Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Apple is going hard on advertising despite internal push back and negative media coverage because Tim Apple wants those fat Google-size gross margins, meanwhile they just hiked the cost of Apple One two weeks ago, the days of high-value low-cost services from Apple are over.

Nerds are being a little bit alarmist about this stuff, but I do worry how their pivot to more advertising within their apps re-shapes the culture within Apple and how they deliver their overall experience. I know people say the Apple Store employees and overall experience has really taken a turn for the worst over the last couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well not only is that a requirement of capitalism, phone sales are tapering off so they gotta replace it with something. I doubt their AR glasses are gonna turn things around.. not in the near term anyways.

Apple certainly can't rely on the iPhone for the bulk of their profits forever, but I do think they're lucky to be selling a device that needs to be replaced due to regular wear and tear. Users might wait a little longer to upgrade, but they still shelling out $1000 every 3-5 years.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Yea Apple has more or less reached market saturation with their current hardware lineup, most of their recent growth has come from services.

Latest rumours are that there’s going to be an iPhone 15 Ultra with a significantly higher retail price than the existing Pro models lol

I have no idea what they could possibly put in a smartphone to justify an even higher price tag at this point. At least with the Apple Watch Ultra, you're filling a specific niche use-case and the price isn't that much more compared to prior year Titanium models.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Quackles posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention:

• Assume I'm buying the phone used. Just say what model you think would be best and I'll ask my local independent computer store to fish one up.

Duckman2008 posted:

Just to check: are you in the US or not ? US has an on going carrier price war, so sometimes you can get good deals. Postpaid only.

13 pro max if you can find it used would be a good option otherwise.

Definitely consider this - I can't believe how many $500 - $1000 credits available, even for 5+ year old trade-ins.

I'm pretty amazed you've gotten by with a 32GB iPhone for this long - managing a device's app storage sounds like my worst nightmare. Give me the extra storage so I don't have to think about it for the next 3+ years of the device. The last time I had 32GB of storage in my phone was over a decade ago with the iPhone 5 :aaaaa:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 18, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Resdfru posted:

How do the Google apps work with ios, from what I can tell on my iPad, Google photos won't upload pics unless I have the app open which is kind of annoying. Any other weird quirks with Gmail, maps, Google home, other apps? Does the Google opinion reward app on ios give as many surveys as Android?

Pay for iCloud storage and don't let Google Photos destroy all the great Live Photos you and your kid are going to take. Google Photos supports Live Photos, but they'll still compress the poo poo out of them. It may be worth considering a ~$3 a month iCloud family account so you and your family can easily backup your devices and photos and such.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 20, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

sourdough posted:

Using an iphone with Gmail, Google maps, Google photos, chrome, gcal, etc, works great and there's no reason to switch to apple's versions if you're already used to and using google's

You can "use" Google services/accounts with Apple's native apps and it provides a lot of great integration that you'd miss out on if you just use Google's poorly optimized iOS apps - the Calendar app will automatically add concert tickets/events that it finds in your E-mail, for example. Lets be honest - most of Google's apps are just web browser wrapper apps. You probably want to link up your google accounts within iOS's native apps as well as have download Google's version so you can see which apps have the best integration, lockscreen widgets and such.

I barely use any of Apple's native apps, but it seems pretty shortsighted to delete all of them and replace them Google's apps that don't integrate nearly as well with your the phone's OS - why even have an iPhone? I've used my fair share of Google services over the years and their actual apps leave a lot to be desired. There are also tons of high quality third party apps that are fully integrated with Google's services like Spark and Fantastical. It may even be worth checking out Sweet Setup for some inspiration.

Also, give Safari on iOS a chance - it has browser extension support, so you can install great things like Sponsorblock for YouTube ad skipping and AdGuard. It has some great gestures and a better overall UI than Chrome mobile - why does Google insist on keeping the search bar at the top of their mobile apps? Makes no sense. I use Firefox on desktop, Safari on mobile, and couldn't care less that my tabs aren't synced or whatever.

Edit: Why You Shouldn’t Use The Gmail App On Your iPhone

Edit: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201320 & https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/set-up-mail-contacts-and-calendar-accounts-ipha0d932e96/ios

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 20, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh? Live Photos back up perfectly fine from what I can tell? I’ve taken 11k pics/videos of my 3yo twins. Don’t tell me everything is ruined and my life is over!!!

Apparently my information is outdated, but that doesn't change the fact that Google destroyed ~3 years of my live photos back in 2016 because I was too cheap to pay $3 a month for iCloud backups. I'm also just not a fan of letting any service compress my photos in any way.

You're probably going to want to buy some sort of iCloud storage for backups, so why not just let iOS handle photos too?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 20, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Ignoring the UX issues I have with Calendar (no week view in portrait, and switching back to day view every time I go to landscape?), is there a way to get it to show other people’s calendars on my corporate Google setup? I do a lot of scheduling with other people and I can’t see how to do that from the native app.

It also takes forever for the system to notice changes to my server-side calendar unless I open Calendar, which as a widget-and-watch user is infuriating.

Isn't the list view close enough to a weekly view? I wish they'd color the dots based on monthly calendar view, but I actually use Fantastical for my personal calendar.

I intentionally keep my professional and personal calendars in separate apps (along with E-mail), so unfortunately I'm no help there - professionally I use Outlook, academically I use Gsuite, and personally I use iOS.

I know a boat load of third party apps support Google calendars like BusyCal, Calendars 5, Fantastical, etc.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 20, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

Ooo. It's by the Reeder guy

Mela is great, but you guys should also check out Pestle as well - it's a little more feature-rich if you're looking to have a shared family recipe book.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Keep it constantly in low power mode?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lordshmee posted:

Nope. Car has built in USB ports. Also I abandoned Apple’s podcasts app many years ago because it’s hot garbage. I even cleared my library and deleted any subscriptions to help prevent any background shenanigans.

I mean, plugging in my phone is not a hardship or anything. It’s just one more thing that used to suck less. Technology seems to just be be on a constant downward slope. I guess it’s good practice for getting old.

On a downward slope? So reactionary.

The problem is you - you're using the same charging methods for smartphones from 2014 or whatever. Your car's USB port probably caps out at 5w when these new iPhones can charge 5-6x faster over USB C and a 30w car adapter. I know your use-case is especially unique, but you're using a device with a much larger, and brighter display that refreshes at 120hz, along with more advanced and power hungry 5G antennas - of course the battery life is going to be affected - they're more advanced phones. If you take the original 5w iPhone charger and try to charge these new phones, you're going to have a bad time - there's a reason why Apple started including a USB C cable with all them.

I'm pretty amazed somebody would want to buy a brand new $1200 phone and turn off all the software-assisted features they paid for so they can have oddly long battery life, though. You might be the only person who thinks these new iPhones are on a "downward slope" or whatever - I think you're just out of the loop with technology.

Charging sucks a lot less on these new phones.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 21, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fantastical, my favorite macOS/iOS calendar app is offering half off their premium membership through the weekend:

https://flexibits.com/

Family accounts are particularly affordable if you have a few nerd friends who would be interesting in something like it. It’s feature-rich, and I really love the natural text entry and menubar quick entry keyboard shortcuts on my laptop.

It also shows upcoming reminders within your calendar, which is pretty nice, along with the ability to create "Calendar Sets" to group and view specific calendars across services.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 25, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Tomorrow's the day I get my first iPhone after using Android my whole smartphone life. I'm probably going to install the Google apps alongside the iOS versions of the apps to see what I like, but is there anything you guys recommend besides patience? I picked up a bunch of cables from Monoprice to replace the ones I still use, plan on picking up a case too. Regardless, I'll most likely drop by here to ask any questions I have, excited to get away from the janky rear end Google experience

Don't load up your homescreen with apps and get into the habit of just swiping down and searching for most functionality, whether it be searching for an app on the app store, entering the location of a local business, opening an app, finding a contact, etc. Many of the apps you download integrate into iOS's search functionality, and you can fine-tune the settings to show or hide specific apps you use more often.

Apple has a "back button" swipe gesture, but it's "per modal", meaning it won't dump you between different apps willy-nilly - it only goes back to each section's natural progression within it's timeline. This can really bother Android users who make the switch, but I find iOS's back gesture more predictable when I use it.

Some apps will abuse notifications and send your marketing BS - I know Android is a little better about this, but unfortunately us iOS users are beholden by the apps themselves - Amazon, for example, doesn't offer any fine-tune notification settings, so if you want package delivery notifications, you'll have to ignore Prime Day marketing notifications and Prime TV bullshit, or turn them off entirely. Personally, I turn off most badges and only keep badges on for messaging-based apps (and likely have them on my homescreen). Another nifty trick is you can swipe an app's notification and add it to a daily summary, or mute it for an hour or for the day.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 8, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Even if you use Google's native apps, it might be worth going into the system settings and adding your google account within the iOS ecosystem, just so your iPhone can easily search and filter that information across the entire OS.

bagmonkey posted:

Thanks for the replies, this all sounds pretty great! I'm planning on bringing over as few apps to my new phone as possible and only adding news ones if I've found an actual need to install them. It's a good chance to break the habit of keeping poo poo installed for once a month usage. Also will definitely dive into the Tips app, I know the Pixel one was surprisingly good and helped me get adjusted to the Android gesture controls (which were not very consistent as GR noted, its an example of one of the small things that led me to decide to switch to iOS)

You should definitely come back after you've gotten used to iOS for a while and let us know what you like/dislike/miss compared to Android.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 8, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I hope Tim Sweeney will finally shut up now. and Spotify finally rolls out Airplay2 and every other API they refused to implement due to their lawsuit with Apple.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If I were to guess, third party app stores will need to be approved by Apple and Apple Pay will likely need to be integrated with it, so it won't be the end of the world.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's just going to be another nightmare for us technologically inclined nerds will have to deal with when our dumb family members install some third party app store that hijacks their phone or some poo poo.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Lol. They could easily make installing apps from third parties annoying with a few pop-ups and checkboxes and stuff and put scary warnings so idiots don't gently caress up their phones. Allowing sideloading is not going to be some doom and gloom end of everything.

At worst if means some apps like the aforementioned meta poo poo will leave the app store proper. At best it means you get access to cool poo poo apple won't approve for whatever reason. I'll finally be able to get rid of my android phone for emulation.

I can't believe people are upset about this. Just leave it off and if Apple doesn't do a good job convincing your parents it's a really really bad idea (they probably will) then you can convince them I guess.

Probably these apps will run in a sandboxed environment where they can't touch any real data or something though.

Maybe I’m being reactionary, but I’m just concerned that companies like Meta will force me into using their App Store so they can track me more instead of staying within iOS’s App Store guidelines and parameters. Yes, I could stop using their services altogether, but I also use the internet and need to access social media accounts to engage in commerce and business, so I’m stuck using fake accounts with as much personal information stripped as possible.

Who knows though, maybe Apple has figured out a way to prevent this from happening.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm pretty sure automatic updates are staggered and scheduled for at night - I never go in and manually update my apps, but there's always a couple dozen updates sitting in the app store to update, but the queue never gets bigger than that if I ignore it and don't manually trigger them myself.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dynamic Island is going to last at least 3 years, maybe 4-5 years or even longer, depending on how and when they introduce it to non-Pro iPhone models once the part gets cheaper down the road or whatever.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ManSedan posted:

Between my HomeKit stuff constantly asking permission to run automations when I enter or exit what was supposed to be a geofence, the battery widget constantly taking over my Smart Stack whenever I listen to one AirPods (as I often do), my recently played tiles being limited to podcasts (in the control center when connecting to headphones), and whatever that fourth weird behavior change was, iOS 16 has been constantly adding more and more minor headaches to my poor user experience.

Is your homekit automation attempting to unlock something? It's a pain in the rear end, but as far as I know, homekit won't let you automate unlocking without asking for permission. You'll have to use the device's app to set up auto-unlock, or there's a silly workaround using another homekit device

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m pretty sure you can use your location to lock a door, you just can’t use it to unlock one. Do you have any Apple Watch? Add a shortcut as a complication to unlock it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The fact that the iOS version of Apple Music doesn’t have crossfade but the Android version does is an embarrassing omission in 2023.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

Did they fix the issue with those that lets complete strangers into your home wifi?

The article says hackers would need access to the hub to crack it…. Which is in your house and not easily accessible to people from outside.

Thieves would probably just break a window anyways. I do like that my Yale/August deadbolt doesn’t even have a key that can be picked - it’s keypad only.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Always fun when Android users switch and end up using all the Google apps on an iPhone. Maybe just stick with Android? I'm one of those weirdos who reduces my personal information on Google services whenever possible, but still use Google apps for certain features (Google Maps saved lists, Chrome on desktop for Gsuite collaboration, etc). There's no way I'm syncing browser history with Google.

I'll never understand why Google still insists on putting their search bars at the top of the goddamn screen for their apps - they're never reachable.

It's worth noting that Safari in iOS has extensions like SponsorBlock and AdGuard.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 19, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Gmail is much much better than the stock mail app. I'm so used to the way it filters out promotions/social media notifications that trying to use the regular mail app is just painful.

I do have Gmail downloaded for my one remaining google email, but I've moved everything over to my own personal domain (It looks more professional), and I have a few different non-Google emails that are nice to be unified, so I use Spark, which offers similar functionality to what you're looking for in Gmail. Plus I really like their native desktop app. It's worth noting that the native Mail app doesn't support Gmail's faster push notifications. Spark does.

Having said that, I'm meticulous about how I manage my e-mail, and 99% of my promotional e-mails get passed to my Archive and automatically marked as read. It is true that Google is better at sorting those kinds of things, I wonder if Apple is hesitant to do something similar because it would require your device to read and analyze your e-mail or something?

When it comes to native iOS apps, I prefer Apple's...

Reminders - Smart lists, shared lists, location-based, siri integration
Notes - smart tagging, smart folders, inline images/videos/slides/docs
Safari - Extensions, reader view, gestures, but I primarily use Firefox on desktop
Apple Music - Airplay 2, live dj albums w/ remix tracklistings, lossless & spatial audio, ~8 million more songs than Spotify
Weather - Used to use Carrot, but Weather is good enough, and I really like the live lockscreen wallpaper).
HomeKit - I am also pretty meticulous about what smart-home devices I purchase so I can have everything easily integrated in within the iPhone's control center - it's a bit of a pain, but my partner refuses to download/install/sign up for any new app or service, so it's a good way to force everything to be as integrated as possible.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 19, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I've been using Apple Music these past few months after getting a free trial, and I have to say it's way worse than Spotify. Navigation sucks, discovery is way worse, but the main thing that's making me want to go back is just how much better remote play is on Spotify - it's so effortless to control music between any devices on the same network, via whatever device happens to be in my hand at that given moment, and it's kind of ridiculous that Apple still hasn't cracked this, save for its awkward and ancient iTunes remote app, or the apple watch remote. Any audio quality benefits seem pretty negligible considering all my apple devices play music via Bluetooth, or sources that don't allow lossless (like a PC).

And then as someone with a Windows PC, I have to use a 3rd party app like Cider, which is cool and great but is very much a work in progress. I'm not holding my breath for the upcoming Apple music windows app to be any good. I kind of want to stick with Apple music if I can, but they're not making it easy for me!

Spark sounds interesting though - although presumably for it to filter your emails, it'd have to read them in a similar way that Gmail does?

Apple has solved this issue - it's Airplay 2. I have 6 Sonos speakers and a 2 Homepod Minis in the house that I can multi-room Airplay 2 to with ease. Spotify has been dragging their feet for over 2 years now for no real reason and could have implemented it by now, and it's one of the reasons I switched, along them dragging their feet on stuff like Shortcuts support and Apple Watch downloads (which still sucks!). It also bugged me that they started bombarding me with podcast content when I have no interest in it.

Spotify certainly has better AI-based discovery tools, but I get plenty of opportunities to discover new music using Apple Music's curated music using Radio channels/DJs. Admittedly, I get way more discovery out of DJ music sets that aren't even available on Spotify than I do my Discover Weekly or New Release Friday - I prefer using Music Harbor to track all my artist's releases and add them to my own playlist every week instead of relying on Spotify's algorithm to tell me what music to listen to, but Apple Music has similar playlists if I need them.

I guess I just find value in discovering music through the DJs/artists I trust, not just an algorithm based on my tastes.

Live DJ sets like this one are seemingly unavailable on Spotify. I also enjoy Apple Music’s track listings for live mixed albums.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 19, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

Apple Music sucks.

Not if you care about the music catalog and audio quality of the content that's being streamed. Apple Music is better. They even pay artists more.

Sorry.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Only way Apple will get me to sub to them is adding, uh... Free Apple news i guess. Or Apple tv Plus.

Apple One is a great value if you're already paying for Spotify Family + iCloud and have any interest in News or TV+. We dumped Spotify Family and saved money overall.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Spotify solved this issue years ago though. The solution being 'you can always control Spotify running on any device on your network, via any other device on your network logged into the same account, through whatever speakers you already own'. That's a much more elegant solution than 'buy a load of expensive new Apple speakers'.

Also, I miss being able to play music on my PC, and controlling it via my phone. But yeah Apple Music truly does suck. If I wanna listen to the radio, I'll put on NTS or something.

They're not Apple speakers lol, any app or device is free to utilize the Airplay 2 spec and allow their apps to take advantage of iOS and MacOS's built-in multi-room functionality. Your use-case seems more niche than your average user dropping $100 on an Ikea Sonos speaker - users have an expectation that Spotify will be fully integrated, and they're not, just because Spotify are big babies. Airplay2 isn't a walled garden at all - anybody with an iOS app can implement it in a matter of days, but Spotify won't, and it makes Spotify's experience worse as a result.

I've considered getting one of these fancy multi-room receivers to hook up some of my older bookshelves and a receiver.

Edit: When it comes to streaming platforms, at the end of the day, content is king, and Apple Music has more. Do I watch things on Netflix for the interface? No. It's so funny that people have brand allegiance to Spotify of all things - I think they've been rather inept at rolling out new features for their platform, and I've been using them before they were even in the US. Was rather annoyed when they go rid of their third party apps platform as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 19, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Not worth it

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

see also: HomeKit devices in control center. It sucks they keep moving around.

Yeah, I think it's more of an annoyance more than anything, but understand their thought process - they're trying to display the most often used items by "adapting" the interface to the user's preferences.

From a usability perspective, moving around objects is bad for a user's muscle memory, so it can be pretty annoying.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

Hello fellow iPhone users I have finally joined your ranks please send me your hottest protips like what's my best option for freeing my password vault from Google's deathgrips?

Do you need platform/browser agnosticism with your passwords? Are you willing to spend money? 1Password is the gold standard, works on every browser, platform, and device out there, and is quick to adopt OS-specific APIs and new technologies like passkeys. It has an annual fee, which rubs people the wrong way, but they're one of the few companies actually doing external audits with little to no issues with the security with their vaults. I have mine setup with a YubiKey and require a 2fa code using my Keychain to acces my vault on any new device. I also let 1Password auto-generate my password and get into the habit of creating a login with 1Password before signing up for a service.

I've been using it for 5 years now after dabbling with free options, and found myself more than happy paying for it - they integrate well with Touch ID on my MacBook, and I love that I can unlock my vault with my Apple Watch as well. They're also really good about adding vault templates - I use it to store everything - personal documents, receipts, router logins, samba share info, tax records, and more. I used to recommend LastPass to friends, but they're currently dealing with a huge securiy breach right now, which is troubling

There's a great rundown of every password manager over on Reddit that's worth a read.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 29, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nope. I use night shift all the time but True Tone just turns my screen a warm pee color whenever it’s on. It’s really gross.

The world is shaded in piss from the sun.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm looking into Apple Pay things. I'm in Belgium. The drat app lists German banks only. The gently caress, Apple?!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206637

I actively avoid stores that don't accept Apple Pay nowadays. Boo Kroger, Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. Yay Meijer, Target, and Ace Hardware.

Ironically enough, I use the Meijer and Target mobile apps so much for picking up orders and "Shop N Scan" that they could probably get away with their own stupid version of "Walmart Pay" or "Kroger Pay" or whatever, but they're actually companies that are consumer friendly and attempt to make their buying experience as frictionless as possible, which is nice.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 3, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are there any apps that can get access to non-Homekit smart home stuff (bulbs and plugs, maybe even cameras too but that seems unlikely) that has a modern style widget that I can put on my homescreen? I exclusively have Tapo (TP-Link) stuff in my house but their widget is still the only pre-iOS 15 or whatever one that has to live at the very bottom of the side-widget screen which is a bit inconvenient.

There's an app called Watt that I can use for more detailed Shortcuts accessing my Tapo devices but it doesn't seem to have a widget.

Ah the joys of modern tech hardware - what's most important is the software support a few years down the road :sigh:

I think you might be SOL - what are the chances TP Link offers third party API access to their hardware? If they were HomeKit compatible, you could easily download a third party homekit app that adds widgets for homekit gear, but otherwise you're kinda stuck depending on the hardware manufacturer. I've got a combo of Wemo, Aqara, Ikea, and Vocolinc homekit smart plugs (sometimes vendor lock in isn't necessarily a good thing) and none of them have iOS 16 style widgets. In fact, none of my smarthome's first party apps offer iOS 16 widgets - not Ecobee, Hue, Eufy, Lutron, Ikea, August, or Level.

I have too much smarthome gear. All HomeKit compatible, though. If you're smart about it, you can find some pretty good homekit deals - A 4-pack of smart plugs was $30. I've been pretty committed to buying HomeKit gear because it doesn't force my partner to download/install/sign up for any new apps, you can control them from the control center, and the Siri integration.

Edit: Any smarthome nerds ready for even more Hubs? SwitchBot just announced a Matter Hub with HomeKit integration, which should allow users to integrate all non-HomeKit Matter gear into HomeKit. While this isn't really beneficial for you now, I definitely see a future where a nicely integrated hub with slick software (and widgets support!) will finally get us to a point where vendors aren't locking us into their smart-home ecosystem.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

ah, cool. i just use the switches that are on my stuff or on my walls or w/e to turn things on and off, but buying stuff from like 20 different home automation brands with interesting names seems like something to consider for the future. thanks :)

The problem with IoT/SmartHome technology is that every manufacturer wants to lock you into their ecosystem and hardware. Since I mostly try and integrate my stuff into HomeKit and HomeAssistant, I can pick and choose the hardware I want from any manufacturer and not have to worry too much about whether or not they communicate with each other instead of committing to one app and being forced to buy only their hardware. Having a ton of different third party apps is pretty annoying, but HomeKit does automatic firmware updates for devices, which is nice. Google Home technically integrates more hardware, but then you're stuck with Google's smarthome ecosystem, which is still missing lots of functionality, especially if you're into automating stuff.

Most of our Hue lights are automated on a schedule or utilize motion sensors or door/window sensors to turn on and off. Our window sensors will turn off my AC through my EcoBee when a window is opened in the summer, and even send me a notification if one is triggered one nobody is home. I even have random lights trigger when we aren't home to simulate that somebody is home. I mostly buy SmartHome tech that doesn't require a monthly fee and doesn't have somebody else monitoring my poo poo.

Resdfru posted:

I'm not sure if this would work for you but you can set them up in Google Home then use this method from reddit to add a shortcut that does stuff. It only would work if you want to turn on specific devices rather than choose from a list. I dont know if Google Home has a widget of its own yet.

https://www.tapo.com/us/faq/73/
https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/pvczus/does_google_home_have_widget_for_iphone/

This is a nice workaround! I'm still annoyed at how many apps still don't have ANY Shortcuts support for their apps. I'm looking at you, Spotify.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 4, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.withings.com/us/en/u-scan

The thing you didn't know you needed announced at CES: Piss testing on your iPhone

Still waiting for an iPhone compatible toilet camera.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'd started to set up a HomeBridge server on a spare Pi but to access it when outside of the wifi range I'd need to buy a modern-ish Apple TV which I was hoping to avoid. As with the above, I'm a cheapskate (or, well, had just recently moved in with my partner so wanted to save costs where possible)!

You can regularly find HomePod Minis for $60-$80 that work as a HomeKit Matter hub. They make decent multi-room speakers, too.

Resdfru posted:

My entire house is Google Home and tbh I very rarely use the home app or widgets (I'm on android still and subbed to this thread cause I was gonna be moving to ios soon). I usually just say OK Google and say a routine I've created 'turn on upstairs lights' or specific devices. I have a home hub in the central location or I use my phone for OK Google when I'm not near it. (can I use OK Google on ios?)

If you're not opposed to having a spy smart speaker and don't already have one, google home minis can get cheap or free in some sales

Lol, you're probably going to hate iOS. There are ways to add OK Google, but using workarounds or you'll have to open the Google Home app to issue a command. Some of your smarthome gear might be Homekit compatible - maybe you'll be able to integrate some of it into Siri and the Home app's convenient control center area.

I'll never be a fan of putting microphones all over my house when I can just be more selective with the products I purchase so I can natively just use Siri from my Watch and iPhone, which are literally always with me. We have a Google Home Hub that we got for free, I use it as a picture frame with the microphone off at all times. I consider myself platform agnostic, so I'm still familiar with Google's ecosystem, but I don't think it adds any benefit for my use-case, and they were missing a lot of features like sensor support until recently.

Y'all shouldn't be okay with putting a bunch of microphones in your house from a company that freely hands over your personal data to the police without a warrant. Amazon does it, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Resdfru posted:

good to know about issues with google on iOS. I should probably trial it out before getting my wife to move to ios too. I think its inevitable that we will though, my son is coming up on getting-a-phone age and I think the parental controls on iOS are heads and shoulders above Android so at some point I'm gonna have to go for it

Definitely come back here when you get your hands on an iPhone and have more questions!