Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also like Smartish stuff.

I have their wallet slayer case and it's kept my 12 nice and safe for 2 years through some pretty nasty drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting between iPhone and AppleTV threads.

Anyone do any AirPlaying of YouTube to AppleTVs and use the Vinegar extension?

It looks like something is blocking or glitching out airplay at anything at or above 720p quality.

Seems to maybe be a tvOS 16 bug? I can airplay 1080p to my LG tv via it’s implementation of AirPlay. I can watch 1080p on the phone with no airplay. I can airplay 4K videos from my camera roll to my AppleTVs.

But trying to airplay youtube to an actual AppleTV is giving me a little Cannot Play symbol (red circle with line through it). And it’s been this way since tvOS 16 dropped.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For the people who have had the crackling in their AirPods, is there a certain thing that triggers it?

I think one of my AirPods is doing it whenever I talk while listening to something. It seems to crackle or buzz as if the microphone is picking up the sound and putting it through to the actual podcast sound.

The reason I am asking is that the nearest Apple Store is almost 2 hours away. I want to make sure that I am on the right path before driving that far.

what you're describing is what I experienced with mine. Brought them to the store, and after testing them, both were confirmed to be malfunctioning (I only ever heard crackling in one).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I wrote this reply from my Mac via the Awful app.

Maybe I’m just getting old and prefer the app’s layout. Better get me a jitterbug flip phone for my next birthday.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That’s correct. It just means those other devices won’t be able to control your Home’s accessories until they get updated.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I’ll add my anecdote to say the upgraded Home structure actually improved my HomeKit experience.

Like, way better. Siri and our HomePods actually differentiate between my wife and I’s voices now. Automations update the first time I make a change instead of the second or third (or needing to just be setup fresh every time).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Does anybody actually like giving voice commands? This far into the game and I still feel like a dorkus who can't think what kind of phrasing to use until I'm halfway into a stammering unparseable command that I could have given in 1/10 the time by typing.

"Hey Siri tell everyone food's here" that just does not seem natural in real life no matter how much star trek I've seen

I actually use it a ton for grocery items.

AnyList has deep Siri integration and it's become a go-to thing when I'm in the kitchen and find I'm running out of something.

It took some time to learn (which I totally get. My wife still has to think about it first before saying anything) but I can say "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add orange juice to my grocery store list" or "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add toilet paper to my Costco list" and it just works. Love that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, easy to say when you rehearse any line before you say it. I'll be sitting in a car and it's not like "Hey Siri, directions to 123 Butt Lane", it'll be more like "Hey Siri, directions to uuuuuhhhhh wait a sec, what was Dave's address again, I think it was 123 something. OK never mind, hey siri, no wait, delete—never mind" *waits for it to time out so I can try again*

I'd be like "Hey Siri, play some—actually no, ok wait I have a dance music playlist. Hey siri play dance music playlist I forget what it was called, but play it on the other HomePod, the one that's downstairs, I think it's called Gym because I had it in the garage and there was a treadmill in there and god dammit never mind I'll just do it myself"

I dare any natural-speech dev to figure out a way around me

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I got the belkin 3-in-1 charging stand with MagSafe and converted to MagSafe life.

I really hope it takes off too with Qi2.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I put my phone on a MagSafe (not Apple brand but it brings up the MagSafe charging looking) charging pad last night and it lit up with the charging circle. I wake up this morning and my phone is dead (I put it on last night at 15 percent).

drat my inability to buy name brand and much more expensive products.

Try restarting your phone. Really.

My Belkin 3-in-1 MagSafe charger stopped charging my phone and it turned out that my 12 just needed a reboot. Works like a charm after. The damnedest thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Just get an iPhone wallet if you're shoving it in the same pocket anyway imo

The AirTag wallets all seem way too thicc

The iPhone wallet doesn’t have the same directional tracking or sound producing features AirTags have.

Would be cool if it did though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If only Apple actually worked on actual improvements to Siri instead of dicking around with on device LLM prototypes for 3-5 years.