a huge issue for them.

But is that just for a free (“covered”) battery replacement? Can I still opt to pay $79 for a replacement even if it passes all their tests? And, if so, is that the AppleCare price? Or is that the price for anyone who requests a “non-necessary” replacement?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Macichne Leainig posted:

Also for the random times where it decides to notify me about my wife's AirTag following me, I sure would like an option to be like "yes I recognize this AirTag, stop notifying me about it"

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, all the stories about “stalker using AirTags to track someone” boil down to “I found out my ex was stalking me when I got an alert I was being tracked” and that’s working exactly as designed then?

I got some AirTags for Christmas and put one in my car. My wife has driven the car (without me) SEVERAL times since then. Never got the "an AirTag is following you" notice. I just figured that since she and I are on the same family plan, that it was smart enough to not notify her.

Nope, she just got the notification yesterday. So she's been driving around for a month and a half with this AirTag in the car and no notification for some reason.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sorry your ears don't work, or maybe it's just a gimmick when used for music, but Spatial Audio is INSANE for watching TV. I remember the first time I used it watching TV with my AirPods Pro in my ears, my wife was asleep in the next room and once the Universal logo came on I scrambled for the remote because I was SURE that the sound was booming through my apartment.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Question Mark Mound posted:

The gimmick of turning your head away from the phone and having the sound turn with you is fun at first. Then you move the phone anywhere at all while holding it and the immersion is immediately ruined.

Yeah I have no idea why you'd want it on a phone. But using it with an AppleTV (ie - when you're sitting on the couch and not moving much) is awesome.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

What does Apple use for their traffic / speed trap alerts? Because it's always completely wrong and I'm curious if they take so long to propagate it's useless or have the dumbest drivers on the road submitting reports.

I prefer using Apple Maps instead of Google or Waze, but you're correct that their speed trap alerts have been 100% wrong in my experience. When they say there's one ahead, I never see one, and I see them all the time when there was no warning. Would be nice if they could get some kind of data sharing agreement with Google/Waze for this info, but that'll never happen.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This is almost certainly not the right thread for this as it's primarily a macOS question, but the macOS thread in SH/SC seems to be for mostly coding type stuff so maybe someone here will be able to help with my basic bitch issue.

I recently downloaded all my photos from Google Photos and added them to Apple Photos. I had all the Google Photos on an external drive, and I was just barely able to add them all to the Photos app on my MacBook. It left me with only like 2GB of free space on the laptop, but I figured that was ok because it would all upload to the cloud overnight.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. I started getting a "there is not enough free space on disk to sync to cloud" error. This doesn't really make sense to me because the files are already on the disk and I have plenty of space in my iCloud account. But apparently you need some free space on your local disk to sync to iCloud for some reason.

So, based on this link (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517), I'm currently moving the photos library to an external drive, then I'll delete the library on the MacBook, and let it sync to iCloud from the external drive.

Hopefully that works, but that brings me to my question - what do I do after that? I don't want the Photos app on the MacBook to only work when it's connected to this external drive. Will syncing to iCloud shrink the size of the photos library, at which time I can manually copy it back to the MacBook? Or is the actual library file irrelevant once everything's sync'ed to iCloud?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

If you don't have the MacBook set to keep the originals, the onboard storage should shrink to the cloud thumbnails.

That's how I expected it to work, but not how it was working.

I had loaded everything to the MacBook library which left me with only about 3GB of space on my MacBook hard drive. I set MacBook library to sync to the cloud to free up local space, but that's when I was getting the "not enough free space on disk to sync to cloud" error. Some google research showed me that macOS still needs a fair amount of free space locally to facilitate syncing to the cloud for some reason.

I went through with my "move the library to an external disk and sync from there" plan last night, and it seems to have worked. Photos app reports that everything is sync'ed to the cloud. But the library file on my external drive is still 80GB even though I have it set to only keep the high res versions in the cloud. I'm thinking maybe because my external drive with the photos library is nowhere near full, the Photos app is choosing to keep the high res versions locally? But that doesn't help my ultimate goal of getting this library back onto the MacBook itself. I hate that I even need to janitor a local library file, why can't that just be in the cloud?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What can I do to make the battery wear faster? Battery health on my 13 Pro is at 85%, and I'd love to get a free replacement under AppleCare before it expires on October 1. I think it needs to be at 80% before they'll do a replacement? But even if I can get it down to 82/83 I feel like my chances are good.

EDIT: Actually - I'm definitely going to be getting a screen replacement before AppleCare is up (I live that case-less life and my screen has a ton of micro scratches and one real scratch that can catch a fingernail on it). If I go in for a screen replacement AND a battery replacement at once - are they going to do both to my phone? Or are they just going to give me a new (refurb) phone?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 27, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've got a weird Apple Music issue that's been ongoing for years and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or maybe they've had something similar happen.

During spooky season, there's a radio station I like to listen to https://music.apple.com/us/station/halloween-radio-oldies/ra.1461019257

It's one of those TuneIn stations (I guess Apple Music has a deal with TuneIn?). The people who run that station have a few others as well.

The station works perfectly when I'm on wifi. The second I get off wifi and stream off cellular data, it stops working. What's weird is that other stations run by the same people still work fine off cellular. It's just the one station that doesn't work.

The issue has persisted across multiple iPhones and iOS versions, so it has to be something with that particular station and I can't fuckin figure out why. What's also strange is that the people who run those stations also have a standalone iOS app. It does the same thing. When on cellular, that station doesn't work but all the others do.

The only fix I've found is to load the station's web version in safari and play it through that.

Any ideas?

I don't have any help for you, except to note that I was just able to play this station fine on 5G. So whatever the issue is, it aint the station.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I used Airalo when I traveled to the UK earlier this year and I'm using it for another trip in a month. Like the poster above me said, data only, but I used it with a Google Voice account to be able to make a few calls in a pinch.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

I love Airalo but the ONE issue I have with it is that my iMessage breaks 9 times outta 10. I have no idea how to keep it working.

drat, I thought this was just me. Glad to know it isn't.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

(if it finally has the USB-C that will lean heavily towards the 'yes' checkbox)

My original plan was to give my wife (who’s still using an XR) my 13 Pro and buying the new 15 Pro for myself. But if they add USB-C across the whole line, I might just get us both new phones to rid my life of Lightning once and for all

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I actually have Verizon but I’m using Airalo in another country RIGHT NOW.

I’ve found that the magic combination to keep iMessage working is to make sure that data roaming on your Primary (Verizon) line is turned OFF, and that your cellular data is set to use the Airalo eSim and make sure “allow cellular data switching” is OFF. But you need to keep your Primary line on and your “default voice line” set to Primary.

With this combo, I can still iMessage people using my regular USA phone number, as long as they are iPhone users of course. I can also call them using FaceTime Audio. I also have a Google Voice number set up in case I need to make any calls to hotels or restaurants or anything else that’s local to the place I’m traveling to. I only found out recently that Google Voice won’t send or receive international SMS messages, which threw me for a loop when I first got here.

I just need to make sure I don’t A) place or answer any phone calls from the Phone app, and B) don’t send any SMS messages - strictly stick to iMessage. Doing either of those things would trigger a TravelPass day. And since I haven’t gotten any texts from Verizon letting me know that my 24-hour Travel Pass session has started, I think it’s working out well for me?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MyronMulch posted:

The last time I went abroad was March 16th, and the message from Verizon at that time was the same as all the other times I traveled -- that I have TravelPass, and that I pay only on days that I use the mobile service, and that was how it worked out. If I leave data roaming off and use an ESIM, then it's just voice and SMS to watch out for, as others have mentioned. Unless Verizon has changed their policy, I think people are misunderstanding the message.

Yeah, when I landed I got the standard “Welcome to Australia! You have Travel Pass which means you can use your domestic plan for $10 per day. Pay only on the days you use it” text. As I understand it, that text is fine.

If you receive any further texts that say something like “you have activated your Travel Pass! You can now use your domestic plan for 24 hours”, then something got screwed up and they’re gonna make you pay 10 bucks. You then need to figure out what it was and fix it before you get charged again on the next day.

You can always use the nuclear option of turning off your Verizon eSim entirely, but that’s gonna screw up your iMessage. If you and everyone you know uses WhatsApp or Signal or something then that shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately, my friends and family do not.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I never installed a beta but I want to get ios17 RC installed now, do I want to select the “developer beta” or the “public beta”?

Or does it not matter since they’ll both be the RC now?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My wife still has an XR and is totally happy with it EXCEPT for the camera being hot garbage. My initial plan was going to be to give her my 13 Pro and upgrade myself to the 15 Pro. But I’m super ‘meh’ on the 15 Pro, so I think we’ll just upgrade her to the 15 vanilla for “free” thanks to Verizon’s trade in.

Will the vanilla 15’s camera take photos that are better than, or at least comparable to, my 13 Pro? I’m tired of her asking for my phone all the time to take pictures :saddowns:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Oh yeah, I have no doubts the 15 will have substantially better images than the XR. I’m just wondering how it’ll compare to the 13 Pro because if the 13 Pro still has better pictures then it won’t solve my issue of her constantly taking my phone to take pictures

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
AC+ on my 13 Pro expires TODAY. Do I need to do anything to continue month to month? Are they going to send me an email or something tomorrow when it's actually expired to get me to go month to month?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Talorat posted:

So I’m dual simming in Europe right now, and it’s working great, except my battery seems to drain rapidly due to having two radios on, and if someone calls me it burns one of my travel pass days from Verizon. Is there a way to temporarily suspend my original sim WITHOUT having it disappear from iMessage?

This is extremely YMMV, but I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't answer any incoming calls, then it won't count as a travel pass day.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
With Travel Pass, as long as you don't answer (or place) any phone calls (may want to take astral's advice and turn off voicemail transcription) or send any SMS/MMS text messages, you should be fine. You should be able to still receive SMS messages without issue.

The canary in the coalmine is the text from Verizon. When you landed wherever, you should have gotten a "Welcome to [country]! You have Travel Pass, so use your voice and data for only $10 per day!" kinda message from Verizon. As long as you don't get any further Travel Pass related texts from Verizon, then you're good - you haven't done anything to accidentally trigger it. If you get a text from Verizon that says "Your Travel Pass day has started! You have 24 hours left in your Travel Pass" or something like that, then you did something wrong and are out 10 bucks (or 1 banked Travel Pass day if you have them.) Then you gotta figure out what you did to trigger it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Apple One Premium subscription is $37/mo now :negative:

This is how they got me. Apple Music and iCloud 2TB are perma-subscriptions for me, and once you add in Apple TV+, then it’s only a dollar more to get the Premium sub which includes News, Arcade, and Fitness, so I just do it.

If I ever want to cancel Apple TV+ though, then it’s probably worth dropping the premium plan.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My biggest Apple Maps pet peeve:

When I pick a route that's not necessarily the fastest route (maybe i want to take the scenic route), but then I miss a turn, when it recalculates it completely changes the route back to the fastest one.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Data Graham posted:

My biggest mapping wish list item:

MUTE FOR THE FIRST 10 MINUTES OF THE TRIP

This wouldn’t be an issue if it was easy to turn on/off the spoken directions, but it takes like 4 taps of the screen on a very small button to do this (in Apple Maps).

You used to be able to do it just by tapping the giant black box that has the next turn in it, but they changed it like two OS upgrades ago and I hate it

Also, for the people who like Waze’s speed trap notifications but hate everything else about it - if you’re using CarPlay, you can use Apple Maps but open Waze in the background and don’t set a route. Even when you switch to Apple Maps, Waze will keep running and alert you to any speed traps or other notifications.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
While we’re on the topic of iOS mapping apps:

Why the hell did Google start doing this? Where did this come from? Is it a pandemic thing? I hate it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have literally never seen it spelled "kerb" except for in these Google postings. Is that really how they spell it in London? hideous

And even if that IS the case, why the hell is Google using that spelling for me in :911: ?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

You change your outgoing iMessage to either the foreign number or your email. Your Apple contacts won’t notice a thing.

In my experience, this isn’t true. It SEEMS like this should be how it works, but if you do this, your Apple contacts start saying “why are you texting me from your email” and you look quite the fool.

OP, I’m phone posting right now so I can’t find it, but search my posts in this thread for a full write up on how to use your phone with an international SIM and not have to pay Verizon any money. It’s much less intuitive than it should be, but my 2.5 week trip to Australia earlier this year only cost me 20 bucks to buy an eSIM, vs the $180 it would have cost to use Verizon.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

This wouldn’t be an issue if it was easy to turn on/off the spoken directions, but it takes like 4 taps of the screen on a very small button to do this (in Apple Maps).

You used to be able to do it just by tapping the giant black box that has the next turn in it, but they changed it like two OS upgrades ago and I hate it

MASSIVE UPDATE

I don't know when it happened, but I just found out yesterday that they brought back the "tap the directions box to mute the directions" shortcut in CarPlay. HUZZAH ALL HAIL TIM APPLE IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
You don't need to add the new card to Apple Pay. Your Apple Pay virtual card will still work, even though you had to get a new physical card with updated expiration date and CVV.

I don't think i'm totally understanding your second complaint, since it's totally possible and straightforward to add multiple cards to your wallet (a business card and a personal one) and pick which one you want to use for each payment.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I forget if I shared this here, but a really good reminder to really guard your phone / tech.

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/jo...=djemTechThings

Having helped customers reset passwords all the time for years, i get immediately how he (them) were doing it. It’s just extremely impressive how fast.

I donno what the balance should be on security vs ease of resetting passwords, there are so many people who just can’t handle tech, some because they’re ignorant, some because of mental / physical issues (like the earlier discussion on safe guarding grandparents phones, etc).

I just watched this video, and at first I was thinking "this is dumb, don't give your phone and passcode to drug dealers (or anyone really), this is 100% the victim's own fault" and I do still believe that, but I was pretty shocked when they got to the part about the FaceID.

I don't feel like testing it out myself, but is it really true that if you change the Face stored in FaceID on your phone, any apps that use FaceID will immediately accept the new Face without any kind of re-authentication? Because THAT is nuts. I would think it would be super simple to make it so that a change in FaceID triggers any apps that use FaceID for login to require a password on their next login.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've been waiting for years for under-screen TouchID to make it's debut but there haven't even been any rumors about it in a minute. :(

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah I should clarify, I want TouchID under glass back on the phone in addition to FaceID, not in replacement of FaceID

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I just Googled and they say they expect distributions in January 2024. I checked my email and I did submit a claim for digital payment.

Fake edit: just checked my checking account and there’s a $92.17 deposit pending. :woop:

I barely remember doing it, but I just checked my email and in fact I DID submit a claim for this in July of 2020.

HOWEVER, I selected "mail me a check" as the payment option and I have since moved to a different address than the one they have in the settlement. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m not sure what happened, but after my battery health being at around 84% for the last 6 months or so, I just checked today and it’s dropped to 80%. Is that “free replacement battery under AppleCare” territory?