Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

101 posted:

Caudabe Sheath 👌🏻

Caudabe haver here and yeah it's expensive but it has a unique texture to it that feels great. It's plastic that feels like suede almost. Really easy to grip but doesn't get stuck in your pocket at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had a product red leather case on my XS. Sold the phone and case to my brother when I got my 12 and the red is now basically black.

They do patina nicely with oil from your skin but they scratch easily and it doesn't heal well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I had the Caudabe Sheath for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I always worried it'd break the phone somehow trying to get it out. It seems to be a very hard plastic.

Ive had the Sheath and the Sheath Magsafe on my 12 and i have found it maybe a little loose fitting on the long-sides, if anything. I have taken it out of the case a few times to clean etc and never had a problem.

if you apply pressure to the case with a finger nail its squishy, just not rubbery.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the iPhone Thread: your phone will get hot and battery life suck right after updating to iOS 16.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think generally you wanna spend around $20USD min. on a case to get something that fits well, uses quality materials and actually provides protection.

some people get weird about having a bottom lip on the case or not, but besides that it doesnt really matter. I see value in having some thread favorite picks as starting points though since case chat comes up about as frequent as airpods chat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Wouldn’t that polycarbonate mid layer not be as shock resistant as something like TPU/silicone that will deform slightly to absorb a drop instead of passing it straight through?

yeah any hard polycarbonate case is a cosmetic thing only. they never protect well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was ready to continue my two yearly cycle and go for the 14 pro from a 12 but nah. My s3 watch sucks so I replaced that with the new SE and I'll get the 15 pro next year with usbc and touchID in the screen/lock button and 165hz display and optical zoom.

On a more serious note it seems like the chip shortage might have had something to do with the only incremental performance upgrades this year?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

xzzy posted:

The satellite communication is a pretty big new feature. But it's revision one so not worth rushing for a new phone right now. But one or two more iterations (such as being able to send texts to family, even if they're pre-registered) it hopefully turns into a really useful feature.

But yeah, phone development has slowed way down. For day to day they're feature complete and have been for a while. Nothing wrong with that, if people buy fewer phones that's better for the planet.

I'm using it as an opportunity to upgrade my watch as mentioned and my iPad. I still have the OG air stuck on iOS 12 something so it's time. I'll go a mini though, I think.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

How does the battery widget decide what device to show? It’s a shame it doesn’t cycle through everything connected or let you swipe through.

I have one that has 4 spots and it depends what you have connected? Phone watch and headphones all show up depending what's on and in range

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to set per app settings to not use cellular data?

Settings, all the apps are at the bottom of the main page, each one can enable/disable Siri, mobile data and other stuff

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Round edges can go gently caress themselves and so can anyone who thinks they're good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

had my iphone 12 battery replaced by Apple and was interesting to see it was at 82% capacity after 729 cycles according to their diagnostic thing. I thought the general consensus was 1000 cycles before its toast?

They even tried to tell me that im likely only having problems due to software and should factory reset my device if battery life doesnt improve. This was after I mentioned that I work for a company that manages 40,000 devices (most of them Apple) for state organisations and regularly see battery complaints once they hit 83% or less.

like sheesh im paying for the battery replacement. just shut up and swap it, dont try and tell me its 'software' when I use exactly 5 apps on my phone. Or perhaps make certification for the app store include 'doesnt turbo gently caress the battery' perhaps?

at least they didnt tell me to force quit apps to improve battery life too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

The 1000 cycle thing is anecdotal. They made the usual suggestions but yeah if you're eligible and paying for a battery swap they should just do it. Honestly, I would just go to an Apple Store and have them run the diagnostics on it.

Just to be clear they were fine swapping it and I was fine paying for it (I booked the appointment because my battery was bad) but don't try to tell me it's the fault of "apps gone wild" and not the dirty secret of all lithium batteries (that they degrade). Admitting to the latter still leaves apple pretty blameless and is actually true whereas the former is some "you're holding it wrong" type poo poo.

I got this phone in November 2020. Totally reasonable that the battery needs to be replaced. I was going to do it when I give this 12 to my mum when I get a 15 this year, but it was annoying enough that I did it a few months early.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spotify running ads before/after podcasts when i pay for loving spotify made me never listen to another podcast again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spotify not having hifi/lossless because everyone beat them to the punch without charging for it is pretty funny.

but the playlist functionality cant really be beat.

Spotify Connect is just as good as Airplay 2 and you can usually set up dummy airplay targets with an Rpi or similar.

What all music services need is a party mode that allows you to add songs to the queue without giving everyone the control to skip songs. too many times Im at parties and people either gently caress up queuing the song or deliberately just jam their own on then and there and its such an easy thing to solve.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 7, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I swore off apple maps when I gave Siri a specific street address for my friends house and it repeatedly kept giving me the nearby cinema as the result despite none of the street names, numbers or words matching at all.

I do not see why I'd ever bother again when google maps works as well as it does, even when using siri for voice commands on carplay.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

phosdex posted:

idk if its my phone, or google maps, or my car, but sometimes in my miata google maps is just blank. Cannot do anything with it at all, but Apple Maps will work fine.

mine has been doing this too. also not auto playing spotify when it connects.

CarPlay is somehow getting progressively worse without any discernable software updates to explain it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corb3t posted:

Google has a history of handing over users personal data to police without a warrant, which is something that shouldn’t be encouraged whenever possible, especially when it’s some of my most personal data out there.

Also, I realized why I hate most non-iOS designed apps, and Android in general - bottom navigation behavior and remembering your last prior interaction. One of my biggest pet peeves with apps like Instagram and Twitter is when they reload a screen and throw me back to the top.

Bottom navigation Behavior

I get what you're saying but if im committing a crime I am not punching in the address of the victim/drug deal into the widely-known-to-not-respect-privacy maps app.

unless using GPS to find local bars and restaurants and go on camping trips is illegal i dont give a poo poo if google is handing info over to the cops.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I’m doing anything illegal, either, but considering we are living in a era where data used to get trans care or an abortion is being weaponized, I just don’t feel comfortable with a company like Google having any geolocation data from me, unless absolutely necessary.

I agree with you, and I send my condolences that you live in the US. But we dont have those problems here and Im not risking being led 30min in the wrong direction by Apple Maps again or the only crime I'll be committing is murdering the Apple Maps team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Apparently I have greasy ear holes and the Airpod Pros won't stay in my ears. I used the medium ones and switched to large and they're uncomfortable. They will wiggle out probably after about 10 minutes of use. I had Airpod 1st gens and those stayed in my ear just fine. Are there better ear tips for the Airpod Pros?

Try Comply brand foam tips. There's others but I know Comply make decent quality ones (I have them for my pioneer ANC lightning headphones which will soon be obsolete)