Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's another thing no SIM card tray will do...you can go straight from the phone box to the case without having to get fingerprints on it just to take the tray out.

That's cool. I'd rather have a SIM card slot for ease of changing carriers especially if traveling but I'm glad Apple is catering to the "I never actually want to touch my phone" crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
No case or screen protector has ever sullied the beauty of my coral iPhone XR, which is nearing the end of its fourth year of duty.

Someone mentioned resale value being important, and yeah, if that's true for you, I definitely do not recommend my approach. The screen is covered in tons of small scratches that are only visible when it's off, but they are there, no doubt. The metal band around the outside has quite a few random small nick and scratches from drops, too. Okay, okay, I finally dropped it on the kitchen floor earlier this year and gave the back glass a big spiderweb crack, but it's still in one piece, smooth to the touch, functional, and looks kinda cool tbqh.

Still, it survived fine for over three years caseless with zero substantial damage despite several drops and me just generally not caring. The battery has been the weak point and the reason I'm upgrading to a 14.

I've never resold a phone in my life, so whatever. Live free. :911:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

its mind boggling that they still haven't added at least an optional shortcut to settings in the Control Center shortcuts. I probably enter Settings at least once a day.

why

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
more options are generally a good thing but lol that settings is apparently the app you need to access constantly. like i asked, why? what you doin' in there, bud?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

MarcusSA posted:

This is a common theme with the settings app.

When I was trying to remove the search button from the Home Screen typing search didn’t come up with it which is dumb because it’s actually a toggle for search on the Home Screen

Yep, Settings is such a mess. When I got my new phone I was going through everything, there are just so many oddities in the organization.

Can anyone explain why the setting to toggle on/off Live Text (allows you to copy text directly from an image) is in General > Language & Region? An area mostly used to set date formats and preferred units?

Can't find the toggle because it's in a weird place? Don't worry, type "Live Text", the precise name of the toggle, into the search box in the Settings app and you'll get... absolutely nothing! Thanks, Apple!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
My iPhone 14 apparently shut itself off for several hours and then turned back on while sitting on the charger last night.

I had no indication except for when I first picked it up in the morning and it threw up the "iPhone requires your passcode when it restarts" message or whatever. Checking the battery log in the app shows that it turned off at 2AM and then just randomly came back at 5AM. I go to bed at midnight so it definitely wasn't like it crashed as a direct result of any app being actively used. It also wasn't the iOS update, I suspected that when someone posted about the new version but nope. Still on 16.0.2.

I know a couple of people have already posted about something like this happening to them, fortunately I don't use the phone as an alarm or whatever so it didn't cause any problems but uh.. what? I've never had this happen in the billion years I've used iphones so I kinda feel like this doesn't bode well.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
no there isn't but it's not like it sets up a filter to auto-delete any messages, it's just to help apple's algorithms to detect spammers in the future. you'll be fine don't worry about it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use Drafts and if I pin a Draft it appears as a Live Notification on the lockscreen.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The poster above mentioned how with Background App Refresh off, their podcast app wouldn't have preloaded new episodes in the background, so saying there's "no benefit" is clearly not true.

I say this as a person who has Background App Refresh totally off as well. It's not that you're using it wrong or anything for yourself, but acting like just blanket disabling major features is good advice for every new user to the platform is also kinda weird. For some, there are benefits. For others, like us, there are none.

Which, btw, is kinda why I don't get why people come in here and are like "hey got my first iPhone so what are some absolute must-dos" or whatever. Just use it for a while and figure out what works for you. Everyone's use case is different.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

bagmonkey posted:

My dude, what is the point of having a community where you can discuss stuff if you can't ask people about poo poo they've done to make the experience better? There are a bunch of things people have pointed me toward since I mentioned I was switching and I'm glad I've listened so far. But yeah, sure, don't get others perspectives on how to do stuff. Just like, use it and don't ask questions I guess?

Sure, that was just my two cents regarding situations where the question is too broad (which is subjective in itself, i know)...it's gonna lead to a bunch of suggestions, often totally subjective, without really knowing how different people use their phones.

...Which then leads to someone calling people Apple fanboys because they actually leave on a setting that he recommends everyone turning off, which is what I was replying to.

It's totally fine to be like "here's what I do and why" but sometimes a suggestion is just like "do this, it will absolutely improve things" like gospel truth, and especially for someone kramering into the thread asking "got phone what do now," it feels like they might not be examining the nuances of the advice or the perspective of the person giving it, but to each their own.

Asking what password manager to use or w/e makes more sense, as you did.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Corb3t posted:

Wemo, Aqara, Ikea, and Vocolinc
Ecobee, Hue, Eufy, Lutron, Ikea, August, or Level.

aside from Ikea and I guess... Hue?... lol what the gently caress is any of this stuff, OP

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
ah, cool. i just use the switches that are on my stuff or on my walls or w/e to turn things on and off, but buying stuff from like 20 different home automation brands with interesting names seems like something to consider for the future. thanks :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i bought the 14 because i don't care, op

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS sucks at managing the nebulous "System Data", it contains various caches that are supposed to flush when space is needed but I was unable to update to iOS 16 on my XR last fall because it had ballooned to some ridiculous size. I know for a fact Spotify's cache is included in that total because it's one of the few apps that had a manual "clear cache" option which instantly would yank back like 10GB of space from System Data. But good luck, OP, probably just gotta restore as new if you want that space (temporarily) back. Rather than do that, I just bought a 14, "thanks Apple."

(My system data is already over 26GB on this phone that's, what, not even six months old?)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Inner Light posted:

Am I an idiot, I think the forums user who quoted the “edge case” had a trolling ironic response to the goon who wished to capitalize the first name of his romantic partner. I don’t think he was literally calling it an edge case. It was a play on calling everything edge cases

i'm not sure maybe we should dissect the post further to find out

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
over 2 gigs for an update that adds 21 new emoji...apple has done it again!!!!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
16.4 reset my safari new tab screen to show everything (the useful "privacy report" section, etc.), but at least those were easily toggled off again. But it also has content from apps showing up in spotlight even though the toggle for them in settings remained set to off. flipping the switch on/off again, along with multiple restarts hasn't fixed the issue so i guess i get to look forwarded to tons of garbage polluting my search when i pretty much use it as an app launcher. :(

edit: well it seems in the time it took me to type up my extreme ragepost, it's no longer showing extraneous results, so i guess i had to give it more time to rebuild destroy the search index

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 28, 2023

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
holy poo poo guys the iphone 13 is out in finland

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't see it on my device.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

SlowBloke posted:

On my new 14 it's a 30% battery charge saving per day.

hello OP how did you arrive at this statistic thank you and god bless

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use Windex (or its off-brand equivalent) to clean every digital screen I own. Works 4 me, OP.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i don't know what's in windex nor do i care to find out, all i can say is i spray the blue stuff on there and it cleans the screen and it has worked for years

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

There's coating on the screen? How do I know if it's gone?

I don't use screen protectors because they add glare and mess with touch sensitivity but I wipe my phone down with a lens wipe almost once a day.

If you don't notice it either way, does it even matter? Goons are the only ones I see ever mention anything about the oleophobic coating or whatever. It's a piece of dang glass.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i hate when my phone gets lazy and i keep having to shake, prod, and poke the fucker to get it to do anything :mad:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
stop being so healthy, dumbass

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
they did op, sorry. you have 72 hours to buy a new iphone. you don't wanna find out what happens after that.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Another vote for Airalo here. Just got home about 24 hours ago from a trip where I used it in two different countries, in fact.

One cool thing is that even after an eSIM expires with them, if you intend to go back to wherever it was valid for, you can just leave it on your phone (turned off, of course) and then when it's time to travel again, just go back into their app and top it up, no need to set up/install the eSIM again. Convenient for me as I'm usually traveling to the same countries to visit family every six months or so.

I felt a certain disgusting goony smugness as the plane was starting its final descent for my home country and everyone in the row next to me was popping out their SIM trays to swap 'em out. :smug:

For what it's worth, though, I still dunno why Apple ditched the tray for America only. It's not like anything is gained right now by freeing up that space if the design for every other country still has to leave space for the physical tray. I guess to force compliance/adoption but still, a bit weird.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Weedle posted:

the galaxy z flip does look very nice, especially the two-tone ones with the black rails. i wouldn't buy one but if someone gave one to me i'd use it until it broke

that phone looks stupid and ugly op, i think you meant to link to a good-looking phone or something

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's so meaningless anyway. My non-pro 14 dropped to 92% within a few months and then sat there for over half the year, then within the last two weeks dropped to 91% and checking now it's 90%. Oh no. No change in usage the entire time and I don't really notice a difference anyway.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Fireside Nut posted:

The wireless charger just sits on my bedside table so I don’t generally use it other than to charge overnight, but, you’re right, maybe it is time to live it up haha

Just keep the old charger, OP. If it works, it works. Slow charging overnight is healthier for the battery anyway. I have a Magsafe charger for my desk but still use the same old Ikea Qi charger I've had for 7 billion years on the bedstand.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I sleep in a big bed with my wife. Where we play our Nintendo ("Wintendo") Switches. HTH, OP.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Context posted:

When you’re selecting colors for the clock in standby, the selector scrolls in two dimensions even though it’s just a horizontal list. It’s very half-baked.

On my phone at least, the alphabetic selector dial on the right side of the screen is totally unusable when trying to choose a city for the world clock. If you go to the photo standby screen, hold it down, press the + in the upper left corner, you get the "My Albums" page. You can for some reason choose "New Album..." which pops up a half-covered input box to name the album, but no keyboard appears.

Both pretty minor things, but when something is so threadbare features-wise it's weird that they left in UI bugs that I discovered just while dicking around for a few minutes.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

ManSedan posted:

Apple Music is fine and the internet just has brain worms from Spotify spending a decade convincing people the only thing that ever matters is a non stop deluge of “new” music to discover.

ur right op, sure sucks to discover new things that you like. definitely these people are the ones with brain worms.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
After updating to 17.0.1, the widget screen in standby mode reset to the default widgets for me. Good job Apple.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I got my XR's camera module replaced at Da Froot Stand when it was still under warranty. Apple definitely does not just do whole device swaps if it's a repairable component these days. No idea why they left that dude's lens cracked or whatever but yeah.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
*Breaks poo poo 12 times*

"Guess I'm just lucky"

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Holy hell why does iOS keep undoing the changes I make to StandBy? All I want is the clock and the calendar but it keeps bringing all the other widgets back.

For me it has happened after updating to both 17.0.1 and then 17.0.2. I know small quick point releases are less likely as we get further away from the release window, but when I upgraded to 17.0.2 and saw the Cupertino clock after setting everything up again after 17.0.1, I just went to settings and turned it off for good. It's a so-so feature with a bad implementation, why torture myself?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol @ americans freaking out over a single mandatory test alert. try living in a country that is both earthquake-prone and at risk of military invasion, which means at least two test alerts per year (earthquake and air raid). i've known the settings to opt-out of all the emergency/governmental/test alerts are useless for years, suckers.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Dogen posted:

What country is that, maybe we are in the market for some military adventurism

Taiwan, so believe me, I'm hoping America is more than willing to jump into the fight :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Rageaholic posted:

So on 17, when I'd use Standby and would get a notification, it would show the app name and then a description of the notification underneath. I'm using Standby right now on 17.1 and it's showing the app name and then the word "Notification" underneath. What gives? Can I change that back to how it behaved on 17?

e: I fixed it. Show Preview On Tap Only was turned on. Idk if 17.1 turned that on but I definitely didn't have that on before.

Every 17.x update has totally reset the Standby options for me including making the wonderful Cupertino clock come back. It's a buggy feature, OP.