Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Yes, that's what I've been doing. But the issue is with iOS' cut out feature that it doesn't automatically save things with a transparent background but a white one. People were running into the issue in the previous iPhone thread when they were posting pictures of their pets, and someone listed a quick fix which I can't find.

It’s not Apple, it’s that places like WhatsApp, Discord and Imgur compress the image and remove transparency.

The fix was to upload it to someplace like Dropbox that doesn’t mess with the images.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

On every other leather case I’ve tried the buttons are mushy as poo poo, no one seems to make nice metal buttons to go with the leather cases so it’s Apple cases for life.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

lmao I still remember when people were throwing an absolute poo poo fit over the tiny 1mm ring around the 6 camera and how it ruined the phone because it could no longer sit flat on a table.

the horror

the horror

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Dave posted:

Honestly I think it’s wild to think the island would only be around for a year, or that the tech that would replace it is easily available. Really temper your expectations for the 15.

Is there a precedent at all of Apple publicly releasing something that third party devs can hook into and killing it after a year?

The only thing that fits that bill somewhat would be the MacBook touchbar?

3D Touch was only around for like 3 years at most

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Brave was doing some shady stuff with their BAT tokens where they said they were giving the money to sites and creators but it was an opt-out (opt-in?) system where they earned money on people’s behalf whether they wanted to or not. They also had an interesting “bug” where they “accidentally” injected their own affiliate code when someone signed up for the Binance crypto exchange.

As far as the browser tech itself it seems perfectly fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does anyone remember the U2 iPod lmao.

The HP iPod was one of the biggest coups Apple ever pulled.

Apple got: iTunes installed as the default music player, for millions of PCs from the largest consumer PC manufacturer on the planet leading to a total dominance in music sales and further cementing themselves as the premier portable music player

HP got: an iPod that had “HP” engraved on the back. Also, since these were officially HP products Apple did not warranty or repair them. HP was also forbidden from making their own MP3 player for two years.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 19, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can’t believe how nice an always on screen is for glancing at the time and notifications. I’m sort of angry apple held out so long on this. Was there a legit reason, or just the usual funneling of features via a blood drip to satisfy quarterly demands?

AOD, for Apple anyways, required a display that can drop to 1hz to be able to hit the battery life they want in the battery size they have. They only put that display in the 13 Pro, and even then it o it dropped to 10hz.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have like one too many Lightning accessories to wanna switch right now :( better in the long run I guess though.

Side question: maybe I’m not going about this the right way since the Focus feature is more about disabling notifications from apps, but is there a way to have certain apps only be allowed to send notifications when the Work focus is on? I only want to get notifications from my work apps from 9 to 5 but since I have them disabled when in a non-focus state, they’re not showing up as options for “allowed” apps.

Basically all I want from the work focus is my normal-rear end phone set up, but with these two apps given permission to bother me.

How are they "disabled" when not in work hours? Do you have like a Home focus mode or something?

For my Outlook and Teams apps they each have their own "Work Hours" mode in the settings that disable all notifications except during work hours. I then have a Work focus mode that allows those apps and blocks most everything else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

iOS 16 just changed the wording from "No Signal" to "SOS" when you drop out of cell range but might be able to roam on another network for emergency calls. It has nothing to do with satellites.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 12, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I mean, phones have really matured and it's been years since I think I've been "wowed" by whatever new feature the iPhone rolls out.

I will say that once you really get involved into the Apple ecosystem and have things like an Apple Watch or Airpods, that's when things really start to get interesting. An iPhone by itself isn't that much different than most flagship Android phones but an iPhone at the center of a whole cohesive ecosystem is what makes it really hard to switch away.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

El Chingon posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the usefulness of the lightning port.

It makes more sense when you understand that lighting was released two years before USB-C. They had to ditch the 30-pin for a smaller connector and they weren’t just gonna swap to USB-C so soon after.

They designed Lightning with a useful life of at least a decade and we’re just now winding down from that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Turning it down all the way is called “mute” and it’s usually a dedicated button

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have been owned

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Creature posted:

I’ve been using my personalised Apple Music station more often in recent months. It’s mostly good and gives me music I want to listen to.

But when I listen to (for example) the Triple J Hottest 100 playlists from 1998-2004, Apple Music decides that the artists which were most popular during that period are my ‘favourites’, and they end up in rotation on my station or in my Favourites playlist week after week until it finally learns that when I hit ‘suggest less like this’ I actually mean it.

Basically, I wish there was an option to play music without it contributing to the algorithm. Like an incognito mode or something. When I get the urge to relive my youth it doesn’t mean that I want to hear Silverchair and Grinspoon all day every day from then on. 😓

Same. I listen to lofi beats when I am doing school work a few times a week but I can't listen to it on Apple Music because if I do then it thinks I want to listen to that all the time. That's just focus music Apple, not weekend yard work music!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I got a new iPhone 14 Pro Mac and I’m having a weird problem. Specifically, when I try to log in to Google accounts for calendaring or contacts, the web view just sits there trying and trying after I enter my username.

I’ve tried it on 2 wifis and cell network, and for both my personal and work (Okta-backed) accounts. Have also tried restarting the phone. OS is up to date (16.1). Tried deleting the accounts and adding them back fresh, also.

I’ve only had the damned thing for like 4 days now, so I don’t know how I could have broken it. Anyone have ideas?

Did you download any adblockers or anything on your phone? That’s usually where I look first for any funkiness like that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Emergency SOS (the satellite thing in iPhone 14) just went live

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/11/emergency-sos-via-satellite-available-today-on-iphone-14-lineup/

They apparently have a demo in the app if you wanna play around with it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

Fine print is fun. "The service will be included for free for two years starting at the time of activation of a new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.4"

Which I'll be fine paying for at some point, I head into the mountains a lot and it'd be nice to not have to lug a dedicated satellite SOS device (with its own subscription fee) if the Apple solution proves reliable. But this makes it clear to me this is just the public beta.

Hopefully they add the ability to send pre-configured "everything's ok" messages to your emergency contact as that's a standard feature for this kind of product. Adding your location to 'find my' indicates they're already thinking about that stuff.

They pretty clearly mentioned the 2 years free service in the keynote. This is more similar to a PLB and not an inReach. There’s no two-way texting with family although they can do Find My. If you do have to call emergency services your emergency contact gets notified as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a way to allow Outlook mail notifications while I'm in my work focus, but not allow them when I'm in NO focus (anytime outside work hours). It seems I can only add apps to the allowed/block list if I'm actually IN a focus, rather than not being in any focus.

The outlook app has its own quiet hours setting. Set your quiet hours for whenever you’re not at work and allow the app in Work focus.

Click your face/profile then click the alarm clock icon in the upper right

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Any tips or tricks for switching? How do I live without a dedicated back and app switching button? They don't have touchid anymore right? They ever gonna bring it back? I've gotten so used to my in-screen fingerprint scanner, really gonna miss it.

It’s all swipe gestures. If you want to go back, swipe back. If you want to switch apps either swipe left/right on the home bar or swipe up and get the app cards. It’s very intuitive once you get used to the gestures.

I don’t have answers to your other questions but I will say that Apples strong points are it’s deep integration with other Apple services so I would recommend at least trying a clean start on Apple app (mail, maps, safari, etc) and see how you like it before switching over to Google apps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I thought I read somewhere that automatic iOS updates wait X weeks after release before it will possibly update. And even then I thought it was done in waves across multiple weeks to avoid 6 billion phones from all updating at the same time.

It sometimes waits a few days but I’ve always gotten an update within a week of release, nearly always the day of or day after.

It definitely does not wait multiple weeks

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My phone and watch are charged on my nightstand so those have their own charger.

The kid's iPads and a couple other various devices that take Lightning, USB-C and micro-USB are charged in the office. I have a 5 port USB-A charger and then a handful of these short multi-type charging cables.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGSVJS1

They don't support fast charging but since these devices are typically plugged in overnight it doesn't matter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

My tip for new iPhone users is to turn off Background App Refresh. It doesn’t seem to make any discernible difference in app performance but it does use more battery when enabled.

My tip is don’t do this, you don’t need to janitor your phone. Just use it like a normal person.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

how is it that apple won't let you convert a "live" photo into a static photo? you can turn off live but that just makes it so it's not animated.

i took a buncha photos on my trip and i guess i had live turned on but i just ignored it cause i assumed i could just save one photo and convert it to a jpeg or heic but there's no option to do so.

Click the three dots on the top right of the photo and choose Duplicate. You’ll get an option to make a copy as a still photo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

and not be a typical Apple fanboy that refuses to learn how their device works.

What the hell does this mean lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It used to ask permission on the first paste attempt and the trust the app after that, setting to allow.

Something changed in the recent iOS update and that trust gets broken and the app has to ask permission over and over. Apple confirmed this was unintended behavior and pushed a fix out but I still see it pop up occasionally

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Buddy, they write those articles after every single iOS release. When Apple sells hundreds of millions of phones, even if a very very small percent of phones have issues that’s still hundreds of thousands of people.

Is there a particular reason you are refusing to even try to do a restore?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Does anybody actually like giving voice commands? This far into the game and I still feel like a dorkus who can't think what kind of phrasing to use until I'm halfway into a stammering unparseable command that I could have given in 1/10 the time by typing.

"Hey Siri tell everyone food's here" that just does not seem natural in real life no matter how much star trek I've seen

You can pretty much talk conversationally to most smart speakers now. I think most people and hung up on thinking of the right phrase to say when you can usually just say what you would normally to a person.

“Hey siri can you let everyone else know that the food is here?” would work just fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Does it really not have Ethernet?

Why would it need Ethernet? It plays music.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have a CarPlay question that I can't seem to find the answer to, if there is one. How do I customize the CarPlay Dashboard, or can you at all?

Here's my dashboard

Maps (or whatever map app you use) being the big window is how it's supposed to be, and that's fine.
I'm particularly wondering about the two on the right. I'm fine with the music app being there but what about that search? It seems to bring up the search function for my driving app, so if I'm running Waze, it brings up Waze search. Is there a way to make it show, for example, my calendar, or are there sports apps that are CarPlay compatible and can show scores? Is there a way to move the positions of those two windows so the music app could be on the top instead?

I'm pretty sure that upper right window is going to always be associated with whatever mapping app you're using. For example, on Apple Maps it shows the main navigation on the left and the upper right shows next turn information.
The bottom right, for me, shows audio and any upcoming calendar appointments depending on how soon they are.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The official Apple one is the best lightning to 3.5mm adapter and its $9

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

I've got a 6 that has a battery that lasts for about an hour now so I'm ready for an upgrade. I haven't kept up with any of the recent models or reviews, does anyone in this thread have a suggestion on what model I should look at? I obviously don't care about having the latest so if there's a model that's 1/2 generations behind but super reliable and a lot cheaper I'd go for that. Appreciate any advice!

The mini is a niche product and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants a regular-rear end phone. Same with SE honestly.

I would go 11 or 12 if you're OK with that price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

How does the mini compare to the 6 I use now? I don’t imagine I want a phone much bigger. My wife has a bigger one and it seems massive to me.

The mini is smaller but has a larger screen since it's edge to edge.
The 11 and up are larger than the 6 but smaller than the 6 plus, somewhere in between. The viewable screen are is much larger than the 6.
The SE is the same form factor as the 6 with newer guts

Here's a handy size comparison
https://phonesized.com/compare/#473,1863,1975,1305,474

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What's the best way to get all of the photos (a lot of them) from my iphone onto my windows computer?
I try to drag and drop but inevitably hit some kind of glitch that stops the transfer
and I am unable to pick up where I left off as seemingly random photos were transferred and apple insists on arbitrarily sorting things into random folders?
There are some apps that do this?

Using the Photos app on Windows and importing them is how you’re supposed to do this. Do not drag and drop photos from the phone.

You don’t have to send them to the cloud either.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, all the stories about “stalker using AirTags to track someone” boil down to “I found out my ex was stalking me when I got an alert I was being tracked” and that’s working exactly as designed then?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

I don't feel great barging in here with a big problem ...

iPhone battery replacement is $69, I would start there. If that solves it you should be able to recoup that if you just sell it after.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why can’t they at least center the camera so the phone doesn’t wobble as much

The front facing camera, face id and proximity sensors are already in the center.

I like the pixel camera approach of a bar across the whole back so at least it's stable.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nvm read wrong

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

As someone who's never had an iPhone, what would be a good recommendation for a used device to get into? I don't really want to spend more than 300USD. I've been looking into the XS series on swappa, but they are getting a little old.

Should I worry about the quality of *Brand New Aftermarket Screen!*? Would an SE 2nd or 3rd gen be a better option due to newer SoC's? After using big OLED display phones for so long I don't know how I'd feel about such a small LCD.

There's some good deals on iPhone 12s depending on who your carrier is.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

Aren't the guts exactly the same?

There's some slight differences between the 14 and the 13

6gb RAM vs 4gb RAM
5-core GPU vs 4-core GPU
Emergency SOS via Satellite
Dynamic Island
Action mode (image stabilization)
Comes in Yellow (very important)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wooger posted:

It’s been the case with every iPhone and iOS upgrade for a decade. Some more dramatic than others.

Maybe some of it is down to search indexing in the background or something following an update, but it’s very noticeable after an upgrade when the app switcher starts lagging.

Clear that they don’t do user acceptance testing on older supported devices, or else they don’t care about degraded performance.

I have never experienced this issue effecting “every single iPhone and iOS upgrade for a decade” hth