Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Oysters Autobio posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding the stats on the ore deposits wiki page but I did this and triangulated the highest spot of like 21% ultra high copper. I then take that and multiply my current 'Y' coordinate to know how deep I need to dig. For native copper then is 0.962 according to the wiki.. So if my 'Y' coord is 100, I dig down 4 levels or so, so that right? I dig down and do a propick, then dig out as far as my reach in every direction and pro pick. Rinse and repeat. Haven't found a single copper in this section, so is it only a probability or something?

Yeah, the ores are almost always 20-70 blocks down.

Two things to know about ores, they spawn as large, flat discs, and the propick alt-mode is god.

Easiest way to find buried treasure ore is to craft a bucket and go propicking in Density Search mode. That gives you the 21% Ultra High Native Copper result.

Then, you dig a hole down a block or two, and place the bucket of water so it flows down the hole. You can also reusse the water in a pond by digging down inside it if you can't make a bucket.

Jump in the hole, dig down about 10 Y levels. Dig a 2x1 hole to the one side of the shaft so you don't drown. Dig a 1x1 horizontal hole North and South, switch the propick to Node Search mode and whack the last block you can reach. If you find something on there, just dig in that direction and sink shafts up/down until you see ore.

If you don't find anything, go back to your water shaft, dig down another 10 Y levels, then dig the 1x1 horizontal East and West, propick in Node Search mode.

Repeat until the ore is found.

The NW/EW alternating search is because due to the way the ore generates in large flat discs, you get 90% of the search volume for half the effort. The water shaft is so you don't fall into a pit of drifters and die horribly, or dig out a cavern ceiling and fall to your death, or lava bath yourself. You can swim up the water, and with some use of spacebar, mine down without actually standing on the bottom block, so if you pop open a hole, you can gracefully ride the water tube to the ground, or swim back up, move over some, and try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't seen it mentioned, the rock type also needs to match which is usually a more restrictive rule to follow than the depth limits which mostly equate to "near surface" or "deep earth."

That also means the generator can confuse itself and you by rolling good ore chance here then fail to place anything because the parent geology doesn't quite line up with vertical restrictions but that's somewhat rare.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Arrath posted:

Resin is the worst. I'll often just cheat myself some and save the forest hunting effort.

Anecdotal, but I’ve had a few worlds where I found some absolute jackpots of resin. It was always in fairly dry forests with tons of pine trees growing in gravel and sand at the edge of a desert. I don’t know if it just made them easier to see being flat, but it’s worked pretty well so far.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Goreld posted:

Anecdotal, but I’ve had a few worlds where I found some absolute jackpots of resin. It was always in fairly dry forests with tons of pine trees growing in gravel and sand at the edge of a desert. I don’t know if it just made them easier to see being flat, but it’s worked pretty well so far.

Kinda same to be honest.

Or find yourself a commodities trader to live by.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I wanted to test out the rivers mod so loaded up a new test world. I'd never spawned into a warmer climate before so tried that out. Stumbled on bees twice in the first 20 minutes. in my last save it took me about 30 hours before I saw bees. Rivers mod is interesting but I think it needs a few tweaks. I'm a little more interested in seeing what can be done with worldgen mods in general because it can feel pretty exhausting traversing the world sometimes. I had Plains and Valleys on too and it's generated a pretty fun world to run around in.

Another user with both mods did some tweaked the starting settings and got some good results:

https://imgur.com/LJGGvSh

https://imgur.com/0taxm2c

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Goreld posted:

This is what I do as well. It is an actual biome I think and it spawns fairly regularly. You just may have to travel 500-1000 blocks.

It's very common to have to travel a thousand or more blocks to find something. Especially rock types.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
How many people in this thread dying like this https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1744330916602777808?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Hahaha pretty often. It's what got me to finally turn off 'lose items on death'.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
After disabling the temporal stuff as much as possible because that's not really what I'm interested in (passive drifters still spawn but don't attack, even when attacked), I'm doing pretty well in my current run. I have a two-story cobblestone house (most of the cobblestones came from tearing down ruins) with a basement for most of my storage. Also a small farm going with random crops, and plenty of berry bushes replanted around my house. I'm comfortably in the bronze tier, at least for now. I'm building the stuff I need for alcohol distillation at the moment, but I'll need to make another copper run soon since I needed a copper chisel and a bunch of copper plates. I got lucky and found some silver in the quartz mine in my basement so I have the solder taken care of - I found the quartz while digging out the basement and saw it as a good sign. I have a pasture with a ram and 2 ewes, and 4 troughs (and most of a wooden chest) full of dry grass. I even found a beehive so now I have a small fenced-in honey-making area.

Fun story: one of the ruins I dug out, near where I built my house, was deep enough that a pack of wolves fell in and couldn't get out. I left them alone for a while and they multiplied until there were at least a dozen down there. They'd all howl at the same time and it was a little eerie. Finally, I made a bow and took all the arrows I'd gotten from the passive drifters and cleared out the whole pack. The next day, I heard a howl and figured I'd missed one or a new wolf had fallen into the pit, so I went outside with my bow and got mauled to death by a white wolf who charged at me almost immediately. It was gone when I respawned and got back outside with a spear (I'm using the mod that lets you use a bed as a spawn point). I'm considering it a ghost wolf taking vengeance for all the wolves I killed in the pit.

Anyway, now I have a ton of raw hides and can't find limestone! I've ground up a handful of seashells, so I've got about 12 bits, but I don't think that will be enough. I've made 2 barrels of each tannin already, since that's all I can do at this point. I'm planning on a multi-day exploration trip soon to look for limestone, other ores (hopefully iron), and/or more traders. One of my cave-delves found a titanium deposit (narrowing down where the deposit was with the pro-pick was cool and now I get how that works), which felt great until I saw that it requires a tier 5 tool to break. Bronze is tier 3, so I've got a ways to go.

Leatherworking seems to have just a few too many steps. Otherwise, I have very few complaints so far with the game. Except that 1.19 isn't here yet (I know it's available, but mods aren't).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 14, 2024

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I kinda liked the surprise of making sure to get 3x 64 stacks of cut grass each day in the Fall so I would have enough to last my first winter with my barn full of boars, then slaughtering all the males once all the sows were pregnant, and discovering that they don't eat at all while pregnant (lol) so now I have a huge stockpile for spring or whenever the baby boars decide to pop out.

I'm going to need a new source of copper soon, but that'll have to wait until spring as I need better clothes for the cold and my trips around the area are pretty short as a result. I might have built a homestead too far North...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
You can also use borax for leatherworking if you find it but easiest way if you can't find limestone or chalk or whatever is probably commodities/survival trader

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Couple questions here:

1) Has anyone come across this bug before? I can't seem to build any crates. I'm definitely following the recipe, but nothing shows up in the output box. I've tried with different wood types and I've tried making "fresh" planks in case somehow the other ones were chiselled or something.

2) Any tips on finding slate? I need a new roofing material that doesn't take forever to craft like clay, and its for a new forge area so I don't want to use sod or wood. I know I should be able to find it under the first layer, but I've yet to find any so I wonder if I'm a bit too far north? Wiki doesn't have any info on how slate generates.

3) Is there anyway to change mapping for going down using ladders? Problem is that with shift-click being both place-item and go down ladders, when I'm trying to place ladders going up it's a stupid game of clicking shift really fast so I just go down a little bit. I know changing the mouse modifier options is possible (i.e. making place item different than shift+click) but that changes an already very memorized muscle memory for me.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I haven't played in a while but I think you can just right click a ladder while holding ladders to add a piece to the top.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Is there a mod that makes finding limestone / chalk less terrible? There are many things I love about this game, but "maybe you might find some limestone in 10,000 blocks, maybe you won't" is not one of them

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Umbreon posted:

Is there a mod that makes finding limestone / chalk less terrible? There are many things I love about this game, but "maybe you might find some limestone in 10,000 blocks, maybe you won't" is not one of them

I also had this problem and solved it indirectly by pillaging the limestone ruins from Better Ruins which seem to reliably generate in shale areas.

It really is a colossal pain in the arse to find normally and especially irritating if you want to make plaster.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Pilchenstein posted:

I haven't played in a while but I think you can just right click a ladder while holding ladders to add a piece to the top.

regular ladders you place by right clicking but rope ladders place with crouch + click so they can be trickier to use even though theyre way more convenient to pick up.

Umbreon posted:

My current solution has been living by a survival goods + commodities trader, added benefit of the commodities trader is that they often have casserite for sale as well, which means convenient bronze gear. Survival Goods usually buys a lot of low tech stuff - breads of each type, charcoal, honey, feathers, linen thread, etc - which is good as well cause it makes gears fairly easy to come by. Artisans are good too because any gemstones you get from panning will sell to them for like 10-20 gears depending on quality

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

piano chimp posted:

I also had this problem and solved it indirectly by pillaging the limestone ruins from Better Ruins which seem to reliably generate in shale areas.

It really is a colossal pain in the arse to find normally and especially irritating if you want to make plaster.

I'm assuming this needs to be applied before worldgen is done, correct? It's something to keep in mind for my next game but probably not this one right now.

idiotsavant posted:

regular ladders you place by right clicking but rope ladders place with crouch + click so they can be trickier to use even though theyre way more convenient to pick up.

My current solution has been living by a survival goods + commodities trader, added benefit of the commodities trader is that they often have casserite for sale as well, which means convenient bronze gear. Survival Goods usually buys a lot of low tech stuff - breads of each type, charcoal, honey, feathers, linen thread, etc - which is good as well cause it makes gears fairly easy to come by. Artisans are good too because any gemstones you get from panning will sell to them for like 10-20 gears depending on quality

To add insult to injury, in addition to limestone not being anywhere remotely close to my area, all the traders that are nearby are not survival ones or otherwise don't sell any limestone or chalk. It really, really blows

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Umbreon posted:

I'm assuming this needs to be applied before worldgen is done, correct? It's something to keep in mind for my next game but probably not this one right now.

To add insult to injury, in addition to limestone not being anywhere remotely close to my area, all the traders that are nearby are not survival ones or otherwise don't sell any limestone or chalk. It really, really blows

You could always switch over to creative mode and spawn one of the appropriate traders (or a bunch of limestone). That's what I might do if I don't find limestone soon. I've found one trader so far, and he's a clothing furniture trader. I haven't done a ton of exploring, but I've gone a day or so in each direction, checking all the patches of light gray surface stuff for limestone (it's all been andracite sand, gravel, or rocks).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 16, 2024

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Umbreon posted:

Use console commands to warp East or West 1,000 blocks at a time. Limestone and chalk are sedimentary layers so it should be pretty quick to determine if you've found it or not.

Once you've found out where you need to go, you can warp back home and do your Expedition to Limestone Mountain manually.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Hell yeah, just found my first iron ore vein. bunch of rich hematite nodes like 60 or 70 blocks deep, managed to hit it on my first shaft after some prospecting to find the highest percent (decent, 1.8%). Already have my helve hammer set up and a bunch of charcoal made as well, and there's bauxite less than half a day away for steel. Just have to find some borax now for the iron anvil.

My crops are mostly in with one last giant wave of turnips to come, i have like 8 sows blasting piglets out and a ton of bees, just gotta get the chicken house built and maybe see about luring another she-goat or two into my animal pit; only have one pair right now which is gonna be slow. Next immediate goal is probably digging out a deep copper vein so i can start plopping lanterns everywhere; already have an ultra-high 36% spot to check and another 31% spot for backup.

Other than pickaxe/propick what are the first things you all usually make with iron? or meteoric iron? There are a couple close craters that I havent dug up yet

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I've always wondered why the density mode search on the propick only tells you the chances of ore in a chunk rather than the truth. It's like the devs made the perfect mix between immersive and gameplay, looked at it and went "nah, let's make it bullshit everyone instead". Like am I missing something about how it works? Even if it actually did exactly what people expect it to do and tells you about the actual ores in a chunk, it still doesn't tell you WHERE they are, so it's not like it's making it too easy or something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Umbreon posted:

I've always wondered why the density mode search on the propick only tells you the chances of ore in a chunk rather than the truth. It's like the devs made the perfect mix between immersive and gameplay, looked at it and went "nah, let's make it bullshit everyone instead". Like am I missing something about how it works? Even if it actually did exactly what people expect it to do and tells you about the actual ores in a chunk, it still doesn't tell you WHERE they are, so it's not like it's making it too easy or something.
For gameplay better-or-worse it's a cipher for real life prospecting where you have statistical processes to guess what chance there is for a certain deposit to be underground somewhere depending on certain tell-tales in the environment.

Also have a tail wagging the dog thing going on here where that prospecting science served as the basis for building their geologic model so that percentage already exists in their data structures for world gen and making the propick spit out the number was the easiest thing in the world to program.

Also the reason you just can't tell that the ore is present even if you had no balance or immersion concerns is the same reason your game freezes if you turn propick on node search at top high of a setting: the game doesn't know it's there without checking all the voxels for it being there which is very inefficient with the current way voxels are stored.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

Other than pickaxe/propick what are the first things you all usually make with iron? or meteoric iron? There are a couple close craters that I havent dug up yet

Meteoritic iron - helve hammer, pulverizers, lanterns. It's mostly pretty stuff for me.

Iron - depends on if I have a good amount of bronze and/or copper nearby. If I do, then I focus on tools that I have to smith; knife, shears, saw, chisel. If not, then axe and shovel get added to that list in the middle. Making a knife and shears out of iron means way less time making new ones.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Pilchenstein posted:

sorry, not with rope ladders. Right click alone I believe adds ladders to the bottom, while you have to shift click to initially place or add any to the top. But the problem is that shift is also the button to descend, you end up having to press shift click super fast before you descend out of position. It's very annoying and I'm surprised it wasn't something caught in testing (unless I've somehow misconfigured the keymapping here myself from the defaults)

Umbreon posted:

I might be mistaken but I think some worldgen related mods can kick in for an existing seed when you discover new land (because the worldgen I believe only gets triggered when you discover tiles). So any mod that modifies that won't effect existing worldgen'd land, but would kick in for new land discovered.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 17, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It’s the other way around - crouch + right click places a rope ladder, right click alone picks it up. I just chop a cubby every 8–10 levels when I’m going down and use it to place from. If you’re propicking just base it off your search range and then it really isn’t any extra effort anyways

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Surprised I didn't see it posted here already but 1.19 is out. A few of my mods needed updating, some won't work at all at the moment (frustratingly including Carry On, which crashes the game when you put a reed basket on the ground) and others haven't been updated for ages but still work fine. Ran past a mountain and saw goats scaling the side of it, great experience.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

idiotsavant posted:

It’s the other way around - crouch + right click places a rope ladder, right click alone picks it up. I just chop a cubby every 8–10 levels when I’m going down and use it to place from. If you’re propicking just base it off your search range and then it really isn’t any extra effort anyways

Yeah there's no issues going down with a rope ladder. It's going up and placing them as you go where it gets finicky because you have to press crouch click to place new ladders *above* old ladders. (Unless I'm mistaken here and there's a better way)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Surprised I didn't see it posted here already but 1.19 is out. A few of my mods needed updating, some won't work at all at the moment (frustratingly including Carry On, which crashes the game when you put a reed basket on the ground) and others haven't been updated for ages but still work fine. Ran past a mountain and saw goats scaling the side of it, great experience.

That's great. I think however that I will wait at least until some mods get updated, I really want to experience Expanded foods on multiplayer this time. Teleportation network is another must. I think both of those have active updating though and they already have some RC beta versions out, so it shouldn't be too long. (Carry On is also very useful)

What kind of server hosting options are people using? I don't have the option to run a dedicated server myself, so it'd have to be some kind of rental server from Gportal or something that accepts mods. Hosthavoc seems to be recommended too. Is it hard to update the server / mods if you've never done that sort of stuff before?

Also, I guess a regular host join session would also be possible, just would have to set up a certain time for VS session for those who'd like to play.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 19, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Oh neat, do servers automatically update or do i gotta go in and manually do it? Im running a small server for my local friends

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I use Citadel, and it seems to work well. Nitrado hosed us over a few times with save file wipes.

You generally have to go in and manually push an update.

There's also a thing in settings I didn't see before where you can separate the button to change how right or left click work with items away from sprint and crouch, which should deal with the "placing of ladders" issue.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

TeaJay posted:

That's great. I think however that I will wait at least until some mods get updated, I really want to experience Expanded foods on multiplayer this time.

Yep, I've been waiting on that as well. They seem to be making progress in Discord, I'm hopeful that it will just be a day or two.

My pending mod list is:

- Expanded Food & Culinary Artillery (prereq): waiting for 1.19
- Geology Additions: waiting for 1.19, though if it takes too long I will just skip it this time.
- Butchering: ready (I tried this on a lark in 1.18 and it was surprisingly cool, though a bit gory, and I'm kinda ehhh about the bone pickaxe/bone arrows additions).
- Primitive Survival: ready (might be overkill with Expanded Food, dunno).
- Joy of Sailing: appears to be ready (never tried).
- Simple HUD Clock: appears to be ready (UI only so not vital).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I tried the Fantasy Creatures mod but they just spawn way too freaking many goblins.

Firearms is a really neat idea but it doesn't seem to want to load in 1.19 as of Wednesday. Luckily it's more mid to end game content anyway, so I can add it in when it's ready.

From Golden Combs is a necessity for me.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

HelloSailorSign posted:

There's also a thing in settings I didn't see before where you can separate the button to change how right or left click work with items away from sprint and crouch, which should deal with the "placing of ladders" issue.

Yeah I tried that already and it works but then requires you to rememorize another key binding for a super often used action just so when climbing up is easier. The tradeoff isn't worth it.

If anyone knows of a mod or .ini / config file I could edit to change the buttons for ascending and descending ladders that'd be amazing.

Also on v1.19, definitely check out the latest mod updates. A bunch of mods have already released compatible updates.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Did something change with Carry On? I was using Reed Baskets in 1.18 and I feel slower now in 1.19. I could outrun wolves (as a hunter), and now I can't.

:edit: I'm updated to the latest version.

Travic fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 22, 2024

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Is there a dedicated mod manager for the game? Thinking of starting up a 1.19 game, but the idea of having to manually update all my mods is daunting as hell.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’ve used this to some success
mod updater

Im having trouble getting past the loading screen on the newest stable version, have to wait for more mod updates to catch up.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Use fewer mods. :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

Tweak: Drifters can now also spawn on top of loose stones

:ohdear:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure I understand what that change implies, what are "loose stones" in this context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You could prevent drifter spawns in your cellar by putting stones on the floor tiles.