Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

It's literally physically impossible so that makes sense but how come nobody makes a ringworld

Nonsense! Just have sub-voxel coordinates. Then every so often as you head toward the pole an E/W row drops a single voxel and aligns on X.5, then back on .0 the next time, so on and so forth. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Swapped to a permadeath standard run and I really like the new 1.19 map - it lets you do useful map stuff that you should have a map for while not giving away the entire composition of everything within 500 blocks down to fruit trees. I do wish the vision range was a little bit shorter as it still reveals a ton wrt landscape but it's a nice balance between wilderness survival and the old map

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Aero737 posted:

Is anyone hosting/playing on a community server? I've been itching to get back into the game but solo can be a bit of a slog.

I'm also interested in trying out MP

buglord posted:

Aura Fury is one of the bigger ones, if not the biggest one. I was on there about a year and a half ago. Good people on there, no drama. There's another goon who played on there. In the "city center", which last I remember was a clearly defined area, you had to build things within theme/code. Most people seemed to have their own little satellite plots of land where they spent most of their time and then pour their extra resources into building in the city center to expand it out more. The people there are a helpful bunch too if you're short on something or need to borrow someone's gear to complete a tool.

Fully recommend checking them out.

Thanks! Does food spoilage work the same on MP? Cause only thing I worry about is that ostensibly the game world continues while I'm logged off, so how do you prevent all your food from spoiling just inbetween your own logins? Or do you just have to account for that with your food preservation?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Oysters Autobio posted:

I'm also interested in trying out MP

Thanks! Does food spoilage work the same on MP? Cause only thing I worry about is that ostensibly the game world continues while I'm logged off, so how do you prevent all your food from spoiling just inbetween your own logins? Or do you just have to account for that with your food preservation?

Last I played, they had heavily modified the food spoilage rate to account for an always on, multiplayer world. I would lose some of the less “shelf stable” items through it, especially if I had carried them in my personal inventory vs a store-room, but food spoilage was never a real concern for me when I had played, and im a fairly casual player.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Found some Olivine bits on the surface. Went down to mine it so I can get started on steel. It seemed to be going on for a long time so I fired up Block Overlay...

2199. After collecting around 300 from it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Oysters Autobio posted:

Food spoilage quickly becomes a non-issue once you start cooking and sealing them in crocks in a cellar. I have stews in my cellar that are good for around 2 years.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
today's 1.19 version update is pretty rough; using the handbook pretty regularly crashes the game. I've managed to somehow dupe a dozen leather, a few stacks of miscellaneous stuff like reeds and flax fibers, and a couple dry reflex bow staves by crashing tho so ymmv

edit: really don't want to go back to 1.18 now tho cause new ruins, new trees (mainly oak, walnut, & maple), and vendor setups are really nice

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 4, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After a quick 1.19 feature test I've been mostly waiting for the stable release version. And then likely gonna wait a little bit more to get mod support before starting a whole new game.

Last time we played multiplayer we didn't have stuff like Expanded foods. I've been since trying it out on SP and I'd really want it for MP as well now. But it'll likely be a bit until they can update.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

idiotsavant posted:

today's 1.19 version update is pretty rough; using the handbook pretty regularly crashes the game. I've managed to somehow dupe a dozen leather, a few stacks of miscellaneous stuff like reeds and flax fibers, and a couple dry reflex bow staves by crashing tho so ymmv

edit: really don't want to go back to 1.18 now tho cause new ruins, new trees (mainly oak, walnut, & maple), and vendor setups are really nice

Expanded Info appears to be the main culprit for crashes in v1.19, at least 9t was for me.

I'm on rc4 which I've got going stable after a more rough update, so I'm going to be waiting from now on before updating right away to give modders time to fix bugs and the like.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
This game is still completely playable and fun without mods, correct? I'm going to be playing this with my brother soon, And while I want to use different mods, it looks like they're still crashing the game on the release candidates.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Umbreon posted:

This game is still completely playable and fun without mods, correct? I'm going to be playing this with my brother soon, And while I want to use different mods, it looks like they're still crashing the game on the release candidates.

Oh yes. A lot of mods are pretty small and QOL and they should be working on the rc versions, like the HUD clock.

The stable current version 1.18 has all the mod support you'd want if you want to try some out later. It shouldn't be TOO long until they manage to put out stable 1.19 and that should start getting mod support pretty soon after that.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
For what it's worth, I just got into the game and decided to start with the v1.19-pre version and found that although a number of mods broke, many work fine or have been quickly updated. Glad I just went with the newest version overall.

I'm currently on v1.19-rc5 and at least the following mods work:

- Primitive Survival
- Zoom-in
- Medieval Mod
- Carry-on
- Expanded workbench
among others...

I'm missing a bunch but I've only had to shut off a few with the v.1.1.9rc updates, namely the Sailboat mod. Better Ruins also doesn't yet support 1.19 so I'm hoping for that to come out soon too.

For what it's worth, I'm glad I got into the game with the new first person animations. I watch older videos and can't imagine playing without them.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 6, 2024

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Did that extended foods mod get fixed for 1.19? That one looked incredible and I was hoping to wow my brother with it.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Not yet. I've been refreshing https://mods.vintagestory.at/expandedfoods every day for a week now, hoping.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Man, how do folks get the kind of resources that I see on some of these youtube tutorial videos? I'm not talking about the ones that are in creative mode but the playthrough type ones. I've been really enjoying Kurrazar's (sp?), but seeing him open up a chest full of 64 stack chunks of copper while I'm just sort of living paycheque to paycheque with resources found on lucky surface deposits (I'm in the bronze age but sort of just barely). I've been following all the prospecting guides but can't seem to hit any of these supposedly massive nodes yet but I haven't been super methodical with my prospecting.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Man, how do folks get the kind of resources that I see on some of these youtube tutorial videos? I'm not talking about the ones that are in creative mode but the playthrough type ones. I've been really enjoying Kurrazar's (sp?), but seeing him open up a chest full of 64 stack chunks of copper while I'm just sort of living paycheque to paycheque with resources found on lucky surface deposits (I'm in the bronze age but sort of just barely). I've been following all the prospecting guides but can't seem to hit any of these supposedly massive nodes yet but I haven't been super methodical with my prospecting.

You hit like one rich node. That's literally it. Finding a node sets you for a good while.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Oysters Autobio posted:

Its not really as sexy, but I would just walk x meters, dig a 1x1 nerdhole downwards, use the propick (including that one mod that charts your findings on the minimap, you probably know the name), then resurface and keep on going. based on the propick readings, I would know whether or not the adjacent chunks had anything above a trivial amount of the metal i was looking for. It feels a little cheesy and even cheaty, but I spent far, far too much time going through natural cave formations.

also dont make the same mistake I did and pass up all the cassiterite because you don't realize that means tin. I spent a handful of hours not realizing that the metals people were referring to had different ingame names. that was a fun one.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Oysters Autobio posted:

Actual proper ore veins underground can be stupid huge, sometimes large enough that you'll never reasonably exhaust them and are basically set on that ore for life. I'll always be reminded of the communal copper mine on a server ages back, that never ran dry even though there were like eight players mining it.

But yeah, finding them is the issue. Unless your gonna break out the pen and paper, you'll need that one mod that autowrites prospecting results to your map, then search for local peaks on the ore readouts. Basically, prospect a chunk, then the next few chunks in a line, if they are going down in %, go back and prospect in a different direction, repeat and follow the increase until you find the chunk with the highest readout, then dig down and search.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Oysters Autobio posted:

I'm fully in the bronze age for pretty much the first time and while I'm not loaded with copper I have a few stacks just from exploring around and digging out surface deposits. I'm set up next to a commodities trader and most of my bronze has come from selling to other traders and buying casserite from him, with a little from gold & silver I've panned out of bony soil. I'm stretching the black bronze by making extra and filling a spare ingot mold - 16 cu/2au/2ag makes 100 black bronze, but if you add more copper you can make some extra - 21 cu/2au/2ag makes 125 units total, so if you get enough to make 4 ingots you can make a 5th for free basically.

If I can I try and make my first prospecting pick bronze, and then just bring it everywhere I explore and make sure I take frequent samples. Right now my best result is like a 31% very high copper location and if/when I want to pump copper production I'll just poke around there until I find the deep node and that should set me up for a long time for copper afaik. The challenge now is gonna be finding iron; best result so far is like 1%.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Actually cancel that; the challenge now is finding some drat resin :argh:

I’m all ready to get a windmill up and running for the first time - have plenty of linen, lots of fat, lots of planks & a chisel, basically everything I’d need to set things up but no drat resin anywhere. Gonna be stuck waiting for the dang commodities guy to refresh his inventory

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The mod "Show resin on all sides (of a tree)" helps quite a bit since with that you can spot resin just by travelling normally and don't have to specifically go looking for it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Oo, didn’t realize that was a thing. That’s a definite install then

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah thats one of those little QoL mods I wish they would implement into the core game. Just put the drat resin leak on all (vertical) sides of the log!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The game could really use a resin tap item. Finding resin is fine as is you just shouldn't have to find a new tree for every resin. Let me slap a resin pipe and bucket on there.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Go back to the same tree after a while (maybe a week or so?), and the resin has re-oozed. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
No I've had the same thought - they respawn after a few days but it's so critical to later tech that it would be nice to have something to actively get it vs hoping to get lucky and find a spawn

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah I mean look I've made a windmill before. I've scoured the pine barrens and marked my map and developed a ten mile hike that filled up a pocket with resin. It's fun and rustic and interesting... one time. Every time after that I'd rather just be able to grow a stand of pine trees and slap some buckets on them.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

idiotsavant posted:

I'm fully in the bronze age for pretty much the first time and while I'm not loaded with copper I have a few stacks just from exploring around and digging out surface deposits. I'm set up next to a commodities trader and most of my bronze has come from selling to other traders and buying casserite from him, with a little from gold & silver I've panned out of bony soil. I'm stretching the black bronze by making extra and filling a spare ingot mold - 16 cu/2au/2ag makes 100 black bronze, but if you add more copper you can make some extra - 21 cu/2au/2ag makes 125 units total, so if you get enough to make 4 ingots you can make a 5th for free basically.

If I can I try and make my first prospecting pick bronze, and then just bring it everywhere I explore and make sure I take frequent samples. Right now my best result is like a 31% very high copper location and if/when I want to pump copper production I'll just poke around there until I find the deep node and that should set me up for a long time for copper afaik. The challenge now is gonna be finding iron; best result so far is like 1%.

Maybe I'm not understanding the stats on the ore deposits wiki page but I did this and triangulated the highest spot of like 21% ultra high copper. I then take that and multiply my current 'Y' coordinate to know how deep I need to dig. For native copper then is 0.962 according to the wiki.. So if my 'Y' coord is 100, I dig down 4 levels or so, so that right? I dig down and do a propick, then dig out as far as my reach in every direction and pro pick. Rinse and repeat. Haven't found a single copper in this section, so is it only a probability or something?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just discovered bees in winter the fun way. By chopping down a tree without looking, getting honeycomb, and being stung until I left the area. I see that I can get wax or honey from them. Is it both or random which I get?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Oysters Autobio posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding the stats on the ore deposits wiki page but I did this and triangulated the highest spot of like 21% ultra high copper. I then take that and multiply my current 'Y' coordinate to know how deep I need to dig. For native copper then is 0.962 according to the wiki.. So if my 'Y' coord is 100, I dig down 4 levels or so, so that right? I dig down and do a propick, then dig out as far as my reach in every direction and pro pick. Rinse and repeat. Haven't found a single copper in this section, so is it only a probability or something?

It could also be a deep native copper deposit, which go from 0 to .6 depth.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A resin tap that requires iron would be pretty nice.

Let us tap other trees too. Maple Trees!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

Actually cancel that; the challenge now is finding some drat resin :argh:

I’m all ready to get a windmill up and running for the first time - have plenty of linen, lots of fat, lots of planks & a chisel, basically everything I’d need to set things up but no drat resin anywhere. Gonna be stuck waiting for the dang commodities guy to refresh his inventory

Resin is the worst. I'll often just cheat myself some and save the forest hunting effort.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Steelion posted:

It could also be a deep native copper deposit, which go from 0 to .6 depth.

Would the propick specify which type of native copper deposit it's found? Like does it say "Deep Native Copper" or is it just flat "Native Copper" for both types?

If it says the same for both, that would explain a lot better my lack of finding anything in that spot.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Couldn't find a basic mod but I did a quick lap through the forest close to me and found 3 or 4 trees now that I know i have to look on each side. That'll at least be enough for a basic quern setup that I can manually swap out for a helve hammer, and should be enough after a few rounds to set up the whole gear ratio + transmission, etc. Now I just need to scavenge enough sandstone blocks for my windmill portion.

one question for chickens - do hens have to sit on the nest for the entire period the eggs need to be incubated without being disturbed at all, or is it cumulative? My chickens are in a fenced yard well away from my main structure so I don't really disturb them in the normal course of things but if I run by on a trip or something and rile them up do I reset any nesting process?

Need to start crocking some stews soon, my initial pit trap got about 8 or 9 pigs and its way too drat many rn

chainchompz posted:

Just discovered bees in winter the fun way. By chopping down a tree without looking, getting honeycomb, and being stung until I left the area. I see that I can get wax or honey from them. Is it both or random which I get?

afaik if you break a wild hive you potentially get some of both; if you break a harvestable skep you only get honeycomb

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
What's the best strategy for getting chickens? My farm trap has so far gotten me boars, goats, and one hare.

I also learned the fun way that bears can climb onto roofs 2-3 blocks up. I guess I should put fences around my homestead.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 8, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Find a chicken spawn as close to your base as you can and chase them into your trap. They run directly away from you & they go pretty fast so it isn’t too hard; just don’t run them into any holes between you & the base. Not sure if the reds basket traps in 1.19 work properly yet; I tried them a few times but never caught anything

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There was a mod that allowed you to tap a tree and use a bucket to capture resin, but I think it broke with one of the 1.18 versions.

I've noticed this mod which allows any tree a player plants to have the same % chance of gaining resin as the worldgen trees. Along with the 'all sides' mod it could perhaps save on the long journeys to get resin without feeling too much like cheating.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/6601

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

DrVenkman posted:

There was a mod that allowed you to tap a tree and use a bucket to capture resin, but I think it broke with one of the 1.18 versions.

I've noticed this mod which allows any tree a player plants to have the same % chance of gaining resin as the worldgen trees. Along with the 'all sides' mod it could perhaps save on the long journeys to get resin without feeling too much like cheating.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/6601

I had a look at the source code (becuase I am always suspicious), and it's using Harmony's Transpiler feature :catstare:

I assumed it would just be a little patch to a method, but no, dude's doing dark magic with the IL to make resin blocks grow.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

chainchompz posted:

When you squeeze the honeycomb in hand into a container (bowl, bucket), the honey goes into the container and the wax stays in your inventory. You always get both.

Expanded Foods allows you to tap trees for various things. Pine and acacia for resin, maple and birch for syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Awesome. Thanks all. Right after I posted I got chickens into my farm, and hadn't messed with the honeycomb yet.

I'm faring better than expected this first winter. Looking forward to exploring again come spring. For now I'm doing stuff like chiseling steps up the nearby mountain, building add-ons to the homestead, and some light metalwork. Still need to find stuff to make bronze, but that's a Spring job.