Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

acidx posted:

Gives a good sense of just how pissed off people are at the Iranian government.

https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1597805116920565760

Wow. If the U.S. seems good compared to your government, your government has hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The US stands here grinning hard but also sad that they can't have their holy war.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Iran can also go hard on the Kurdish cities as a warning to other cities without as much risk of provoking things nationally (albeit that calculus likely is off... the unrest has been largely across ethnic lines). It's basically the Syrian model of attacking one city exceptionally hard to warn the others, eg the Hama massacre(s) in the 1980s or the city sieges early in the Syrian civil war.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I don't have much to say other than I continue to be amazed at how hard Iranians are fighting to make positive change to their country, and I wish them well. I also just need to post because having too high of a density of twitter posts makes my pc lag.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Mental posted:

What the gently caress is this about? What does Kurdistan have to do with this at all?
They targeted the PDKI. They're a border-hopping Kurdish insurgent group that spans the Iraqi-Iranian border but with hideouts in the mountains on the Iraqi side.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 30, 2022

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The PDKI sounds pretty cool

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

acidx posted:

Gives a good sense of just how pissed off people are at the Iranian government.

https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1597805116920565760

I'm presuming there's shops selling US flags at every corner when an anti-west crowd wants to burn one, so it's no effort to get one to wave at an anti-ayatollah demonstration.

Hungarian flags might be harder to find at short notice though.

Samovar posted:

Wow. If the U.S. seems good compared to your government, your government has hosed up.

I'm sure it's just a symbol of individual freedom against moral police etc. Like someone waving a Soviet flag in an anti-capitalist demonstration does not necessarily support Brezhnevist stagnation and KGB and military quelling of protests.

Although it would be quite amusing if there was some closet hyper pro-American guy in Tehran with his home lined with Union Jacks and pictures of Ronald Reagan, and all these years he's just been waiting for his moment to shine. YEEHAA AMERICA AKBAR! :911::clint:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Iranian people were pretty significantly pro-America 20 years ago, particularly younger/urban and that continued as many people grew up sharing pirated american tv shows and stuff. That affinity has definitely not disappeared, though it's no doubt diminished somewhat.

It's hard to overstate just how much Iran's government does not in any way represent the views of significant numbers of Iranians.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Samovar posted:

i would wager this is the case in a fair sized majority of governments on earth. they;'re mostly pretty bad

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Nenonen posted:

I'm sure it's just a symbol of individual freedom against moral police etc. Like someone waving a Soviet flag in an anti-capitalist demonstration does not necessarily support Brezhnevist stagnation and KGB and military quelling of protests.

You also see a lot of pro-shah stuff in Iran for the same reason. For the youth he's a symbol of a government that isn't dominated by religious extremists. But I'm sure if the Iranian government collapsed, and everyone was standing around in the aftermath, it's not like they would all be like well what's Reza Pahlavi up to these days? Lets get this monarchy poppin again!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Nenonen posted:

Union Jacks

Jolly good show old chap, the sign of a true blue American bloke indeed! God bless King Charles!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Jolly good show old chap, the sign of a true blue American bloke indeed! God bless King Charles!

I always forget that the correct nick name for US flag is "Stars and Bars" :dumb:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Nenonen posted:

I always forget that the correct nick name for US flag is "Stars and Bars" :dumb:

Stars and Bars is the confederate flag. Stars and Stripes is the name for the US flag.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Although it would be quite amusing if there was some closet hyper pro-American guy in Tehran with his home lined with Union Jacks and pictures of Ronald Reagan, and all these years he's just been waiting for his moment to shine. YEEHAA AMERICA AKBAR! :911::clint:
I think you'd be surprised, they probably think Stalin was too much of a softie to implement proper communism :v:

But I think the larger point stands, people just don't know or care too much about the details. There were some protests in poland against authoritarianism with crossed out flags of the hammer and sicle, swastika, and... the three arrows.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

acidx posted:

You also see a lot of pro-shah stuff in Iran for the same reason. For the youth he's a symbol of a government that isn't dominated by religious extremists. But I'm sure if the Iranian government collapsed, and everyone was standing around in the aftermath, it's not like they would all be like well what's Reza Pahlavi up to these days? Lets get this monarchy poppin again!

Dumb history question. When Iran kicked out the Shah in 79, it was ostensibly a student revolution, right? How did a theocratic government emerge from that? The last thing I can I imagine a bunch of angry students arguing for is more religion in their lives.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Shah ran away in the very beginning of the unrest. Alot of different fractions was fighting for power, but the military was noticably not calling the shot. People died mysteriously (less radical leaders), and Iran Islamic Republic ended up with a very unique political structure.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dumb history question. When Iran kicked out the Shah in 79, it was ostensibly a student revolution, right? How did a theocratic government emerge from that? The last thing I can I imagine a bunch of angry students arguing for is more religion in their lives.

The revolution was supported by people all of all demographics in the beginning, but Khomeini was the figurehead and leader. Once the shah fell, he quickly went to work with crushing any internal opposition, culminating with the massacres of political prisoners in '88.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_executions_of_Iranian_political_prisoners

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also the Khomeini portrayed himself as not being that fundamentalist. He was actually in exile in France for quite a bit of it, and would talk to western media about just wanting to free his people, and not really wanting power.

From what I read Iraq invading not long after he got in also helped stop the other groups from being able to gain support to oust him, as everyone was pretty occupied with not being invaded, and even unpopular governments usually gain support when outside parties are invading them.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
This is all very important and I don't want to limit anything being posted

That being said, can we cap videos/tweets to 3-4 per post? The current amount makes it extremely hard to load this page when there's multiple ones. Feel free to double post if necessary

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I also seem (and if this is wrong, please chastise me) to remember reading that it was a response to both the corrupting capital of the West which had for so often undermined Persia/Iran as well as to the secular threat of Communism. It was seen as an alternative that had never been truly tried, and would be specific to Iran?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There's lots of different types of students. If anyone's not a monolithic group it's them. A very significant and well-organized portion of students in Iranian were those undergoing religious education, in effect studying to become part of the Iranian ulema. There were alot of these, they adored Khomeini and they had been radicalized by their own leaders' rethoric, anger at Western imperialism and the monarchy's anti-clerical policies. Alot of these students to be noted IIRC also came out of the "bazari" class, the old rural-urban commercial (lower) middle class, who were often seen as conservative and devout and placed alot of value in their children getting a prestigious education in Islamic law and theology. Furthermore that class was radicalized by most of the same issues and also in general by just having their means of work and income under threat in general, as would be the case for a developing country.

Also worth noting that Iran is somewhat unique among Islamic countries, in having developed a very hierarchically organized, unified and independent-minded religious establishment. There have been clashes, compromises and the like between the state/monarchy and the religious establishment in other Islamic countries, notably Saudi Arabia (where very notable societal changes occured as a result of that in 1979 and were only recently rolled back), but the Iranian case is still unique in just the sheer organizational size and strength of it. It's the closest thing you get to a "church" in the Islamic world I'd say, the norm is usually much more loosely organized. There had been tensions between this religious establishment and the monarchy since the 19th century really, but it really increased in ferocity following Reza Shah's seizure of power and his ambitious centralist, modernist and anti-clerical reform program.

I think there is a tendency in the West to see the Iranian Revolution almost purely as an "external factors" event, focusing primarily on the 1953 coup that toppled Mossadegh and the fallout from that to explain the revolution. This however often seems to fail at understanding the already present internal tensions and the unique position of the Iranian religious establishment that had evolved and its increasingly antagonistic relationship with the monarchy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

what's going on

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/4/iran-prosecutor-general-signals-morality-police-suspended

quote:

Tehran, Iran – Iran has suspended its morality police as the country continues to deal with two months of protests, the Iranian prosecutor general has suggested.

The protests erupted shortly after the death of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman who was arrested by a unit of the morality police in Tehran for allegedly not adhering to the country’s mandatory dress code for women.

Speaking on Saturday at an event aimed at “outlining the hybrid war during recent riots”, which is how Iranian officials describe alleged foreign influence in the unrest, prosecutor general Mohammad Jafar Montazeri was quoted as saying by local media the morality police operations are over.

The morality police “has no connection with the judiciary and was shut down by the same place that it had been launched from in the past”, he said, reportedly answering a question on why the morality police has been shut down.

There were no other confirmations that work of the patrolling units – officially tasked with ensuring “moral security” in the society – has been terminated. Montazeri also did not say the morality police has been indefinitely scrapped.

Moreover, there was no indication the law that imposes the mandatory dress code will be terminated.

But the force’s white and green vans, which were tasked with telling people on the streets to fix their headscarves or took them in to so-called “re-education” centres if deemed required, have not recently been seen around Tehran or other cities.

This seems like a sort of victory, but it's not yet clear if this is a permanent change. It's also totally insufficient after HUNDREDS have died in protests. Hopefully it's a sign that the regime's power is cracking and they will rather ease the pressure instead of going full Tiananmen.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Nenonen posted:

what's going on

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/4/iran-prosecutor-general-signals-morality-police-suspended

This seems like a sort of victory, but it's not yet clear if this is a permanent change. It's also totally insufficient after HUNDREDS have died in protests. Hopefully it's a sign that the regime's power is cracking and they will rather ease the pressure instead of going full Tiananmen.

It's a smaller step that it seems. The Gasht-e-Ershad or morality police forces were only established in 2006 by the Ahmadinejad administration to harass people who dress too casually or behave in other ways the ultraconservatives deem inappropriate. As I understand, they're not particularly deeply integrated in the state security apparatus, but rather auxiliaries to the regular police.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Here's hoping the uprising doesn't take the bait. God knows there'll be commentators trying to push it as a huge reform.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nenonen posted:

what's going on

I don’t think the protests are ending anytime soon probably. If they did this a week in, sure. But now is way bigger than just the morality busybody perverts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nenonen posted:

what's going on

I don’t think the protests are ending anytime soon probably. If they did this a week in, sure. But now is way bigger than just the morality busybody perverts.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah like I suggested a few days ago, the supreme leader could have thrown some middle management moral police to the court to appease the crowd.

China did an almost complete 180 on covid lock down policy as soon as the covid protests spread. There were other protests intermixing in it but mainly anti zero covid protests.

Does anyone know the employed number of the moral police?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nenonen posted:

what's going on

It was too late for months ago as others have said. I kind of expected this to be one of the only moves the government would be willing to make, but if they were hoping it would have a decisive effect they were waaay too late. The only purpose this can serve is to possibly be another thing chippin away at the energy of the protests as they are slowly ground down under the boot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nenonen posted:

what's going on

This is a move you only make when things have gone completely off the rails.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean is it better - by which I mean a higher chance of success for the dissidents - for things to de-escalate and carry on as extraction of concessions, civil disobedience and intimidation of local officials? Because it seems there's no hope of winning an open fight and neither the regime nor the protestors want to have one.

That said I'm absolutely not one of the quisling bastards pontificating that the Iranians/Syrians/Libyans just need to spend another generation or two in slavery because they're ~not ready~ for democracy.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Borzou has been as reliable as anyone on Iran for years.

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1599426939474755584

What I've seen lately makes it seem like Iran is preparing itself for the long haul if anything. Lots of riot gear and equipment coming in.

acidx fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 4, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The morality police has been disbanded.

While this is good, it may fuel the fire with some "what ELSE can we change", energy from the resistance

Which isn't bad! But it's unknown. Will Iran descend into civil war? Time will tell

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The morality police has been disbanded.

While this is good, it may fuel the fire with some "what ELSE can we change", energy from the resistance

Which isn't bad! But it's unknown. Will Iran descend into civil war? Time will tell

I don't think its enough, they know something else will take their place.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think its enough, they know something else will take their place.

And that's what I mean, even though taking the morality police is great and all it's not going to stop the protests. Just because you put a rainbow star on the Gestapo doesn't mean they're still not the Gestapo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's a smaller step that it seems. The Gasht-e-Ershad or morality police forces were only established in 2006 by the Ahmadinejad administration to harass people who dress too casually or behave in other ways the ultraconservatives deem inappropriate. As I understand, they're not particularly deeply integrated in the state security apparatus, but rather auxiliaries to the regular police.

What is Ahmadinejad doing these days besides shitposting on twitter? Retirement?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

acidx posted:

What I've seen lately makes it seem like Iran is preparing itself for the long haul if anything. Lots of riot gear and equipment coming in.

to make this more clear, since a bunch of people posted after talking about the disbandment

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1599396059251253249

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

acidx posted:

yeah that's my impression. even Iranians don't seem to think that that report was anything other than a misreading of a confusing statement

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I just realized that I've not seen this thread in a while. Has there been any major updates.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's still going, but there's nothing fundamentally new I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Samovar posted:

I just realized that I've not seen this thread in a while. Has there been any major updates.

They made Bush president now