Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Got my 14 Pro a half hour ago.

The Canadian shipped units direct from Apple do have the sim tray, if anyone was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

calusari posted:

cool concept but the video shows massive frame drops when the ball hits the island.

Yeah the dev was just on Twitter yesterday saying they have framerate issues to sort out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just factory reset the new phone. As soon as you put it near the old one again once it boots back up from that, it'll ask you to do the phone to phone setup.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Holy poo poo the rear cameras on this phone are huge. Is this how Apple finally gets us to use a case? I’d need a dad-tier otter box to make them flush.

Yeah, I have a bit of trouble getting it to catch properly to start charging on my wireless charging power bank now. The bump is just enough to mean the positioning needs to be spot on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don’t. You’ll get used to it in like a day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

American McGay posted:

Hmm I dunno that’s a real head scratcher. Maybe if there were some sort of notifications settings menu somewhere.

They still start at the bottom, your options are just how condensed they are.

Most people look at their phone so much UI changes like this just replace your muscle memory very quickly. I thought the swipe based controls would take forever to get used to too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You kind of got it backwards. The kids think they're for olds now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Millennials are the middle aged/starting to become the olds now lmao

Sure, but zoomers are still The Kids for another 5 years or so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

i switched to firefox on my pc years ago, i think it may have even been pre-pandemic. i keep chrome installed just in case, but haven't actually run into a case yet where a site worked in chrome but not firefox. i use safari on my macbook, and i have run into the occasional site that doesn't load that i need to open chrome for, but even that is super rare now.

haven't tried changing the browser on my phone though. is it still the case that every browser on the iphone is required to just be a UI wrapper around the built-in safari renderer, or have they finally relaxed that?

I can't see video embeds on the forums here, like the one posted by Mister Facetious in the bird conversation or the one a few pages back showing the weird extra spin the timer on the island has.

I assume that's probably Firefox's fault, but it's minor and I can usually tell from context a video is missing and get the URL by quoting the post.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

there's no way that camera shaking problem is a 3rd party app's fault like the buzzfeed article suggests, unless they're using hidden APIs or something. whatever camera APIs/SDK apple exposes should not be able to rattle the camera hardware to the point that damage is (probably) occurring. even if the app had some way to command the OIS mechanism to rapidly sweep, there should be something rate limiting it behind the scenes to prevent it from doing whatever the hell it's doing in those videos.

3rd party apps don't even get access to the sensor shift.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also supposed to figure out your sleep/charging habits and start to turn off when it thinks you're sleeping.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

i would hope it would turn off immediately when you go to bed for the night or you enable a sleep focus mode or something. even at minimum brightness, my 13 pro screen puts out enough of a glow on the stand next to my bed to be annoying if it comes on for any reason at night.

It does if you use sleep focus.

But it's also supposed to learn from the time you put it on the charger and typically set your alarm and other metrics like that if you don't use focuses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also very picky about space above the subject, and since it only does crop by zoom and doesn't let you freely position the photo some just won't be compatible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fr3lm0 posted:

Use 2 fingers and you can also move the photo, not just zoom in and out.

Right, I meant you can't just slap the photo on there. The top of the photo can't be below the frame.

If I want a harder border on there it should let me drat it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's something in iOS, not the 3rd party apps themselves. 3rd party cameras can't even touch the sensor shifting stabilization, so it shouldn't have just been a matter of access time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but you're going to notice when there's a delay before it switches to Fire.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rafikki posted:

Where are y’all seeing that it’s processing photos?

Photo Shuffle lockscreen type for me. Still going after 6 days now.

I don't plan to use it but I keep checking to see just how slow it is. I have about 4000 photos so I'm leaning towards broken, not just slow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rafikki posted:

Hmm, I setup that Lock Screen a few days ago and don’t remember seeing that notice on my 12 pro max with around 6500 photos.

Yeah I read similar stuff when I googled it. That's why I'm thinking something broke with the scan.

I'm not sure how I'd reset that though. Rebooting the phone hasn't seemed to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It took 20 minutes last year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

The last time I used the Apple Store to preorder a phone, it was a pretty breezy affair. I spent 25 minutes having things error out before I was able to complete an order this time. It’s still supposedly arriving next Friday despite the time it took processing, so I wonder if Apple’s servers are just poo poo.

It was also down for 15 minutes or so for almost everyone else, so there wasn't a giant rush ahead of you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

smackfu posted:

All those multi chargers include a place for the AirPods and I just don’t charge mine that often. Maybe once a week? Compared to phone and watch which I do every night.

My Airpods are still Lightning, so I bought one of those dual chargers (I don't have a watch) or I'd still need to keep a Lightning cable.

I was also still using a 1st gen Pixel Stand which isn't really capable of holding an iPhone Pro horizontal very well so it was time to upgrade anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Can you charge a watch on that?

Probably technically, but the Airpod part has no magnet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just use a Spigen case because it's $15.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can do anything between 0.5x and 15x (Pro)/25x(Pro Max) but the iPhone doesn't have a variable lens so anything that's not the native magnification of the actual lens is just cropped. So the Pro's 3x will be technically better than the Pro Max's 3x, but perhaps not in a perceivable way for you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rolo posted:

Do iPhones still do a ton of indexing and such behind the scenes after an OS jump? I threw the beta on my 14 pro yesterday and the battery life has been noticeably doo-doo since.

Yes. It's going to have diminished battery life and probably even heat up a bunch for a couple of days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the new “use iMessage stickers everywhere” something that needs to be individual app supported?

It seems convenient as a way to make an emoji quickly using the photo lift thing but I don’t know how to access it after.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

New features with new integrations mostly, aside from the usual Spotlight search index. One example from last year, it would go through your photos library and choose photos that meet Apple's criteria of "Would be good for a lockscreen".

Mine still only has 3, and one was just taken in July.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snowy posted:

I just got a notification that my phone is being delivered tomorrow!

Then I logged into ups and it says Friday, oh well

That happens a lot. It’s street dated, but sometimes when it gets scanned into the system it briefly gives a delivery date of what it could be if not for that street date.

Apple would eliminate their bloodlines if anyone at ups let one out early.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

bad news photographer goon, it only detects good photos

(the wallpaper scanner does work but it kinda sucks and rejects a lot of images for no discernible reason. for landscape stuff it seems heavily biased towards standard sky-mountains-foreground style images)

Yeah my one Nature photo is of Galaxy’s Edge, just a solid full immersion shot with no theme park trappings visible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you want 15w in that style it’s pretty much just Belkin. Theirs are in the Apple store.

A few other manufacturers make 15w MagSafe stuff (including Anker) but they’re all weird designs or 3-in-1s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kri kri posted:

How do I get standby to work

Its enabled in settings but nothing happens when its on my belkin 3-in-1 charger

It’s supposed to just activate when the phone is in landscape, charging and on the lock screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kri kri posted:

yeah no worky, thanks tim apple

well i had to tap it to wake it up and i got the "welcome to standby" splash

now how to get a big rear end digital clock with nothing else

Swipe left to the full screen clock, then up/down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

lol the standby mode screen with two side-by-side widgets appears to only have analog clocks available

It also defaults to a City clock set to Cupertino instead of a local time clock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, stand by seems like it would be nice but it will not go off of Cupertino time. I removed Cupertino from my world clock set up (along with New York) and put cities in my time zone. Nope. I then specifically added a clock widget with current time as its main focus and still did not. I then changed the clock widget to four cities all within central time zone. Still nothing.

I am assuming the -2 on the clock is difference of time from my current set up so it knows where I am at, it just does not want to show it.

You're doing all this on the standby screen, right? Long press the clock so you get the wiggley edit screen, then press the clock widget again and changing the city?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don't understand why for Standby you have to choose a city for your clock rather than just showing you the time the phone is already displaying, but bigger.

For some reason, they chose to have the default for that mode be one of the City clock widgets. As in the widgets designed to show you the time for a city of your choice. A widget like that has its uses elsewhere, but bizarre to make it the default on a nightstand digital clock mode.

Vegetable posted:

There’s some really interesting stuff here at 4:50 about how the new iPhone can charge other devices — or be charged by them.

https://youtu.be/piYf4gDthjY?si=34viETcIQ-VswshX

They've even had the hardware to do reverse charging since the 12 generation, but it was restricted to charging the official Magsafe power bank when your iPhone was also plugged in by a cable.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 19, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My wife forgot her Airpods on a plane yesterday. Find My is still updating it as being at the gate within a few minutes ago. That means it is still being pinged and detected by other iPhones right? It would have a much longer time if it had last detected it there but wasn't still detecting it?

Yes. Someone may have actually turned it in instead of stealing it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

So far it really seems like Standby was made by people who aren't actually going to use it. Maybe some of these issues aren't the case for newer phones with always-on screens or something but I'm baffled by a few things.
- No option to leave the clock on the screen all the time. Given that Standby only enables when the phone is on charge, it can't be a battery saving issue.
- The default double-widget clock is set to Cupertino and not just "my location". I don't even see a way to set it to just be my current location?
- Requires you staying on charge to change settings, so it's a nightmare to change colours etc. if you're using a wireless (non-Magsafe) charger
- I had no idea what the middle view was since it just kept asking for my passcode. Turns out it's a photo gallery with a clock on it which is nice, but I'd like to be able to set specific albums that are allowed to show up there in case I'm using it in a public place like an office.
- When trying to edit any features, it needs to unlock the phone (reasonable) but defaults to FaceID so either I go through the extra steps to do PIN input, or I tilt my head 90 degrees to look at my phone like a confused puppy.

It's 100% made for the AOD phones and they just let it also be there for older ones for... reasons.

You can't change that specific clock to "my location", it always has to be a chosen city. That's what the widget is, "Time in City X". You can change it to a few local clock options though.

You can choose what albums the photo gallery uses.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does work with a cable but it also needs to be stable so you can't easily just plug it in and free-hand edit. It's pretty silly.

By default the options are the same auto-populated libraries they made for Photo Shuffle, but you can just long press then hit the + in the top left and add any album you want.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently the red screen is entirely ambient light and not based on the clock or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

The peak design case is super back ordered and has the same issue, you can scuff it with a fingernail and it never really heals. But that's an issue on leather cases too. And I've never really dug my nails into my phone case anyways.

So it's a valid critique I guess but it's pretty nitpicky imo

Good news! The color coating on the Pros is also easily scratched.