Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I feel like I hear about earth-shaking protests in Iran like every 4 months. Seem to be shooting to defeat the French for riot-loving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Yes queen! Gender equality at last!!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah, and I know this makes me sound like a neo con probably, but how can we get these people weapons or how can they get it? Because the rubicon has been crossed, everyone is not going to go back to the status quote, and the government of Iran will respond with extreme violence due to it being humiliated and fear of being toppled. The people deserve the right to not be stock with rocks against Iranian military hardware.

They’re Kurds. there’s like 25 separatist orgs that are already loaded up with weapons leftover from ISIS fight, the American Iraq invasion, various black markets that are going to swarm in now that there’s a faint opportunity.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I'm wondering if conceding the hijab issue will be enough to disarm things or if it will just embolden them more

edit: rereading his tweets i don’t think he’s conceding the issue at all

Most of historys revolutions are people being extremely mad about one specific policy or event, the guys in charge standing firm, opportunists and people with grievances then making everyone mad about the policy be mad about other things and the guys in charge then conceding in the policy after the protests have become about everyone who’s ever been mad at them about anything ever. Doesn’t mean the regime won’t win (I think it’s likely since I don’t really see them having a limit to their ruthlessness) but it’s going to end ugly nmw now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Inshallah.

It's really difficult for me to get a good feeling of what's going on on the ground, but if the sorts of protests we've seen earlier are still going on, it's definitely a good sing. I don't think any regime, no matter how violent or coercive, can survive when the majority of the people are taking a stand against it.

Tell that to Burma

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

If the protests keep going we'll probably see some power struggle between monarchy supporters and actual democratic protesters, there were already fights in uh I think London, between right-wing monarchists, and Kurdish + left-wing protesters. I hope it doesn't get too bad. There's been a lot of chants against both the current government and the monarchy as well in big cities at least, from what I've seen.

It would probably reach a compromise like post-Franco Spain did of constitutional figurehead (not really since you’re never a figurehead with that much fame and attention) monarchy p quickly if it got to that point and the monarchist faction actually exists and is sizeable instead of being some dudes just trolling tbh.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 13, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

She should have just asked for sanctuary status somewhere as soon as they said she would be sent to prison upon return so she didn't have to make some fake apology

Her family’s still in Iran. They would’ve immediately had a bunch of “parking tickets” show up and been arrested

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Your joke reminded me that the Iranian calendar is very different from ours. It's especially confusing to see them use a Gregorian month and day at the same time.

their months are based on the zodiac and line up exactly with them so they should have just said scorpio season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Nenonen posted:

what's going on

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/4/iran-prosecutor-general-signals-morality-police-suspended

This seems like a sort of victory, but it's not yet clear if this is a permanent change. It's also totally insufficient after HUNDREDS have died in protests. Hopefully it's a sign that the regime's power is cracking and they will rather ease the pressure instead of going full Tiananmen.

This is a move you only make when things have gone completely off the rails.